2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
OP Offline
S
Eric:
No, I did look around to see how easily I might remove some covering but decided I had neither the tools nor the knowledge so it was best not to mess around with it too much. Now looking at the pictures I realize I completely missed that obvious knot that might have been all it took to release the bottom panel... Oh well.

I did look for cracks. Couldn't see any but I don't have a trained eye and additionally the pitting and scratches might throw me off. It was not at all perfectly smooth but I'm hoping it was that way from the casting.
There was a noticable amount of dust too. It was the thick kind that wont rub off easily and sticks to your fingers like pulverized pencil lead or something. I didn't touch anything mechanical so I don't know how much it masked things inside, but there was a thick layer on the edge the lid rests on.

Rickster:

Thanks! Yes, one hammer actually got stuck on backswing though I have no idea if that is common so the action might need some adjustments. I have a technician coming over next week, he didn't say which day though. He was busy working for a university or some such, but was kind enough to offer heading over after work.

Last edited by Severian; 08/05/17 02:28 PM. Reason: I managed to completely miss a post
F
F
Frame number 194542 is late 1918 - who knows, maybe around the time of the Armistice on November 11th and inside it seems to be unbelievably clean (honestly).

If you didn't see any cracks, then there aren't any to worry about. Castings of that date are pretty rough and it was easier to slap a load of paint over them than try to make them smooth with hand tools.

Last edited by Fareham; 08/05/17 02:23 PM.

The English may not like music much, but they love the sound it makes ... Beecham
S
OP Offline
S
I hope so! I can miss the most obvious things... The tech will catch it if I did though. I'm happy it seems to look good so far! No point in worrying in advance.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
You have done very well. Stop worrying and just enjoy it!

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
S
OP Offline
S
I'm actually not worried at all. I just want to increase the odds of catching anything that needs to be looked at. If anything, I am worried about annoying the technician with "these guys on the forum said that" xD I'll have to try to let him do his job in peace. Then again he talked as if he didn't expect me to show up when he was going to look at the piano. He didn't give me a time and date yet, just "next week after work". But yes, this piano might be better than anything new I could hope to afford. It appears I have been thoroughly blessed.

I do have a couple of questions. One because I am slightly curious: The hammers with orange underfelt. I tried to google it, only hammers I found was a picture of some old original Steinway hammers that were being replaced. Could they be original? They look way too new right? It is not important, but since Eric couldn't place them I got curious.

This one is more important: How risky is it to dismantle a piano for moving? You see, the piano is about 1.4 CM (72cm total) too deep to fit through the doorframe of my bedroom. I think I have the perfect spot there. If not it has to be in the living room, and the only spot that is not in front of a window or next to a heat source will mean anybody using it blocks most of the entrance (totally worth if that is the only way though). I might be able to dismantle the doorframe if I find somebody handy, but the frame looks solid, painted over and all, so that might be a mess. You think somebody will be able to take it apart and reassemble it on site?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Severian, I'm no pro, but those hammers are no where near original. They are way too new looking. Yes, they've been played a good bit, but that is what a piano is for... smile As far as the color of the underfelt on the hammers, I think it can vary a lot, depending on the brand of hammers and where they were purchased.

It would not be difficult for you to remove the door-frame molding if you want to put the piano in your bedroom. I've had to remove the door-frame molding in my home a couple of times for various reasons. If you use a nail-set punch, and are very careful, you can remove the door frame molding without damaging it, and the reverse the process and reinstall; reset the finish nails, and use a little stained wood filler.

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
S
OP Offline
S
Hum. I guess I have to face the music. Removing the frame is a far better idea than dismantling the piano. With lot of new door frames you can clearly see where they intersect, but this old door frame is massive, and, maybe due to the way it is painted over, gives the impression of having no separate parts. I have no idea where to begin. I guess I have to enlist the aid of somebody who knows what they are doing.

F
F
Severian,

Most of the pictures look just fine. The odd dobble in 683 that Eric noticed is not a crack but a bit of sand that got in the wrong place (by a millimeter or so) when the frame was cast. It's always been there and if it hasn't caused any problems for the first 100 years of life, it's not going to. I think posting something like this on the PW forum is brave, since it is an invitation for loads of people to suck their teeth and forecast the most dire consequences if you buy it.

Remember the vast majority of people buy a piano, take it home and love it to death, with no worries; some are even lucky enough to find a hidden jewel. It's got a lovely big sound board, made by a top class manufacturer and sounds good - what more could you want ?

Last edited by Fareham; 08/08/17 03:20 AM.

The English may not like music much, but they love the sound it makes ... Beecham
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
In amplification of Fareham's sentiments, you have got an excellent piano at a bargain price. Enjoy it!

S
OP Offline
S
Sorry for the late reply. You are entirely correct, it seems I have been blessed beyond what I would be able to afford. Possibly far beyond. Still waiting for the final word, I think the technician forgot about looking at it. I'll poke him tomorrow. But if I ever felt a shred of worry this thread has completely banished any such. Even if something expensive needs to be replaced, it will still be worth it. I'll report back when I finally get it looked at!

S
OP Offline
S
The technician said nothing needs to be done. \o/

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/345295036809740290/347724357843288064/image.jpg
I finally got it home but it has to wait 3 weeks before tuning T^T

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
You have got an incredible deal, then. Enjoy it.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission