2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Spring Into Sound Sale
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
69 members (babama, anotherscott, barbaram, Beowulf, 24000rpm, 36251, AndyOnThePiano, Beemer, 14 invisible), 531 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
When connecting my Casio PX-5S to the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 USB sound card, I can play with the headphones connected to the Direct Monitoring output on the Focusrite, instead of using the headphones output on the Casio.

Apart from getting a better sound, shouldn't I be able to trigger a virtual instrument at the same time, and thus mix the internal voices of the PX-5S with a virtual piano? Will latency be a problem, that is, more latency on the software piano, than the PX-5S own pianos?

Also, can I use some EQ or other effects I will acquire from software vendors, or available for free? The sound engine of the PX-5S is powerful and versatile, but I would like to know if I have this other options.

I know I can just try it, but I don't have two mono cables right now, only one, though I will probably get another one in a few days, or after the weekend. I'm curious if this is possible, and if other users here, have tried something like this. I know Peterws has been mixing Pianoteq with his DP's internal pianos, Peterws, how did you do it, and how did it turn out?

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
If you want to control a virtual instrument, you need a MIDI or a direct USB link to the PX-5S.

About mixing, this depends of the availability of Line-in plugs on your Casio. If you gave not, you can already mix signal on the PC (virtual instrument and Focusrite).

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I'm using virtual instruments (alone) all the time, through USB over MIDI. I can connect the PX-5S straight to the Focusrite, from the Line Out R L/Mono to the inputs of the Focusrite, two mono cables. This picture from Audio Fanzine, shows the connections of the PX-5S very well.

http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/casio-px-5s-1567235.jpg

Hoping Frank will forgive me for not hosting a picture on the PW server, but hopefully Audio Fanzine will not remove the picture or relocate it! Besides, the picture is in high resolution, so it's possible to zoom in on it to see the connections clearly.

What I'm getting at, is the connections are not a problem, the PX-5S has all the connections at least I can think of. It's what happens in the computer and the final mix, that is the question.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
J
J
I've got one of these little mixers and they are just perfect for the job
http://m.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Mixers/Analog-Mixers/502/p/P0576
Has 2 stereo inputs plus a third mono multi input (say for a mic).
It has stereo line outs plus headphone out.
I use it for mixing combinations of inbuilt keyboard sounds plus midi backing and iOS piano apps.
A big advantage is having the volume mixing pots easy to adjust.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
It sounds to me like the question is: Does the Scarlett 2i4 allow dual inputs: 1 from PC/USB, and 1 from DP Line Out? I would think so with the 2i4.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
I've not been on this forum in ages, but right off I see I can answer this question.

If you are using the 2i4 interface then because it came bundled with a copy of Pro Tools I assume you are using PT to do the recording. I am much more foamier with Apple's "Logic" but the two are similar.

In your DAW (PT, Logic, whatever..) open a stereo audio track, or one mono track if you prefer. ALSO open a midi track. As you record you should be recording BOTH the audio from the keyboard AND the midi performance data.

You can assign a virtual instrument to the midi track, Pick anything you like. You can even change it after you are finished recording

To hear what you were writing about above you want to play a mix of the virtual instrument and the live audio in the headphones. Just route the tracks using the virtual mixer in the DAW. I think currently you were monitoring the raw audio not the mix.

Latency can be an issue it yto put them into the headphones rather then let the audio interface provide the headphone feed. The trick is to reduce the buffer size in your DAW, make it small enough and you don't notice. But if you can't reduce the latency, just go back to listening to the raw audio and later you can play back the audio and midi tracks and listen to the mix. If you don't like it you can change the virtual instrument. You can even wind it back and record more tracks, maybe add a bass line accompaniment?

Some body suggested using an audio mixer. Never do that because it "bakes in" the mix. Better to keep each performance on it's own parallel track so you have the ability to go back and change stuff.

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by ChrisA
...I am much more foamier with Apple's "Logic" but the two are similar...
Chummy with a favorite brew in hand sort of thing?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ChrisA
I've not been on this forum in ages...

Good to see you again here Chris! I hope you can stick around!

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
ChrisA, I will probably record all MIDI data on the PX-5S, and then reroute the resulting MIDI files through VSTis. In Reaper, since Pro Tools | First is unusable, at least on my computer. It freezes, crashes, takes forever to respond, and seems to be able to do everything, except what I want it to do.

Same goes for Ableton Live 9 Lite, it was fine for a few weeks, then suddenly started crashing every time, and for some time I thought it had wrecked my computer. Welcome back to the forum, an excellent first post after all these years.

Actually, I wasn't only thinking about recording, also practising with the help of a DAW and some cool effects I can find to tweak the sound. I'll get that extra mono cable and get down on experimenting a little with mixing, and playing, with the Focusrite 2i4 as the center. Will report how it works out for me.

Me on YouTube

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Dealer Reduction?
by brdwyguy - 04/11/21 11:55 AM
Extra notes on old Sohmer
by TimM_980 - 04/11/21 11:46 AM
[Poll] Which exercise book do you do and why?
by meghdad - 04/11/21 10:23 AM
Recording Acoustic Piano
by JeffM123 - 04/11/21 10:14 AM
Budget Stage/portable Piano
by Amy H - 04/11/21 09:11 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,221
Posts3,081,083
Members101,152
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission