Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
Who's Online Now
112 registered members (Amedeus, ajames, anamnesis, Almaviva, Agent88, 25 invisible), 1,849 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#2675027 - 09/13/17 02:26 PM Re: How to position the piano in the room? [Re: Ardeus]  
Ardeus Offline
Ardeus  Offline

The piano is getting more out of tune and I hate playing it more and more.

The technician is coming back the day after tomorrow and I was thinking that maybe it's a good idea to ask him to put it back where it was, i.e., in 440Hz instead of 441Hz. Is it a good idea?

I am willing to bet that the piano had never been tuned to anything other than 440Hz.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2675029 - 09/13/17 02:36 PM Re: How to position the piano in the room? [Re: Ardeus]  
twocats Offline
500 Post Club Member
twocats  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Portland, OR
I would do 440.

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bosendorfer 225 (meow!) 🐱
#2675031 - 09/13/17 02:44 PM Re: How to position the piano in the room? [Re: Ardeus]  
Ardeus Offline
Ardeus  Offline

Thanks twocats, I will do that then.

#2675064 - 09/13/17 04:59 PM Re: How to position the piano in the room? [Re: Ardeus]  
JohnSprung Online content
4000 Post Club Member
JohnSprung  Online Content
4000 Post Club Member

Reseda, California

Given its recent tuning history, I think -- and techs please correct me -- that going back to 440 would mean moving more pins than staying at 441, and therefore pins that are now holding at 441 would be less likely to stay where they belong.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2675118 - 09/13/17 09:31 PM Re: How to position the piano in the room? [Re: Ardeus]  
Ardeus Offline
Ardeus  Offline

The reason he pointed out to tune to 441Hz was that the overall tune was slightly below 440Hz.

You are probably right, if the piano is brought back down to 440Hz it will probably need to be tuned again in a few days.

When I play chords in the high register there's now a strange ressonance from the lower register.

He made an adjustment to the una corda pedal, maybe he made some change to the middle one.

I feel like reversing the roles and play the Goldberg variations next time he comes, and reenact the film...

#2675209 - 09/14/17 10:38 AM Re: How to position the piano in the room? [Re: Ardeus]  
JohnSprung Online content
4000 Post Club Member
JohnSprung  Online Content
4000 Post Club Member

Reseda, California
That sounds like a right pedal problem -- dampers not going all the way down. Sostenuto is unlikely to be the culprit. Try pumping the right pedal.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
#2675427 - 09/15/17 06:34 AM Re: How to position the piano in the room? [Re: Ardeus]  
Colin Miles Offline
Colin Miles  Offline

South Wales
Reading all of this with great interest. I had an old Rogers upright - ok, nowhere near the league of the pianos that you guys have, but I have played many pianos over the years so am accustomed to their differences. Now have a Roland LX7 digital. By far the best piano that I have ever had in terms of the control I have over it, and sounds are quite good provided that I use the headphones. Through the speakers it shows up the acoustics of the room it is in - pretty awful.

If I ever move and have the room, would I get a acoustic grand? Reading all of this I think not. I just want to play and improve. But maybe that is because I am too old to worry about tuning, etc.

Hope you get it sorted out.

#2675508 - 09/15/17 01:01 PM Re: How to position the piano in the room? [Re: Ardeus]  
hoola Offline
hoola  Offline

LA, USA
I like option C, because I don't feel comfortable to be stuck in the corner.

#2676133 - 09/18/17 04:56 PM Re: How to position the piano in the room? [Re: Ardeus]  
Ardeus Offline
Ardeus  Offline

C is how it is now and I don't see any reason to change it, I even have a good view because I don't have the piano blocking it. I didn't like being stuck in corner either.

Colin, an acoustic grand was the last dream I had that survived for over 40 years. I fulfilled some of the others, the rest either died some time after they tried to go past their expiration date or turned into nightmares when they became real.

I didn't want to let any thing bad happen the last of old dreams or let it die. I play many times a day and I am loving it at least as much as I dreamt. That's how much it's worth a grand piano to me. More than playing music, I listen to the piano in awe of how beatiful it sounds.

If I make the great trip now, I will feel my life was even more worth it because I had a magical grand acoustic piano in my living room for a few days.

On the subject, some time ago I wrote and recorded 6 songs for piano and voice based on 6 suicide stories. Best music I have ever done, maybe because the subject is so heavy. It's also the kind of stuff you should only do if you're feeling in a particularly good mood and even so, do it quickly.

https://youtu.be/h-xIgVkoiNo

The tuner came back and he spent about an hour tuning the piano again.

He also did an adjustment to the right pedal as you suggested John and it solved the problem.

I finally made him understand what I loved about the piano sound (that kind of celesta sound in the upper register).

On the first time he used an electronic device but he rarely looked at it and he was constantly using fifths, fourths, etc as guides. On the second time he just used his ear.

When he left the piano was in tune.

I think that the pounding I gave the piano so that I could get the old voicing back was at least in part responsible for the need to tune again. It's not back yet, but it's better.

A couple of days passed and I noticed that a couple of keys are slightly out of tune.

Instead of calling him, I ordered some tools and began trying to learn how to tune pianos (how to use the lever, beats, temperaments, inharmonicity, etc). It's a daring task, but I will begin by trying to correct the unisons and stop there for now.

It will be a very long time (if ever) before I dare to completely tune the piano.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

New Topics - Multiple Forums
cheaper pianos actually sound good
by Dave Horne. 11/21/17 09:38 AM
Piano benches - Stagg, Hercules , etc.
by Dave Ferris. 11/21/17 06:48 AM
Arthritis and Action Adjustments?
by harpsichorder. 11/21/17 05:59 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics182,869
Posts2,673,304
Members89,166
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission