2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
36 registered members (Charles Cohen, AZNpiano, dima5222, Boboulus, BachToTheFuture, chopinetto, DionG, djvu10, 8 invisible), 310 guests, and 409 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Lost a Job #2657330 06/28/17 08:59 PM
Arghhh Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Needing to vent, and appreciating the anonymity of these forums.

The past three years I've been the accompanist for the opera chorus rehearsals for the opera company in my city. It was one of the first jobs I got after graduating and moving to a new city. I was proud of having the job, partially because it was for professionals. The music was challenging, but beautiful. All my other work is for students, and I don't see how that will change. I found out today that I will not get the contract for next year. The reason given was, "The company has hired another accompanist. The person has a vast amount of experience in opera".

The company didn't even tell me. I knew a decision was coming, but they never got back to me after the decision had been made. I had to contact the chorus director to find out. What I'd like to say in response to her is, "I'm really sorry to hear that. I have enjoyed working with you as director because you created a stress-free place to work even when I know I have under-performed. Because it was a challenge at times and I refuse to be inadequate, I had set up lessons this summer to improve on my orchestral reduction playing, but I guess I'll focus on something else now."

Probably shouldn't respond that way though...

It's been a couple years since I've lost a gig. I hate not being good enough.
Arghhh, *sniff*

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods, and more!
Re: Lost a Job [Re: Arghhh] #2657336 06/28/17 09:27 PM
hreichgott Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Arghhh indeed! So sorry to hear that frown

Heather W. Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Beethoven - Diabelli Variations Op. 120
Beethoven/Liszt - Symphony no. 7
Tommy (whole show)

I love Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and new music
Re: Lost a Job [Re: Arghhh] #2657363 06/28/17 11:07 PM
rocket88 Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Sorry this happened, but remember music business rule #1: "Don't burn your bridges"...the music world is tiny...Getting fired is an unfortunate part of the it. You never know what will come next. Bite your lip, and, Again, sorry.

Piano teacher.
Re: Lost a Job [Re: Arghhh] #2657459 06/29/17 09:14 AM
SonatainfSharp Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sorry to hear this, but another opportunity will present itself (cliche, but usually true).

The other person was probably simply cheaper; unlikely more experienced or better at the job than you.

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!
Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony [2017]
Re: Lost a Job [Re: SonatainfSharp] #2657460 06/29/17 09:16 AM
rocket88 Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SonatainfSharp
Sorry to hear this, but another opportunity will present itself (cliche, but usually true).

The other person was probably simply cheaper; unlikely more experienced or better at the job than you.

Or there was politics involved.

Piano teacher.
Re: Lost a Job [Re: Arghhh] #2657504 06/29/17 12:44 PM
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Use the experience as a learning tool. Work hard and always seek ways to improve!

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
Re: Lost a Job [Re: Pogorelich.] #2657641 06/29/17 11:56 PM
Arghhh Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Use the experience as a learning tool. Work hard and always seek ways to improve!

I usually spend a few days being upset by these types of things and then work towards doing better the next time. Sometimes I get tired of what feels like a difficult uphill climb. Back when the chorus director thought I still had the job, she said we should meet because there were some things she thought I could do to help the chorus out more in rehearsals. Not sure if it's appropriate to ask her what those things were now.

Re: Lost a Job [Re: Arghhh] #2657649 06/30/17 12:52 AM
SiFi Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Arghhh
" . . . I have enjoyed working with you as director because you created a stress-free place to work even when I know I have under-performed."

So sorry to hear about your predicament. I hate when companies behave badly like this, especially when they're going to let someone go.

I was interested to see how honest you were in admitting that you had under-performed. I'd love to know what your challenges were -- sight-reading, technical limitations, insufficient time to prepare, interpersonal issues with management, . . . ?

If you're interested and on Facebook, there's a terrific group called the "Collaborative Pianists Community". It's a forum where people such as yourself (I'm making some assumptions, of course) share stories, anecdotes, questions, advice, and occasionally job listings. The founder and administrator is an awesome woman named Nicole DiPaolo. You might want to join and take a look at some of the postings. Or IM me with your FB name and I'll nominate you.

Good luck mate. Music and money have the same initials, same number of syllables, and same number of letters. That, unfortunately, is where the connection usually ends. frown

SRF
Re: Lost a Job [Re: Arghhh] #2657673 06/30/17 04:30 AM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.

I usually spend a few days being upset by these types of things and then work towards doing better the next time. Sometimes I get tired of what feels like a difficult uphill climb. Back when the chorus director thought I still had the job, she said we should meet because there were some things she thought I could do to help the chorus out more in rehearsals. Not sure if it's appropriate to ask her what those things were now.

Hi Arghhhh
So sorry to hear of your experience! I can't offer any advice from a musical perspective, but from a business one. I would suggest that you continue to take the lessons this summer, and also meet with the choral director. Let her know that you are taking the classes and interested in her suggestions; you never know when another opportunity will come up and you want your's to be one name that the chorus director remembers in a positive way.

.. at east that has been my experience in business. I always remember those that wanted to improve and took the steps to do that.

Re: Lost a Job [Re: Arghhh] #2657691 06/30/17 07:01 AM
ClsscLib Offline

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Dogperson, that's how I think about situations like this.

Very sorry this happened, Arghhh.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins
Re: Lost a Job [Re: Arghhh] #2657776 06/30/17 12:01 PM
AJB Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Ask if you can sit in to learn from their new accompanist. The new person may not work out, or may not like it, or may need holiday / illness cover, or might have contacts you can use.

Currently playing 2017 C212 with carbon fibre soundboard, WNG action. Working on Bach, Beethoven, Grieg mainly.
Re: Lost a Job [Re: SiFi] #2657859 06/30/17 03:44 PM
Arghhh Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SiFi
" . . . I have enjoyed working with you as director because you created a stress-free place to work even when I know I have under-performed."

So sorry to hear about your predicament. I hate when companies behave badly like this, especially when they're going to let someone go.

I was interested to see how honest you were in admitting that you had under-performed. I'd love to know what your challenges were -- sight-reading, technical limitations, insufficient time to prepare, interpersonal issues with management, . . . ?

If you're interested and on Facebook, there's a terrific group called the "Collaborative Pianists Community". It's a forum where people such as yourself (I'm making some assumptions, of course) share stories, anecdotes, questions, advice, and occasionally job listings. The founder and administrator is an awesome woman named Nicole DiPaolo. You might want to join and take a look at some of the postings. Or IM me with your FB name and I'll nominate you.

Good luck mate. Music and money have the same initials, same number of syllables, and same number of letters. That, unfortunately, is where the connection usually ends. frown

Thanks for the notice about the Facebook group. I'very been a member for a while and agree it's a great group to be part of. I recently discovered a couple of local colleagues are members of the group, which made me a little leery of posting about my job loss there.

My specific challenges -this year there were two difficult scores. The last one was Turandot which had a considerable chorus part for which I had three weeks to learn. There were some sections that I could not manage to get up to speed -fast octaves in both hands that even with leaving out notes I couldn't ever perform it in rehearsal. I know it's an orchestra reduction so I could leave out notes, but in that case playing single notes wouldn't be helpful to bring across the character and orchestral sound. And I would have had to work out a fingering then. Another time I missed practicing a chorus bit despite having gone through the score a couple times. So I got to rehearsal and suddenly had to sight read the orchestra music plus add in the chorus parts. Reading open vocal score is still challenging.

Re: Lost a Job [Re: dogperson] #2657863 06/30/17 03:54 PM
Arghhh Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson

Hi Arghhhh
So sorry to hear of your experience! I can't offer any advice from a musical perspective, but from a business one. I would suggest that you continue to take the lessons this summer, and also meet with the choral director. Let her know that you are taking the classes and interested in her suggestions; you never know when another opportunity will come up and you want your's to be one name that the chorus director remembers in a positive way.

.. at east that has been my experience in business. I always remember those that wanted to improve and took the steps to do that.

Thanks dog person. I will ask the chorus director if she has any input for me, and I took my first summer lesson yesterday.

AJB - I don't think I could bring myself to go sit in at the next rehearsals to see what the other pianist does differently. It would be awkward sitting there with the chorus members and admitting I wasn't good enough.

Re: Lost a Job [Re: Arghhh] #2657937 06/30/17 09:52 PM
J
jdw Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J

AJB - I don't think I could bring myself to go sit in at the next rehearsals to see what the other pianist does differently. It would be awkward sitting there with the chorus members and admitting I wasn't good enough.

I agree, I can see that it would be awkward. Plus, I don't think you want to give them the impression that you have nothing better to do than sit around there for free! If they want you there, they pay you; otherwise, surely you have other fish to fry! IMO your time would be better spent on your own priorities for developing your skills.

1989 Baldwin R

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Resonance piano-Inspired by the music of Nils Frahm FREE
by newer player - 04/07/20 11:30 PM
Kurzweil PC88mx Repair Help
by wondertwins - 04/07/20 09:17 PM
What is your ranking of the piano composers?
by achoo42 - 04/07/20 08:10 PM
Roland DP603 for my 50th ...
by TheophilusCarter - 04/07/20 07:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,981
Posts2,942,906
Members96,529
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission