2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, Brendan, 1957, 10 invisible), 1,780 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 81 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 80 81
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Congratulations bSharp(c)yclist! It sounds like your exam went really well. It is nice that you had an examiner who was very friendly. For him to say "congratulations, well done" sounds like a definite pass!

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Congratulations bSharp, you're doing great. Time to get a real piano! wink

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Congratulations bSharp, sounds like you did great!

[Linked Image]
W
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
FANtastic! You did it Bsharp and you have every reason to feel exhilarated, happy, and proud. Way to go.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
P
P
Congratulations bSharp! Now you can relax. I took ABRSM grade 6 last year and I remember the feeling. Waiting for the results is a pain. I am taking a break this year and possibly next year from preparing for exams. I am just practicing and learning the pieces for the level. Once I am ready, I am going to take the grade 8 exam and skip the grade 7.

In Progress:
1.Debussy Arabasque1
2. Czerny 740 no 3
3. Mozart Sonata K330 1st Movement
4. Bach Prelude and Fugue in C Major
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Looks like I officially passed. 87. I'm a bit bummed it's not 100, but that's the perfectionist in me, haha ;0 The comments were very kind overall. One common piece of feedback is for me not to have the LH overshadow the RH. But there are some comments I don't quite understand. I'll have to work through them with my teacher and try not to repeat them the next time.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Congratulations bSharp(C)yclist! That is a very good score, especially for the first time in an exam! With an unfamiliar piano it is not uncommon to find the balance between the right hand and left hand more problematic. Even with that, it sounds like you did great overall. Now relax and enjoy the summer!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Wow that is an amazing mark! Way to go!

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Well done, bSharp! Your hard work has paid off. Congratulations! thumb

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015

Congratulations, bSharp, we all want a perfect mark, but 87 isn't chopped liver. My exam (only RCM level 2) is next Monday. As I have
absolutely no talent for music, should I manage an 87 I will be over the moon. Once again Congratulations!

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
congratulations, 87 shows how much hard work you put in, it's a pretty good score in my opinion.

Last edited by earlofmar; 06/07/17 06:48 PM.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks, everyone. I am happy with the score. I am excited to talk to my teacher about it, hopefully she'll be proud. I think a lot of credit has to go to her too. No matter how many times I run through a piece, she'll point out something that could be better. She wasn't quick to pass me. If I had done this on my own I probably would have been satisfied at the point of just learning the notes. This experience has shown me there is a lot more to it than that.

The stuff I missed isn't anything she hasn't told me. It just points out things I need to pay more attention to next time. For the most part, the reviewer's recommendations centered around dynamics, keeping it balanced or bringing out the melody more. Maybe that will help you Sara and Tone Deaf for your exam. There was no mention of missed notes or wrong notes, which did happen in the list B piece. There was a part that was supposed to be pp, but it was sounding loud so I tried to go softer, but went too soft and produced no sound. That threw me off and I flubbed a few things, but I didn't stop or repeat, I just keep going.

I do run scenarios through my head about if I had done this or that, maybe I would have squeezed out 3 more points. For example, the playback I got 3 out 4. I know I got the very last note wrong, but I didn't try to fix it. I could have, but then you would have heard that I was fixing it. So I probably wouldn't have gotten 4 points for it anyway, it would have just sounded worse.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

P
P
Congratulations! 87 is a really good score! Hard work do pay off.

In Progress:
1.Debussy Arabasque1
2. Czerny 740 no 3
3. Mozart Sonata K330 1st Movement
4. Bach Prelude and Fugue in C Major
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
bSharp: Congrats! Well done to score an 87. What I think is really great is that you have thought about the experience and the comments and seemed to have really learned by the process. Like a piano lesson on steroids, right?

Tone Deaf: Good luck next week.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Congratulations for passing with first class honour (80-89)! At 87, you have achieved well above the national average for 2016 for piano level 3, which was 79. You should be very proud!

To inspire you for your next exam, 3 more marks and you will be placed at the national top 2%!

I wish AMEB publish these kinds of statistics.

Be yourself

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Great result bSharp, congratulations!

[Linked Image]
G
G
Hi all I'm new to the forums and have started relearning piano as kids are interested in learning. I have always considered going back and finish my grades. I was studying grade 5 ameb years ago as a teenager. I have had a look at the syllabus and think I will work through from grade 1. I do feel grade 2-3 would be more of a challenge for me but I would struggle with the technical work but I guess I could just take longer and get the technical work solid. I will be self teaching at least to start with.

Gemma

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Gemma121
I do feel grade 2-3 would be more of a challenge for me but I would struggle with the technical work but I guess I could just take longer and get the technical work solid. I will be self teaching at least to start with.

Gemma

just my two cents worth but you might find grade 1 too easy and therefore not very satisfying.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
G
G
That's true I was considering just jumping up to grade 3 but am worried that would be too big a jump but I guess I could just take longer I was a bit of a lazy piano student when I was having lessons. I might go middle ground and do grade 2. My sight reading is terrible I always hated that part.

1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Well done bSharp.

As an aside I'll tell you all a little of my exam history and experiences. As I have mentioned in other posts I'm not primarily a 'classical' Pianist, but when I was in my late 20s (back in the late 80s) for reasons that are lost in the mists of time I decided to take up classical Guitar. I'd already been playing the Piano since I was about 8 and fancied trying something different.

So I found a Guitar teacher, who has become a longtime friend of mine, and took the ABRSM grade 2 and 4 guitar exams. These were the first I'd ever taken. It was a scary experience but I passed. I started working on Guitar grade 5, but my interest faded and so as my Teacher was an all-round musician who could play some Piano I asked him if he would enter me for some piano exams. He agreed and I took grade 5 theory and we decided that ABRSM grade 6 is where I should start. Looking back now this seems incredibly ambitious! Anyway I passed grade 6, which surprised me. I have no memory of the exam at all. Inbetween doing this I decided that as it was most unlikely that I would ever get a practical grade 8, I took and passed ABRSM grade 7 and grade 8 theory.

Then I/we decided I should attempt ABRSM grade 7. The exam was at a local school (as they nearly always were in my experience) and about 20 mins before I was due to go in I went into another room and warmed up, not by practicing my scales and arpeggios, but by playing my cross fertilisation of Jimmy Yancy and Prof Longhair on a blues in F. Stupid Boy. When I then walked back into the waiting area a young lad said to me something along the lines of "wow you won't have any trouble passing, playing like that". Little did he know or understand.....

Anyway I then took the exam and I have one memory, which sums up the entire exam. The examiner said play me the scale of Ab minor melodic, and I did, except what came out was a new version of the scale that I made up on the spot, blessed with a few mis-fingerings. Under pressure I couldn't remember the scale, if I actually knew it all. I failed grade 7! But, and this is a lesson to everyone, I would have passed if I had learnt my scales and arpeggios properly. I did well enough on the pieces and most of the other bits, and was only about 6 marks short of a pass. Then (this exam was 1992), and maybe still now ABRSM grades were/are marked out of 150 and to pass you need 100. I got ninety something, and failed through laziness.

If I ever get to retire its my intention to try grade 7 again, as I play far more now than I did in those days. Perhaps I'll even attempt grade 8. Or maybe I'll just stick to playing blues. The joy of music!!

Cheers

Simon

Casio PX-S3000
Korg SV2S (73)

ABRSM Grade 7 distinction 2023.
Decent blues/rock Pianist.
Try to play Jazz Piano, but pretty rubbish.
Studying ABRSM grade 8 now.

Page 16 of 81 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 80 81

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission