Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Modern Piano Moving
Modern Piano Moving
(ad)
Virtual Sheet Music
Download Sheet Music Instantly
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Sheet Music...
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
Who's Online Now
103 registered members (AlanB, ando, alfredo capurso, accordeur, AZ_Astro, amad23, 29 invisible), 2,013 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2656081 - Yesterday at 03:30 PM sustain pedal problem on Kawai MP11  
drpharmer Online happy
drpharmer  Online Happy

Hi,

I am having a problem with the sustain pedal on this piano. It is probably because I am not familiar with all the buttons and adjustment options. I just turn it on and play. I do really like the action.

When I am playing a bop style tune (short notes) every once in a while in the piece I have to use the pedal. Sometimes, after I use the pedal, the following notes are sustaining slightly (not completely), which seems to clear if I push down all the way on the pedal. Is this normal? Or is something wrong? Is there an option somewhere I can turn this off?

I read the manual, but I have to admit my eyes glazed over. I tried the pedal from my Yamaha CP5, but that one just sustains even after I release the note, so something between that pedal and the MP11 is not compatible.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

#2656088 - Yesterday at 04:01 PM Re: sustain pedal problem on Kawai MP11 [Re: drpharmer]  
pianomike Offline
pianomike  Offline

Hi drphamer, I'm not sure what your pedal is doing but when I first got my MP11 I accidently put the three cords in the wrong order in the back and the pedals didn't work right till I put them in the right order.

#2656094 - Yesterday at 04:11 PM Re: sustain pedal problem on Kawai MP11 [Re: drpharmer]  
Doug M. Offline
Doug M.  Offline

Cheshire, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by drpharmer
Hi,

I am having a problem with the sustain pedal on this piano. It is probably because I am not familiar with all the buttons and adjustment options. I just turn it on and play. I do really like the action.

When I am playing a bop style tune (short notes) every once in a while in the piece I have to use the pedal. Sometimes, after I use the pedal, the following notes are sustaining slightly (not completely), which seems to clear if I push down all the way on the pedal. Is this normal? Or is something wrong? Is there an option somewhere I can turn this off?

I read the manual, but I have to admit my eyes glazed over. I tried the pedal from my Yamaha CP5, but that one just sustains even after I release the note, so something between that pedal and the MP11 is not compatible.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

So, you're half pedaling (the damper pedal is only partially pressed down) but when you lift the pedal from half damper position, the half damper sustain remains for a period...Is this correct?

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7; Past - Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
#2656147 - Yesterday at 08:24 PM Re: sustain pedal problem on Kawai MP11 [Re: Doug M.]  
drpharmer Online happy
drpharmer  Online Happy

Sorry but I don't know exactly how a half pedal should work.

In this case, even after I lift off the pedal the next notes I play still sustain longer than they should. If this is how a half pedal works is there a way to disable it?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2656187 - 12 hours ago Re: sustain pedal problem on Kawai MP11 [Re: drpharmer]  
Gombessa Offline
500 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Are you using the included 3-pedal unit, or a 3rd party pedal? In my experience, third party pedals don't always work well with the MP11.

IIRC, there are two areas in the menu where pedal settings reside--in the EDIT menu, and also in the SYSTEM menu. One of these has a right pedal calibration routine, which I would recommend you try. It could very well be that your pedal's voltage stays just higher than nominal when off, and the MP11 is reading that as being slightly on.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50 || Kawai MP11
#2656188 - 12 hours ago Re: sustain pedal problem on Kawai MP11 [Re: drpharmer]  
AndyP Offline
AndyP  Offline

drpharmer , you may be interested to know, I too have a similar problem (starting just a few days ago) with the sustain pedal on my MP 11.

I have had the instrument for a few years with no real problems ( the odd glitch now and then) but now intermittently when I use the sustain pedal, it does not "shut off' when I lift my foot and even comes on unless I actually disconnect the sustain pedal cord. This problem is not constant - it happens only intermittently but it is quite frustrating. I am in the process of having the problem dealt with the authorized repairer - hopefully it is just the pedal and not the keyboard which has the problem.

Andy

#2656195 - 11 hours ago Re: sustain pedal problem on Kawai MP11 [Re: AndyP]  
Gombessa Offline
500 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by AndyP

drpharmer , you may be interested to know, I too have a similar problem (starting just a few days ago) with the sustain pedal on my MP 11.

I have had the instrument for a few years with no real problems ( the odd glitch now and then) but now intermittently when I use the sustain pedal, it does not "shut off' when I lift my foot and even comes on unless I actually disconnect the sustain pedal cord. This problem is not constant - it happens only intermittently but it is quite frustrating. I am in the process of having the problem dealt with the authorized repairer - hopefully it is just the pedal and not the keyboard which has the problem.
Andy

There's been some discussion about the 3-pedal unit from the MP11, including the fact that the pot in the sustain is a fairly standard carbon film type with multi-filar wiper. It's not a high-reliability pot, so after a few years of regular use you can expect the pot to fail. Hopefully that's the issue (meaning at least it can be taken care of with the pedal rather than the piano).

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50 || Kawai MP11
#2656197 - 10 hours ago Re: sustain pedal problem on Kawai MP11 [Re: drpharmer]  
AndyP Offline
AndyP  Offline

Gombessa, thanks for the reply - hopefully the issue I have is with the pedal unit not the keyboard. I was not looking forward to sending off my keyboard !

#2656292 - 2 minutes ago Re: sustain pedal problem on Kawai MP11 [Re: drpharmer]  
drpharmer Online happy
drpharmer  Online Happy

Does anybody have a good number for tech support for Kawai? I would try that and let everyone know how that goes.

#2656293 - 1 minute ago Re: sustain pedal problem on Kawai MP11 [Re: drpharmer]  
drpharmer Online happy
drpharmer  Online Happy

BTW, I have only had this piano maybe 3 months, so it's not from sustained use.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
What's Hot!!
Why Do You Play The Piano?
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kurzweil RG100SE, good action?
by Fscotte. 06/25/17 11:15 AM
Brian Crain - Song for Sienna
by TonyDIGITAL. 06/25/17 09:59 AM
Gaveau Upright 1928-29
by Petrol. 06/24/17 10:34 PM
Grotrian Steinweg Model 100 1960s
by Petrol. 06/24/17 10:11 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics180,444
Posts2,638,884
Members88,180
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Check It Out!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission