2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, 10 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 48 of 60 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 59 60
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Spilling coffee on my computer the day the competition started and only getting it back today from the shop certainly set me way behind!

Nevertheless, from the skimming I've done (Which is really just skimming, so if you can direct me to anyone in particular I'd be interested!)...this year seems to have a lot of nice sounds and well shaped phrases, but so far I haven't seen some of the same electricity/craziness/maverik-ey stuff that was demonstrated in competitions past (I'm thinking Deljavan, Bozhanov, Sean Chen, Kern). It's not that they seem to be necessarily "playing if safe", but instead a bit hesitant to swing the pendulum any too far in one interpretive direction. (The British guy who plays Barber in the prelims kinda did).

That being said, I loved Daniel Hsu's dreamy sound and elasticity in the Schubert Impromptus. Favorin's unusually broad tempi in the Hammerklaiver was interesting and different (Though if Pressler were on the jury again, going that far away from the score indication would be cause for trouble)

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Albunea
Maybe the members of the jury don't like Kapustin?

I doubt it hinged on whether jury members liked the Kapustin - it was likeable and fun and DK played it well, charming the audience. And it was short. In itself, they probably liked it just fine.

More likely, if it had a negative effect on their assessment, it was because they thought it was not appropriate, especially juxtaposed between the Mendelssohn and the Schubert. It's sort of like seeing someone loaded down in millions of dollars worth of fantastic heirloom jewelry designed by the best jewelry makers the world has known, and in the middle of all that seeing one cute and cheap piece of costume jewelry made of plastic and glass. Not a great effect.

Or, to put it a more musical context, it might be like an orchestra doing a program of the Hebrides Overture and a Schubert symphony, and throwing in some Leroy Anderson bonbon in between. It's just way out of place, you know? And you'd question the judgement of the person doing the programming.

Taking the appropriateness issue a bit further - it wouldn't surprise me if some jury members would question whether a Kapustin piece was appropriate for a big competition at all. Which again, wouldn't necessarily be about whether they personally enjoy hearing some Kapustin once in a while, but because he is more like some sort of light-weight cross-over hybrid than a "real" classical composer. If I were a juror, I think "Goodness knows, there is a vast range of more appropriate stuff to play, so why choose Kapustin?"

And, of course, there's no telling of how it might play out in their markings if a juror thought Kim might somehow trying to pander to Hamelin by playing the Kapustin.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by kcostell

For the solo recitals, the only requirement was that the preliminary round include the commissioned work by Hamelin. For the semifinals, they had a list of 8 Mozart Concertos to choose from. For the finals, they had a list of four piano quintets to choose from, and a "free choice" concerto that could in theory be any work for piano and orchestra (though in practice pianists gravitate towards warhorses they can be sure the orchestra already knows well).

I wonder how free the free choice of concerto really is - the choices have to approved by the Cliburn, which could say no to anything. Of course, it is a smart move to play something the conductor and orchestra (and jury) know. But what if a competitor wanted to stand out by doing something really quite different that they had a strong feeling for?

I was thinking, for example, of what might happen if a competitor submitted the Ginastera 1st concerto. I know that Slatkin has conducted it in the past, so it wouldn't mean he had to learn a new concerto from complete scratch. But I understand it's pretty challenging for the orchestra, and they can't be expected to take their parts home and woodshed just one competitor's concerto, I don't think. Based on that alone, Slatkin might say "No way", even if he liked the idea.

Anyway, I suspect the free choice is not really all that free in reality.

B
Brendan Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
B
IIRC, Sean Chen's Bartok 2 was vetoed in 2013 and he had to substitute Rachmaninov 3. Since the competitors only get an hour to put it together, more extreme concerti are at a disadvantage (not to mention how spotty the FWSO is).

Regarding Dasol and rep, I don't think that Kapustin was the issue, nor playing it between Mendelssohn and Schubert (both of which were expertly done). Teo also played Kapustin, as did Claire Huangci in 2013. Let's also not forget that some of the programming has been far more extreme (both of Favorin's Liszt selections, lots of Shostakovich). I'm honestly at a loss as to why he didn't advance.

Easy answer: one of my old teachers, when asked by students why they didn't advance in competitions would always say "because you didn't get enough votes." Harsh, but true.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by dogperson
Originally Posted by Carey
Originally Posted by Brendan
Not saying that there's any conspiracy, but it seems that Sunwoo has played a number of two-piano concerts with one of the jurors, Anne-Marie McDermott:
https://bachtrack.com/concert-listi...rmott-duo-recital/15-december-2016/20-00 .
Interesting. Can't help but wonder if the jurors were made aware of this and/or whether it would have made a difference one way or another. Probably a non issue. We'll never know.

Shouldn't it just be assumed that this was known by the jury and any necessary steps taken? If I were a competitor in this competition, I wouldn't want to read this negative speculation on this forum....particularly while it is ongoing. frown
I'd like to assume that - however, I don't honestly know what the "necessary steps" would be in this type of situation other than asking the juror with the "perceived" conflict to abstain from voting for the particular candidate. And it should be the juror's responsibility to raise the issue in the first place. But no matter how it was handled, what's done is done.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Teo also played Kapustin...

And he also was out. Probably it has nothing to do but I wondered if maybe some don't like Kapustin. I personally find it perfect in the middle of other pieces! But I am aware I like variety, maybe too much.

B
Brendan Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
B
I felt that Teo had some issues in the rest of his program (particularly in the Ravel and Kapustin, the piece notwithstanding) and that the other competitors simply did better. Who knows...

I can't imagine that playing one short Kapustin piece((out of 3+hours of playing)could negatively affect a competitor. I think Kapustin is extremely popular with audiences and pianists and considered by most to be a terrific composer. Audiences, in particular, almost always seem to love a good performance of a Kapustin work and his music seems to be steadily gaining in popularity/recognition.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 06/07/17 01:05 PM.
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I can't imagine that playing one short Kapustin piece((out of 3+hours of playing)could negatively affect a competitor.

This.

aka Lady Arabesque
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/hayburner1969
K
K
There were two competitors playing Kapustin (Teo and DKim) but I was left with an impression that neither listened to the recordings by the composer himself.

There was excessive rubato in both, and they both lacked a sense of an ensemble: if you look at the score carefully, there are clearly delineated distinct voices that correspond to various instruments: guitar, bass, horns, etc. Both failed to articulate the colors embedded in the score.

Most disappointing was that both "corrected" jazz chords to be more "classical." The effect was somewhat akin to Prokofiev without dissonance. The rich colors from parallel chords, extended chords were absent.

Kapustin's music is wonderful, and I'm quite intimately familiar with both pieces presented. I still believe that Kapustin's music will be featured at competitions, but I find most performances to be rather half-baked.

However, I don't think they would affected the outcome much, anyway.

Intermezzo, Op.40 No.7, to me, is a burlesque show. The free but brief 4-measure piano-solo introduction prompts the previous act to clear off the stage, while waiters in the club take order for drinks. Then, the swing band joins in, and the burlesque dancer walks onto the stage. The dancer teases and seduces, and little by little, her voluptuous body is revealed. In the coda, the last piece of her outfit is removed to a raucous audience, then the dancer makes an exit.

The variations, Op.41, is a history lesson of sort. In each of the variations, it explores different styles, from swing, ballad, bebop, and everything in between. There really is no room for much rubato, since a band wouldn't do it, except in the slow ballad. The ensemble consists of a piano, electric guitar, electric bass, drums, and horns. It's not quite a big band, popular in the former Soviet Union well into the 80s, but it certainly mixes a wide range of styles, and is quite aggressive and progressive, much like the Concert Etudes, Op.40 and Sonata No.1, Op.39.

The ballad variation should evoke a smokey club, where you hear hushed whispers of the audience, and clinking of glasses and silverware. Here, the original Latvian ? tune used in Le Sacre is presented, implying nostalgia.

I don't know, these are the things that I kept in my mind.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ken, thanks for your very interesting input. I'm not very familiar with jazz at all, so I'm curious what you mean when you say both performers used "corrected" jazz chords. What's an example of that?

Currently working on:
-Poulenc Trois pièces
-Liszt Harmonies du Soir
-Bach/Brahms Chaconne for Left Hand
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Nice viola. Enormous viola!

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
B
Brendan Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
B
Lovely Dvorak quintet so far. Broberg is perfectly balanced but very energetic when required. The viola and cello in particular sound great in the quartet.

B
Brendan Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
B
An overall very reputable and enjoyable performance of the Dvorak. Excited for Favorin and Franck, my favorite quintet.

Let's see about those first movement arpeggios. laugh

E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
An overall very reputable and enjoyable performance of the Dvorak. Excited for Favorin and Franck, my favorite quintet.

Let's see about those first movement arpeggios. laugh

How did the arpeggios go? The stream started buffering for me right when they started. cry

So far Favorin sounds terrific to me. This Franck first movement is so lush and atmospheric.

B
Brendan Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
B
He freaking nailed it. Broberg did great, but this is in a different category, IMO. Nice to see our guy benefitting from the "performer 1/performer 2" bounce. smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I admire Broberg greatly, but another case of one setting up two?

Favorin was tremendous in the Franck. The jury will lap that up!

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
S
S
I would not be surprised at all to see split prizes this year. The standard here is just so damn high.

E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
For some reason I could watch Anderson and Roe run through a maze and order fried pickles for hours.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Great. Some yeehaw Texan stereotypes. No wonder people abroad legitimately believe most of us ride horses around everywhere.

Page 48 of 60 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 59 60

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission