2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (1957, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 11 invisible), 1,898 guests, and 338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
OP Offline
I
Can you guys rank the movements from hardest to easiest. I got to play one of them for a performance

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
G. Henle publishers ranks the concerto as "Difficult" (7/8 out of a possible 9) - but with no assessment of individual movements by difficulty.

Difficulty can be very subjective, depending on the strengths and weaknesses of a particular pianist.

You need to make this determination by yourself - with the guidance of your teacher.

If I had to perform a single movement of the concerto - and had concerns about difficulty - I'd probably consider the shortest (or slowest) movement first. smile

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Being as objective as I can, I would say 1 is definitely the easiest as far as playing all the notes is concerned. 2 and 3 have very different challenges, but I think it's probably easier to barrel your way through 3 than to finely execute the delicate but fiendishly difficult leggiero figurations of the scherzo. So for me, it would be 2, 3, 1 in descending order of difficulty.

However, that's my personal view, after having learned but not performed the piece. Per Carey's point, others might come up with a different ordering based on subjective experience. I do think most would agree that the first movement is the easiest, but make sure you're in sync with your teacher on your selection (assuming you have a teacher smile ).

SRF
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Agreeing with the subjectivity/personal skills/experience comments, I feel that the first movement is the easiest of the three. The first movement is not without its challenges, but much of it "lies well under the hand" as they say.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
from experience: 2nd movement, very tricky and exposed, arpeggios, jumps. scales, it all seems basic, it is, but ye gods, they're awful.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
from experience: 2nd movement, very tricky and exposed, arpeggios, jumps. scales, it all seems basic, it is, but ye gods, they're awful.

... but isn't it a pure delight (when played well!)?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD

... but isn't it a pure delight (when played well!)?

It really is! I always marvel at how the jaunty second theme manages to teeter on the brink of triviality but never topples over. One of Camile's most delicious concepts.

SRF
B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B

Totally agree. The first movement is quite pianistic, and once you're past the opening cadenza, it's fun to play. The second movement is a nightmare not just because of the aforementioned scales, but because there's almost no room for rubato, so you're stuck playing some incredibly fast scales strictly in tempo. The third movement is manageable and the LH stuff isn't as bad as it looks.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I once tried the Bizet-solo version, there the 2nd movement is just a little easier, alas, the rest is harder...

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by SiFi
I always marvel at how the jaunty second theme manages to teeter on the brink of triviality but never topples over. One of Camile's most delicious concepts.

Delicious indeed, one of his best concerto movements.

Yet you presumably know which Chopin piece inspired Saint-Saëns? It was one of his favourites, though IIRC Arthur Rubinstein thought he played it too fast.

Jason
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by argerichfan
I always marvel at how the jaunty second theme manages to teeter on the brink of triviality but never topples over. One of Camile's most delicious concepts.

Delicious indeed, one of his best concerto movements.

Yet you presumably know which Chopin piece inspired Saint-Saëns? It was one of his favourites, though IIRC Arthur Rubinstein thought he played it too fast.

Has to be the E major Scherzo?

SRF
I
OP Offline
I
Thank you guys. Your input is very useful.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

Indeed!

Saint-Saëns played the premiere of all of his piano concertos, who conducted him in the G minor?

We know the burly Russian guy. wink

Jason
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by argerichfan

Indeed!

Saint-Saëns played the premiere of all of his piano concertos, who conducted him in the G minor?

We know the burly Russian guy. wink

Back in the days when one purchased vinyl records with sometimes voluminous program notes on the back of the sleeve, I remember reading that he was commissioned to write the concerto in a period of only a month or so, which meant he had very little time to learn the piano part. Afterwards, Saint-Saens himself admitted that he didn't play it well, which is admirably honest but not surprising. I'm sure the scherzo gave him the most problems.

As to who conducted the premiere, you gave way too much away with your clue. Anton Rubinstein would be my rather confident guess. Might have been better if they had switched roles, given Rubinstein's phenomenal prowess as a pianist. Wouldn't you agree?

SRF
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Rubinstein asked Saint-saens to program a concert where he could make his Paris conducting debut, it happened that the concert hall was only available in 3 weeks time, so Saint-Saens started to write a concerto for himself as the soloist and Rubinstein as the conductor. He composed it apparently in 17 days, leaving him 5 days to practise, that is not enough, not even for Rubinstein,haha. I have the slightest idea that Saint-Saens would have been the better pianist by the way.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
The stories and recordings of Saint-seans certainly indicate he was a bit of a freak pianist in the best possible sense.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Sorry to be late in reply.

Afterwards, Saint-Saens himself admitted that he didn't play it well, which is admirably honest but not surprising. I'm sure the scherzo gave him the most problems.

Where have you read this? There is no indication that S-S ever had a problem with playing his piano music, certainly the scherzo is much easier than the Opus 52 Etudes, THEY are difficult. But the guy could play anything, and I suspect any problems in the G minor concerto would have been ensemble related.

As to who conducted the premiere, you gave way too much away with your clue. Anton Rubinstein would be my rather confident guess. Might have been better if they had switched roles, given Rubinstein's phenomenal prowess as a pianist. Wouldn't you agree?

Yes and no. The only evidence we have is hearsay. (Well, a few piano rolls, doesn't tell us anything in particular.) Rubinstein was reportedly this HUGE dominating figure that assaulted the piano in a way that we can barely appreciate these days. His concertos were written to showcase that, and it is not surprising that they fell out of favour after his passing. We still get the D minor, but it's sort of like the commemorative party without the star. Quite a contrast with the Rachmaninov concertos, eh?

But the S-S concertos are very different, and if the musical value is miles and miles ahead of Rubinstein's, I don't think he would have played them well.

Jason
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Over the last couple of days I have been listening to Saint-Saens' two piano trios. They are delightful music and the piano parts, some of which look quite straightforward on the page, are, on the contrary, very challenging.They are very refreshing; give them a listen!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission