2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
65 members (chopinetto, anotherscott, AaronSF, accordeur, CharlesXX, Chemblue, bwv872, astrotoy, 14 invisible), 482 guests, and 438 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Roland FA-08 vs Korg Krome
#2664258 07/27/17 02:47 AM
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 11
A
Junior Member
OP Offline
Junior Member
A
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 11
Hi!

Does anyone use any of those two instruments? I live in a city where there are no places to test them, which one would you choose?

I'm looking for a good variety of sounds-including synth sounds- and a good pedal switch (that can switch programs smoothly) so I can do most of the work with my feet if possible.

(ad)
Sweetwater Sale
Sweetwater Sale
Re: Roland FA-08 vs Korg Krome
agathiava #2665268 07/31/17 03:45 PM
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,635
A
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,635
FA-08 is generally considered to have better action than Krome 88. I'd also give it the edge on synth sounds as it has its separate "SuperNatural Synth" VA synth engine. And if by "switching sounds smoothly" you mean being able to change to a new sound without the old sound immediately cutting out, the Roland is better for that as well, esp. with the new 2.0 system sftware. I have no knowledge of how they compare in terms of what you can do with the foot switches, but you can download the manuals from the web sites and look at what the available pedal options are.

Re: Roland FA-08 vs Korg Krome
anotherscott #2665379 08/01/17 05:13 AM
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 588
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 588
Originally Posted by anotherscott
FA-08 is generally considered to have better action than Krome 88. I'd also give it the edge on synth sounds as it has its separate "SuperNatural Synth" VA synth engine. And if by "switching sounds smoothly" you mean being able to change to a new sound without the old sound immediately cutting out, the Roland is better for that as well, esp. with the new 2.0 system sftware. I have no knowledge of how they compare in terms of what you can do with the foot switches, but you can download the manuals from the web sites and look at what the available pedal options are.


That says more about the keybed of the Korg then about the FA08 thats average at best.

The FA series however, with the latest update indeed took another step. And in my opinion where allready better then the Krome in any aspect. The FA series has a lot of very usable keyboard and piano sounds and even a super natural drawbar organ..

For the same money however as these 2 i recently bought a used Korg Kronos. Which would be an infinite better solution.

Re: Roland FA-08 vs Korg Krome
Bachus #2665412 08/01/17 10:06 AM
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,635
A
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,635
Originally Posted by Bachus
[That says more about the keybed of the Korg then about the FA08 thats average at best.

True.

Originally Posted by Bachus
[The FA series however, with the latest update indeed took another step. And in my opinion where allready better then the Krome in any aspect.

The Krome had been far superior to the FA as a MIDI controller, but Roland's recent 2.0 upgrade has addressed that.

Originally Posted by Bachus
[For the same money however as these 2 i recently bought a used Korg Kronos. Which would be an infinite better solution.

Yes, though also at much higher travel weight.

Re: Roland FA-08 vs Korg Krome
agathiava #2665630 08/02/17 11:04 AM
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,626
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,626
no argument here. "the Krome action sucketh" - Shakespeare.
On both weighted and synth action models... Sadly. Sounds are decent.
I'd take the FA-08 or 7 in a heart beat.
The FA-06 action also sucks.

there.
I said it.

I feel better know. I've held back for so long. wink

Re: Roland FA-08 vs Korg Krome
agathiava #2668342 08/15/17 05:59 PM
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 225
B
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
B
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 225
Rants about the Korg's keybed(s) are grossly overblown IMO and the 2 are very close. Not a viable reason to get the Roland. The tones are also comparable, on the whole...some better in one, some in the other...and they both have their share of unique sounds if you want the more electronica thing.

However, I think the Roland's interface/workflow is considerably better than the unfriendly Krome, and for me at least that is huge as I've neither the time nor patience to deal with one that isn't at least reasonably intuitive and easy to figure out/use.

Re: Roland FA-08 vs Korg Krome
agathiava #2668346 08/15/17 06:11 PM
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,069
B
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,069
My advice is to avoid buying a keyboard you can not try/test, unless there are no other possible choices available in your budget.

Re: Roland FA-08 vs Korg Krome
bill5 #2668367 08/15/17 08:14 PM
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,635
A
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,635
Originally Posted by bill5
Rants about the Korg's keybed(s) are grossly overblown IMO and the 2 are very close. Not a viable reason to get the Roland. The tones are also comparable, on the whole...some better in one, some in the other...and they both have their share of unique sounds if you want the more electronica thing.

However, I think the Roland's interface/workflow is considerably better than the unfriendly Krome, and for me at least that is huge as I've neither the time nor patience to deal with one that isn't at least reasonably intuitive and easy to figure out/use.

I agree, some sounds are better in the Korg, some in the Roland. One particular differentiator there is that the Roland has built-in clonewheel and VA synth functions that the Krome lacks. It also has the trigger pads (with the ability to load custom samples), a separate assignable output, and as you say, a simpler interface. Krome has some feature advantages too, like the touchscreen and the ability to put multiple insert effects on a single sound. It also has lower travel weight and costs $150 less. Though I do agree with those who say the Roland has the better action (though still not among my favorite).

Re: Roland FA-08 vs Korg Krome
agathiava #2668610 08/16/17 07:35 PM
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,635
A
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,635
p.s. -- Korg used to have a big advantage in MIDI capabilities, but the new 2.0 upgrade on the FA has largely addressed that.


Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP under 3000 euros
by Pullman12 - 11/24/20 03:21 PM
Recording device - Recommendations
by Kinimod - 11/24/20 02:52 PM
Your opinions on my digital mixer setup
by Abdol - 11/24/20 02:37 PM
Thumb under for bluesy tunes
by AntonAnton - 11/24/20 12:45 PM
To Hanon or not to Hanon
by ZanderChicago - 11/24/20 12:40 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,022
Posts3,026,755
Members99,360
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers


Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads



 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4