Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
68 registered members (Animisha, Andrew_G, Alex C, AZNpiano, Anticlock, agraffe, alexk3954, atcsam, basebase, ando, 13 invisible), 703 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Avoid Hailun Pianos! #2659302
07/06/17 12:13 PM
07/06/17 12:13 PM
N
notebookone Offline OP
notebookone  Offline OP
N

I bought a Hailun H5-P in May. When tuners came they saw the "aluminum" keybed has rust all over it. I called Hailun and was told by Joe Defio that its normal and doesnt need replacement. Take a look at these pictures and tell me if they're normal in a piano.

In addition, I've been waiting two months for the warranty registration card. I called multiple times and was told the girl who does that is out. Two months of this!

I would avoid Hailun pianos. They don't back their pianos and don't expect any service from them!

http://forum.pianoworld.com//gallery/42/full/8723.jpg
http://forum.pianoworld.com//gallery/42/full/8724.jpg
http://forum.pianoworld.com//gallery/42/full/8725.jpg
http://forum.pianoworld.com//gallery/42/full/8726.jpg

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Avoid Hailun Pianos! [Re: notebookone] #2659306
07/06/17 12:33 PM
07/06/17 12:33 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Pardon me, but I'm still not sure what I'm looking at when I view the pictures? The key bed is underneath the keys, and is usually made of all wood. That's why they call it the key-bed.

Are you referring to the key-frame? The cast-iron harp/plate? Exactly what part is that in the pictures?

Also, FWIW, that doesn't look like rust to me. It looks more like some sort of packaging material stuck to the metal alloy.

I know you're upset, but I believe I'd try a little harder to get satisfaction from the dealer rather than attempt to trash Hailun all together on an Internet forum.

Maybe some of the Hailun dealers here can help you.

Good luck.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Avoid Hailun Pianos! [Re: notebookone] #2659315
07/06/17 01:21 PM
07/06/17 01:21 PM
J
joe80 Offline
2000 Post Club Member
joe80  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J

EITHER: That's not rust, or it's not aluminium. If it's aluminium corrosion then it's nothing to worry about because it strengthens the aluminium.

Does it affect how the piano plays? Are you satisfied with the instrument apart from this?

My computer keeps correcting me when I try to use the US spelling of "aluminium" so you're all stuck with it on my posts :p

Re: Avoid Hailun Pianos! [Re: notebookone] #2659319
07/06/17 01:37 PM
07/06/17 01:37 PM
SouthWest Michigan
R
Roger Ransom Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Roger Ransom  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

SouthWest Michigan
Those parts are good and are stronger than new? I wonder what they'll look like in 50 years.

I wouldn't like it either.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Avoid Hailun Pianos! [Re: notebookone] #2659322
07/06/17 01:50 PM
07/06/17 01:50 PM
California, USA
M
musicpassion Offline
2000 Post Club Member
musicpassion  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
M

California, USA
I'm not sure what I'm looking at in the picture either. But whatever it is, I don't like how it looks. I don't know if it's a structural concern.

All of the value priced pianos are built to a price point, and decisions in the design/building process have to be made where and how cost is going to be saved. I've heard some technicians say before (and I tend to agree) Hailun "goes cheap" on stuff that doesn't really impact tone and touch, and makes pretty good decisions on where to spend the money for the best tone and touch.

I know it doesn't help you feel any better about your piano, but maybe this is an area (whatever that area is) Hailun decided to "go cheap".

Pianist and Piano Teacher
Re: Avoid Hailun Pianos! [Re: notebookone] #2659338
07/06/17 02:32 PM
07/06/17 02:32 PM
Upstate NY
EricL Offline
EricL  Offline

Upstate NY
From the pictures, it looks like a metal bar that some "budget" pianos have. Its function is to strengthen the key bed. Instead of using a thick piece of wood, these pianos use a thinner piece of wood with a metal bar underneath it to support the weight exerted on the key bed. The corrosion (not rust) does not look good or normal. If this continues, it may cause problems later on. Try to contact the dealer to see if you can work out a solution. To me, this constitutes a defect in material and someone needs to take care of it.

Last edited by EricL; 07/06/17 02:51 PM.
Re: Avoid Hailun Pianos! [Re: notebookone] #2659345
07/06/17 02:56 PM
07/06/17 02:56 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by EricL
From the pictures, it looks like a metal bar that some "budget" pianos have. Its function is to support the keybed. Instead of using a thick piece of wood, these pianos use a thinner piece of wood with a metal bar underneath it to support the weight of the keybed. The corrosion (not rust) does not look good or normal. If this continues, it may cause problems later on. Try to contact the dealer to see if you can work out a solution. To me, this constitutes a defect in material and someone needs to take care of it.

Okay, this makes more sense now...

Looking at the pictures again, this metal alloy bar is the key-bed, or at least part of it. You can see the keys above it in some of the pictures. Every upright piano I've ever owned had a real wood key-bed, and it was rather substantial.

The "stuff" seen in the pictures could be some sort of corrosion, but it could still be some kind of glue/packaging material that stuck to the metal alloy bar while removing. It could also be some kind of biological growth (think Chia-Pet smile ). Not funny, I know, but that is what it looks like to me.

Either way, whether it's a problem or not, there is a very dissatisfied Hailun customer who joined Piano World to tell the world how bad Hailun pianos are and their customer service is. If I were a Hailun dealer here, I believe I'd try to help the OP out as much as possible.

Just my .02.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Avoid Hailun Pianos! [Re: notebookone] #2659347
07/06/17 02:59 PM
07/06/17 02:59 PM
N
notebookone Offline OP
notebookone  Offline OP
N

The tuner took off the bottom panel on the upright and that's what shows under the keyboard. Something is amiss because Hailun claims the keybed is aluminum, and aluminum doesnt rust!

The dealer says it's normal, and Hailun won't replace it. I've never seen anything like it that's why I'm asking professionals here as to what it is.

Hailun has been a huge disappointment. I mailed the warranty registration two months ago and they havent acknowledged it or sent the warranty card. I don't think they stand behind their products and their "warranty" is a joke!

Re: Avoid Hailun Pianos! [Re: notebookone] #2659354
07/06/17 03:16 PM
07/06/17 03:16 PM
N
notebookone Offline OP
notebookone  Offline OP
N

I'm sharing my experience because I don't know what else to do. Hailun won't replace it per conversation with Joe Defio the VP. THe dealer won;t replace it, and Hailun won't even send back the warranty card.

I've been patient the past two months and I'm sharing my story to warn others about this company.

Re: Avoid Hailun Pianos! [Re: notebookone] #2659355
07/06/17 03:25 PM
07/06/17 03:25 PM
Upstate NY
EricL Offline
EricL  Offline

Upstate NY
Is the dealer near you? If yes, can you visit the showroom and ask them to show you an exact model to see if this is indeed "normal"? Don't do anything until you get your warranty card back.

Re: Avoid Hailun Pianos! [Re: notebookone] #2659360
07/06/17 03:34 PM
07/06/17 03:34 PM
N
notebookone Offline OP
notebookone  Offline OP
N

I've looked at other Hailuns and didnt see the rust / corrosion in them, so I most certainly have a poorly constructed piano. Unfortunately, Hailun won't rectify it, and says its cosmetic. I don't think anyone who buys a piano will agree with Hailun that this is okay, and I do think waiting two months for a warranty card is more than the patient?

Re: Avoid Hailun Pianos! [Re: notebookone] #2659362
07/06/17 03:38 PM
07/06/17 03:38 PM
California, USA
M
musicpassion Offline
2000 Post Club Member
musicpassion  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
M

California, USA
Originally Posted by notebookone
I'm sharing my experience because I don't know what else to do. Hailun won't replace it per conversation with Joe Defio the VP. THe dealer won;t replace it, and Hailun won't even send back the warranty card.
I wouldn't expect them to replace the piano. Pianos are highly repairable, and I think many warranty issues are solved by repair. I agree you haven't been getting satisfactory service, from either your dealer or Hailun.
I've been patient the past two months and I'm sharing my story to warn others about this company.
And you're ringing a pretty loud bell. I don't blame you. I hope you can get a good resolution. This information, and their handling of it, is reflecting very badly on Hailun. This forum is very visable.

Re: Avoid Hailun Pianos! [Re: notebookone] #2659365
07/06/17 03:55 PM
07/06/17 03:55 PM
California, USA
M
musicpassion Offline
2000 Post Club Member
musicpassion  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
M

California, USA
Originally Posted by notebookone
I've looked at other Hailuns and didnt see the rust / corrosion in them, so I most certainly have a poorly constructed piano.
I don't think we can conclude the whole piano is poorly constructed. It seems more like a defective/substandard part to me.

As an example there was a time when a certain piano company, who shall remain anonymous but starts with a "Stein" and ends with a "way", suffered from quality control issues.

Here's one account I heard from a technician: a new piano from this anonymous company had major problems in the pedal assembly. But the company stood behind the piano, and treated their customer well. I think the solution (although I'm not a technician so wouldn't know all the details) was for a whole new pedal assembly to be shipped out and installed.

I'm not so concerned that a problem appeared.... it's the response you're getting that is troubling. It's kind of like a car my friend owned. It was a coulple of years old, still under warranty. It was burning a lot of oil. The dealer told him "Oh... that's normal. Completely within specification."

Re: Avoid Hailun Pianos! [Re: notebookone] #2659376
07/06/17 04:42 PM
07/06/17 04:42 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by musicpassion
I'm not so concerned that a problem appeared.... it's the response you're getting that is troubling. It's kind of like a car my friend owned. It was a coulple of years old, still under warranty. It was burning a lot of oil. The dealer told him "Oh... that's normal. Completely within specification."

This is exactly why piano warranties do not impress me much at all. I've read many similar stories, such as the one here with notebookone.

There has also been happy endings when the company/dealer stepped up and did the right thing, but that does not always happen.

As far as I'm concerned, give me an additional discount on a new piano, and forget the warranty. Sure, not all piano companies are like this, but it seems to be getting worse instead of better, based on this particular thread.

I hope for a happy and satisfactory outcome. If it were me, I'd remove the defective part, have it bead-blasted, primed and painted with a quality gold paint to match the plate, and reinstall it and enjoy the piano to the fullest.

Good luck!

Rick

Re: Avoid Hailun Pianos! [Re: notebookone] #2659405
07/06/17 06:33 PM
07/06/17 06:33 PM
Atlanta, GA
PianoWorksATL Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PianoWorksATL  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Atlanta, GA
This is unusual to say the least. I'm looking at your photos and don't like what I see. I am sympathetic to your frustration, but I will try to offer suggestions of the normal resources available to you.

Issuing a warranty is actually the dealer's responsibility. We get the warranty forms (blank) from the manufacturer and fill them out for the customer. In most cases, the customer is required to submit a copy or portion of the warranty to the manufacturer to actually register the warranty. If you don't wish to name your dealer, that is fine, but the dealer is the front line for you to solve problems. The dealer, in turn, works with the manufacturer or distributor.

I'm sorry you've not had better response. In addition to the warranty, you also have Hailun's "Dream Assurance" Program. While it is designed to satisfy touch & tone, it's broader promise can apply to your situation.
Hailun "Dream Assurance"

Of course, if this is not a new piano, then it is a little harder, and I risk talking out of turn. I'm making a reasonable assumption that the piano was purchased new. Even a transferable warranty does could be voided if the piano was not kept in a proper environment.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Re: Avoid Hailun Pianos! [Re: notebookone] #2659445
07/06/17 08:25 PM
07/06/17 08:25 PM
N
notebookone Offline OP
notebookone  Offline OP
N

Hi Sam,

The warranty form was mailed two months ago. Never got anything back from Hailun. I called many times and was told the girl who does warranties is on vacation or out of office. Left messages, and no response.

My dealer told me to call his contact Joe Defio at Hailun, and he said they wouldnt replace it as it doesnt affect the keys at this moment. So I did try for the past two months and I assure you there is no "Dream Assurance" from Hailun.

I had such high hopes for Hailun, but clearly its acting like its going out of business, not taking responsibility for the workmanship.

This piano is not a small purchase for me, so I am frustrated and will warn as many people as I can about what Hailun considers normal craftsmanship!

Re: Avoid Hailun Pianos! [Re: notebookone] #2659507
07/07/17 03:20 AM
07/07/17 03:20 AM
Surrey, B.C.
Norbert Online content
Norbert  Online Content

Surrey, B.C.
Why doesn't the Hailun distributor get involved here?
IMHO it's paramount in a case like this...

Norbert

Last edited by Norbert; 07/07/17 03:21 AM.

www.heritagepianos.com
Greater Vancouver B.C. piano dealers for : Estonia, Brodmann, Ritmuller
604-951-8642
Re: Avoid Hailun Pianos! [Re: notebookone] #2659535
07/07/17 06:11 AM
07/07/17 06:11 AM
Philadelphia/South Jersey
Rich Galassini Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Rich Galassini  Offline
Platinum Subscriber

Philadelphia/South Jersey
Sam has already given very good information and this is unusual.

For the benefit of members, this particular model of Hailun upright in fact has an aluminum keybed. It is a strong piano, IMHO.

The good news is that this appears to me to have happened before the piano was assembled, perhaps even before this part arrived at the piano factory. I see no oxidation of any kind on any other part of the piano. My first concern before I saw the photos was that if there is oxidation on the keybed, what other problems might there be? From your photos I see none.

Have you tried dialing (509)946-8078? That is the number for the American distributor.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila, Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for great content every week:
https://www.youtube.com/user/CunninghamPiano
Re: Avoid Hailun Pianos! [Re: notebookone] #2659545
07/07/17 07:55 AM
07/07/17 07:55 AM
E
ECP Offline
ECP  Offline
E

If this was Yamaha, I think PW members would form a lynch mob but because it's a brand that has a many supporters here, it is handled with kid gloves. This is not acceptable on a new piano and if it came from my shop it would be returned.

James Nicoloro
East Cambridge Piano
Massachusetts
617-354-4061
Re: Avoid Hailun Pianos! [Re: notebookone] #2659559
07/07/17 08:57 AM
07/07/17 08:57 AM
Williamsburg, VA
Piano*Dad Offline
Piano*Dad  Offline

Williamsburg, VA
Something is amiss because Hailun claims the keybed is aluminum, and aluminum doesnt rust!

Just want to be clear here. Aluminum may not "rust," because that word refers specifically to iron oxidizing. But aluminum certainly does oxidize (just like iron). Oxidized aluminum loses its shine. The surfaced becomes cloudy, which is what we normally think of as aluminum (because it usually has an oxidized surface). Oxidized aluminum doesn't look anything like those photos, however. That looks like a rusty iron bar that was imperfectly covered with some other (perhaps aluminum) surface, and the iron rust has bled through. I'm not saying that that's what it IS, but that's what it looks like to me from the photos.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Request for recommendations
by Megiddo. 03/21/19 02:05 AM
Today's Google Doodle Creates Bach Harmonies
by jazzyprof. 03/21/19 01:26 AM
Kawai GL10 confirmation bias
by Emery Wang. 03/21/19 12:21 AM
Any kawai GX, SK owners?
by kokatla. 03/20/19 10:22 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,012
Posts2,808,761
Members92,831
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission