2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
79 members (anotherscott, Abdol, Carey, Alex C, antune, astrotoy, BlakeOR, 17 invisible), 581 guests, and 436 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Rickster #2661899 07/16/17 06:07 PM
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Rickster
If it's were you can, I believe I'd plan on making the trip to look at the Baldwin studio or the Samick 121 (for $800) if possible. In my experience, I've learned that you have to take advantage of a good deal on a pre-owned piano where you find it. I drove about 150 miles to another state to look at my Yamaha C7. My Baldwin R was located about 300 miles away. My Howard/Kawai 550 was located about 200 miles away. My Kawai K48A upright was located about 10 miles away; I got lucky on that one.

The point I'm trying to make is that if you want a nice used piano for a low price, you have to go where the piano is located for sale. If not, you'll just have to look closer to home and take what you can get or keep looking/waiting. And, for the record, it is difficult for me to travel long distances as well.
+1

A further thought about the drive: Once you've got the piano and are enjoying it for years the drive becomes much less significant.

The Everett looks like a better choice than the Baldwin you linked. The Baldwin looks quite old and battered. Might be fine, but certainly a higher risk.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
JanisMM #2661930 07/16/17 08:22 PM
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
A quality 3lb hammer and eye protection is always Fun.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
JanisMM #2661931 07/16/17 08:23 PM
J
JanisMM Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I'm going to take a look at the Everett tomorrow--it is a drive, but I agree it is worth it.

My grandson lives with me smile

Janis
JanisMM #2661935 07/16/17 08:34 PM
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
There is a story about Yehudi Menuin:

When he was a really small child, he asked his parents for a violin.

They supplied a toy violin. He smashed it immediately.

The story is here (if the link works):

https://books.google.ca/books?id=Kp...lin%20yehudi%20menuhin%20toy&f=false

So I should withdraw my implied suggestion for a DP. If he lives with you, and he _knows_ what he wants, best to not disrespect his wishes.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
JanisMM #2661940 07/16/17 09:08 PM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JanisMM
I'm going to take a look at the Everett tomorrow--it is a drive, but I agree it is worth it.

My grandson lives with me smile

Best wishes that the Everett works out for you and your grandson tomorrow 😊

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
JanisMM #2661946 07/16/17 09:41 PM
L
L
We found an older Yamaha upright for free. It still plays well and no major issues.

We had to drive 30 min each way to see it (with a bag of cookies) and pay for delivery but it was worth every effort. Good luck with your search!

JanisMM #2662021 07/17/17 07:11 AM
J
JanisMM Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for all of your advice, one and all. This is the internet at its finest.

I'll let you know the results.

I had to laugh at the Menuhin story. My son (now 24) started on piano at age 6. Over a couple of years he got "fired" by three teachers because he was intractable and wouldn't practice--and they weren't high-class teachers either! He kept insisting that he wanted to play, so I kept trying to find him a teacher who would somehow work out.

He started violin in school, decided he loved it, and I found him a wonderful teacher who started him out making dying cat sounds to drive us nuts. You would think that skill is original sin on the violin, but this teacher did it better. So, he quit piano and studied violin. He still refused to practice, sounded awful, and was completely intractable, but he said he wanted to play.

One day he heard the marvellous violin teacher play mandolin, as many folk fiddlers do.

Fast-forward and he is a struggling young professional mandolin player out East. Sometimes you have to listen to kids and support them in finding their true love.

Janis
JanisMM #2662028 07/17/17 08:13 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JanisMM
He started violin in school, decided he loved it, and I found him a wonderful teacher who started him out making dying cat sounds to drive us nuts. You would think that skill is original sin on the violin, but this teacher did it better. So, he quit piano and studied violin. He still refused to practice, sounded awful, and was completely intractable, but he said he wanted to play.

One day he heard the marvellous violin teacher play mandolin, as many folk fiddlers do.

Fast-forward and he is a struggling young professional mandolin player out East. Sometimes you have to listen to kids and support them in finding their true love.

Your story regarding your son and his music endeavors reminds me of my oldest son, Mark. For many years, I've played the guitar, 5-string banjo and violin, self taught for the most part. When my son, Mark, was about 7 or 8 years old, my wife decided he needed to take violin lessons. So, she chose the swankiest, most affluent, most expensive violin teacher in the largest town near by.

Long story short, after a few months of expensive weekly lessons, he had his first recital. We were all excited, especially my wife. There were other children of different ages to get up and do their performance, and when it was time for my son, Mark, to do his recital, he got up and sawed on one string with the bow. No song, no tune, no melody, just sawing back and forth on one string/note. I leaned over to my wife and whispered in her ear that I taught him that the first day we got him the 1/2 size violin.

So much for the expensive violin lessons. Of course, like your son, Mark has become an excellent amateur musician and plays locally at various venues, for money. You can Google "Mark Henson Band" and hear some of his performances. He's a far better musician than I'll ever be. smile

Interesting story, Janis!

Good luck with the piano!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
JanisMM #2662109 07/17/17 12:53 PM
D
D
Janis, you are in a tough spot trying to find a decent piano with your limited budget. Most likely, these "free" or under $1000 pianos will need substantial work to make them playable. There are always exceptions of course, but they are exceptions for a reason.

I notice that a dealer in Waukegan has a Baldwin Hamilton listed on CL:

https://racine.craigslist.org/msd/d/baldwin-hamilton-studio/6154450135.html

I know this is above your budget, but you can be assured this piano has been checked and tuned, will get another tuning once delivered to your home, and comes with a basic warranty. They do charge for moving but it appears reasonable (assuming you are in the Chicago metro area)

I have no personal connection with this dealer or piano.

Baldwin SF-10
Petrof III
Chickering Console (1950s)
Associate Member PTG (Chicago chapter)
JanisMM #2662163 07/17/17 03:55 PM
J
JanisMM Offline OP
OP Offline
J
You are right, I know that. I'm under no delusions--but I also know that I can't possibly spend $2000-$3000 for a piano. Just can't. I'm going to check out the free one now. There are a few others that are in my budget (with moving) -- I'll just keep poking until I find something that works.

Thanks so much, much, much.

Janis
JanisMM #2662185 07/17/17 05:30 PM
D
D
I understand. One place I would suggest is the organization called Keys 4/4 Kids. They have a large warehouse of donated pianos which are repaired and sold to individuals with low incomes.this warehouse is located in a industrial section on Chicag's southwest side. You can find them on the web but make sure you type the 4/4 or you get an unrelated religious group.keys 4/4 Kids is a not for profit with locations in several cities.

Baldwin SF-10
Petrof III
JanisMM #2662340 07/18/17 11:23 AM
J
JanisMM Offline OP
OP Offline
J
So, the piano I looked at was on the other side of the universe, 1 1/2 hours in traffic and closed roads (flooding) and not worth taking.

Next up--

Baldwin/Hamilton upright, 1965. The guy says it was tuned last year and the tech and his daughter's piano teacher liked it.

Wurlitzer, https://chicago .craigslist.org/nch/msg/d/wurlitzer-piano-for-sale/6224044448.html
No additional info available yet.

I'm sticking a bit closer to home after last night's adventure--I've got a kid to take care of!

Janis
JanisMM #2662350 07/18/17 12:25 PM
D
D
A Baldwin Hamilton, In good condition, is your best bet. I owned one for seven years and these are solid pianos, built for school use.

That Wurlitzer also appears to be a studio. The details are sketchy. From the one blurry plate shot, it seems to be an older piano. Proceed with caution. Wurlitzer attheirbest don't compare well with the Baldwins, but may be OK for your needs.

Baldwin SF-10
Petrof III
JanisMM #2662637 07/19/17 09:17 PM
J
JanisMM Offline OP
OP Offline
J
So, I looked at the Baldwin Hamilton. Somebody tried to refinish it badly at some point, so it doesn't look great. It doesn't sound bad except for a high A and G# (next to each other) that just keep ringing. Except for those notes it checks out okay on everything I know to check...

It will cost $200 to move, and the piano is free. What do you think? Wild guesses? It looks like this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzjOyN3NTWvUWJnUjZrMURIV0kyUDNrcmpENjh2RG1acjVz/view?usp=sharing

Janis
JanisMM #2662648 07/19/17 10:27 PM
D
D
Can't say for sure without looking at it, but those two "ringing" notes may just be stuck dampers. This is a simple fix. The important question is whether the piano can hold a tune. When was it last tuned?

How old is it?did you write down the SN? You are right, it does not look great. But, it does not look bad, it is free and might be just the right piano for you at this time

Baldwin SF-10
Petrof III
JanisMM #2662654 07/19/17 10:52 PM
You know, for free and $200 to move, I don't think you'll do better than the Baldwin Hamilton studio. It looks decent in the picture and Duke is correct, sticky dampers are usually an easy fix. Perhaps take you hand/fingers and unstick them and play the note several times to get it to loosen up.

The refinish job on the Baldwin isn't too bad. I've seen much worse, and if you like the piano, it'd be fairly easy to re-do the old refinish. It looks like someone has already done the hard work getting the old finish off...

I owned a Baldwin Hamilton studio upright for a while and really liked it.

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Rickster #2662664 07/20/17 12:38 AM
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Rickster
You know, for free and $200 to move, I don't think you'll do better than the Baldwin Hamilton studio. It looks decent in the picture and Duke is correct, sticky dampers are usually an easy fix. Perhaps take you hand/fingers and unstick them and play the note several times to get it to loosen up.

The refinish job on the Baldwin isn't too bad. I've seen much worse, and if you like the piano, it'd be fairly easy to re-do the old refinish. It looks like someone has already done the hard work getting the old finish off...

I owned a Baldwin Hamilton studio upright for a while and really liked it.

Good luck!

Rick
+1
We can't know for sure about the ringing notes, but this piano for free looks like a good option.

I've played this model everywhere from schools to church social halls, and the ones I've seen have been very reliable. That's not to say this one doesn't have any issues. It might - we can't know that for sure. But you're not putting much at risk.... mainly the cost of the move.

As far as the finish... if you're comfortable with it in your house I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes a carefully placed chair or a cloth draped across the top can hide a lot.

Has your grandson played it? Did he like it?

Pianist and Piano Teacher
JanisMM #2662723 07/20/17 08:02 AM
J
JanisMM Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Deep breath.

I'm going to take the piano and since the moving is cheap, I'll pay to get a good tech in and get it tuned and any minor repair work done on those keys (hoping for minor). It really does sound pretty good, and I don't care about the finish--I'll never sell it, it will leave my place as an inheritance and my kids can worry about it! I'm figuring that I can probably get this one fixed up to sound good well within my budget, while the ones that are posted for a few hundred dollars on Craigslist will still need fixing up and that would end up beyond what I can pay.

I didn't take the grandson to try it. Kids fixate on little things like the color of something. I think he'll love it once it is "his." It is big and will look impressive to him after his tiny 76-key spinet.

Thanks to all of you. I've enjoyed the adventure and advice!

Janis
JanisMM #2662738 07/20/17 09:40 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Best of luck with it. If you are really lucky, moving it might fix those 2 notes. It sometimes does if it is just something sticking.

Get round it with a bit of polish and it will soon be looking good.

Nice neutral sort of a colour which will fit in anywhere.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
JanisMM #2662749 07/20/17 10:37 AM
D
D
Janis, best wishes for your new piano. Your grandson is so fortunate to have you as his grandmother.

Do you have a piano tech already? If not, go to www.ptg.org click on the upper right of the home page, type in your ZIP code, and a list of RPTs in your area will appear.

Baldwin SF-10
Petrof III
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Thinking about Buying a used Steinway?
by astrotoy - 04/19/21 02:43 PM
Pivot termination
by Guido, Roma - Italy - 04/19/21 01:45 PM
Numa Compact 2x VS Arturia Keylab Essential 88
by Violao - 04/19/21 01:14 PM
The Logo of the Future - Steingraeber
by Skjalg - 04/19/21 10:47 AM
Practuce With Czerny
by BbAltered - 04/19/21 10:05 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,397
Posts3,084,152
Members101,241
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission