2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, 10 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 81 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 80 81
Originally Posted by SwissMS
I have taken ABRSM exams both in Switzerland and in Spain. The exams are perhaps not as commonly used as in the UK, but it is still quite common in musical education in these countries. I don't have personal experience with other European countries.

Spanish educational institutions do not use ABRSM at all, it's not even in the picture. Any music teacher in those countries, and by that I mean someone employed by a public official educational institution (not a private teacher), would be horrified to even think of any education systems that teach an instrument before you've spent years properly singing the notes from scores etc. ABRSM is still an option for adult beginners and such, who won't get a place in a conservatoire, to "formalise" what you've learned, but it won't get you a job in the public sector there because it has no official validity.

Started January 2017. Working on Alfred Level 2 and Fundamental Keys. Yamaha P-115.
My wife just told me that it is in theory partially possible to gain official recognition in some places, but only once you've got at least LRSM, so LRSM or FRSM, but it involves further study at a conservatoire. I don't know for how long. Any less than LRSM and it's like you haven't done anything basically.

Started January 2017. Working on Alfred Level 2 and Fundamental Keys. Yamaha P-115.
W
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
What are LRSM or FRSM? In Colorado (USA) we have no active ABRSM centers, only some activity in RCM. The testing idea hasn't caught on for most private teachers and faculty in my university school of music were not familiar with any of the exam systems. I won't be getting university degrees in music so the RCM pushes me to focus more on technique and theory than I would in my usual private lessons.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
Originally Posted by WiseBuff
What are LRSM or FRSM?

Those are ABRSM's advanced qualifications (Diploma, Licenciate and Fellow of the RSM), usually only done by professionals, that you can study after you've done intermediate performance level (grade 8).

Last edited by ID5894; 06/21/17 08:23 AM.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I sat an online AMEB Music Craft grade 3 theory exam yesterday afternoon (Friday) and shortly afterwards wrote I whinging rant here but stopped shy of posting at the last minute. This morning (Saturday) I got the result, a 70/100 pass, despite the site saying it would take up to four working days to mark. Good on you AMEB, suddenly I don't feel quite so bad. Why was I annoyed? I had 1hr 40min to complete the 38 questions but even at that it wasn't enough time and I had to rush high value harmony questions and never made it to two high value ear exercises. No point moaning though, I got the pass and had a year of theory lessons which has broadened my musical knowledge no end.

In a few days I am heading off to the UK to once again cycle top to bottom of the motherland. For some light reading on the plane I will have....you guessed it, grade 4 Music Craft for company.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Congratulations on passing your theory test, earlomar! That is really fast results. ABRSM theory exams take about six weeks to get a result back. The waiting is terrible.

I know what you mean about starting on the next level as soon as you know you have passed! I am already looking at the requirements of the next grade too.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by earlofmar
I sat an online AMEB Music Craft grade 3 theory exam yesterday afternoon (Friday) and shortly afterwards wrote I whinging rant here but stopped shy of posting at the last minute. This morning (Saturday) I got the result, a 70/100 pass, despite the site saying it would take up to four working days to mark. Good on you AMEB, suddenly I don't feel quite so bad. Why was I annoyed? I had 1hr 40min to complete the 38 questions but even at that it wasn't enough time and I had to rush high value harmony questions and never made it to two high value ear exercises. No point moaning though, I got the pass and had a year of theory lessons which has broadened my musical knowledge no end.

In a few days I am heading off to the UK to once again cycle top to bottom of the motherland. For some light reading on the plane I will have....you guessed it, grade 4 Music Craft for company.

Congrats!

I had 3 hours for AMEB grade 5 theory and also didn't have enough time. The cadences and 4 part-harmony took me so much time! I did terrible at them but managed to pass overall with 74 :-P

Watch out for 4-part harmony when you get to it :-)

Be yourself

W
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
Whooohoooo!!! Great news! Congratulations Earlofmar. The little details of writing the exam are SOOOO time intensive. I can totally understand your exam situation. Glad you got the pass.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I just received my ABRSM Grade 7 practical results. I passed with merit - 121! I am absolutely thrilled. It has been a long three weeks waiting for the results, and I managed to convince myself that I had failed. Every night before going to sleep I would add up my probably score, and hope for a 101! I was shocked when my teacher emailed me my result. There will be dinner out and Cava (Champagne) tonight!!!

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Congratulations to the recent exam takers, WiseBuff, earlofmar, and SwissMS! Hats off to those of you who put in the long, hard hours of practice and show up on the appointed day to show your stuff! thumb

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congratulations Swiss Miss. That is wonderful and so inspiring.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
P
P
Congratulations SwissMS! That's a really great score and shows all the hard work pays off.

In Progress:
1.Debussy Arabasque1
2. Czerny 740 no 3
3. Mozart Sonata K330 1st Movement
4. Bach Prelude and Fugue in C Major
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congratulations! Great work!

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
This is great news SwissMS, hearty congratulations. Gives me the sudden urge to get up and practice.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Congrats, SwissMS!

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the congrats everyone! I am excited about moving on to some really exciting music at grade 8!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Excellent job SwissMS! 121 at grade 7 is quite an achievement! All the best with grade 8 :-)

Be yourself

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Great news SwissMS! Guess you proved yourself wrong when you were convinced you wouldn't even pass... lol... Congratulations on the Merit!!

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I've decided to start studying for the RCM advanced theory and history exams: Harmony, counterpoint, analysis and history at levels 9, 10, and ARCT.

This is well beyond my playing level. But it fills an urge I've had for a long time, to understand more about basic compositional principles in the common practice period. I'm starting with the similar materials for ABRSM 6, 7, and 8 at mymusictheory.com, and I've ordered the recently published harmony and history books from RCM Publishing.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
G
G
So I decided to get myself a teacher so that I have someone who can listen to my playing and notice the little things. I have recordings to listen to and record myself but it still seems to sound the same so figured it would be good to have someone who know what they are talking about to help me perfect pieces and also some of the technical stuff I am not as confident on so will be good to have someone to help with that too. I'm only going to go fortnightly for now. I have my first proper lesson monday week so looking forward to that and will be doing a lot of sight reading work as that's where I struggle the most. We are just going to take our time getting ready for the exam and see how I go with it for awhile before setting a time frame.

Congrats to all who got their exam results back it looks like there have been some great results. Well done.

Page 19 of 81 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 80 81

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission