2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
88 members (accordeur, BeWood, Beemer, 36251, BachToTheFuture, 1957, Almar, Anjru, 17 invisible), 640 guests, and 556 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Anyone using Yamaha N1 for classical music?
#2648094 05/29/17 08:01 AM
L
Loga Offline OP
OP Offline
L
If yes, please describe your level, and how you like the instrument! Every opinion is very welcome!

Many thanks,
Loga

Re: Anyone using Yamaha N1 for classical music?
Loga #2648456 05/30/17 02:16 AM
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I have used the Yamaha AvantGrand N1 for classical music for several years. What I like with it is that the keyboard touch is very similar to acoustic Yamaha grand pianos (like the C3). It simulates the acoustic behavior of the grand piano in a very convincing way. For instance when lowering a key without "hitting the string with the hammer" and then striking another key, simulated resonance causes the "loose string" to start vibrating. The pedals also behave very much like the "real thing". Therefore the playing experience with the N1 is very similar to an acoustic grand. I never experience any problems performing on an acoustic grand after having practiced the music on the N1.

Of course you never have to tune the N1. So far I never had any need of servicing the instrument, although I expect that I may have to do it one day since the mechanical parts are the same as those of an acoustic grand. I almost always use the instrument in the default mode. I also find the playback option as well as the volume adjustment very useful - features that you don't find on an acoustic instrument.

The sound of an acoustic grand is better than the N1. But the N1 sounds better than any instrument that is out of tune.

The price of the N1 is in the same range as a mid-sized good acoustic upright (Kawai k-300, Yamaha U1 etc.). For my use the N1 is a better option.

I'm an amateur, playing music from the baroque through 20th century music. I think this video gives a fair impression of my "level": https://youtu.be/7qk-aggDoZw

Ganddalf #2648482 05/30/17 06:22 AM
L
Loga Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Good performance for an amateur for a long and relatively complex piece, and quite nice trills! Thank you.

As for the N1, I also tried it for a 2-hour-long period, and when I tried a C3 next to it, it was similar experience, but not quite the same. I think it is mostly due to the lack of the damper mechanism. I am here to gather long-term experiences of classical pianists for the N1.

Thanks again!

Loga #2648611 05/30/17 03:07 PM
S
S
Hi Loga- I'm a classical pianist, who owns an N1 and very much enjoys using it. I also own a Yamaha C2X acoustic grand, but the N1 is for practicing when I do not want to disturb my neighbors. It has been ideal for passage work, long practice sessions, and when I need to play later in the evening. Its touch is awesome! I used to own an older version of the Yamaha Clavinova, and the difference between that DP and the AG was huge, in my opinion. Switching between my older Clavinova and the C2X was almost painful, since the C2X had spoiled me. However, going back and forth between my grand and the N1 on a daily basis is not painful, since the N1 is a delight to play.

I consider myself "advanced."

Loga #2648643 05/30/17 05:09 PM
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
I have a Yamaha Grantouch, and have played all the Avantgrands in the store. To be honest, the onboard sound on all of them is pretty bad, so I bought a copy of Pianoteq which sounds much better.

I am not sure if any digital pianos come with sensors on the keys to emulate the dampers being at different positions, but I don't think I have seen one with that feature. How you release the key on a real piano affects how quickly the dampers cut the sound, and the damper noise, but on a digital you don't get that.

Last edited by trigalg693; 05/30/17 05:12 PM.
StartwithBach #2649087 06/01/17 06:06 AM
L
Loga Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hi StartwithBach! Thank you for your summary! Very useful input for me.

StartwithBach #2649455 06/02/17 03:23 AM
L
Loga Offline OP
OP Offline
L
StartWithBach: Did not you find the lack of a real damper mechanism disturbing? Your C2X must have a lighter action when playing with sustain pedal, but the N1 can't simulate this.

Loga #2649628 06/02/17 02:38 PM
S
S
Hi again- I'm not an expert on how the N1 works, so I'm not sure how to answer your question about the damper mechanism. All I can say is that I find the instrument a pleasure to play, recognizing that it can never fully capture the exactness of an acoustic. It really comes close to the real thing (at least to me!), and the damper has not stuck out to me as a negative. You might visit the digital pianos forum, though, for questions about it. There are a lot of people in that forum with far more knowledge than me!

Loga #2649658 06/02/17 03:28 PM
R
R
Hi,

Advanced player here. I've been playing classical music nearly my entire life (though now starting to deviate towards other stuff), and finally purchased an N1 after looking for something to replicate a grand piano action as close as possible. For the most part, the N1 succeeds. In comparison to the other digital offers out here, it is head and shoulders above everything else. However, I've found that the keys don't rebound quite as quickly as some of the grands that I've played. As a result, I find it difficult to play very fast repeated notes, or rapid repeated notes that require a delicate touch (e.g. the beginning right hand figuration of Ravel's Ondine). Otherwise, the N1 is very suitable for other advanced techniques that you might encounter in the repertoire. For the most part, I can do anything with the N1 that I could do with a grand piano.

Here's a video of it in action. I've replaced the Avantgrand N1's native sound with a piano VST, the Garritan CFX. I also have some other YouTube videos with the same setup if you want to see what else it can handle.

https://youtu.be/fHncfQhmWi8

Youtube piano recordings (classical music/video games/anime): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh9N3Xirs86USDQXE1WiwXg
Kawai Novus NV-10 / Yamaha Avantgrand N1 with Garritan CFX VST
rach3master #2649969 06/03/17 12:01 PM
G
G
Originally Posted by genuse
Hi,

Here's a video of it in action. I've replaced the Avantgrand N1's native sound with a piano VST, the Garritan CFX. I also have some other YouTube videos with the same setup if you want to see what else it can handle.

https://youtu.be/fHncfQhmWi8

Lovely playing! I have Pianoteq but I have trouble with the latency on my Surface Pro 4, so I only use it for recordings and never playback. I have considered buying an N1 for years now, but thing is that I have a CLP456GP which I like - and it looks so much better. The piano has to stand in the middle of my living room and I am not fond of the look of the N1. But the feel is wonderful - just like the acoustic Yamaha grands I have played. I normally always play with headphones so I don't care too much about the loudspeakers.

rach3master #2650871 06/05/17 04:06 PM
L
Loga Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hi Genuse,

this is a wonderful recording, and you are quite advanced. I really like the sound of this Garritan CFX. As I understand, it is not modelled, it is sampled, right? What kind of computer do you have (processor type, memory size) that can handle this without disturbing lag? And anyway, is it lag-free?

Thanks in advance!

Loga #2651196 06/06/17 01:27 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Loga
StartWithBach: Did not you find the lack of a real damper mechanism disturbing? Your C2X must have a lighter action when playing with sustain pedal, but the N1 can't simulate this.

FYI, at the Musikmesse in Frankfurt a few weeks ago, Kawai previewed the Novus NV10, which is planned to be released later this year. It is comparable to the AvantGrand series in so far as it will feature a real grand action (Kawai's Millennium III action) but, in contrast to the AvantGrands, it will also have simulated damper weights, so that the action is lighter while the sustain pedal is depressed.

http://www.kawai-onkyo.com/NOVUS_preview/

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: "Prélude (Opus 28, No. 4)" by Frédéric Chopin
Loga #2651199 06/06/17 01:32 PM
R
R
Thanks!

Yes, it is a sampled piano. I have a custom built PC with a i5, 24 GB RAM, SSD, and RME Babyface Pro external sound card. All of that is definitely overkill, but I wanted to have piece of mind from endless upgrading (and my setup also doubles as a gaming computer as well). And yes, it's lag free.

Youtube piano recordings (classical music/video games/anime): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh9N3Xirs86USDQXE1WiwXg
JoBert #2665834 08/03/17 06:24 AM
B
B
Originally Posted by JoBert
Originally Posted by Loga

FYI, at the Musikmesse in Frankfurt a few weeks ago, Kawai previewed the Novus NV10, which is planned to be released later this year. It is comparable to the AvantGrand series in so far as it will feature a real grand action (Kawai's Millennium III action) but, in contrast to the AvantGrands, it will also have simulated damper weights, so that the action is lighter while the sustain pedal is depressed.

http://www.kawai-onkyo.com/NOVUS_preview/

And unfortunately will be far more expensive than the N1 ;-)

Loga #2666032 08/03/17 10:19 PM
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
This is a bit late, but I haven't had any problems learning anything on my N1. Some of the more demanding pieces I've worked on using the N1 include:

Ravel - Toccata and Ondine
Rachmaninoff - Sonata 1 and Concerto 2
Chopin - Sonata 3
Liszt - Dante Sonata and B minor Sonata

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

Loga #2667241 08/09/17 04:25 PM
R
R
Funny that you mentioned the Ravel Ondine. I learned it a while ago, but I find the N1 action a bit too sluggish to pull off the repeated chord figurations in the right hand with ease.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mason & Hamlin Rebuild Requirements
by brdwyguy - 01/18/21 09:49 AM
Do you normally ask dealer to tune piano?
by tony3304 - 01/18/21 07:25 AM
iPad pro (2020) MIDI Output not consistent
by Almar - 01/18/21 05:33 AM
used Kawai RX-1 or new Kawai GL-30?
by Guido, Roma - Italy - 01/18/21 05:23 AM
Roland F701 vs FP-90X (?)
by Mulberg - 01/18/21 02:17 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,353
Posts3,048,341
Members100,102
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission