2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (benkeys, brennbaer, AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,938 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2654936 06/19/17 07:39 PM
OP Offline
Can someone help me with recommended technique for playing 32nd notes. I know how they work but maybe there's a better way. For 8ths, it's 1 and 2 and 3 and 4, 16ths, 1 e and a 2 e and a .... but I don't think playing the notes as fast as one can is the ideal technique as I read someplace (which is probably the case with 64ths).
Thanks in advance.

The thought of eternal efflorescence of music is a comforting one, and comes like a messenger of peace in the midst of universal disturbance--Roman Rolland, Musicians of Former Days

Vast untapped resources lie within.
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
You just play 2 notes per subdivision of your 16th notes. The speed of the notes all depend upon the tempo of the piece. Mozart uses 32nd and 64th notes all the time in slow movements of his sonatas, but not so often in his fast movements. Same for Beethoven, now that I think of it.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by ClassicalMan
I don't think playing the notes as fast as one can is the ideal technique as I read someplace (which is probably the case with 64ths).

"Playing the notes as fast as one can" is not ever a legitimate way to read music. 64th notes are just twice the speed of 32nd notes.

Regards,

Polyphonist
OP Offline
Here are 2 counting techniques I found doing some googling: 1) 1e+a+e+a 2e+a+e+a 3e+a+e+a 4e+a+e+a 2) 1-count-ing-thir-ty-sec-ond-notes, 2-count-ing-thir-ty-sec-ond-notes, 3-count-ing-thir-ty-sec-ond-notes, 4-count-ing-thir-ty-sec-ond-notes, etc.

I tend to like the first since it connects with the basic way of counting.

The thought of eternal efflorescence of music is a comforting one, and comes like a messenger of peace in the midst of universal disturbance--Roman Rolland, Musicians of Former Days

B
BDB Offline
B
Here is a movement full of 32nd and 64th notes, including 64th note triplets (96th notes):

Semipro Tech
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Depending upon the overall tempo and depending upon the time signature, I don't see any point in counting every single note, particularly when you are dealing with a passage in thirty-second or sixty-fourth notes.

In a passage such as this one: [Linked Image]

(from the second movement of Mozart KV546) it would make little sense (to me) to try to count every single thirty-second note. Use the left hand to set a reasonable tempo, count as I have indicated, and simply make sure that the left hand sixteenth-notes and consequently the right-hand thirty-second notes are played very evenly.

Counting every single note in a pattern such as 1e+a+e+a 2e+a+e+a 3e+a+e+a seems totally unnecessary, and is overkill, isn't it?. Surely anyone should be capable of playing a group of four notes evenly without having to count each one. Counting every note means you lose the sense of the real beats in the measure, a loss of forward movement and direction and certainly a loss of sense of phrasing, all of which should be a part of learning, right from the beginning.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
OP Offline
BruceD, I see! In that case, then a da da da da, da da da da or one note syllable played two beats per 16th is all that's necessary or simply hearing 2 beats per 16th notes. 32nds and 64ths don't appear very often. Someone remarked somewhere that they're often in slow classical music divided into lots of beats but they are often seen in virtuoso music ex. Art Tatum transcriptions (breakneck tempos). Hence, the question for thorough understanding. I think when reading virtuoso music, it's probably best to play the best slow, harnessing the notes then gradually increasing the tempo over time with the aid of a metronome is recommended.

M
M
Originally Posted by BruceD
Depending upon the overall tempo and depending upon the time signature, I don't see any point in counting every single note, particularly when you are dealing with a passage in thirty-second or sixty-fourth notes.

In a passage such as this one: [Linked Image]

(from the second movement of Mozart KV546) it would make little sense (to me) to try to count every single thirty-second note. Use the left hand to set a reasonable tempo, count as I have indicated, and simply make sure that the left hand sixteenth-notes and consequently the right-hand thirty-second notes are played very evenly.

Counting every single note in a pattern such as 1e+a+e+a 2e+a+e+a 3e+a+e+a seems totally unnecessary, and is overkill, isn't it?. Surely anyone should be capable of playing a group of four notes evenly without having to count each one. Counting every note means you lose the sense of the real beats in the measure, a loss of forward movement and direction and certainly a loss of sense of phrasing, all of which should be a part of learning, right from the beginning.

Regards,
I agree. If you can break it down to the 16th note, you should be able to figure out the rhythm for 32nd and 64th notes from there. Eventually, you then get to the feeling of the 8th note or whatever note is the basic beat of the piece. And slow practice can be helpful, especially if you don't quite get what those 32nd notes should sound like.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by ClassicalMan
[...]I think when reading virtuoso music, it's probably best to play the best slow, harnessing the notes then gradually increasing the tempo over time with the aid of a metronome is recommended.

That's a good, and often recommended, procedure.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission