2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
37 members (Burkhard, busa, 80k, Carey, CraiginNZ, Bebe1980, Deltajockey, David B, Bett, 6 invisible), 4,553 guests, and 733 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
G
Originally Posted by Albunea
[quote=gingko2]

bennevis has forgotten to tell us this time about his learning as a student, picking up all the books in the school library and reading through them. If you ask me, I'd say bennevis is best of all at your First Teacher's method (keep sailing ahead!). Am I wrong, bennevis?

Oh, forgot this.

Yes, that is a different activity. It's reading music, not practicing and learning it for technical and musical proficiency.

It's great to do both. They are different skills which complement each other. (However, I think the nitty-gritty practicing makes "reading" increasingly difficult music possible.)

You can spend all your piano time reading music. That's a choice and you should be able to find a teacher who will work with you on this!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hailun HG 178, Charles Walter 1500, Kawai CA63
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by gingko2

My problem with my previous teacher is that she had me in "performing mode" too early-- "the cart before the horse." I couldn't do it because I didn't spend enough time in the learning phase.

Have you considered you were more ready to learn now because of what you learnt with your previous teacher? I think some students have it difficult to do a run through. You can because you learnt to.

That paragraph I quoted now is very interesting. Haven't we said that performers chunk? laugh I mean, I consider myself in learning mode. Should I be chunking in learner mode or is chunking for performance?

A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

Yes, that is a different activity. It's reading music, not practicing and learning it for technical and musical proficiency.

Ok, on this I have to give in. I accepted playing some stretch pieces that force me to chunk some because I considered my technique was not improving accordingly. So maybe chunking helps technique?

G
G

My problem with my previous teacher is that she had me in "performing mode" too early-- "the cart before the horse." I couldn't do it because I didn't spend enough time in the learning phase.

Have you considered you were more ready to learn now because of what you learnt with your previous teacher? I think some students have it difficult to do a run through. You can because you learnt to.

That paragraph I quoted now is very interesting. Haven't we said that performers chunk? laugh I mean, I consider myself in learning mode. Should I be chunking in learner mode or is chunking for performance?

No, I was frustrated with my previous teacher and my playing. Thought about quitting again. Every piece we worked on, too fast, felt like another piece lost (and again, my musical standards aren't THAT high). It was difficult because I really liked her as a person.

Conversely, because of learning to chunk, I READ music better than before. Chunking does develop technique.

Chunk at the initial learning and any time after that when something is not easy.

Again, it's fine to spend your piano time reading music! Read music like you'd read a text. You should be able to find a teacher who will work with you.

And, as you just posted, with a stretch piece, chunking is an efficient tool.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
gingko2, I can understand your first teacher rushed you too much and you are now enjoying your present pace. Are you learning pieces that you can read easily or stretch pieces?

Learning stretch pieces frustrates me some... frown

I think the general learning style in Spain is with Stretch pieces. When I had just bought my piano I went to a group class (4 people) one day. Before I entered the class, and not having talked much, the boss told me "You are a self-learner, aren't you?" LOL I had not started learning (maybe one month or so) but for some reason she thought I wouldn't stay. She was right. I didn't stay. I've told my present teacher that I'll give it a try for a year (he knows his style is not the style I've been learning by myself). I am a difficult student. laugh

Last edited by Albunea; 07/02/17 05:18 PM.
G
G
gingko2, I can understand your first teacher rushed you too much and you are now enjoying your present pace. Are you learning pieces that you can read easily or stretch pieces?

Learning stretch pieces frustrates me some... frown

I think the general learning style in Spain is with Stretch pieces.

We do both. It's good to have different types of "practice." I work on one or two stretch pieces at a time, one or two less difficult pieces, and the "40 piece challenge," usually easy pieces and mostly just past reading without too many errors.

I think doing lots of stretch pieces is very common. Too many stretch pieces can be very discouraging, though some people thrive on them. You may ask your teacher that you do only one stretch piece at a time and spend more time practicing reading with easier pieces.

I'll leave it as Whizbang said at the beginning: Porque no los dos?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
You may ask your teacher that you do only one stretch piece at a time and spend more time practicing reading with easier pieces.

I'm not sure only one stretch piece is a good idea, because I just can't keep at the same piece for long or I make more and more mistakes, and I'll feel compelled to practice whatever it is that he tells me to. I'll keep with my books as well, and he encouraged me to, but by myself.

¿Por qué no los dos? Sí, imagino que es mejor utilizar los dos métodos. laugh smile

Last edited by Albunea; 07/02/17 05:30 PM. Reason: un poco de español
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

I love playing things all the way through. But I don't think of that as "practice" or "learning" -- I call that rehearsal, or just plain fun.

I learn in "chunks" -- but the important thing is to get the chunk boundaries right. Music consists of phrases. Each chunk should consist of a phrase or two, maybe in some cases three, plus the first note of the next chunk. You want to start at a natural phrase beginning, and end just after the end of a phrase.

The little bit of overlap works wonders when it's time to put the whole thing together.

Each chunk entry point gives you a recovery point where you can jump back in if you goof up while playing. That's one reason why you want to pick natural phrase in-points.

Once I can play something all the way through, I get lazy and just do it, and forget the chunks.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G

LOL Gary. I am a teacher myself (not piano, of course). I pity my piano teacher because I can imagine how bored he is… but I am sure he is going to be bored with my playing no matter if I learn it as a whole or in chunks. laugh

Any good teacher will be pleased about anything that speeds up the learning process, as you yourself would be.

Chunking, if you do it right, will speed up your learning. That's win for you, a win for your teacher.

It helps my slowest students, the ones who struggle the most, but it also completely changes the playing of my best students.

The problem is that most people don't do something right for the first time until doing it wrong five, or 10, or 50 times. That's the main obstacle in learning anything.

Last edited by Gary D.; 07/03/17 06:04 AM.
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by JohnSprung

I love playing things all the way through. But I don't think of that as "practice" or "learning" -- I call that rehearsal, or just plain fun.

I learn in "chunks" -- but the important thing is to get the chunk boundaries right. Music consists of phrases. Each chunk should consist of a phrase or two, maybe in some cases three, plus the first note of the next chunk. You want to start at a natural phrase beginning, and end just after the end of a phrase.

The little bit of overlap works wonders when it's time to put the whole thing together.

Each chunk entry point gives you a recovery point where you can jump back in if you goof up while playing. That's one reason why you want to pick natural phrase in-points.

Once I can play something all the way through, I get lazy and just do it, and forget the chunks.

John, what you describe is rock solid.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JohnSprung

Usually, I call it goofing off, but it is more focused on actual playing than hanging out in forums.

Learner
A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
Thank you for the comments. smile

I don't have more arguments right now, but can leave a thread that deals with the topic of chunking: Forum Thread

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Happy 4th!
Happy 4th of July
Happy 4th!
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Chord help
by Moo :) - 07/05/22 02:18 AM
Yamaha U3 or equivalent upright
by Tom Ryshka - 07/05/22 01:35 AM
A comparison of two very different pianos!
by Joseph Fleetwood - 07/04/22 02:17 PM
Home Studio Recordings on Bosendorfer 225
by James Gordon - 07/04/22 01:39 PM
Looking for good online piano course for beginner
by mwsheeler - 07/04/22 12:12 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,804
Posts3,205,429
Members105,714
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission