2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
64 members (0day, antune, busa, 36251, bobrunyan, Charles Cohen, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 1,033 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
I've just thought that I am ok at the stage of practicing slow, but then I'll need to practice it fast anyhow! When slow, you can play as slow as necessary to avoid making any mistake, but that won't be possible when you finally play it a bit faster.

Any thoughts? smile

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
The concept of learning at a slow rate, accurately, is that you ingrain the correct notes and correct rhythm into your fingers and brain. Then when you speed up the rate, your brain and fingers are already coordinated into doing "what is right"

A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
Thank you, dog person. smile But that doesn't happen as easily as it sounds, at least to me.

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Dogperson is right. You program the right moves into your brain as a series of actions but once established they can be replayed as fast as you can think and later as fast as the synapse/nerve connexion allows, which is faster than you can control the individual notes of.

If it's a fast piece you can get to target tempo with each hand separately and not upset the coordination used in slow programming.

While you're learning the piece, the faster you go, the shorter the fragment. Consider the opening figure of Beethoven's Bb Sonata, Op. 22; just that figure can be worked on, at various speeds from dead slow to full steam ahead, or the septuplets in Grieg's Watchman's Song, Op. 12 No. 3.

Once you can coordinate the moves correctly make sure you add the dynamic contour and articulations before you allow the tempo to rise too much and work in slow motion as opposed to slow playing otherwise you might struggle to control them later.

And you get better at slow practise the more you do it.

Richard
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
i]
Originally Posted by Albunea
Thank you, dog person. smile But that doesn't happen as easily as it sounds, at least to me.

Nothing is as easy as it sounds, for any of us. In order to remind myself of this, I have a sign above my piano:

I didn't tell you it would be easy, I told you it would be worth it.

A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by zrtf90

While you're learning the piece, the faster you go, the shorter the fragment.

Does that mean that we also should practice a faster tempo in fragments?

A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by dogperson
i]

Nothing is as easy as it sounds, for any of us. In order to remind myself of this, I have a sign above my piano:

I didn't tell you it would be easy, I told you it would be worth it.

smile smile smile

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I remember a time when I could hope to learn a piece start to finish in about three months, but those days are gone. Now any one of my grade pieces is taking between eight or ten months to get to some sort of proficiency. During this time most of my practice I would consider slow practice, as anything faster than what I did yesterday or the day before that just seems to derail the piece. Forgetting about tempo during the long months it inevitably takes me by surprise the day I find I am pretty close to playing at the intended tempo.

It is also clear that as beginners we have technical limits, (as our technique matures), as to how fast we can play. The CD's I use as my reference often promote a faster tempo than it is wise for me to attempt. I am happier if I play a piece well at a slower tempo than badly at a faster one.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
That makes sense, earlofmar. I never practiced pieces intensively so I was not surprised it took me long to play them fluently. Since I now was practicing something more intensively I was expecting a faster progress, but it seems it will simply take TIME. smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Practicing fast pieces slow is good to ingrain the coordination but there are problems if you never try to play it fast. Body movements that work at slow tempo don't necessarily work at a faster tempo and it means you might practice for weeks or months only to hit a wall when you attempt to speed up. That's one of the reasons it's essential to have a teacher who can see how you're moving and pre-empt those kinds of problems.

I like the approach that Richard recommends. Practice short passages hands separate as fast as you can manage just to get a feeling for what is required to play it at tempo, then slow it down but without changing the movement. Once you figure out that movement you need to practice this same movement in slow motion.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by zrtf90

While you're learning the piece, the faster you go, the shorter the fragment.

Does that mean that we also should practice a faster tempo in fragments?

Yes, but I'd say "section" or "passage." Some parts will be easy to speed up. Others will trip you up. Practice the parts where you get tripped up.

Learner
B
B
All pianists develop speed by first getting the actual movements down pat when playing slow, and sorting out the correct fingering.

Of course, when you see an experienced pianist sight-read something at performance tempo, you might not think so, but that pianist in fact has already 'rehearsed' the finger/wrist/arm movements required to play those notes from all the technical stuff they've done over the years - scales & arpeggios, lots of pieces, etudes etc. Which is why when they see similar stuff on the page, their fingers instinctively know what to do, and the right movements to make to play the notes at the right speed.

But it takes a lot of 'practice time' to get to that stage where you can just toss off almost anything like it is child's play. So, for now, concentrate on practicing the things you have difficulty with, not the things you already find easy. BTW, that's what all virtuoso concert pianists do too - they don't waste time practicing stuff that are easy for them; instead they hone in on the things they find difficult. When that 'difficult' stuff - or something similar - crops up again in another piece (or later on in the same piece), it's no longer difficult. They've acquired another string to their bow, another weapon in their armoury.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
There was a moment I thought "Ok this is too easy for me" but that only happened with Level 0 pieces (which are mostly one hand laugh ). Level 1 pieces are not yet "too easy for me"...I'd still be learning even if just trying to read them at a decent speed. And, of course, they vary: I have many I have been playing for long but not polished yet.

I am understanding what you all are saying, and yes, I realize the pieces that I am practicing more intensively and not progressing as expected are simply more difficult technically...I've realized I could already write the notes down but can't play them well! That had never happened to me before at all. I can now understand the people who say they memorize their pieces while learning them.

I already have experience to understand what you are saying, bennevis. For example, I spent a long time at the beginning of Bastien 2 going from C chord to F chord and back, and now that is much easier. smile

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
I've just thought that I am ok at the stage of practicing slow, but then I'll need to practice it fast anyhow! When slow, you can play as slow as necessary to avoid making any mistake, but that won't be possible when you finally play it a bit faster.

Slow practice is half the story--well, more than half.

If the piece is uptempo, then, yes, once you think you've got your notes secure then crank the tempo up a notch. If they're still secure, take another step.

If you start missing:

* you may not have the notes as secure as you like so back up to the speed where you weren't missing and work there. Backing up can be pretty difficult to do psychologically!

* if you just completely hit a wall, you might have to rework fingering (yuck). Sometimes things work okay at a slow pace but become hard to execute at speed

Take the above for what it's worth--I don't have particularly fast hands.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
M
M
A couple of things come to mind about slow practice. It is a method of learning something, so like any other practice technique, it should be applied correctly to the problem. If you are playing straight through a piece at a slow tempo, that might be the correct thing to do at the time, or it might not. If that is a default thing you are doing (practicing slow start to finish), then perhaps it's not exactly what you need for the entire piece. You could be wasting time and effort.

OTOH, if you are working a particular portion slowly to get the gesture down, or work out the technique, or figure out the fingering, etc., then slow practice would be a good application here.

If you are trying to increase the overall tempo of a piece, it is important to establish why you are not able to play it faster. Usually this comes down to pointing to the various places that trip you up and force the tempo to be slower: parts that you don't quite know how to play faster yet (and faster without excess tension). It is those places where slow practice may help.

Practicing in rhythms in alternating long-short and then short-long patterns helps increase tempo. When you've done that, you can also play in short bursts of speed. So practice 3 notes very fast, pause, the next 3 very fast, pause, etc. Then increase to 4. This technique works best when the passage contains a series of notes of the same value in a row (i.e., running 8th notes or 16ths notes).

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Any thoughts? smile

Try to be mindful of what exactly you're practicing at a slow tempo. There are a hundred skills you could practice at a slow tempo. In fact, you may be making things more difficult by practicing "playing slowly" which may ingrain slow languid muscle movements that are difficult to speed up!

A better way to think about it is - what am I practicing at a slow tempo? For example you could practice accuracy at a slow tempo, giving accuracy priority over everything else in the music - this will naturally help you speed up accurately in the long run. Or you could prioritize dynamics, articulation, balance, rhythm, phrasing etc. ... at a slow tempo. These will help to internalize and execute those things better when you play at a faster tempo.

Don't just practice slowly, practice 'some skill' at a slower tempo.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Morodiene

If you are trying to increase the overall tempo of a piece, it is important to establish why you are not able to play it faster.

I'm starting to think that I truly need to give pieces a rest. Do you know any students like this? Today I've been playing level 1 pieces that I had not played for about a month and I think the rest helped me with them!

I mostly focus on accuracy, Groove On. What you say is something keystring told me in another thread and I should not forget it.

A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
By the way, I've realized I have them quite memorized (probably just muscle memory since I wouldn't be able to tell you the notes without the score). No way I was just reading... laugh

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
Body movements that work at slow tempo don't necessarily work at a faster tempo and it means you might practice for weeks or months only to hit a wall when you attempt to speed up.

The key to this problem is to work out the fingering to minimize the acceleration of your arms and hands. For instance, the first bar of the coda in David Rose's "The Stripper" has two D-flat's in a row. Going slow, I could play both with the same finger. But before them there's a D flat an octave below, and after it goes chromatically to the F above (with the F an octave below, 1-5). So, I hit the first with 5, and the second with 3 while my arm is moving to get to the part that ends with the F.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
M
M
Originally Posted by Morodiene

If you are trying to increase the overall tempo of a piece, it is important to establish why you are not able to play it faster.

I'm starting to think that I truly need to give pieces a rest. Do you know any students like this? Today I've been playing level 1 pieces that I had not played for about a month and I think the rest helped me with them!

I mostly focus on accuracy, Groove On. What you say is something keystring told me in another thread and I should not forget it.
Oh, I do this all the time with myself! Pieces often take a while to gel in our brains, and I believe during that the time away from playing, your brain is still working it out. Also during that time, we can forget the tension we have in certain areas while we remember how we wanted it to sound.

This is really helpful to do.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How are you learning?
by bennevis - 08/13/22 09:41 AM
Here am and a little help
by Mayopapayo - 08/13/22 07:14 AM
Inspiration
by Pingvin - 08/13/22 06:08 AM
New GSI Pianos
by stamkorg - 08/13/22 06:04 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,375
Posts3,215,957
Members106,077
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission