2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, benkeys, 17 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2652467 06/11/17 03:06 AM
R
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
This time of year, in the summer, my sleeping habits are totally wild.
Yesterday morning, I got up at 3:30 am and spent one and a half hours on my acoustic piano.
Later on in the day, I have no peace in my mind to do that. Then I have to be out in the sun and work on different projects. Which are usually garden projects, like diggin a pond, or working the soil, fixing the roof, etc..
Other mornings, I may be up at 5:30 doing the same thing. No matter if it's a workday, weekend, or a holiday.
Makes me wonder if there are other people with the same crazy habits. I look around and I see that the neighbours are all still sleeping like "normal" people.

Will do some R&B for a while. Give the classical a break.
You can spend the rest of your life looking for music on a sheet of paper. You'll never find it, because it just ain't there. - Me Myself
N
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by RaggedKeyPresser
This time of year, in the summer, my sleeping habits are totally wild.
Yesterday morning, I got up at 3:30 am and spent one and a half hours on my acoustic piano.
Later on in the day, I have no peace in my mind to do that. Then I have to be out in the sun and work on different projects. Which are usually garden projects, like diggin a pond, or working the soil, fixing the roof, etc..
Other mornings, I may be up at 5:30 doing the same thing. No matter if it's a workday, weekend, or a holiday.
Makes me wonder if there are other people with the same crazy habits. I look around and I see that the neighbours are all still sleeping like "normal" people.
On hot summer days, I have this happen often; also before the most important concerts. I don't see anything abnormal in this.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm up at 5AM every day - start practicing around 6AM. It's a habit that I formed long ago - I am my most productive in the mornings.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
L
L
I sleep at 7 in the morning, wake up between 3-5 pm usually, with exceptions, of course.
About half of the night, I'm practicing pieces with headphones on.

A lot of creatives, be it musicians or other artists, tend to stay up late and have a wild schedule. Mostly because they prefer the calm and silent nights, including me, than a busy day full of distractions. grin

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
guilty of getting up at ungodly times and going straight to the piano. However right now it is Winter and it's difficult facing the cold (yeah I know - the harsh Australian Winter smirk)

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Sam S #2652534 06/11/17 11:25 AM
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Sam S
I am my most productive in the mornings.

+1.

Playing at night can be very enjoyable, but not nearly as productive IMHO.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by luckiest_charm
I sleep at 7 in the morning, wake up between 3-5 pm usually, with exceptions, of course.
About half of the night, I'm practicing pieces with headphones on.

A lot of creatives, be it musicians or other artists, tend to stay up late and have a wild schedule. Mostly because they prefer the calm and silent nights, including me, than a busy day full of distractions. grin

You're lucky that your day full of distractions is not 'work distractions'. Enjoy the wild hours while you can. I would prefer to practice half the night, but that is outside the realm of possibilities with a day job.... and i'm sure I'm not in the minority here.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Jobs suck!

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Being older, I get up every night to use the bathroom, generally between 1 and 2 am. I then sometimes go to the piano and practice for maybe an hour and then go back to bed (good thing for the digital). I find this time to productive, as I am in zombie mode and generally practice slower. After going back to bed I fall into a deep REM sleep with vivid dreaming. Maybe I should do this every night, but I do need to make sure I get enough sleep so I can go to work ;0

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

R
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by earlofmar
(yeah I know - the harsh Australian Winter smirk)

Oh, yes.....hahaha

You can spend the rest of your life looking for music on a sheet of paper. You'll never find it, because it just ain't there. - Me Myself
N
Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
N
Always wake up at 4 or 5 too and usually get up, but I am pretty hesitant to practice then. Although I live in a single-family, the neighborhood is pretty tight and I am afraid I might irritate my neighbors.

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
My body's energy level is highest in the mornings but my mind is slow to get going. I usually practice in the evening, when the mind is willing. I wish I had a better mind/body match. smile

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by luckiest_charm

I'm picturing a piano teacher cartoon... the teacher is on the phone, saying "I have a slot available Tuesdays from 2-3 AM. I've also got Thursday 4 AM open, if you'd prefer something later in the day."

I worked a second-shift schedule for many years, and I loved the peacefulness of my free time after work from midnight to ... I did find that if I stayed up past 4 AM, the morning waking-up reaction would interfere with falling asleep.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
On weekdays I start practising anytime from 6:00am to 6:30am and finish around 6:50am to 7:15am then get to work. Usually I get around 40-50 minutes of practice. Because I have such limited practice time, I have no choice but to be really focus and specific on what to practice. If I am learning a new piece, I'd be practising specific bars/measures and learning notes and fingerings.

When I get home I practice for 40 minutes to an hour depending on how tired I am. This is usually my free practice time where I don't have strict practice aims. This is when I play through the pieces. If I'm too tired I'd skip evening practice.

On weekends it's usually in the morning, starting around an hour after I wake up to around late morning or noon, several sessions with short breaks in between. During the breaks I'd usually do household cleaning (like vacuuming, laundry, dusting etc.) or watch some YouTube videos to get some inspirations. Sometimes I'd practice a bit more in the afternoon and/or in the evening. On the weekends where I don't have a lesson, I'd practise all the pieces I am learning and have some free time to explore other new or old pieces. On the weekends where I do have a lesson, I'd be practising only the pieces I'm going to play for the lesson on Sunday.

After piano lesson on every other Sunday (which finishes at 12:00pm or 1:00pm depending on my lesson time), I get half a day free from piano. On public holidays, I get to play my violin.

Be yourself

R
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
When I was working, I had to get up at 5:20 am, out of the door at 6 am, to drive 60 km (37 miles) and be on time for work.
I had everything ready the night before, including the cereal mixed and ready in the micro, so that I only had to push the button on the way to the bathroom. After washing up and getting dressed, the breakfast was ready and had cooled down a bit.
After that, I usually played a few minutes on the piano and even on the guitar, to sustain me during the day at work. Funny thing, I couldn't do without that.
I tried to get up a bit earlier, but didn't manage that since I had such late night habits.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission