2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Let me be clear - the Sennheiser HD650s are outstanding headphones for DPs. The only reason I had to dump them was because I live in a semi-noisy environment and having open back headphones was a distraction. I simply could not take advantage of the HD650s great detail with background noise.

With that said, I really needed a quality closed back headphone, but not full noise-canceling headphones. Even though I have the Sennheiser HD380s, very good and block out most surrounding sounds, they can be a bit harsh and narrow sounding. Also, somewhat brassy compared to the HD650 and Shure SRH1540, but in all fairness, not in the same league. So I was looking for a high end closed back headphone with an open back airy sound stage presence like the HD650. Not an easy find I know. Well, going in blindly with low expectations, to my surprise the SRH1540 nailed it way beyond my expectation. Wow, so clear and spacious sounding for closed back. 1540 sound as good (and better for me) as the HD650 without having to turn the volume too high or overcompensating the EQ. Some reviews say the 1540s are are bass heavy, but let me tell you they are perfect with a dp on the low end. Very detailed, not boomy or muffled whatsoever. The low end sounds fantastic with my ES7 and RD800. Overall, on the RD800 you will have to slightly adjust the EQ and piano designer a bit on the SuperNatural APs to get that exquisite comprehensive sound that the RD800 produces. When you dial it in just right it, the piano sounds are euphoric through the 1540s! On the ES7 it is plug and play and never sounded SO good via headphones since Ive owned it - amazing. (IMO Kawai owners will loves these headphones - a must demo especially for the new MP owners if you can)

Pros: Might be a top choice for DP owners looking for high-end closed back cans under $500. Sounds seems very realistic and natural. Exceptional comfort and quality - superb in fact. Great hardshell case and extra ear pads and cables too.

Cons: Very expensive. 6' cable might be short for some. Minor sound leakage in and out. Sound might not be exactly flat for some, but I don't believe it's colored in the high or low end. If it is colored, then it's colored in favor for DPs IMO.

Conclusion: Please know that I am not a knowledgeable headphone guy whatsoever. I just know what I like. So, the best way I can describe the SRH1540 is that they have a very detailed natural lifelike roominess about them that I have never heard in any headphone. Very similar to the HD650 but a bit more detailed and depth may be due to the closed back. With the SRH1540 I almost feel like I have an actual piano encompassing me in a spacious room. These cans are a keeper and well worth it to me simply because my ES7 and RD800 sound tremendous through them without hearing distracting environmental noise. If you are looking for closed back headphones with and open back sound, I highly recommend the Shure SRH1540 . But YMMV with your DP or VST.

Last edited by Marko in Boston; 05/24/14 02:38 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Wow, congrats - they sound like truly fantastic phones!

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Thanks Marko. Congrats on those Shures. I've never used anything but 240s ...on my second pair. I know 'em and I trust 'em. I don't play with phones very often as I have a studio and things are pretty quiet in there.

But I am curious about the Senns. Particularly for the CP5 *when* I get one. smile That dp had a very low output on its headphone amp. When I would practice my vocals with phones (CP5 has the mic input w/ separate gain control ..very cool feature), I'd run out of headroom real quick.

When I did own it, I almost sprung for a headphone amp. But I could never bring myself to pay the big bucks on the the only thing I thought was good at the time - the Grace.
http://www.sweetwater.com/c452--Grace_Design--Headphone_Amps_and_Distribution

Don't know too much about either of those phones though, other then they are $$$ !

I think the RD800 has a hotter signal then the CP5. When I demoed it in the GC I was ok with the volume until some other knuckleheads started making noise around me. It could have been the fact the 240s are open. But when the noise level rose from these cretins, I don't know if any headphone would have cancelled them out. wink cry

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Hi Marko, congrats for you purchase! I am very glad you find them so good. As mentioned in our private discussion a couple of days ago the only reason I didn't buy them was I could not adjust supernatural on my dp (that's the only piano sound for which I find the bass a tiny bit too enhanced for my taste with these headphones). I hadn't done a direct comparison with HD650, now I know the Shure are at least as good if not better. You didn't mention comfort, which for me was one of their main asset compared to other cans. How do you compare the comfort to the (already pretty comfortable) HD650?
There is however a downside I hadn't realized and that you mentioned. The cable is even shorter than my current Shure (already too short for me...).

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, M1 Mac mini, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garritan CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
Thanks Marko. Congrtas on those Shures. I've never used anything but 240s ...on my second pair. I know 'em and I trust 'em. I don't play with phones very often as I have a studio and things are pretty quiet in there.

But I am curious about the Senns. Particularly for the CP5 *when* I get one. smile That dp had a very low output on its headphone amp. When I use to practice my vocals with phones (CP5 has the mic input w/ separate gain control ..very cool feature), I'd run out of headroom real quick.

When I did own it, I almost sprung for a headphone amp but didn't want to pay the big bucks on the the only thing I thought was good at the time : the Grace.
http://www.sweetwater.com/c452--Grace_Design--Headphone_Amps_and_Distribution

Don't know too much about either of those phones though, other then they are $$$ !

I think the RD800 has a hotter signal then the CP5. When I demoed it in the GC I was ok with the volume until some other knuckleheads started making noise around me. It could have been the fact the 240s are open. But when the noise level rose from these cretins, I don't know if any headphone would have cancelled them out. wink cry

Hi Dave, the RD800 has plenty of headphone output to power the HD650 without need for a headphone amp. However, Im sure a headphone would bring the very best out them in any situation. The HD650 sound fantastic if you have a quiet environment. I was driving them too hard to overcompensate for surrounding noises and was too loud to enjoy. However, they were lovely late night with a quiet house and neighborhood.

Originally Posted by Digitalguy
Hi Marko, congrats for you purchase! I am very glad you find them so good. As mentioned in our private discussion a couple of days ago the only reason I didn't buy them was I could not adjust supernatural on my dp (that's the only piano sound for which I find the bass a tiny bit too enhanced for my taste with these headphones). I hadn't done a direct comparison with HD650, now I know the Shure are at least as good if not better. You didn't mention comfort, which for me was one of their main asset compared to other cans. How do you compare the comfort to the (already pretty comfortable) HD650?
There is however a downside I hadn't realized and that you mentioned. The cable is even shorter than my current Shure (already too short for me...).

Hi Digitalguy, Thank you so much for great advice via PM on closed back headphones. I was going to PM you this morning. I do not find the bass to be an issue at all and I was concerned about that. Infact, if it is enhanced it is done very well. I was impressed with the clarity lows and mids without having to mess with the EQ much at all. I do understand what you saying as I did notice the bass a bit heavy on the NX AP sounds but easily EQ'd to my liking. I think the RD800 can almost make anything sound good with so many editing options.
Comparing the 650 and 5140 - both are extremely comfortable. The 650 seemed to sit slightly better on my head, however Im finding the 1540 to be lighter and more comfortable experience for extended wear. It's like wearing virtually nothing kind-of-light. Funny though the 1540 seems larger than 650. I have not looked in a mirror with them on but I saw my reflection in my iPad - I looked like i was landing jets on and aircraft carrier laugh ! Beautiful headphones, but if looks matter I would have to give it to the Senns. Not a factor to me what headphones look like.
Speaking of good looking headphones wink I know you also liked Focal Spirit Pros but once you said they can get a little uncomfortable I was turned off to them only because I practice for many hours at time with headphones. In the past my HD380 started bothering me after the first hour. However, I would love to try the FSPs just to hear them. They get outstanding reviews and probably the better choice over the 650s and 1540s for flat response.
Thanks again for your valuable advice and experience with headphones.

Last edited by Marko in Boston; 05/24/14 08:55 AM.
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Marko in Boston

Speaking of good looking headphones wink I know you also liked Focal Spirit Pros but once you said they can get a little uncomfortable I was turned off to them only because I practice for many hours at time with headphones. In the past my HD380 started bothering me after the first hour. However, I would love to try the FSPs just to hear them. They get outstanding reviews and probably the better choice over the 650s and 1540s for flat response.

Well, the Focal have 2 "small" problems in my opinion. When you compare them to other similar studio headphones these actually are not even problems, as that's the norm, but they are problem when you have tried something like the Shure first. One is comfort, they are definitely not uncomfortable, many studio headphones are relatively tight and some are clearly tighter, but the thing is you don't forget you have them on, as you do with the Shure.
Second, soundstage is on par with the typical closed-back headphones while the Shure sound more like open headphones...
I'd say the level of detail is similar and can hardly get any better unless you are ready to spend thousands of dollars on some of the best headphones in the world (that cannot go without some at least as expensive headphone amplifiers...)
The only real advantage, a part from the perfectly neutral sound, is the low impedance that let you use them with everything else (pc, mobile phone, ipod etc., by the way are the Shure enough for everything else? I remember that with some of my virtual pianos I had a hard time with the volume and my pc without any external audio interface).
Anyway, I think it's really the best choice for you, especially if you can EQ your supernatural piano, and I think this thread will be very useful for people that have the same problem as you (and me, that's why I haven't even bought open cans in the first place...)

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, M1 Mac mini, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garritan CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Bumping an old thread, I know, but I've seen Marko is still active around.

So, I own a HD-650 at home and they are just the best headphones I've ever had, period. Not gonna sell them or change them unless it's something insanely better which I doubt. I use them for listening to music, not for my piano though.

I am in a desperate need for closed headphones that are as close as possible to HD-650 for use at the office. I once brought my HD-650-s at the office and the team mates immediately hated me. They are zero tolerant to even the slightest sound leakage frown

I bought an ATH-M50x and immediately regretted it. They were so bass heavy that it was almost painful. Please bear in mind I listen 99% to classical music: symphonic music + solo piano of course.

So, sold the ATH-M50x, did my research better and purchased a NAD VISO HP-50. Great sound, much more balanced and linear, however I had terrible comfort issues since they pressed against my ears slightly and in a matter of two hours I just couldn't keep them on my head anymore frown Returned them.

Desperate I went to a retail store and started trying multiple headphones in a row, ultimately ending up with SRH840. They are great, balanced sound, very comfortable. I've been using them for the last few months. But there has always been this slight dullness, they sound kind of boring, although I don't know why... Wondered whether their much more expensive bigger brother SRH1540 is better?

How would you compare HD-650 and SRH1540? Are they good for classical music? Are they bass heavy? Can't find a retail around me to test, so only chance is to just buy them and of course I can return them if I don't like them but would like to gather some opinions first.

Last edited by CyberGene; 06/09/17 07:34 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
B
B
I've used a lot of Sennheiser over the years and for the studio just picked up a set of KRK KNS 8400. They are closed back with memory foam ear pads and are very comfortable to wear for long periods, and have good noise isolation. They are not bass heavy or shrill as a lot of headphones in their price range are. They are also very revealing with a slightly warm character. Once in a while they are on sale at walmart of all places. Might want to check out a few reviews on these and give them a shot if you get a chance.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission