2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, 9 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2664212 07/26/17 09:55 PM
G
GT6 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I recently wrote a thread about a new Celviano ap450 I`d love to purchase.
I did realize however, that the 450 Did not include everything I wanted, (I know I don`t *need* these functions, I`d still love to have them), but a rhythm bank, and a diverse set of tones. I also wanted, more imporatantly, a split function (that does not exclude bass tones- which is what the Celviano ap450 does.

I came across Privia pianos that offer what I`d like. But, is there a difference in sound quality?
If it really comes to it, I can ditch the Privia because of the sound quality, regardless of it`s features.
My goal is to get something as similar as a Clavinova; but because my price range is tight, I can only afford either a Casio Privia (760 or 780) or Celviano (450).

Thanks.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
. . . I also wanted, more importantly, a split function (that does not exclude bass tones- which is what the Celviano ap450 does.

Usually, "split" is used when you want a bass tone ("acoustic bass", "pick bass", etc) in the LH, and something else (piano, electric piano, organ) in the RH.

. . . The AP450 will do that, with the BASS 1 and BASS 2 tones in the LH.

What you _can't_ do, on the AP450, is choose _any_ tone for the LH -- it's just BASS 1 or BASS 2. And you can't change the "split point" (F# below middle C).

There is an AP450 restriction on _layering_:

You cannot layer the BASS 1 or BASS 2 tone with another tone.

I think the PX-350 has the same restriction -- you can layer tones in the RH, and split the keyboard, but only _one_ tone can play in the LH. However, with the PX350, you can put _any_ single tone into the LH, and you choose the "split point".

I think what Casio has done, is to divide the buying public into two parts:

. . . People who want a _piano_, with a limited number of tones (PX-150 / PX-160 / etc)

. . . People who want a _stage piano_ or "arranger piano" (auto-accompaniment, rhythms), with a full gamut of tones and adjustable "split point" (PX-350 / PX-360 etc, and their cabinet equivalents).

There may be some "crossover" models -- I don't know the whole line.

If you want "stage piano" or "arranger" capabilities, a PX-350/ PX-360 or a PX-780 (= PX-350 in a cabinet, bigger amps, same speakers) are good choices. One of the Yamaha "DGX" series will also work -- I tried one, didn't like it as much as the Casio. But people on this forum are happy with them.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
S
S
The Privia PX5-S is pretty good...Great key action with Ivory feel keys...260 tones 4 zones that can be layered with 6 different tones each...built in arpeggiator...hex layer synth...can be used as a midi master controller...live to usb recording...only 26 pounds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4acahS0yU68

M
M
Swain: I agree with you on the merits of the Casio PX-5S. However:

(1) It has a small LCD screen and a steep learning curve. Once you learn the ins and outs of the PX-5S, it's peerless at its price point IMO, but it ain't easy to get to that stage.

(2) For new buyers, I suggest you check out the PX-560, with its large color touchscreen and most (but not all) of the features of the PX-5S.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
I'm pretty sure the AP-650 does everything you want it to do, but it costs more than the AP-450. It does occasionally go on sale at costco.ca, though. That's how I got mine -- it was on sale for $1099 in November 2015.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
D
D7K Offline
D
Originally Posted by moleskincrusher
Swain: I agree with you on the merits of the Casio PX-5S. However:

(1) It has a small LCD screen and a steep learning curve. Once you learn the ins and outs of the PX-5S, it's peerless at its price point IMO, but it ain't easy to get to that stage.

(2) For new buyers, I suggest you check out the PX-560, with its large color touchscreen and most (but not all) of the features of the PX-5S.

Actually using the Stage settings is very easy. The PC App makes doing all of the hard stuff easy. I bought a refurb with factory 3 year warranty 3 years ago for $650 and think I got the deal of the century.

I don't gig (which is what the PX-5s was designed for) but I use it in a home studio where you use a combination of the PX-5s sounds and the midi controller it is a beast, and in stead of a same screen I use a 4K TV and 4K monitor for music display with programs I can use the pedal to turn pages.

I run mine through a set of studio speakers and of course good head phones. It has a very good USB hookup for computer as well as real midi in/outs plus 1/4" in/out and two sets rca head phones (use mini with adapter).

I currently use mine with Samplitude and the GPO for orchestration. Unless you can find a refurb, I'd go new because most of these are used by gigging guys and gals and might have had a hard life.

I agree the new PX560 while more expensive is probably a better buy if you just want to play and not use the synth, I think the USB is the same. Both are instruments you won't outgrow soon IMHO.

I am now thinking about adding a software piano as I really like the sound of the Steinway D that is included in the GPO, but I like the sounds of the various pianos I the PX-5s (but what do I know?).

The fact that is DP is soooo light is also a big deal if you have to move it or take it down for a while. I might be a fan boy YMMV.

Last edited by D7K; 08/21/17 11:39 AM.

Jeff
Casio PX-5S Pro - my new adventure
Yamaha p105 - gone but not forgotten
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
If I had a car I may would have considered something like the Korg Kronos or the Yamaha Montage\Motif(or whatever is the Yamaha flagship model).

It's not such a big deal to take from home to the car, from the car to a rehearsal room, etc...

But since I'm relying on public transportation, and not always have the fortune to get a ride from a band member, the Casio PX-5S is my goto instrument for any band situation.

It is really an issue to lug around with something so heavy, when sometimes I have to walk a mile or two to get to the bus\train station and back.
In fact, the PX-5S is heavy enough to make me feel unpleasent when walking with it a long way, but at least it is tolerable.

M
M
Overpriced ($145) but in your situation maybe worth considering is the Gator GK88SLIM keyboard case, which has wheels and a tow handle.

S
S
Yeah, it has a learning curve...but learning is fun, right? :p

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission