2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
87 members (AWilley, accordeur, anotherscott, AndrewJCW, 8ude, Adem, 19 invisible), 660 guests, and 590 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 27 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 26 27
Re: Kawai announces ES110 ultra-portable digital piano
Kawai James #2657389 06/29/17 01:10 AM
D
D
Hello, i have a question, the problem spacing key is solved? I think buy a es110, All keys have the same distance? What is your thought this piano? Very very thanks! I need help for choose this or Roland fp30

(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
Hotstrings #2657403 06/29/17 03:47 AM
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Hotstrings
Love my new KawaiES 110 BUT every key has a slight vibration when released to its original position.. is that a result of the new RHC action?.I'm ok with the clicking ( heard about that before )As a beginner I can't determine if vibration affects "feel"?
Thanks Mr AJ

Most probably you are talking about natural thing in digital pianos. Please look at slow motions movies from top dp pianos in youtube (Roland PHAIV, PHA50, Yamaha NWX, Kawai GF and GF2) and see whether you have the same effect and that even top digital actions behave in that manner. Of course, in those top models it will be drastically reduced, but slight bumping when the key is back to it's starting position is normal and nothing to be worried.

Kawai James #2657439 06/29/17 06:44 AM
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Yes, real acoustic pianos have a slight "key bounce" on release too, this is actually something digital piano actions attempt to replicate. I think it does provide a certain level of feedback or feel when playing quick passages and arpeggios but I honestly don't know how important it is, as I've never played a piano that doesn't have it.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Dany86 #2657443 06/29/17 06:54 AM
H
H
Mine has one spot where spacing is just a smudge off. Not like u tube video w ones w big spaces.
I love this piano. No app but virtual tech which works sound settings but doesn't switch instruments. I'm a new piano student at age of 72 so I wanted a piano that sounds and feels closet to real thing. Wasn't interested in bells and whistles and led screens . Just nice piano.

Dany86 #2657461 06/29/17 08:19 AM
H
H
Not sure the kawai Es 110 would be better than Roland for gigs.. the Kawai is not user friendly as u have to hit a button, then a specific key an hope u did it right cause there is no led screen and u have to listen for the change. Wish that one day someone will build a digital piano period . Put all money and effort into a beautiful sound..No stupid drum patterns. Don't we all have that In 3 or 4 other apps an devices. Lose those useless inadequate built in speakers. I can't imagine listening to ANY digital piano w/o proper amp or pa . Maybe two other sounds like organ .. Kawai should use the RHC 3
And some other features from better pianos. Just lose more sounds and bells and whistles.

Hotstrings #2657479 06/29/17 09:48 AM
A
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Hotstrings
Not sure the kawai Es 110 would be better than Roland for gigs.. the Kawai is not user friendly as u have to hit a button, then a specific key an hope u did it right cause there is no led screen and u have to listen for the change. Wish that one day someone will build a digital piano period . Put all money and effort into a beautiful sound.

Combining the two ideas you put forth there, the ES110 is okay for gigs IF all you want is a nice piano sound. If you're not going to use its other sounds, then the inability to tell which sound you've selected is irrelevant. But I agree that in a live situation, where you may have to switch sounds in an instant and be sure the sound is right before you play, the lack of any front panel indication of the selected sound is a real issue if you're using it for multiple sounds.

Kawai James #2657483 06/29/17 10:05 AM
J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I use the Es110 for all my gigs, but I only need a piano sound as I play jazz.

anotherscott #2657614 06/29/17 09:03 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Originally Posted by anotherscott
...in a live situation, where you may have to switch sounds in an instant and be sure the sound is right before you play, the lack of any front panel indication of the selected sound is a real issue if you're using it for multiple sounds.

In this case, I would recommend using the Registration memories, which can be used to store both the sound and its associated settings (dual/split, effects on/off, etc.).

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Kawai James #2657623 06/29/17 09:47 PM
A
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Kawai James
[I would recommend using the Registration memories, which can be used to store both the sound and its associated settings (dual/split, effects on/off, etc.).

That's definitely a help! But it would be better if there was even something that lit up to show you which registration you'd selected. Probably more important for a multi-keyboard setup, where you could be returning to the ES100 after playing another board... you may not necessarily remember what sound the ES100 was set for when you last played it, and you can't tell by looking which sound it is set for. I guess maybe you'd get in the habit of always selecting the sound before you started a new song, even if the sound might be what it was already set for, just to be sure...

Kawai James #2657640 06/29/17 10:52 PM
OP Offline
As always Scott, you're spot on.

I agree, some indicator lights would have been a nice addition...
Oh well, can't blame a guy from trying to defend his employer's product. wink

Cheers,
James
x

Kawai James #2657658 06/30/17 01:06 AM
G
G
I purchased the ES-110 about a month ago. I am, overall, very happy with it, and have used it already on 3 jazz gigs. I have been using an Acoustic Image amp, and now have a Electro-Voice xl90 powered speaker on order. Will be here any day to pick up from Guitar Center. GC had an open box deal, and the advantage of GC ship to store is that I could return it right back to store if there is any problem, which is 2 miles from home vs. possibly having to pay postage..

What I do not really understand about this piano is why the F key in the octave above middle C is a little louder than adjoining keys. I have learned to live with this, but then when I sit down at my Kurzweil piano, it is so nice to hear even tones. And, tonight, at the gig, I could hear the E key right below it almost cutting out, at least much less loud. Maybe that is an amp problem, but I do not recall using filters, just eq-ing the treble, mids, and bass mostly around 12:00. .

You talk about dealers here, but I bought this on Amazon. It is debate-able whether it really is a defect, even if it somewhat bothers me. I am just wondering if there is anything I can do to adjust this. Does not appear to be anything in the manual. Otherwise, everything works just great. Key spacing is fine. The piano is more trebly than the Kurzweil, but, for a gig, it really has a nice presence. Any suggestions?

Kawaii ES-110; Casio Privia PX-S-1000
Jazz, blues, Latin, and a touch of classical and new age.
gracegren #2657664 06/30/17 02:16 AM
OP Offline
Hello gracegren,

Originally Posted by gracegren
Any suggestions?

Please contact Kawai America for assistance.

Kind regards,
James
x

Kawai James #2657711 06/30/17 07:22 AM
H
H
Only 4 registration memories. Better than none I guess

gracegren #2657729 06/30/17 08:13 AM
H
H
You know mine is slightly louder on F too but since I'm a 72 beginner not sure it will affect me much.

Kawai James #2659983 07/09/17 05:14 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Originally Posted by musicman100
Has anyone connected the Bluetooth to android. If so what apps did you use?

Bluetooth MIDI support on Android is dependent on your device and OS. May I ask if you can provide this information, please? There are a few MIDI apps on the Play Store, however these may not necessarily support Bluetooth. Certainly, compared to iOS, the number of MIDI/music apps available is relatively small.

Also I like having registration for live playing but why oh why does it not save transpose!!! If I am playing live I have to try and figure what combination of keys to press!! If not stored at least have a dedicated button!! Is that something that can be added in an update? thats very crucial for me!!

As you note, the Transpose setting is not stored to Registration memory. This is a standard specification among Kawai DPs, and I believe most - if not all - DP/stage piano manufacturers. These memories are typically used to quickly change sound configurations mid-song, whereby storing the transpose setting would not be desirable.

Kind regards,
James
x

My Yamaha keyboard stores transpose in the registration memory which i found very useful!!. I understand about mid song but then you would not store it is the registration memory.!! Its just having no separate button for transpose how do you do it quickly in a live situation? Using the registration memory would have been ideal. Its a shame it cant be added on an update!! Even with an option not to store the transpose settings in the registration memory. You are claerly aiming this to the gigging person with the aux outs!! So we need transpose as well!!

It is something that can be controlled by the app over bluetooth?

Last edited by musicman100; 07/09/17 06:09 AM.

http://www.scoreexchange.com/profiles/NigelFletcher

Dexibell P7 Kawai ES110 Yamaha PSR-S770
musicman100 #2660024 07/09/17 10:22 AM
A
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A
My Yamaha keyboard stores transpose in the registration memory which i found very useful!!.

There are boards that can do this, and boards that can't... We're kind of spoiled having the feature to begin with, some boards don't have it at all. Actual acoustic pianos, for example. ;-) (Or an actual Rhodes/Wurli, clav, tonewheel Hammond organ...) Many of the people we gig with can't necessarily transpose their instruments, either. At least you can transpose the ES110, even if the transposition can't be stored in a single button press.

Really, since (as you say) you're not doing it mid-song, the ES110 approach isn't too terrible, especially if most of your transpositions are just, say, a half step or a whole step, which is pretty commonly the case. With only 4 registration buttons, you couldn't store many transpositions anyway. And every time you used one of those buttons to store a transposition, you'd be unable to use that button for any "normal" playing, so you'd be trading off an opportunity to store quick access to some other sound, which I don't think many people would find to be such a good trade-off, with only 4 spots available. Plus, if you wanted to change sounds mid-song with those buttons, and accidentally hit the wrong one, you could suddenly be sounding in the wrong key. ;-) I'm not saying it wouldn't be a nice feature that people could choose to use or not use, but I think suggesting that gigging players "need" this feature overstates the case. I suspect the number of giggers who "need" this is very much a minority.

Personally, I think the real limitation of the Kawai approach is having to repeatedly hit "plus and minus" keys. It would be better if there were 12 different keys for the 12 different, well, keys. Then an alternate key could be selected more quickly, and with less chance of error. I understand the problem they faced... with all the other functions they have assigned to keys, they were running out of keys, so conceptually, it's hard to place everything in places where they make sense and balance all the things you'd like to have direct access to. But yeah, I'd have preferred having, say, the top 12 keys used for selecting transpositions.

It is something that can be controlled by the app over bluetooth?

If you have an iPhone/iPad, you can probably turn Local Off, use an app like iMidiPatchbay, and select transpositions that way. It might work with the bluetooth MIDI... if not, you could try a hard-wired MIDI connection.

Kawai James #2660455 07/10/17 11:24 PM
OP Offline
Excellent reply Scott.

Cheers,
James
x

Kawai James #2660460 07/10/17 11:34 PM
G
G
I received a response from Kawai Suggesting iI move the piano to a different room or part of room. I had already relocated the piano to the back music room and no longer a problem! The other room had wood floors, a lot of stuff in it whereas the music room is carpeted by choice and has fewer items and other items to absorb sound. Just surprised how this made a big difference.

Kawaii ES-110; Casio Privia PX-S-1000
Jazz, blues, Latin, and a touch of classical and new age.
Kawai James #2664290 07/27/17 09:01 AM
A
A
Kawai James, can you help me where can i get this piano ? im based in indonesia. (Sorry for my English)

Best regard
Andi

Kawai James #2664375 07/27/17 03:12 PM
Hello Kawai James & co! I Finally bought the ES-110 yesterday... It really seemed like it was designed for someone like me -- no frills, just basic good piano feel/sound; so I was very optimistic. I'm still getting used to it -- played the first gig last night, and the next will be tomorrow. I'm a little concerned by the look/feel of the plastic -- it really evokes an early-90's Casio kind of cheapness (ominously reinforced by the dreaded "made in china" written on the box). It's gonna be hard to make myself think that I'm not playing a toy. Then again, maybe that's what's necessary to keep the weight low. I dunno... a little uneasy about it.

I'm pretty happy with the action, so far. And the pedal is great, too. The only other area that I'm uneasy about is the sound. I feel like it's a little metallic and electronic-y, especially in the upper register. Hopefully, I'll get used to it, or figure out some better settings with my amplifier (the sound sounds further away now, so I have to adjust the amp placement -- which is weird). I've spent a while with the manual, trying to figure out the best settings to my ears. The process for choosing settings is a bit rough, but if that keeps the weight (and unnecessary frills) down, then I guess that's ok.

I wasn't sure if I was happy with the sound last night. But, after the gig, a good piano player in the audience came up and said he loved the sound, and then he tried the ES-110 out and was so overjoyed that he said he'd buy one for himself today. So, that definitely makes me feel better... we'll see how gig #2 goes, tomorrow night.

Page 20 of 27 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 26 27

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kurzweil ka130 vs Casio px770 vs...
by Ninchie007 - 01/18/21 04:45 PM
Refurb or Trade for a Rebuild
by brdwyguy - 01/18/21 04:22 PM
VST Spreadsheet not Available on Sticky Thread
by Harpuia - 01/18/21 02:57 PM
Roland FP Advice
by LongTimeNoSee - 01/18/21 01:49 PM
Expanding Voices for a Digital Piano - Keep it SIMPLE
by Steve Wild - 01/18/21 01:35 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,365
Posts3,048,549
Members100,115
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission