Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Modern Piano Moving
Modern Piano Moving
(ad)
Virtual Sheet Music
Download Sheet Music Instantly
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Sheet Music...
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
Who's Online Now
114 registered members (AlanB, Albert Brighten, anotherscott, ando, 30 invisible), 1,936 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2654799 - 06/19/17 10:09 AM USB 3.0, SSD & CFX lite?  
D7K Offline
D7K  Offline

Ok, I decided to add some software but I am trying to figure out how to do it.

My Computer is i7700/4200 Ghz, 32 gig fast ram, Boot drive is 512 SS, Rx480 8 gig video card, about 7 Gig total 7200 rpm standard drives and has an 850 watt power supply. I am having my "studio" rewired as I currently run lots of "stuff" and feel I need better wiring. I am using on board for sound currently. I feel a new sound card is about all I can put in the box (suggestions for high level sound cards welcomed) and be fine under full current draw. Thus I'd like to run an SSD for my DAW, software Piano (s), and orchestra software. So far the system has been very fast and I think given some 4K editing I've been doing USB 3.0 might be able to run sound software with a fast SSD.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by D7K; 06/19/17 10:10 AM.

Jeff
Casio PX-5S Pro - my new adventure
Yamaha p105 - gone but not forgotten
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

#2654817 - 06/19/17 12:09 PM Re: USB 3.0, SSD & CFX lite? [Re: D7K]  
TheodorN Offline
2000 Post Club Member
TheodorN  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Sweden
Your boot drive is 512GB SSD? If so, and from the specifications of your system otherwise, you shouldn't have any trouble running virtual instruments, whatsoever. Or are you talking about getting an extra SSD, connect it through USB 3.0, and run VSTis from the external SSD? USB 3.0 is not as fast as the internal SATA, but I'll leave it to others who have tried virtual instruments on SSD through USB 3.0, to answer if it works or not.

Recently, I got the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. It works fine with the virtual instruments I have, which are not that resource hungry, actually. The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is essentially the same, but with fewer outputs, as the 2i2 phrase suggests. You get two DAWs for free with any Focusrite audio interface, Pro Tools | First, and Ableton Live 9 Lite. I never got the Pro Tools to work, but the Ableton works fine. Except I can't get it to open Kontakt virtual instruments.

Hope that helps somewhat.

My YouTube channel

Casio PX-5S. NI Giant. Galaxy Bl├╝thner Baby Grand. AcousticSamples C7. AK Studio Grand. Sampletekk Black. Prod. Voices: Estate Grand, Studio Grand LE. Waves Grand Rhapsody.
#2654822 - 06/19/17 12:25 PM Re: USB 3.0, SSD & CFX lite? [Re: D7K]  
MacMacMac Offline
5000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

North Carolina
This is quite similar to my new desktop computer:
Originally Posted by D7K
My Computer is i7700/4200 Ghz, 32 gig fast ram, Boot drive is 512 SS, Rx480 8 gig video card, about 7 Gig total 7200 rpm standard drives and has an 850 watt power supply.
I have "only" 16 GB RAM, though ... but I really don't use half of that.

I have my VSTs on the SSD ... an internal M.2 drive. I'd recommend an internal SSD (whether M.2 or SATA) rather than a USB-connected drive. Yes, the USB makes the SSD data transportable. But if that is not a requirement, go for an internal SSD.

I use an external sound card (a Presonus). I'd recommend an external audio interface rather than internal. I like to keep the digital inside the piano, and keep the analog outside. smile

You can search Piano World for this. But also look at any of the many music/audio boards for recommendations on audio interfaces.
Be clear about your needs.
- How many mic/guitar inputs do you need?
- Do you want it to include a MIDI interface?
- How good is the headphone monitoring on that interface? (Some of them suck. Really.)
- Do you need 1/4" connections? RCA connections? XLR connectors?
- Do you need unbalanced inputs or outputs?

BTW ... I presume you meant i7700K ?

#2654836 - 06/19/17 01:08 PM Re: USB 3.0, SSD & CFX lite? [Re: D7K]  
D7K Offline
D7K  Offline

Yep it's a Intel Core i7-7700K .

If I went with external sound I might be able to use another SSD (I normally render 4K to the internal one and need lots of free space) inside. Looking for external powered ones to keep down the watt draw especially when rendering video. I understand some of the software Piano's take up lots of Gigabytes. Thank you for the help. Extra software might not be useful as I think I will be using Reaper as the host. Of course I guess the answer is always , YMMV so try it:)

Last edited by D7K; 06/19/17 01:09 PM.

Jeff
Casio PX-5S Pro - my new adventure
Yamaha p105 - gone but not forgotten
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2654839 - 06/19/17 01:13 PM Re: USB 3.0, SSD & CFX lite? [Re: D7K]  
newer player Offline
newer player  Offline

You can throw a lot of money at this but I think that is the wrong approach.

Your computer is plenty fast. You should have some "piano system goals." Maybe start by identifying strengths and weaknesses of your overall system. For example:

- Do you feel connected with the virtual instrument when playing?
- How is the latency?
- How do you like the sound quality?

LATENCYMON

You may be able to optimize latency using the free latencymon software to tweak your system's performance. That would be my first step before buying new hardware.

If your CFX works great then stop here and spend your money on other stuff.

SSD vs. HDD

For big virtual instruments, I see lots of people here using HDD with older computers. So running Windows on a SSD and the VI on a HDD might work great. Lots of pros are doing this today with huge studios. The only way to know on your system is to try.

For SSD, the Samsung 850 EVO drives provide great price-performance. I don't know if the more expensive, higher-marketing-spec nvme drives will provide better real-world performance for virtual instruments.

MIDI - traditional vs. USB

Your Casio PX-5S has both traditional MIDI & USB MIDI ports. So you have lots of paths to consider. Will you use headphones or speakers? A few preliminary ideas:

- I'm not sure how "global" system performance (e.g. latency, jitter, hiccups) might differ between traditional MIDI & USB MIDI ports. Your computer setup will matter. I think the only way to know is to try

1. USB MIDI has the advantage of plug-and-play with a computer.

- If you use USB MIDI, you might want to upgrade the internal audio DAC/amp for better sound quality. But your onboard system might be just fine.

- For headphone use you might look at www.head-fi.org for ideas.

2. Traditional MIDI has optocouplers for electrical isolation; they may (or may not) be helpful to reduce noise when connecting several powered devices. But you will need some type of interface to connect the MIDI cable to your computer.

- A good audio interface is like a swiss army knife. It connects your MIDI cables in to the computer, and outputs sound to your speakers/headphones. Good interfaces will have quality DACs and amps.

- An interface will also have software that optimizes audio from MIDI signal to sound output, so might (or might not) optimize performance. RME's software is highly rated but you pay for that performance.

This is the best thread I found for audio interfaces:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mus...e-low-latency-performance-data-base.html

PCIE interfaces still are the best performing audio interfaces. Today there are just a couple of interfaces for USB3 (e.g. Zoom) or ThunderBolt (e.g. RME) that work with Windows. I'm not convinced there will be many consumer USB3-ThunderBolt interfaces released in the future. Lots of good interfaces are available for USB2.

#2654850 - 06/19/17 01:51 PM Re: USB 3.0, SSD & CFX lite? [Re: D7K]  
Alexander Borro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Alexander Borro  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

UK
Originally Posted by D7K
Yep it's a Intel Core i7-7700K .

If I went with external sound I might be able to use another SSD (I normally render 4K to the internal one and need lots of free space) inside. Looking for external powered ones to keep down the watt draw especially when rendering video. I understand some of the software Piano's take up lots of Gigabytes. Thank you for the help. Extra software might not be useful as I think I will be using Reaper as the host. Of course I guess the answer is always , YMMV so try it:)

I am not sure I understand your situation, but FWIW, chances are you'll have plenty SATA 3 ports free if it is your standard ATX sized board. Typically most boards these days will have 6 to 8 internal ones alone, to allow for RAID arrays for those that want them, and that's not even counting external ports you can connect to the motherboard.

More than likely you'll also have connectors on the motherboard for external sata connectors build into your case if you have a case/tower with SATA connectors.
You may also have external SATA ports on the rear of the motherboard for an external sata drives to connect as well, most mid to high end boards tend to these days.

I don't think there will be a problem or compromise whether you want internal or external sound or not, unless you want to use a drive that uses a PCI-e slot for SSD ? and you only have one of those free. Anyway. I'd just just go the SATA route instead for extra drives.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Casio AP450 & software.
[Linked Image] 10x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
#2654851 - 06/19/17 01:56 PM Re: USB 3.0, SSD & CFX lite? [Re: D7K]  
MacMacMac Offline
5000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

North Carolina
You said your PSU handles 850 W. That's about twice what you need. So I wouldn't worry about the power consumption of an additional disk drive or SSD. You're WAY over the mark for what you need.
Originally Posted by D7K
Looking for external powered ones to keep down the watt draw especially when rendering video.

#2654872 - 06/19/17 03:31 PM Re: USB 3.0, SSD & CFX lite? [Re: D7K]  
Joe Garfield Online content
Joe Garfield  Online Content

Los Angeles, CA
I got the high end USB DAC from HifimeDIY.com. It's tiny (external) and the sound is amazing. I didn't need my DAC to have an amplifier and I use a separate standalone MIDI converter.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
What's Hot!!
Why Do You Play The Piano?
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A Specific C2 Question
by Kindgrind. 06/25/17 09:00 PM
First Public Appearence
by Qazsedcft. 06/25/17 07:43 PM
For Gould geeks.....
by bennevis. 06/25/17 04:56 PM
What pieces to play next?
by Erin Xu. 06/25/17 03:44 PM
Six Emperors
by BruceD. 06/25/17 02:12 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics180,452
Posts2,639,014
Members88,184
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Check It Out!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission