Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Modern Piano Moving
Modern Piano Moving
(ad)
Virtual Sheet Music
Download Sheet Music Instantly
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Sheet Music...
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
Who's Online Now
79 registered members (Almaviva, 36251, ando, AlanB, accordeur, 22 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2654895 - 06/19/17 04:54 PM Help - how to find the correct type of sheet/piano music...  
Pologuy Offline
Pologuy  Offline

Milwaukee, WI
I am trying to find piano sheet music for popular recording artists, etc.

Let's take for example - Christopher Cross' - Arthur's Theme.

I am only looking for the sheet music for the actual piano part that was played in the recording.

I am NOT looking for sheet music that adds notes for the vocal part that Christopher Cross sings.

Is there some "type" of sheet music I should be looking for - like "original composition" or something to differentiate between the two?

confused

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2654898 - 06/19/17 05:02 PM Re: Help - how to find the correct type of sheet/piano music... [Re: Pologuy]  
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
BDB  Offline

Oakland
You might find better answers in the Non-Classical area, but there may not be a written-out piano part for the recording. Often, all the pianist gets is a lead sheet, such as one might find in a fake book. If it was written out, it is not likely to have been published, because there is little market for it. It would be difficult to get the same ensemble together often enough to create a demand.

Semipro Tech
#2654900 - 06/19/17 05:04 PM Re: Help - how to find the correct type of sheet/piano music... [Re: Pologuy]  
dogperson Offline
2000 Post Club Member
dogperson  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
Hi Guy
Maybe there is a more sophisticated way, but I just search for 'piano solo'
Arthur's Theme Piano solo

#2655224 - 06/20/17 11:59 PM Re: Help - how to find the correct type of sheet/piano music... [Re: dogperson]  
BruceD Offline
BruceD  Offline

Victoria, BC
Originally Posted by dogperson
Hi Guy
Maybe there is a more sophisticated way, but I just search for 'piano solo'
Arthur's Theme Piano solo

True, that is a piano solo arrangement, but it does indicate "arranged by Dan Coates". Is that what the OP wants, since he is looking for the the actual piano part that was played in the recording?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2655271 - Yesterday at 09:09 AM Re: Help - how to find the correct type of sheet/piano music... [Re: Pologuy]  
David Farley Online content
1000 Post Club Member
David Farley  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Chicago, Illinois
Search for transcriptions instead of arrangements. There are some collections available, but they're usually specific to a performer, like Elton John, Billy Joel, Steely Dan... Don't know about Christopher Cross in particular. I've found that more of this stuff tends to live in odd corners online, rather than through commercial channels, and can therefore be ephemeral.

Edit: And some transcriptions are just a bundle of riffs. Meaning the little piano parts in the song everybody knows, but not the other parts, which the player is expected to fill in themselves.

Last edited by David Farley; Yesterday at 09:12 AM.
#2655326 - Yesterday at 12:43 PM Re: Help - how to find the correct type of sheet/piano music... [Re: Pologuy]  
bennevis Offline
9000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Pologuy
I am trying to find piano sheet music for popular recording artists, etc.

Let's take for example - Christopher Cross' - Arthur's Theme.

I am only looking for the sheet music for the actual piano part that was played in the recording.

I am NOT looking for sheet music that adds notes for the vocal part that Christopher Cross sings.

Is there some "type" of sheet music I should be looking for - like "original composition" or something to differentiate between the two?

You'd be wasting your time looking for such things.

I've played pop music from scores marked as 'original' and they are certainly nothing like what I heard on the original artists' recordings. To get that, I had to add more notes (usually) or sometimes even change the harmony and rhythm. That includes piano-heavy songs by Elton John and others. These days, I just play from lead sheets and improvise my own arrangements to as close as I like to what I remember of the original recording.

Pop songs aren't like classical, with all the notes set in stone. The artists work from the basic melody and/or lead sheets, or by ear, and embellish or change stuff as they feel.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
#2655333 - Yesterday at 01:15 PM Re: Help - how to find the correct type of sheet/piano music... [Re: Pologuy]  
BruceD Offline
BruceD  Offline

Victoria, BC
At some point, I had a rather long, on-going discussion (argument?) with a poster no longer here, about sheet music for mass-produced pop songs and well-known popular standards. We could never agree (as I thought, and as I remain convinced) that these arrangements are not original forms of the composer's compositions but simply arrangements for mid-range (average) voice with piano accompaniment. The poster insisted that his collection of published Gershwin songs for voice and piano were Gershwin's original, note-for-note writings exactly as he had composed them.

In other words, trying to find "originals" of popular songs and standards is not possible unless one can consult the archives of the Library of Congress or some other such depository which may have a collection of a composer's manuscripts. With more ephemeral, hit-of-the-moment scores, the so-called original might not even exist. Even the song that has been more or less permanently inscribed on a recording may not be the original version, not in this genre.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
#2655337 - Yesterday at 01:31 PM Re: Help - how to find the correct type of sheet/piano music... [Re: Pologuy]  
David Farley Online content
1000 Post Club Member
David Farley  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Chicago, Illinois
Personally I think arranging pop music is an art in itself and I'd take a good arrangement over an exact note-by-note transcription most every time. I have a couple collections that purport to be music exactly as played and they are really more useful as curiosities than musical compositions.

From 1968 to 1996 the late Johnny Costa was the music director for Mister Rogers' Neighborhood and legend has it that he never played the closing theme music the same way twice.

#2655341 - Yesterday at 01:36 PM Re: Help - how to find the correct type of sheet/piano music... [Re: Pologuy]  
BDB Offline
BDB  Offline

Oakland
The assumption is that classical performer-composers like Mozart wrote everything out and played it exactly the same way all the time. That is not likely!

Semipro Tech

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
What's Hot!!
Why Do You Play The Piano?
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
To Shake up the Digital Piano scene?
by peterws. 06/22/17 06:08 PM
HELP: Lirika String Measurements
by Lirika. 06/22/17 05:01 PM
Chopin Revolutionary Etude - Tempo?
by hag01. 06/22/17 02:25 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics180,396
Posts2,638,306
Members88,153
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Check It Out!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission