2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
75 members (Bill McKaig,RPT, Beowulf, 36251, achoo42, AaronSF, AZNpiano, 8ude, beet31425, 20 invisible), 541 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Can't play in front of others: probable reason.
SwissMS #2657582 06/29/17 07:14 PM
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by SwissMS
I almost always play better at home than in a recital or exam.

There are two components to that. Some of it is the stage fright that is the subject of this thread, and some is just that you're playing on an unfamiliar instrument. You might also not play as well even if the exam room piano were moved next to your piano at home.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
PianoStartsAt33 #2657584 06/29/17 07:30 PM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
As much a I hate this advice myself...slow down.

I hate playing in front of people too. I practice well and sometimes play poorly during lesson. When I really force myself to slow down (I don't know why a few BPM feels like it takes so much effort), everything goes so much better. And it's not really *that* slow.

Joe Garfield #2657592 06/29/17 08:18 PM
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Joe Garfield
When I really force myself to slow down (I don't know why a few BPM feels like it takes so much effort), everything goes so much better.

I always make sure that for any piece I intend to perform, I can play it perfectly at least 10% (usually I get it to 20%) faster at home than I intend to perform it at.

Most often, when nerves (or excitement - often it's difficult to separate the two) get to me, I play faster than I intended, so that practicing strategy gives me a degree of 'safety'. Anyone who regularly attends classical piano recitals sees the same 'phenomenon' even from seasoned concert pianists, if they have studio recordings of the same pieces - their live performances are often faster in the fast pieces, sometimes markedly so. That also gives their performances an extra sense of risk-taking and an 'edge' that are absent from their commercial studio recordings, which is why I tend to prefer their live performances, even if they aren't note-perfect.

I like to think that when I'm performing, I'm giving the audience something 'extra' of myself that I couldn't do playing the same music in the privacy of my home with no audience - even if it doesn't always come off in the heat of the moment.......

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
PianoStartsAt33 #2657596 06/29/17 08:40 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Learning to play piano and learning to perform are separate activities. I came to piano as an experienced amateur performer. I was shocked how much more concentration piano required as compared to my other instruments: flute and pennywhistle. My first clue that even a small intrusion during practice, such as a fire engine siren going by, caused me to make a lot of mistakes.

I went to my local music group ready to perform or so I thought. I prepared in a similar way to my other instruments. To my horror, I crashed and burned. It was a complete train wreck. Two months later, similar train wreck. It became clear that I underestimated how much more concentration I needed for piano vs. flute or pennywhistle.

The idea to do easier pieces is a good one. While there are relaxation techniques that can help a new pianist a great deal, there remains the skill requirement, the practice requirement.

For those reading along, there are a tiny percentage, like 2% or 3% that are truly terrified of performing. For those few it may be a bad idea. For most of the rest, 80% to 90% is my guess, nerves have to be overcome. Many need double to quadruple the prep time for a performance piece vs. play for the teacher level.

bennevis #2657624 06/29/17 10:48 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis
I always make sure that for any piece I intend to perform, I can play it perfectly at least 10% (usually I get it to 20%) faster at home than I intend to perform it at.

My problem with that approach is that when I can play it 10% or 20% faster then that becomes my new performance tempo. I had to practice with the metronome to force myself to slow down.

PianoStartsAt33 #2657702 06/30/17 07:45 AM
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Someone told me that recording your performance, even when you're all alone in a room, is greatly helpful in this situation.

PianoStartsAt33 #2657880 06/30/17 04:42 PM
M
M
Not that I am a great performer, but I do perform 6-8 times a year in various adult recitals. Here is my observations:

1. As someone already mentioned, learning a piece and performing a piece are very different. Playing from memory is another different story.

2. Just because I play a piece successfully the first time, it does not mean it will go as well the second time I perform the same piece 1-2 weeks later. Recently I learned a hard lesson about this. Very frustrating....

3. Recording ourselves at home really helps - it helps the nerves but it also helps listening to (and watching) our own playing afterwards. I am often surprised by what I hear and see. I use iPhone camera, and it works just fine. Now I have a habit of recording myself the night before the actual performance day. This gives me a good record for my own musical journey. If live performance does not go as well, I can go back to the video and remind myself I had some good moments with the piece. I sometimes send the recording to my friends who can not come to the performance. They are not perfect but always well received by friends.

4. In my own situation, I do my best when I am a little "edgy" but not freaked out. The most recent performance I was too relaxed then I had memory slips (ugh).

Finally, it does get better the more I do it - but I am still nervous.

PianoStartsAt33 #2657917 06/30/17 07:35 PM
Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber

I also have the problem of making mistakes when I am playing for my teacher. I have only been taking lessons from her for a couple of months, so we don't know each other very well. But it is very frustrating to play pieces at home with no mistakes (that I am aware of), and then when I start to play for her, I make mistakes, even on very simple parts. Finally one day I just stopped playing and said, "I don't know why this happens! It isn't as though you yell at me, but I still get nervous when I play for you!" She looked at me with a perfectly straight face and said, "Yes, and it isn't as though I beat you."

I started to laugh, and said, "Yeah, it's not like you yell at me AND beat me!" We were both laughing and it kind of broke the ice. She then said that the same thing happens with all of her students and not to worry about it. She said, "It doesn't have to be perfect. I can tell that you've practiced. Play it and let's just see how it goes."

Since then I have been SLIGHTLY better about not getting so nervous at lessons. It isn't great, but it is better than it was.

However, I have the same problem recording to USB. I wanted to start recording pieces for the 40 Pieces a Year Club and it took more than 20 tries to get a halfway decent recording to upload to SoundCloud (there were still 2 mistakes in a very simple little piece). I posted it, but later went back and edited my post so that the link to SoundCloud was no longer in the post--because I didn't want anyone to hear it. One person heard it before I deleted the link (and made a kind comment, which I appreciated), and now another person wants the link back, so I am considering putting up the link again, mistakes and all, BUT it is going to be difficult to do. And I don't think trying to make a new recording will help.

Oh, well. I ordered the book that was recommended. It sounds like an interesting book.

Roland LX-7
Started lessons in April, 2017
In progress: Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course: Lesson-Theory-Technic: Level 2 | Fundamentals of Piano Theory - Level 2 | Hanon: The Virtuoso Pianist in 60 Exercises
Rosewood17 #2657958 07/01/17 01:03 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rosewood17

However, I have the same problem recording to USB. I wanted to start recording pieces for the 40 Pieces a Year Club and it took more than 20 tries to get a halfway decent recording to upload to SoundCloud (there were still 2 mistakes in a very simple little piece).

That's perfectly normal too. It's exactly what I was refering to as "red dot syndrome" above - i.e. seeing that red dot and knowing that it's recording is enough to make you nervous. Recording yourself often does help with that and it gets easier over time.

Qazsedcft #2657979 07/01/17 03:58 AM
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
Originally Posted by Rosewood17

However, I have the same problem recording to USB. I wanted to start recording pieces for the 40 Pieces a Year Club and it took more than 20 tries to get a halfway decent recording to upload to SoundCloud (there were still 2 mistakes in a very simple little piece).

That's perfectly normal too. It's exactly what I was refering to as "red dot syndrome" above - i.e. seeing that red dot and knowing that it's recording is enough to make you nervous. Recording yourself often does help with that and it gets easier over time.

It should be somehow rebuilt into "Pale blue dot syndrome" - when you play as if all the probable audience is 3.7 billion miles away from you))

[Linked Image]

Last edited by PianoStartsAt33; 07/01/17 03:58 AM.

Roland LX706

If you wonder what my happen if you start learning piano as an adult (at the age of 33, for example) - subscribe my channel and let's find this out together:)
YoutubeChannel
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Eleanor Sokoloff RIP
by pianoloverus - 07/13/20 04:15 PM
Winter NAMM 2021 - Proceed or Cancel?
by PianoManChuck - 07/13/20 03:55 PM
Roland A-88mk2 - clunky black keys?
by Karnevil - 07/13/20 01:53 PM
PianoLink International Amateur Competition
by SiFi - 07/13/20 01:17 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,235
Posts2,980,269
Members97,760
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission