2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2665120 07/31/17 12:16 AM
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I never saw this before. I knew about exhaling on super glue to speed up drying. But, i never saw anyone use baking soda to create a solid filler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slCMkvEfK_U

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I have used ivory dust and super glue to repair a chip on a keytop.

Semipro Tech
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by daniokeeper
I never saw this before. I knew about exhaling on super glue to speed up drying. But, i never saw anyone use baking soda to create a solid filler.

Hi, Joe
Are you want using this ( 2 component) for restoring of a pinblock?

I recently repaired a chipped Ivory key-top on my Yamaha C7, when I replaced the key-bushings. I sanded the key-chip flat with the front of the key and cut/filed a small piece of ivory from another old key-top I had from an older upright piano. I super-glued the small piece of ivory to the key-top, let dry (which didn't take long) and sanded and shaped the repair, and then polished. The piece of ivory I used for the repair is not exactly the same color as the original key-top, but it looks better than the chip, and has help up well after some hard playing.

I've seen videos of the ivory key-top chip repair with the resin kit they sell. I think the CA glue and baking soda idea is good, but from my experience, the CA glue dries very fast. You'd have to act quick to use that method. I'm thinking clear epoxy with the baking soda added might work well too, but I've never tried it.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Thanks Joe. Looks very helpful. I'm a big CA glue user and can't wait to use this combination.

"That Tuning Guy"
Scott Kerns
Lincoln, Nebraska
www.thattuningguy.com
D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
There are various youtube videos showing CA with baking soda for guitar nut repairs. And there has been discussion of using CA with acrylic nail powder, as a much cheaper version of AcryliKey ivory repair system.

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

I'd think it would be wise to compare the use of baking soda with other fine powders. It may be that the surfaces rather than the actual chemical involved is what triggers the cyanoacrylate to harden. Maybe try the dust from sanding drywall compound. Baking soda decomposes above 80 Centigrade, and releases CO2 and water. It's not particularly strong.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
M
M
Originally Posted by David Boyce
And there has been discussion of using CA with acrylic nail powder, as a much cheaper version of AcryliKey ivory repair system.

There is no need to mix CA glue with acrylic nail powder. Standard nail powder, along with the
liquid hardener, is all that is needed to repair ivory chips.

AcryliKey is really just nail powder, repackaged, and OVERPRICED.

So save yourself some money, and just get off the shelf nail powder and hardener.

You'll thank me for it......

grin

Piano Player
Part-time Professional Piano Tuner/Technician
Piano Voicer In-Training
D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
Yes, Musicdude, thank you!

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Maximillyan

Hi, Joe

Yes. I have used CA glue to repair loose pinblocks. But, I don't use the second component. That is, i don't use the accelerator. I use the thin CA glue only.

The reason i do not use the accelerator is because it is too difficult to direct. It might spray on the tuning pins, strings, coils, and other parts, and cause damage.

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius
D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
Yes, the consensus of opinion is that accelerator is not needed when using low viscosity CA for pinblock treatment. The CA works quite quickly on its own.

P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
Musicdude,

This Is the first I've heard about nail powder. Can you suggest what and where to purchase? Definitely interested in this since it sounds like there could be more applications for this than simply keytop repairs.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
M
M
Originally Posted by P W Grey
Musicdude,

This Is the first I've heard about nail powder. Can you suggest what and where to purchase? Definitely interested in this since it sounds like there could be more applications for this than simply keytop repairs.

Pwg

Just do a search on FleaBay for standard nail powder with the liquid hardener, or go to your
local beauty supply store (Sally's, etc...).

There will be different colors, but you will obviously want white. You won't have to add titanium
dioxide, because it will already be in the powder.

For color matching, get some yellow chalk, or yellow pastel from your local art supply store, and
rub it into some sandpaper to generate a powder to mix with the white. You won't need to add
much.....just a tiny bit will do. And often you won't need to add any at all, as the raw nail powder
will be just right.

You'll find the powder and hardener will act EXACTLY like the AcryliKey instructions.

A teflon block can be used to shape and form the bottom front edge of the lip that overhangs
the keys. This can significantly reduce the filing and shaping work required once the acrylic
has fully hardened.

Finish off with sandpaper attached to wood paddles with double-sided tape, then use #0000
steel wool, and finally a good polish with automotive scratch remover paste, and.....

It will take even YOU a few moments to find the repair!

grin

Piano Player
Piano Voicer In-Training
P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
Nice tip!

Question though: Is the hardener as smelly as the Acrilikey liquid? I find I have to use a respirator with that otherwise I will get a serious headache.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
M
M
Originally Posted by P W Grey
Nice tip!

Question though: Is the hardener as smelly as the Acrilikey liquid? I find I have to use a respirator with that otherwise I will get a serious headache.

Yes, the hardener smells pretty bad.

It's the exact same stuff.....

Piano Player
Piano Voicer In-Training
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
There are kits for repairing damaged plastic auto parts. They have a grey plastic powder that you use and then set it with thin CA.
BDB's tip works too but controlling the making of ivory dust fine enough to really work well is difficult. One needs very fine ivory dust like what an 800 grit or higher paper makes and trying to capture the dust cleanly is tricky. Maybe BDB will tell us his method of ivory powder preparation.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
B
BDB Offline
B
It was an emergency repair, and not done particularly well. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do!

Semipro Tech
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Nail salons have all the different powders in every shade of white and you can buy the acrylic by the liter.

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Maximillyan

Hi, Joe

Yes. I have used CA glue to repair loose pinblocks. But, I don't use the second component. That is, i don't use the accelerator. I use the thin CA glue only.

The reason i do not use the accelerator is because it is too difficult to direct. It might spray on the tuning pins, strings, coils, and other parts, and cause damage.

thanks for your message Joe
Trying to analyze a clip "repairing the guitar's bridge", I came to the conviction that the composition obtained as a result of the mixing is simple physical basis "dry plastics." We never try to "cram" it's into the pinblock's hole, I suppose. The Maximum that Max can afford is an innocuous, but multicomponent corrugated cardboard tire into cram
regards,

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Max,

If you are successful with your cardboard shim, then I believe that it's OK to use it.

But, CA glue is useful for many types of repairs. CA glue is a good option for repairs in the home when the glue needs to dry/cure quickly.

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission