Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
60 registered members (Angelos58, David B, cfrederi, Beemer, Agent88, Beowulf, AZNpiano, 12 invisible), 1,291 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
Re: Yamaha CLP-600 series release date? [Re: Falsch] #2663105
07/21/17 05:07 PM
07/21/17 05:07 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

Originally Posted by Falsch
On the CLP-585, which I dislike with a passion both in sound and keyboard... and features as well..., I can't produce anything close to music as the only thing I can do is either soft, or loud. I dislike that piano, and I think it actively hates me as well.

I've felt that way on some old acoustic uprights I've happened to sit it. It really is mostly a matter of what you're used to. I remember when I first moved from my CP50 to my MP11, I felt I could control sensitivity and dynamics a lot better on the Yamaha. But now, after being used to the MP11, sitting down at a CP50 or CP4 really makes me notice that front-loaded Yamaha weighting.

The funny thing is I find it's pretty easy to stay acclimated with completely different-feeling actions so long as you play them regularly. Over a given week I might sit down at an acoustic upright and grand, and several different digitals, and as long as I keep that up, it doesn't really matter which one I'm at, adjusting is almost instant. However, if I don't touch one for a month or more, it suddenly starts to feel unnatural again. The only exceptions I've noticed to this are moving between the grand and the MP11 (they feel very close), and moving between the upright and the Yamaha NU1 (they feel nearly identical)--I could play one of these pairs exclusively for a month and still be able to sit down at the other and not be flummoxed by the difference in the action.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50 || Kawai NV-10, MP11
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Yamaha CLP-600 series release date? [Re: m1ch4L] #2663115
07/21/17 05:47 PM
07/21/17 05:47 PM
F
Falsch Offline
Falsch  Offline
F

Indeed.

The guy at my local piano store is a young chap who plays quite well (self taught, as he normally plays the accordion), and he once told me: I don't like acoustic piano's. While they sound as good or better than the high end digitals, they all have crap keyboards. They don't feel as they should.

He's somewhere close to 30, and he's never played an acoustic piano in his life, apart from the ones in the store where he works, but most of the time, it's the store owner who sells the piano's (as that guy mainly sells the accordions... evidently, as that is where his grades an knowledge are.)

Still, it goes to show that there isn't one true right. For him, the 'digital actions' are the best ones.

For me? I've played organs all my life, from cheesy 80's home organs to orchestral organs such as the Roland Ateliers, and Hammond organs and Hammond clones.... I've also played many arranger keyboards in the 90's, and owned a few myself... so I've used a lot of organ and synth-like actions. Never did any half-decent action prevent me from playing what I want.

Therefore I'm of the opinion that I can play anything on any piano action, if the action is not all bad. I don't care if the keys are totally plastic such as the MP7, are full wood such as GF2, or are a hybrid plastic-with-wooden-sides such as the PHA-50. I also don't care if the action is folded or long (PHA-50 vs GF2). The only thing I care about is if I can play what I want.

Sometimes, when I fail to do something on the LX-17 and I'm thinking "should I have gotten the CS8 for the GF2 wooden action?", I remeber that La Campanella video posted a few posts earlier, and then think: "Nah. It's probably me."

While I like the LX-17 a lot, I still have to confess that, if the CS11 had been in two parts, I would probably have gone with that piano, because I like that one a lot as well, and it's €1200 cheaper than the LX-17. (Since I bought it, the LX-17 had a €250 and a €200 price bump. Back then, the LX-17 was €750 more than the CS11, which I think it was worth it, but now at €1200 more, it's getting into overpriced territory.)

As for the CLP-685... I've not yet played it. If it's only a very small improvement over the CLP-585, or only changed in some ways which may or may not be an improvement, there is a big chance I still don't like it.

Personally, my opinion is that if you have a CS11 or an LX-17 and you have it set up to your liking, the only worthwhile upgrade is to a grand piano. The next generation of digital piano's will not be enough of an improvement. I think will take at least three generations (around 10 years) to improve the piano's at these price points. Manufacturers could do it now, but they won't. They will go in tiny steps.

I'll be considering an upgrade when the warranty of my LX-17 runs out in 2026. If I can afford it (also, with regard to the location where I live), I'll possibly upgrade to a silent grand, or do nothing if the improvements are not enough.

Last edited by Falsch; 07/21/17 05:47 PM.

Roland LX-17 PE == At GF's condo: Kawai MP7 == Currently in storage: Focal Alpha 80, Pianoteq with Kremsegg I, II and Ruckers II addons.
Re: Yamaha CLP-600 series release date? [Re: m1ch4L] #2663618
07/24/17 09:37 AM
07/24/17 09:37 AM
J
josefhofmann Offline
josefhofmann  Offline
J

Whilst I don't wish to be unkind, I would like to question the above statement regarding digital pianos having superior keyboards to acoustic pianos.

In reality, no digital piano has the transient response characteristics of the piano (upright or grand) excellently modeled or sampled. A pianist's 'sound' is largely due to instrument and room acoustics, as well as the way they weight all the notes, pedal, and control lines and other musical structures. However, their is a component of touch, or more precisely, the way the key is excited. The audio spectrum is increasingly percussive as the acceleration of the key is greater. It is essential to master this to become a very good pianist. Without access to an instrument that can create these sounds, it's not possible to fully access how well one keyboard plays versus another.

I do think that digitals have many useful features however, and I am in the market myself as the better digitals play trills better than my upright and have a heavier feel in preparation for performance on a grand.

Re: Yamaha CLP-600 series release date? [Re: m1ch4L] #2663851
07/25/17 11:40 AM
07/25/17 11:40 AM
F
flightcontrol Offline
flightcontrol  Offline
F

very interesting to follow- this article.

I assumed that a digital piano in the higher price segment simulates the feel and sound of an acoustic piano as good as possible. I initially planned to go for a clp 585 but waited when hearing about the new models.

I am searching for a digital piano, that is in the price range of a clp 685 and has the most natural feel and sound (with a bösendorfer piano being the absolute ideal). I do not need to make funny sounds with it or record samples.

- which digital piano is as close as possible to the like of boesendorfer in sound and feel?

I also was surprised to see that the clp 685 is very heavy in terms of the touch-weight. While a Bösendorfer has 48g to 55g, the clp 585 already had 60g to 80g. The clp 685 is even more heavy, which is also shown in the video comparison from Tony https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEKFGkR6KAk

So how "realistic" is the feel of the clp 685 compared to other digital pianos in this range with having a Bösendorfer as ideal?
and more important, is it suitable for children learning to play piano (considering the additional force needed to play the piano?

I do appreciate your thoughts / feedback on this a lot!

PS: yes, I know that you cannot expect to get a digital clone of a Bösendorfer for the price of a clp 685. However, for the price of the clp 685, you should get a very good digital piano that imitates it well.

(ad) SWEETWATER
Sweetwater - Lowest Prices on Gear
Re: Yamaha CLP-600 series release date? [Re: flightcontrol] #2663854
07/25/17 11:51 AM
07/25/17 11:51 AM
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Doug M. Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Doug M.  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Cheshire, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by flightcontrol
very interesting to follow- this article.

I assumed that a digital piano in the higher price segment simulates the feel and sound of an acoustic piano as good as possible. I initially planned to go for a clp 585 but waited when hearing about the new models.

I am searching for a digital piano, that is in the price range of a clp 685 and has the most natural feel and sound (with a bösendorfer piano being the absolute ideal). I do not need to make funny sounds with it or record samples.

- which digital piano is as close as possible to the like of boesendorfer in sound and feel?

I also was surprised to see that the clp 685 is very heavy in terms of the touch-weight. While a Bösendorfer has 48g to 55g, the clp 585 already had 60g to 80g. The clp 685 is even more heavy, which is also shown in the video comparison from Tony https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEKFGkR6KAk

So how "realistic" is the feel of the clp 685 compared to other digital pianos in this range with having a Bösendorfer as ideal?
and more important, is it suitable for children learning to play piano (considering the additional force needed to play the piano?

I do appreciate your thoughts / feedback on this a lot!

PS: yes, I know that you cannot expect to get a digital clone of a Bösendorfer for the price of a clp 685. However, for the price of the clp 685, you should get a very good digital piano that imitates it well.

The common view here is that no digital piano internal sound beats some of the top VST sampled pianos that run into multi-gigabytes in size. In which case, you could buy a piano with a better action like a Kawai CS11, and hook it up to a computer to get a better Bösendorfer. Yamaha actions at that price point are ok (not up to the Grand Feel II action though), but their best action lives in the N3X Avant Grand which is pricey.

Maybe in Pianoteq 6, they will release a Bösendorfer and Fazioli modelled piano sound. Rumour has it that the next version is coming soon, as the standard version has just gotten a 30% discount.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7; Past - Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Re: Yamaha CLP-600 series release date? [Re: josefhofmann] #2663909
07/25/17 06:43 PM
07/25/17 06:43 PM
F
Falsch Offline
Falsch  Offline
F

Originally Posted by josefhofmann
Whilst I don't wish to be unkind, I would like to question the above statement regarding digital pianos having superior keyboards to acoustic pianos.

Well, it's the point of view of the player. That young guy at the music store never had any official training on piano. He's self taught, and has been playing on mid-end digitals his entire life, so that is what he knows, and what he views as a 'real piano'. While the acoustics may be better, he still might not like it.

An $50 whisky is probably better than an $10 wine, but if someone doesn't like whisky, he'll probably label the wine as being the better drink.

Roland LX-17 PE == At GF's condo: Kawai MP7 == Currently in storage: Focal Alpha 80, Pianoteq with Kremsegg I, II and Ruckers II addons.
Re: Yamaha CLP-600 series release date? [Re: m1ch4L] #2663924
07/25/17 07:58 PM
07/25/17 07:58 PM
UK
B
Bambers Offline
Bambers  Offline
B

UK
Digital pianos arguably do have better keyboards than acoustics. Acoustics are limited by the physics of making the note sound. Things like the escapement notch are an imperfection as is the grading from top to bottom.

Digital actions have less to go wrong and need less work over time, can be more responsive and faster.

Much of the work in the 'better' digital actions is trying to recreate the imperfections of an acoustic grand

This is usually preferred as it makes transitioning to an acoustic easier. I'm not sure it's objectively 'better' though.

Re: Yamaha CLP-600 series release date? [Re: m1ch4L] #2663927
07/25/17 08:13 PM
07/25/17 08:13 PM
North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
6000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

North Carolina
Digital actions need less work over time? Not mine. Mine needed four repairs in eight years.

Re: Yamaha CLP-600 series release date? [Re: Bambers] #2663984
07/26/17 03:39 AM
07/26/17 03:39 AM
Melbourne, Australia
A
ando Offline
5000 Post Club Member
ando  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
A

Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted by Bambers
Digital pianos arguably do have better keyboards than acoustics. Acoustics are limited by the physics of making the note sound. Things like the escapement notch are an imperfection as is the grading from top to bottom.

Digital actions have less to go wrong and need less work over time, can be more responsive and faster.

Much of the work in the 'better' digital actions is trying to recreate the imperfections of an acoustic grand

This is usually preferred as it makes transitioning to an acoustic easier. I'm not sure it's objectively 'better' though.

Sorry, but that just reads like somebody who has very little experience with acoustic pianos. None of the current digital actions are as good as a decent acoustic action. They don't offer better control in any dimension.

Re: Yamaha CLP-600 series release date? [Re: m1ch4L] #2663991
07/26/17 05:14 AM
07/26/17 05:14 AM
North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
6000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

North Carolina
Quite true, ando. The digital piano is a compromise in every respect. Every.

If you want low cost, or if you want to listen with headphones, or if you cannot for some reason maintain an acoustic piano, or if you have space restrictions, then a digital meets the need where an acoustic cannot.

But if you don't have those needs and restrictions, the acoustic wins easily. The action is just one of the many advantages of a acoustic piano.

Re: Yamaha CLP-600 series release date? [Re: Falsch] #2663996
07/26/17 06:17 AM
07/26/17 06:17 AM
Lyon, France
G
Grigou Offline
Grigou  Offline
G

Lyon, France
Originally Posted by Falsch
[quote=josefhofmann]...
An $50 whisky is probably better than an $10 wine, but if someone doesn't like whisky, he'll probably label the wine as being the better drink.

Inappropriate comparison IMHO !

It's like if you had said "even if an $50 lobster is probably better than an $10 cup of strawberries ...".
You can't compare lobsters with strawberries, and you can't compare whisky and wine !

But of course, you can compare acoustic and digital pianos smile

Re: Yamaha CLP-600 series release date? [Re: m1ch4L] #2664003
07/26/17 06:49 AM
07/26/17 06:49 AM
North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
6000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

North Carolina
Yes, you can compare whiskey and wine! And beer, too. But that's not at all relevant here.

Also, I wish people would stop using "arguably" when expressing an opinion, as in ...
-- "Digital pianos arguably do have better keyboards than acoustics."

Anything is arguable ...
-- "The moon is arguably made of cheese."

If there's something to be said, say it. There's no "arguably" about it.

-- "Digital pianos do have better keyboards than acoustics."
-- "The moon is made of cheese."

The statements are no more or less true without the "arguably".

(Just my three cents.)

Re: Yamaha CLP-600 series release date? [Re: Bambers] #2664006
07/26/17 07:25 AM
07/26/17 07:25 AM
Southwestern Ontario
P
prout Offline
4000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P

Southwestern Ontario
Originally Posted by Bambers

I'm with MacMacMac here.

How can one possibly make a statement such as 'Digital pianos arguably do have..." without providing the evidence on which to base and defend your argument?

Re: Yamaha CLP-600 series release date? [Re: m1ch4L] #2664016
07/26/17 07:58 AM
07/26/17 07:58 AM
Southwestern Ontario
P
prout Offline
4000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P

Southwestern Ontario
With regard to keyboards - I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that, for the purposes of this particular thread, 'keyboard' refers to the physical structure with which the hands interact.

I have played pipe organs, electronic organs, harpsichords, clavichords, DPs and APs for the past 60 years or so as a professional musician.

It has never occurred to me to judge a pipe organ keyboard as superior or inferior to a harpsichord keyboard or an acoustic piano keyboard. They each serve a unique purpose and are each played using a slightly different technique. They do not attempt to imitate each other.

In my opinion, it is the same with a DP keyboard and an AP keyboard. Each is designed to serve a unique purpose. The DP keyboard must activate an electronic sound generation and the AP keyboard must activate a mechanical sound generation. If one has learned on and played only DP keyboards, then one has, it is to be hoped, been taught the techniques required to control the DP keyboard and make the best music possible. The same applies to AP keyboards.

If you want DPs to imitate APs, the best solution, IMO, is to buy an AP and make it look like a DP so your audience thinks you are playing a really good DP.

Last edited by prout; 07/26/17 07:59 AM.
Re: Yamaha CLP-600 series release date? [Re: m1ch4L] #2664022
07/26/17 08:14 AM
07/26/17 08:14 AM
Southwestern Ontario
P
prout Offline
4000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P

Southwestern Ontario
Originally Posted by flightcontrol
I also was surprised to see that the clp 685 is very heavy in terms of the touch-weight. While a Bösendorfer has 48g to 55g, the clp 585 already had 60g to 80g. The clp 685 is even more heavy, which is also shown in the video comparison from Tony...

I don't know how much research you have done yet, and I also don't know if high end DPs can imitate an AP with regard to touch-weight.

The touch-weight of an acoustic piano is measured with the damper pedal pressed, that is, the weight of the damper is removed from the key before measuring down-weight and up-weight. This is significant and has a major effect on piano technique. One must be aware that the effort required to accelerate a key to a certain velocity (e.g. mf) is much less when the damper is raised than when the damper is not raised. This fine control is part of the life-long practice regimen of a professional pianist.

If the DP touch-weight does not change when the dampers are raised, then the effort required to accelerate the key to a certain velocity does not change. This permanently affects your technique. This is not a problem, just a reality. It means that comparing touch-weight between a DP and an AP is like comparing apples and oranges.

Re: Yamaha CLP-600 series release date? [Re: prout] #2664051
07/26/17 10:05 AM
07/26/17 10:05 AM
North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
6000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

North Carolina
prout: This depends upon expectations. To me it's not apples and oranges.
Originally Posted by prout
If the DP touch-weight does not change when the dampers are raised, then the effort required to accelerate the key to a certain velocity does not change. This permanently affects your technique. This is not a problem, just a reality. It means that comparing touch-weight between a DP and an AP is like comparing apples and oranges.

I expect an apple to be very different from an orange. There's no reason to expect otherwise. Comparing them with any other expectation is silly.

But I expect a digital piano action to be the same as that of a grand piano. So to me it's a proper comparison. It's not apples and oranges. They do differ. Quite a bit. But the comparison is valid because I expect them to behave the same.

Re: Yamaha CLP-600 series release date? [Re: m1ch4L] #2664060
07/26/17 10:35 AM
07/26/17 10:35 AM
Southwestern Ontario
P
prout Offline
4000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P

Southwestern Ontario
MacMacMac. I understand your point of view. I guess we will have to disagree.

I flew both DC3s and Jets. They both are airplanes. They both do the same job creating transportation for someone or something. They both have wings and engines and all the accoutrements required to operate them. But they require different handling techniques. This difference got a lot of prop pilots transitioning to jets back in the 50s and 60s into deadly trouble.

Example, reciprocating engines respond to power changes from idle to 100% within about one second. Jet engines took as much as 8-10 seconds to do the same thing. In an emergency go-around when the aircraft was just 50 feet off the runway on an aborted landing, jets would crash because the pilots were used to immediate power response. Techniques and procedures had to be changed to accommodate the differences.

The new composite actions on acoustic pianos respond differently in comparison to wood actions. This difference has a subtle effect on one's playing. If a new piano student never plays on wood actions, they will not notice the difference and may benefit from the different control in a manner that actually gives them musical options not available to wood action pianos.

Transistor amplifiers can get extremely close, with very complex circuitry, to imitating vacuum tube amplifiers and their inherent distortion. Some would ask why would you want distorted sound from your tube amp when you can have pure, sterile sound from your transistor amp.

For me, the examples above are apples and oranges, both fruit at least both apples, but one does not imitate the other.

edit: I re-read your post and responded incorrectly. My statement in bold was meant to point out that every DP I have played, and as far as I know, except maybe hybrids (I don't even know what a 'hybrid' is), don't change the physical weight of the key when the damper pedal is pressed. Acoustics do. This is a major difference - as big a difference as between an AP and a pipe organ keyboard, either tracker or electric, which are also different from each other. Most tracker (mechanical) keyboards increase downweight massively as ranks (stops) and couplers are added. Electrical keyboards exhibit no change in down-weight.

Last edited by prout; 07/26/17 01:22 PM.
Re: Yamaha CLP-600 series release date? [Re: prout] #2664094
07/26/17 12:16 PM
07/26/17 12:16 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
We used to have DC9s flying between Douglas (IOM) and Blackpool airports.
They were an experience never to forget. Wonderful, speedy take off from Douglas. Engines (I think there was more than one) shut down over Blackpool Tower; the plane floated in mid air before up ending, plummeting vertically down; levelling up and landing perfectly. The sound accompaniment was awesome.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Yamaha CLP-600 series release date? [Re: peterws] #2664108
07/26/17 12:51 PM
07/26/17 12:51 PM
Southwestern Ontario
P
prout Offline
4000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P

Southwestern Ontario
Originally Posted by peterws
They were an experience never to forget. Wonderful, speedy take off from Douglas. Engines (I think there was more than one) shut down over Blackpool Tower; the plane floated in mid air before up ending, plummeting vertically down; levelling up and landing perfectly. The sound accompaniment was awesome.
That would be exciting, especially if you were a passenger on the airplane!
laugh

Re: Yamaha CLP-600 series release date? [Re: m1ch4L] #2664119
07/26/17 01:53 PM
07/26/17 01:53 PM
UK
B
Bambers Offline
Bambers  Offline
B

UK
How can one possibly make a statement such as 'Digital pianos arguably do have..." without providing the evidence on which to base and defend your argument?

eh? the 'arguably' is a spurious figure of speech, feel free to hate that but I did follow with points (arguments) such as the escapement being an imperfection and maintainability - and yes there are always exceptions to the latter but a simple action generally unaffected by climate changes is going to need less maintenance than a complex one that's, with the exception of a couple of manufacturers, made of wood.

At any rate, my point, which seemed to initially get rather spectacularly missed by some, was that a digital keyboard is only 'inferior' when considering it as an imitation of an acoustic piano keyboard. If it wasn't a necessity of the mechanics of making a piano work I doubt acoustic manufacturers would have had a touch-weight difference across the keyboard and they certainly wouldn't have the let-off interfering, however subtly, with the key-press.

Perhaps I'm hypothesising as most digital pianos are attempting to emulate acoustics and generally try to simulate them as much as they can, warts and all, to the extremes of the novus where they've taken the 'dump an acoustic action in a DP' method a step further with the damper pedal, only missing the soft pedal shift really. However, there are fewer physical restrictions that apply to a simple digital piano action than an acoustic one.

Re: Yamaha CLP-600 series release date? [Re: m1ch4L] #2664121
07/26/17 02:04 PM
07/26/17 02:04 PM
Southwestern Ontario
P
prout Offline
4000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P

Southwestern Ontario
Bambers. I agree with your statement that "...a digital keyboard is only 'inferior' when considering it as an imitation of an acoustic piano keyboard." You will see that if you read my posts above.

However, most people here on the forum spend vast amounts of time, energy, and money trying to make a DP sound and feel like an AP. With few exceptions, IMO, most DP manufactures are doing the same.

If we use your premise that a DP is not an imitation of an AP, but an instrument in its own right, then one must be very careful not to excpect that the technique of playing a DP is transferable to an AP. I can attest that playing multiple instruments (organ, harpsichord, piano) makes you an adequate and serviceable musician, but a master of none. I have not touched an organ in 5 years, concentrated only on piano, and I have learned how much damage to my piano technique was done by playing other instruments.

Last edited by prout; 07/26/17 02:04 PM.
Re: Yamaha CLP-600 series release date? [Re: m1ch4L] #2664509
07/28/17 06:44 AM
07/28/17 06:44 AM
Z
zob Offline
zob  Offline
Z

Strange. I just noted that the Yamaha CLP-685 PE was removed from Thomann's home page (probably the biggest retailer of musical instruments in Northern Europe - at least on the continent). Before you could find it going to this link:
https://www.thomann.de/intl/am/yamaha_clp_685_pe.htm
Also a search doesn't bring it up anymore (only the pearl white version).
Now this kind of post might be outdated if Thomann fixes it, and that will make me look ridiculous, but anyway. That's the way it is at the moment.
I wrote customer service who told me that they just sold the last one and they don't have anymore. I wrote back and reiterated that I was talking about CLP-685 PE - not CLP-585 PE (as I had already stated in my first mail - but just to make sure). I also asked customer service if they could give me an explanation as to why they would choose not to sell the 685 PE, if that is really the case. I doubt they would let me in on that if it were the case. But it's probably all an error, and in 30 minutes this post will just look stupid.

EDIT: btw, the last delivery date I saw on their home page before it disappeared was the 4. of August.

Last edited by zob; 07/28/17 06:46 AM.
Re: Yamaha CLP-600 series release date? [Re: zob] #2664541
07/28/17 10:00 AM
07/28/17 10:00 AM
L
leif Offline
leif  Offline
L

HI, this is strange
They say
Sorry! The item Yamaha CLP-685 PE is not part of our current product range anymore.

Yamaha CLP-685, Yamaha U1F
AKG K812
Jahn L9435 Piano Lamp "Pianoforte
Yamaha MD-BT01 Wireless Midi Adapter
Ipad pro, Mackbook pro, Pianoteq 6
Re: Yamaha CLP-600 series release date? [Re: leif] #2664576
07/28/17 01:02 PM
07/28/17 01:02 PM
Z
zob Offline
zob  Offline
Z

Exactly leifmalm. That's why I wrote them in the first place. Anyway. Costumer support now returned with a new answer (I must say they are fast, if not 100% precise). The message this time was. It is a misunderstanding, and it will be in stock the 1. of August. It's is still not on their site though, but at least they are now aware of the problem (if there's a communication link between customer support and web-team).

Re: Yamaha CLP-600 series release date? [Re: prout] #2664621
07/28/17 05:01 PM
07/28/17 05:01 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
Originally Posted by prout
Originally Posted by peterws
That would be exciting, especially if you were a passenger on the airplane!
laugh

I rather think the pilot was an extrovert . . .And, yes. I was on the bl**dy thing! Wings flapping like those of a Canada goose . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Yamaha CLP-600 series release date? [Re: m1ch4L] #2665592
08/02/17 07:52 AM
08/02/17 07:52 AM
France
E
emmaco Offline
emmaco  Offline
E

France

Motif XS 7 - Mac everywhere... since 1984... ;-)
Fender Strato - Logic Studio - NS-10 M Studio
acoustic upright piano

http://perso.numericable.fr/appleback/index.html
Re: Yamaha CLP-600 series release date? [Re: m1ch4L] #2665622
08/02/17 10:40 AM
08/02/17 10:40 AM
Hungary
A
alphonsus Offline
alphonsus  Offline
A

Hungary
On Monday I took delivery of my new piano, a CLP-645. It is really wonderful and I am extremely happy with it. After nearly six months of shopping/playtesting/deliberating I feel like I made the right decision.

Piano was delivered and assembled by my music store, along with a complimentary bench. The touch of the keys is fantastic, and the sound is incredible: full, bright, clear. All the piano sounds are really good but the CFX is incredible. It looks beautiful too.

Small niggle: I was surprised (and a bit annoyed) to find that the piano doesn't seem to support Bluetooth MIDI. The Bluetooth seems to be only for audio, which I find strange. Most other DPs with bluetooth support MIDI, and sometimes audio as an extra add-on. (That is the case with Kawai and Roland). Here however I can't seem to get MIDI transfer over BT. Audio works nicely, but I'd find MIDI much more useful - so I have to stick with a cable which is a shame...

[Linked Image]

Adult beginner, playing since October 2016
Yamaha CLP-645 Soundcloud
Re: Yamaha CLP-600 series release date? [Re: m1ch4L] #2665638
08/02/17 11:36 AM
08/02/17 11:36 AM
North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
6000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

North Carolina
You might want to share your purchase information in the Prices Paid thread.

Re: Yamaha CLP-600 series release date? [Re: alphonsus] #2665640
08/02/17 11:45 AM
08/02/17 11:45 AM
P
Patrik Raw Offline
Patrik Raw  Offline
P

Originally Posted by alphonsus
I was surprised (and a bit annoyed) to find that the piano doesn't seem to support Bluetooth MIDI. The Bluetooth seems to be only for audio, which I find strange. ]

Are you sure about that? I was testing the same model in a shop in Europe, and for me the Bluetooth Midi and the Bluetooth Audio was working at the same time! It had 2 Bluetooth devices, one with a name "Yamaha something", and one "MD-BT01", just like the external Bluetooth Midi. I thought, ther is one built in. And now I really hope, that it was not just connected...

Re: Yamaha CLP-600 series release date? [Re: Patrik Raw] #2665714
08/02/17 04:14 PM
08/02/17 04:14 PM
Z
zob Offline
zob  Offline
Z

The MD-BT01 is listed as an accessory for the CLP-series on Yamaha's site. So you probably need to buy them if you want midi over Bluetooth.
https://europe.yamaha.com/en/produc...va/clp-685/accessories.html#product-tabs

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Brodmann PE 121 vs. Kawai K300
by Timpskie. 11/15/18 12:20 AM
Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room
by AB Forum Recital. 11/14/18 10:44 PM
Recital 52 --- November 15, 2018
by AB Forum Recital. 11/14/18 09:06 PM
DIGITAL PIANO "SECONDS WAITED"
by ericco. 11/14/18 06:15 PM
Diminished scales and chords
by Tango. 11/14/18 03:02 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,337
Posts2,761,217
Members91,490
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission