2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
59 members (anotherscott, Damien PG, Carey, c++, chopinetto, 36251, 10 invisible), 552 guests, and 446 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
The Yamaha P-45 uses a "GHS" action. It's not particularly "thumpy", or "clickey".

Sorbothane vibration dampers, between the piano and its stand, might be enough to quiet it down. Very simple to do.

There are YouTube videos on how to build a vibration-damping platform -- with tennis-ball isolators -- for drums or DP's. But you need some woodworking skills, and tools.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Originally Posted by Dave Androos

Thank you.I think what you are referring to is ERT (Exposure and response therapy) which is designed to continually expose you to your obsession until your anxiety levels decrease.
[quick addition: i did try drawing but I have no ability for it. I did do some splashy pollock-style painting though which was fun!]

Ah, thank you for that clarification. I think my daughter's therapist lumped it all under the term CBT. As for art, it is in the eye of the beholder, right? Well, except for those dumb big squares of red or blue. I don't see that as art, only a way for rich people to brag about their ability to fork over $1 million. But I digress...

Good luck with everything. It sounds like you have a handle on this. Seriously, if you can ride on a BUS, you can do this. Wouldn't catch me on one of those things unless I had a paper bag for all the hyperventilating I would be doing. wink

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I am late to the thread. I can tell my story. I had a crazy neighbor, and also suffer from mental health challenges. A couple of things that I did were to put a towel underneath the keyboard that sits on a hard desk. I would play when I knew the neighbor was not there.

I bought a portable unit that I could take to the local park and play. It is an Irig 37 pro, about $200 USD. Also needs an Ipad or laptop, and perhaps Bluetooth speakers. The whole kit, Irig, Ipad, speaker weighs less than 7 pounds (3 kg). and fits in a large tote bag. While not a piano, and 37 keys is extremely limited, it does make music.

I also belong to a group where we practice CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy). My involvement with Recovery International has changed my life. It is mostly U.S. based. Meetings are free (give what you want) and open to all adults.

Good luck.

D
OP Offline
D
I wanted to share an update on this, although I'm slightly anxious to as I feel it may curse it! I was sitting at home on Friday, eating my dinner, when a van pulled up outside. I peered through the curtains and saw my neighbour loading his possessions into it. He had promised/threatened to move out in the past but I'd given up hope of it happening. Only after speaking to my next door neighbour did I receive confirmation that he was indeed moving out. I don't want to celebrate too heavily yet in case he returns for whatever reason. I am tentatively celebrating! After a couple of weeks I will perhaps be a bit more jubilant!

I set up my DP in my lounge for the first time in months and spent yesterday afternoon working on a new piece (Mussorgsky - Pictures At An Exhibition [Promenade] in case you're interested!) Felt like heaven!

Thank you all so much for your contributions to this thread. It meant a great deal to me over this past week.

I only found out at the weekend that he's given another of my neighbours in the building a nervous breakdown with his behaviour. It's not on is it folks? Look after your neighbours smile x

Last edited by Dave Androos; 07/17/17 09:52 AM.

Self-taught pianist since Feb 2015
JS Bach devotee
Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber

That is great news! Hope you are able to continue playing your DP and that it brings you great joy!

Roland LX-7
Started lessons in April, 2017
In progress: Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course: Lesson-Theory-Technic: Level 2 | Fundamentals of Piano Theory - Level 2 | Hanon: The Virtuoso Pianist in 60 Exercises
L
L
Try smoking weed. Or getting drunk.

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by lean to tail
Try smoking weed. Or getting drunk.

I was wondering when a qualified doctor of psychology was going to contribute to the thread. smirk Guessing the poster is joking but just in case.....please don't go this route if you're experiencing similar issues unless you want to kick yourself while you're down. I tried both in the past. Neither work and often they compound your misery. Seek therapy instead.

If anyone is reading this at a later date and wants to talk to someone who can hopefully understand what you're going through, PM me and I'll give you my contact info. smile

JS Bach devotee
S
S
Dave I'm so glad that things look like they are changing for the better for you, I really wish the best for you.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yay! Great news about your neighbour moving!

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Scottswald
Dave I'm so glad that things look like they are changing for the better for you, I really wish the best for you.

Thanks mate

Originally Posted by sara elizabeth
Yay! Great news about your neighbour moving!

Thanks. I'll need a couple of weeks before I can really relax about it, but so far so good smile

JS Bach devotee
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Thinking of buying a 2007 Yamaha G2 5'7" Grand
by Teresa100 - 04/20/21 07:52 PM
Estonia L190 Bass Scale
by mbd - 04/20/21 07:52 PM
A closer look at the Feurich 'Vienna' 123 model
by oswaldpeters - 04/20/21 04:22 PM
generic name for Mellotron
by TheophilusCarter - 04/20/21 03:24 PM
Getting back to the piano...
by sheana - 04/20/21 02:26 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,431
Posts3,084,688
Members101,254
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission