2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
54 members (Animisha, CyberGene, anotherscott, BachToTheFuture, Beowulf, Balcon, dhull100, 36251, 13 invisible), 520 guests, and 413 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Are there any Steingraeber & Sohne pianos in Australia?
#2657098 06/28/17 03:22 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Hello All,

I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen a Steingraeber & Sohne piano in Australia. It would be great to try one here in Australia, to see if I like the way it feels and sounds.

We are considering a trip to Germany or the UK to try them, but that's a long way to go to then discover it's not what I was after.

I also have a question for anyone who's played a Steingraeber piano (preferably a grand, but upright is fine too); What does it feel like in comparison to other makes like Mason & Hamlin, Bosendorfer, Bluthner? In general, is it typically a heavy or light action to play?

Thank you for any insights you can offer smile

After a long search I recently bought my first grand piano, a 1981 Steinway Model O. Even though it's old, with some flaws, I fell in love with its warm and beautiful tone. It's currently interstate undergoing some restoration work.
Re: Are there any Steingraeber & Sohne pianos in Australia?
PerfectPianoSearch #2657108 06/28/17 05:06 AM

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
PPS, you've already played some great pianos!

I did my search in the U.S. five years ago and also played lots of wonderful instruments. I settled on a Steingraeber grand (originally the 212, later traded up to 232) and couldn't be happier.

But this is a very personal choice. Others might have been just as happy with a Bosie, Grotrian, Sauter, Steinway, etc.

I find the Steingraeber action to be in the "medium" range, and the sound to be substantial and clear (more power than the Bosie, more clarity than the Steinway). That said, I've played pianos I've loved from Steinway, Bosie, Fazioli, Grotrian, and Estonia.

Take the time you need to let the right piano find you. You'll know.

Best of luck to you.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins
PerfectPianoSearch #2657110 06/28/17 05:17 AM
P
P
Originally Posted by PerfectPianoSearch

I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen a Steingraeber & Sohne piano in Australia. It would be great to try one here in Australia, to see if I like the way it feels and sounds.

I'm looking into this for you. I'll let you know what I find.

-DC

Creating the World's Most Technologically Advanced Pianos.

Phoenix D3D Hammer System - Carbon Fibre Soundboards - Award-Winning Bridge Technology - Climate Resistant Keyboards

www.phoenixpianos.co.uk
@PhoenixPianos
PerfectPianoSearch #2657122 06/28/17 06:09 AM
P
P
Hi PPS,

I'm afraid that, although there are some in Australia, none were sent from Bayreuth so there are no records for locations of them. So other than asking on here, it will be difficult to locate any specifically.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! I really hope you find one - they're knockout pianos.

Phoenix D3D Hammer System - Carbon Fibre Soundboards - Award-Winning Bridge Technology - Climate Resistant Keyboards

www.phoenixpianos.co.uk
@PhoenixPianos
ClsscLib #2657326 06/28/17 08:57 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by ClsscLib
I find the Steingraeber action to be in the "medium" range, and the sound to be substantial and clear (more power than the Bosie, more clarity than the Steinway). That said, I've played pianos I've loved from Steinway, Bosie, Fazioli, Grotrian, and Estonia.

Thank you ClsscLib, I appreciate you taking the time to let me know your experience of the Steingraeber action. Do you mean it projects a lot of volume when you say "substantial"? Thanks again smile

After a long search I recently bought my first grand piano, a 1981 Steinway Model O. Even though it's old, with some flaws, I fell in love with its warm and beautiful tone. It's currently interstate undergoing some restoration work.
PhoenixPianos #2657331 06/28/17 09:00 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by PhoenixPianos

Thank you DC, I really appreciate you looking into that. Maybe a trip to the UK or Germany is on the cards then hey wink

PerfectPianoSearch #2657350 06/28/17 10:03 PM

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member

Thank you ClsscLib, I appreciate you taking the time to let me know your experience of the Steingraeber action. Do you mean it projects a lot of volume when you say "substantial"? Thanks again smile

You can get a lot of quality sound out of the Steingraebers I've played without having to try too hard. I've also found that true of Steinways.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins
ClsscLib #2657408 06/29/17 04:57 AM
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I find the Steingraeber action to be in the "medium" range,
I completely agree with this description. Based on the ones I've played, there is nothing odd about the action... it's a normal action, just very, very refined. If I had to pick one from your list, I think I'd say it leans towards the feel of a Bluthner.

and the sound to be substantial and clear (more power than the Bosie, more clarity than the Steinway).
I think the piano has more projection and more dynamic range than a Bosie. One of the qualities that really stood out to me is how even and good the piano sounds through all registers. The top is thrilling. So many pianos die at the top.
Compared to Steinway, I think you can push the piano more without distorting, or "hitting a wall"... where this is the maximum volume with good tone, and there is no more.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
PerfectPianoSearch #2657538 06/29/17 04:39 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by PhoenixPianos

Thank you DC, I really appreciate you looking into that. Maybe a trip to the UK or Germany is on the cards then hey wink

It'd be a pleasure to have you here at our place. Afternoon tea comes as standard, just so you know!

www.phoenixpianos.co.uk
@PhoenixPianos
musicpassion #2657659 06/30/17 02:06 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by musicpassion
[quote=ClsscLib] If I had to pick one from your list, I think I'd say it leans towards the feel of a Bluthner.

Thank you musicpassion and ClsscLib. These are really helpful descriptions and interestingly I really liked the feel of the Bluthners when I tried them a couple months ago. So this is a helpful comparison for me. Thanks again.

PerfectPianoSearch #2657708 06/30/17 08:07 AM
K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by musicpassion
[quote=ClsscLib] If I had to pick one from your list, I think I'd say it leans towards the feel of a Bluthner.

Thank you musicpassion and ClsscLib. These are really helpful descriptions and interestingly I really liked the feel of the Bluthners when I tried them a couple months ago. So this is a helpful comparison for me. Thanks again.

I have to respectfully but strongly disagree with this assessment. I cannot think of any two pianos that feel, sound and respond more differently than Steingraebers and Bluthners. To get a Bluthner to feel like a Steingraeber ( if this was the goal ) you would have to change many things, most importantly the way the sound responds to the touch. Because the two pianos sound so different even if you could magically put the exact same action in both pianos they would feel completely different in the context of playing music.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
Rebuilding & Sales - vintage and used Steinway, Mason & Hamlin
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Baldwin
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
Keith D Kerman #2657914 06/30/17 07:25 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Keith D Kerman
Because the two pianos sound so different even if you could magically put the exact same action in both pianos they would feel completely different in the context of playing music.

Thank your comments Keith, I'll certainly make note of your assessment of the Bluthner and Steingraeber.

PerfectPianoSearch #2657976 07/01/17 02:56 AM
F
F
If Ron Overs is still around (I last spoke with him about 12 years ago), he will give you some good advice (I think he's somewhere in the Olympic Park area of Sydney). It's probably worth a visit to see Wayne Stuart too in Tumut (near Wagga Wagga) and that will give you a feel for what the Steingraeber Phoenix is like.

Fareham

Last edited by Fareham; 07/01/17 02:57 AM.

The English may not like music much, but they love the sound it makes ... Beecham
PerfectPianoSearch #2657977 07/01/17 03:46 AM
S
S
I don't know that I would liken the steingraeber to any of those pianos in sound or feel. For me, steingraeber feels like the german answer to the fazioli, in that is is an attempt at a very modern "perfected" piano. Tons of power, tons of tone. The action for me was substantial yet still fairly light. To me bluthners feels lighter but their tone tends to be much more lyrical and the sound is so immediate that I am sure it affects how the action feels. I might say the bosie action felt closer to the steingraeber but the bosie is so much more reserved in dynamics that when it comes to playing loud and ruckus, the action starts to feel very different when the bosie is making you work for it and the steingraeber is egging you on to go harder.

Keith D Kerman #2658090 07/01/17 02:10 PM
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Keith D Kerman
I have to respectfully but strongly disagree with this assessment. I cannot think of any two pianos that feel, sound and respond more differently than Steingraebers and Bluthners. To get a Bluthner to feel like a Steingraeber ( if this was the goal ) you would have to change many things, most importantly the way the sound responds to the touch. Because the two pianos sound so different even if you could magically put the exact same action in both pianos they would feel completely different in the context of playing music.
They are different pianos, to be sure. But from his list, I think the touch feels more like a Bluthner than it does a Mason and Hamlin or a Bosie. I respect your thoughts and opinions; comparisons are so hard and ultimately quite limiting.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
PerfectPianoSearch #2658518 07/03/17 04:07 AM
K
K
Why not email Steingraeber themselves regarding technical support locally. They might just know of a technician who could take this on for you should you decide on a Steingraeber after auditioning one and purchasing it abroad. The folks there are so helpful, knowledgeable and totally devoid of marketing B/S.

If I were in your place I would certainly try out Stuart. They are phenominal and you might well be able to track down a deal on one especially from a concert hall.

Steingraeber E-272 and Walcker pipe organ

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Counting sixteenth notes
by Prestzie - 10/24/20 02:09 PM
Best D Piano/Controller under 600 US Dollars.
by RudessJR - 10/24/20 01:13 PM
Wrist/forearm rotation
by treefrog - 10/24/20 12:31 PM
Kawai Grand Piano 5’10 - asking $7,000
by Anna B. - 10/24/20 12:00 PM
Used Yamaha vs brand new Kawai?
by danlightbulb - 10/24/20 08:52 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,381
Posts3,016,641
Members99,006
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission