Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
62 registered members (AlphaBravoCharlie, Alston9981, Animisha, 5150917069, Andrew_G, 5penguins, amad23, Ankee, AndrewJCW, 36251, 15 invisible), 1,491 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Korg g1 air #2662001
07/17/17 03:24 AM
07/17/17 03:24 AM
G
Get(info)Give Offline OP
Get(info)Give  Offline OP
G

I want to buy this piano, but I couldn't find reviews about it, and this is from march so does anyone got this piano, maybe a friend of his got this piano?

thank you.

(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Korg g1 air [Re: Get(info)Give] #2662014
07/17/17 06:53 AM
07/17/17 06:53 AM
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Doug M. Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Doug M.  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Cheshire, United Kingdom
The Korg g1 air might be a good piano. Not many folks here will have played one.
The best Korg piano action is the RH3 action (Real Weighted Hammer Action 3) Keyboard. The Korg RH3 action is ok, but it is many years old, and well behind the actions provided by all Korgs major competitors (Roland, Yamaha and Kawai) regarding being an accurate simulation of an acoustic action. Here, people value piano action the most because their goals are to improve their piano technique. Hence, many users have Kawai's (unless they're loaded and can afford the Avant Grand Yamaha).

The price of the Korg g1 air in GBP is £1649.

For that, the following pianos have better actions:
1) Roland FP-90 (£1529) with PHA-50 action
2) Kawai ES8 (£1340) with RHIII (Responsive Hammer III action)
3) Kawai CA-17 (£1604) with RM3 Grand II keyboard action
4) Roland HP603 (£1739) with PHA-50 action

The first two are portable pianos with wooden stands, triple pedal units included.
3 and 4 are cabinet pianos (look like acoustic upright pianos, hence are more expensive).

Of these 4 pianos, the best action is in the Kawai CA-17, with the others all being comparable (most users here prefer the Kawai action).
Of these 4 pianos, all have excellent sounds. I prefer the Roland modelled piano sound as an experience to play; however, the Kawai Grand Piano tones are dark and really excellent piano samples (probably sound more like a grand piano from the listeners perspective). Regarding the other sounds: I much prefer the Kawai electric piano sounds and the Kawai drawbar organ sounds (compared to the Roland or the Yamahas).

The advantage of the Roland's is that they have modelled piano sounds NOT sampled piano sounds. Sampled piano is where a microphone is used to record each note of a grand piano, and then to add effects to it during playback (additive synthesis) in order to simulate a grand piano. This makes for a more artificial experience, but a closer match for piano tone.

The advantage of modelled pianos is that they are generated by mathematical algorithms, the benefit of which is a much more responsive involving piano playing experience. The downside of modelled pianos is that to maximise the benefit, you need to modify the tuning and parameters of every note on the piano in order to simulate the micro variations in a normally tuned acoustic piano. However, once this is done well, modelled pianos are awesome.

Now, there is the other side to this: if you own a PC, apple PC or laptop, you may connect any of these digital piano instruments via MIDI cable or USB to your computer. This allows you to use a software piano (a piece of software that generates piano sound aka Virtual Studio Technology or VST piano). If you buy a Kawai piano (for the best action), you can use your PC or laptop with a VST piano called Pianoteq. Pianoteq (see 2mins 44secs for demo) is a modelled piano VST, so you can play modelled piano on a Kawai, just as you can with the Roland pianos mentioned.

Pianoteq is different from Roland piano modelling, but competitive. Therefore, we can have our cake and eat it i.e., have the Kawai action with modelled sound.
There is a pianoworld user called 'bigbang' who has made some nice videos of the Kawai ES8 and the Roland FP-90. These videos are a good comparison showing you how the Kawai's and the Roland piano sounds differ from one another. Another good comparison video compares theKawai CA17 to its competitors.

Last edited by Doug M.; 07/17/17 07:02 AM.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7; Past - Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Re: Korg g1 air [Re: Doug M.] #2662186
07/17/17 05:36 PM
07/17/17 05:36 PM
G
Get(info)Give Offline OP
G

Originally Posted by Doug M.
The Korg g1 air might be a good piano. Not many folks here will have played one.
The best Korg piano action is the RH3 action (Real Weighted Hammer Action 3) Keyboard. The Korg RH3 action is ok, but it is many years old, and well behind the actions provided by all Korgs major competitors (Roland, Yamaha and Kawai) regarding being an accurate simulation of an acoustic action. Here, people value piano action the most because their goals are to improve their piano technique. Hence, many users have Kawai's (unless they're loaded and can afford the Avant Grand Yamaha).

The price of the Korg g1 air in GBP is £1649.

For that, the following pianos have better actions:
1) Roland FP-90 (£1529) with PHA-50 action
2) Kawai ES8 (£1340) with RHIII (Responsive Hammer III action)
3) Kawai CA-17 (£1604) with RM3 Grand II keyboard action
4) Roland HP603 (£1739) with PHA-50 action

The first two are portable pianos with wooden stands, triple pedal units included.
3 and 4 are cabinet pianos (look like acoustic upright pianos, hence are more expensive).

Of these 4 pianos, the best action is in the Kawai CA-17, with the others all being comparable (most users here prefer the Kawai action).
Of these 4 pianos, all have excellent sounds. I prefer the Roland modelled piano sound as an experience to play; however, the Kawai Grand Piano tones are dark and really excellent piano samples (probably sound more like a grand piano from the listeners perspective). Regarding the other sounds: I much prefer the Kawai electric piano sounds and the Kawai drawbar organ sounds (compared to the Roland or the Yamahas).

The advantage of the Roland's is that they have modelled piano sounds NOT sampled piano sounds. Sampled piano is where a microphone is used to record each note of a grand piano, and then to add effects to it during playback (additive synthesis) in order to simulate a grand piano. This makes for a more artificial experience, but a closer match for piano tone.

The advantage of modelled pianos is that they are generated by mathematical algorithms, the benefit of which is a much more responsive involving piano playing experience. The downside of modelled pianos is that to maximise the benefit, you need to modify the tuning and parameters of every note on the piano in order to simulate the micro variations in a normally tuned acoustic piano. However, once this is done well, modelled pianos are awesome.

Now, there is the other side to this: if you own a PC, apple PC or laptop, you may connect any of these digital piano instruments via MIDI cable or USB to your computer. This allows you to use a software piano (a piece of software that generates piano sound aka Virtual Studio Technology or VST piano). If you buy a Kawai piano (for the best action), you can use your PC or laptop with a VST piano called Pianoteq. Pianoteq (see 2mins 44secs for demo) is a modelled piano VST, so you can play modelled piano on a Kawai, just as you can with the Roland pianos mentioned.

Pianoteq is different from Roland piano modelling, but competitive. Therefore, we can have our cake and eat it i.e., have the Kawai action with modelled sound.
There is a pianoworld user called 'bigbang' who has made some nice videos of the Kawai ES8 and the Roland FP-90. These videos are a good comparison showing you how the Kawai's and the Roland piano sounds differ from one another. Another good comparison video compares theKawai CA17 to its competitors.

First, I'd like to thank you for your comment.

second, it's a little bit weird but, in my country, the g1 air cost £1390, and the Roland fp-90 £1882-£2300, and it marketed as a portable piano with the stand maybe but with 1 pedal.
Kawai ES-8 £1567, the same thing marked as portable without any pedals.
Kawai CA-17 - Couldn't find it at all for selling.
Roland HP603 - £2096 -£2396

and unfortunately, I do not have this budget for any of these pianos because I want a good quality monitor headphones too, and it will cost like £150.

Anyway, I guess I'll go check Kawai, Roland hopefully for greater pianos in the budget.

if anyone got more useful personal information(:

Thanks, and for all of you who even read.

is YAMAHA CLP535 better at hammer action from the g1 air? and a little bit less from Kawai es-8? (because I got budget for it if they really provide at the price they say in the store)

Last edited by Get(info)Give; 07/18/17 12:46 AM.
Re: Korg g1 air [Re: Get(info)Give] #2662192
07/17/17 06:18 PM
07/17/17 06:18 PM
C
ColoRodney Offline
ColoRodney  Offline
C

The Kawai ES 8 is sold as a "stage" keyboard with no stand, but including a single sustain pedal. It's a very nice pedal. You can ALSO buy for it a wooden stand and a triple pedal unit. If you want a full home piano, that's a good option. If, on the other hand, you're going to be moving it a lot (for instance, playing in a band), you'll probably want a foldable stand instead.

There is also a separate 2-pedal unit available, which is what I use. I like having a soft pedal, and it's also useful for switching the speed of the rotary function on the organ sounds.

The CA17 seems to be only in some markets (it isn't available in the USA). There are other home pianos that include cabinets and larger speakers, but they're all going to cost more.

Rodney Sauer
Kawai KG-2E • Kawai ES8
Re: Korg g1 air [Re: ColoRodney] #2662274
07/18/17 12:44 AM
07/18/17 12:44 AM
G
Get(info)Give Offline OP
G

Originally Posted by ColoRodney
The Kawai ES 8 is sold as a "stage" keyboard with no stand, but including a single sustain pedal. It's a very nice pedal. You can ALSO buy for it a wooden stand and a triple pedal unit. If you want a full home piano, that's a good option. If, on the other hand, you're going to be moving it a lot (for instance, playing in a band), you'll probably want a foldable stand instead.

There is also a separate 2-pedal unit available, which is what I use. I like having a soft pedal, and it's also useful for switching the speed of the rotary function on the organ sounds.

The CA17 seems to be only in some markets (it isn't available in the USA). There are other home pianos that include cabinets and larger speakers, but they're all going to cost more.

Yea I understand but I want full home piano with cabinet(if it called like that) including 3 pedals, I'm sorry didn't mention but I'm a starter and probably in the next couple years I just want to play I don't think about moving it, anyway if I will it will be at least after 2years.

furthermore, I want it to be a solid stand, and in my budget, the starting price of Kawi ES-8 without any stand(and I think without bunch) is too much for me.

my budget is dividing like this: $1500-$1800(with a bunch), $150-$180 for monitor headphones.

Last edited by Get(info)Give; 07/18/17 12:45 AM.
Re: Korg g1 air [Re: Get(info)Give] #2662280
07/18/17 01:20 AM
07/18/17 01:20 AM
C
ColoRodney Offline
ColoRodney  Offline
C

If I were you, I'd get a better piano and cheaper headphones. But your decision is up to you.

Rodney Sauer
Kawai KG-2E • Kawai ES8
Re: Korg g1 air [Re: ColoRodney] #2662302
07/18/17 07:52 AM
07/18/17 07:52 AM
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Doug M. Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Doug M.  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Cheshire, United Kingdom
If I were you, I'd get a better piano and cheaper headphones. But your decision is up to you.

Yeah, you can always save up for better headphones later.

Re: Korg g1 air [Re: Doug M.] #2662348
07/18/17 12:16 PM
07/18/17 12:16 PM
G
Get(info)Give Offline OP
G

can agree with the logic, but the piano you guys telling me to buy, in my country, coming without any pedals, without any stand, and in the basis will cost $2,100+, with the pedals and the stand, it will be =$2,250 minimum right? what about headphones another $50 right? - so from $1900-$1950 to $2300-$2500 - its not a little bit more, i don't have this money, I worked 2-month full-time job for this.

Re: Korg g1 air [Re: Get(info)Give] #2662354
07/18/17 12:59 PM
07/18/17 12:59 PM
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Doug M. Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Doug M.  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Cheshire, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by Get(info)Give

can agree with the logic, but the piano you guys telling me to buy, in my country, coming without any pedals, without any stand, and in the basis will cost $2,100+, with the pedals and the stand, it will be =$2,250 minimum right? what about headphones another $50 right? - so from $1900-$1950 to $2300-$2500 - its not a little bit more, i don't have this money, I worked 2-month full-time job for this.

I use a pair of headphones from my Sony Xperia XA1 with my Kawai MP7, they work fine. I'm planning to improve to Sennheiser HD600/650, but saving up for an audio interface with headphone amp that I can use with Pianoteq first. I can understand that it means waiting longer; however, you're not buying a can of coke to quench thirst, you're going to have that instrument 5 to 10 years. Your other possibility is to go on Ebay and look for something second hand that has a great action but is less money. I wonder where come from that these instruments cost so much?

Re: Korg g1 air [Re: Doug M.] #2662422
07/18/17 05:43 PM
07/18/17 05:43 PM
G
Get(info)Give Offline OP
G

I use a pair of headphones from my Sony Xperia XA1 with my Kawai MP7, they work fine. I'm planning to improve to Sennheiser HD600/650, but saving up for an audio interface with headphone amp that I can use with Pianoteq first. I can understand that it means waiting longer; however, you're not buying a can of coke to quench thirst, you're going to have that instrument 5 to 10 years. Your other possibility is to go on Ebay and look for something second hand that has a great action but is less money. I wonder where come from that these instruments cost so much?

Israel..., sucks.

yea, maybe you right.

What about CLP 535?

Last edited by Get(info)Give; 07/18/17 05:44 PM.
Re: Korg g1 air [Re: Get(info)Give] #2662530
07/19/17 06:31 AM
07/19/17 06:31 AM
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Doug M. Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Doug M.  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Cheshire, United Kingdom

Israel..., sucks.

yea, maybe you right.

What about CLP 535?

Yamaha CLP's are reasonable. It has a GH3X (Graded Hammer 3X) keyboard with synthetic ivory keytops, escapement and 60W amplification (2x 30W). This is the same action they have on the new CLP 635. I guess you might have a good deal due to the recent introduction of the 6 series CLP's. The Kawai's have nicer actions at that price point, but otherwise, the Yamaha's are pretty good. So although the action is probably not as good as the Kawai CA17 action, it has more powerful amplification. They are quite comparable. I would certainly test the Yamaha out.

If you wanted to list all the models you can get access to with their prices, that would be interesting.
I would then test out the best ones.

Re: Korg g1 air [Re: Doug M.] #2662593
07/19/17 12:54 PM
07/19/17 12:54 PM
G
Get(info)Give Offline OP
G

Israel..., sucks.

yea, maybe you right.

What about CLP 535?

Yamaha CLP's are reasonable. It has a GH3X (Graded Hammer 3X) keyboard with synthetic ivory keytops, escapement and 60W amplification (2x 30W). This is the same action they have on the new CLP 635. I guess you might have a good deal due to the recent introduction of the 6 series CLP's. The Kawai's have nicer actions at that price point, but otherwise, the Yamaha's are pretty good. So although the action is probably not as good as the Kawai CA17 action, it has more powerful amplification. They are quite comparable. I would certainly test the Yamaha out.

If you wanted to list all the models you can get access to with their prices, that would be interesting.
I would then test out the best ones.

Bought the Korg G1! , sorry it against what you guys said, but I tried another time Yamaha's and Casio,Kawai and didn't have time or money for roland.

really liked the feel of the Korg, the sound it can produce and the quality of the keys is greater than clp535 in my opinion...

i will update here, maybe I will do a video on it since there is almost no videos that show korg g1 air.

great day for everyone!

Re: Korg g1 air [Re: Get(info)Give] #2779144
11/08/18 12:27 AM
11/08/18 12:27 AM
J
JujuC Offline
JujuC  Offline
J

Hey how is the Korg G1 treating you

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Roland DP10 pedal - is it actually 'continuous'?
by AlphaBravoCharlie. 10/17/19 06:07 AM
Passacaglia, Spain musical
by Alston9981. 10/17/19 04:14 AM
Piece for piano beginner
by Alston9981. 10/17/19 04:03 AM
Keyboard issues on Kawai CA98
by Spannah. 10/17/19 03:39 AM
Rhodes info
by Ed McMorrow, RPT. 10/16/19 09:52 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,566
Posts2,880,024
Members94,688
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission