2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 11 invisible), 1,938 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 44 of 60 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 59 60
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Gorgeous Schubert from Broberg.

Would Pierdomenico have been better off playing the rep. from the earlier recitals later?

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yes Broberg is KILLING IT in the Schubert. To think I was nervous for what seemed like a treacherous choice!

Currently working on:
-Poulenc Trois pièces
-Liszt Harmonies du Soir
-Bach/Brahms Chaconne for Left Hand
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by valarking
I don't go to a piano teacher to only tell me what I'm doing right, and I don't come here (although I'm not really a frequenter these days) to only read people gushing about how great stuff is. Reading other peoples' impressions, even negative or snarky ones, exposes me to potentially differing viewpoints. It's saddening to see people getting so upset about negative feedback both here and on the stream feed for a competition. It's so very closed minded.
I think it goes without saying that any reasonable and serious piano student doesn't just want positive feedback. I don't mind negative criticism about these performances if it's phrased in an appropriate manner, if opinions/preferences are clearly expressed as such, and if the reviewer doesn't post a huge preponderance of negative criticism. To me, the last one says they are just looking for negative things to say. In addition, my guess is that many(not all) of those doing the negative criticizing cannot play anywhere the level of these pianists.

As far as snarky comments go, I don't think they're ever appropriate since one can always express the same idea without a snarky tone. Although my guess is very few, if any, of the participants read this thread, I think posters should take into account they might and express themselves accordingly.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 06/05/17 05:37 PM.
K
K
I'm loving Broberg's sense of drama (especially in how he times things) and of voicing, both in the Schubert and the Liszt.

Not sure if it's as technically dazzling as the previous Liszt sonatas I've heard, but I'm enjoying it the most of any of them.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by valarking
I don't go to a piano teacher to only tell me what I'm doing right, and I don't come here (although I'm not really a frequenter these days) to only read people gushing about how great stuff is. Reading other peoples' impressions, even negative or snarky ones, exposes me to potentially differing viewpoints. It's saddening to see people getting so upset about negative feedback both here and on the stream feed for a competition. It's so very closed minded.
I think it goes without saying that any reasonable and serious piano student doesn't just want positive feedback. I don't mind negative criticism if it's phrased in an appropriate manner and if the reviewer doesn't post a huge preponderance of negative criticism. To me, that says they are just looking for negative things to say. In addition, my guess is that many(not all) of those doing the negative criticizing cannot play anywhere the level of these pianists.

As far as snarky comments go, I don't think they're ever appropriate since one can always
express the same idea without a snarky tone.

I know of a teacher who has never given a very positive review of any concert. To me, that is quite unfortunate...though more so for them than anyone else. On the same note, no one has a right to not be offended nor should one have to tip toe around their thoughts for fear of offending random third parties who are, in the grand scheme of things, no more important than those making the criticism.

Also, why should we assume this tech savy generation of pianist doesn't read this forum? I not saying they do, mind you, but I am saying that it's unlikely they would have any trouble finding this forum. It pops up pretty often on google searches and what we say is archived for years. I think we should all be mindful of the fact that there's a good chance our comments might someday make it directly to the performer.

Originally Posted by jondavwal
I guess I object to the constant mention of wrong notes. When one gets carried away one plays wrong notes. One of my favorite pianists of all time is Annie Fischer. Her performances were littered with wrong notes and yet they are brilliant and riveting and everything you could ever want in a pianist. Hopefully, if she competed here, wrong notes and all, she would win. She was one of Richter's, Pollini's, and Argerich's favorite pianists as well. And when I'm butchering whatever piece I'm playing these days I tell myself that it just means I'm musically superior and just getting swept away like she did. It comes with dementia.

I have rather mixed feelings about this though Bronfman has manged to sway me towards his viewpoint: https://youtu.be/EAPg4HfQwaI?t=9m40s

Now, since I have unfortunately managed to turn things off topic, I have to say that I'm very interested to hear the last night of Mozart concerti. I want to hear Sunwoo because he seems to have a love of the classical period based on his programing, but many seem to be left a little cold by his conservative approach. I also want to hear very much the young Yike Yang who's appearance in these later rounds is a very welcome thing indeed.

Last edited by MikeN; 06/05/17 06:15 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kcostell
I'm loving Broberg's sense of drama (especially in how he times things) and of voicing, both in the Schubert and the Liszt.

Right, he really stands out in this competition with his voicing and inner melodies for me. Makes me appreciate his first round counterpoint all the more now as he seemingly naturally highlights "hidden" melodies in the later Chopin, Schubert and Liszt he played. Also great use of the pedal in his playing.

Currently working on:
-Poulenc Trois pièces
-Liszt Harmonies du Soir
-Bach/Brahms Chaconne for Left Hand
E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by MikeN
I have rather mixed feelings about this though Bronfman has manged to sway me towards his viewpoint

Yes, that was a quite interesting statement from Bronfman given that he's bucking a trend, or maybe I feel like it's a trend because I read the New York Times music reviews and Anthony Thommasini. Thommasini loves a concert that makes him think, something cerebral, no matter how many wrong notes are in it.

I think it's perfectly fine to have either opinion - that wrong notes matter, or that they don't. It's okay to disagree with any opinion put forth in this forum.

I understand that Anderson & Roe are doing a very specific job and part of their job is to be unrelentingly praising and if they didn't like a particular thing about a performance to disguise it with carefully couched phrases, but if you ever get the chance to listen to competition commentators who are willing to be upfront and honest and not only uniformly praiseful, such as Gerard Willems at the Sydney piano competition, there is something not just refreshing about it but very educational. You educate your musical ear not just by listening to lots of music and playing it but by hearing others discuss what was successful and unsuccessful about it and why.

J
J
I don't think wrong notes don't matter. I think a great pianist/musician can make them not matter. Schiff's discussion of what constitutes great technique is also interesting. He says we mistake mechanics for technique today. I would agree.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Eduard Hanslick
I have rather mixed feelings about this though Bronfman has manged to sway me towards his viewpoint

Yes, that was a quite interesting statement from Bronfman given that he's bucking a trend, or maybe I feel like it's a trend because I read the New York Times music reviews and Anthony Thommasini. Thommasini loves a concert that makes him think, something cerebral, no matter how many wrong notes are in it.

I think it's perfectly fine to have either opinion - that wrong notes matter, or that they don't. It's okay to disagree with any opinion put forth in this forum.

I understand that Anderson & Roe are doing a very specific job and part of their job is to be unrelentingly praising and if they didn't like a particular thing about a performance to disguise it with carefully couched phrases, but if you ever get the chance to listen to competition commentators who are willing to be upfront and honest and not only uniformly praiseful, such as Gerard Willems at the Sydney piano competition, there is something not just refreshing about it but very educational. You educate your musical ear not just by listening to lots of music and playing it but by hearing others discuss what was successful and unsuccessful about it and why.

I was quite shocked by Bronfman's statement when I first heard it though, after careful consideration, I had to agree. Anyone who's ever played any of the repertoire of the level being programmed in this competition knows how difficult a task it truly is to play all the notes. On the same note though, I have a friend who does the most interesting things musically that I've never heard anywhere else. He hates to drill anything though, so his performances are somewhat sloppy. I'd jump at the chance to hear him! Maybe even over some of the competitors we're hearing here.

How wonderful that such commentators exist! Let us not lose such learning opportunities because of censorship and political correctness. On the same token, let us not use the freedom we have to indulge egotism. I think both are extremes to be avoided.

Originally Posted by jondavwal
I don't think wrong notes don't matter. I think a great pianist/musician can make them not matter. Schiff's discussion of what constitutes great technique is also interesting. He says we mistake mechanics for technique today. I would agree.

I also agree. I think Leopold Godowsky outlines this difference quite well in his preface to his Studies on Chopin Etudes.

Edit: I am mistaken. I've long since reading his remarks separated technique and mechanics as he does. He never does explain the difference though. ha

Last edited by MikeN; 06/05/17 06:58 PM.
B
Brendan Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
B
Caught the end of Broberg's Schubert and heard all of the Liszt. The Schubert was lovely and has some interesting things in it.

I'm not sure what to say about the Liszt. He certainly has his own interpretation of it (as a Tchaidze did with Pictures), but I felt that some of the things he did went past interpretation and into misreading territory, IMO. There were some technical issues (I can sympathize...), but he held it together very well. With a 2009/2013 jury, he'd be out for sure, but I think that this panel will award his adventurousness.

Missed Pierdomenico today as well as both of the solo recitals yesterday, so I'll have to skim those before tonight. Kudos to Han Chen for programming Janacek.

Online Content
I know of a teacher who has never given a very positive review of any concert. To me, that is quite unfortunate...though more so for them than anyone else. On the same note, no one has a right to not be offended nor should one have to tip toe around their thoughts for fear of offending random third parties who are, in the grand scheme of things, no more important than those making the criticism.
Just because no one has a right to not be offended doesn't mean those commenting on the performances should be offensive. Nor would I call that concept "political correctness" as another poster characterized it. I'd call it basic courtesy and how one should treat another person.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 06/05/17 07:44 PM.
B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Also, why should we assume this tech savy generation of pianist doesn't read this forum? I not saying they do, mind you, but I am saying that it's unlikely they would have any trouble finding this forum. It pops up pretty often on google searches and what we say is archived for years. I think we should all be mindful of the fact that there's a good chance our comments might someday make it directly to the performer.

And why should we assume that the even more established pianists of today don't read this forum? Some may be surprised to hear about which piano celebrities that have tuned in to the writings here. The world is small - even if they do not bother to check the forums themselves, they also have friends, friends of friends, fans, and others, who may alert them. I can speak with absolute certainty of at least one such case with a pianist considered among the very best, who was shocked to say the least about the negative tone expressed here regarding various aspects about himself. Yes, it would be very naive to assume that pianists in general do not tune in to this forum.

E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Ugh, buffering. I've missed hearing about 25% of the notes thus far.

B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Brendan
Caught the end of Broberg's Schubert and heard all of the Liszt. The Schubert was lovely and has some interesting things in it.

I'm not sure what to say about the Liszt. He certainly has his own interpretation of it (as a Tchaidze did with Pictures), but I felt that some of the things he did went past interpretation and into misreading territory, IMO. There were some technical issues (I can sympathize...), but he held it together very well. With a 2009/2013 jury, he'd be out for sure, but I think that this panel will award his adventurousness.

I would beg to disagree. Misreading territory? Where exactly? If there were technical "issues", I found them all to be very minor in comparison to all of the positive aspects of his technique. On top of being in full control of the entirety of the piece, he had keen attention to detail, and kept this piece of music (which I rate, from a purely musical standpoint, roughly as highly as you rate Schumann's F# minor sonata...) interesting from start to finish.

I haven't followed the competition all that well, and I must say that I was skeptical when I saw that he had programmed both the Dante and the B minor sonata, but nevertheless, this seems to have suited him perfectly. Pairing the B minor with Schubert seems to have been an excellent idea, as well.

I'm hoping to see him in the finals. I might be somewhat biased, having met and spoken to him at the Sydney competition last year. A wonderfully friendly and interesting character, and he undoubtedly has a bright and exciting future ahead, no matter what the results in the Cliburn will be.

S
S
Damn. Yang is slaying it.

Online Content
Originally Posted by fnork

And why should we assume that the even more established pianists of today don't read this forum? Some may be surprised to hear about which piano celebrities that have tuned in to the writings here. The world is small - even if they do not bother to check the forums themselves, they also have friends, friends of friends, fans, and others, who may alert them. I can speak with absolute certainty of at least one such case with a pianist considered among the very best, who was shocked to say the least about the negative tone expressed here regarding various aspects about himself. Yes, it would be very naive to assume that pianists in general do not tune in to this forum.
Maybe, but at least in terms of professional pianists who concertize with some regularity and are PW members I think there may be as few a 10. You, Brendan, Koji, Can Cakmur, dolce sfogato, and ...? Most of the pianists listed in the who's who forum virtually never post as far as I know.

It is more possible I think that some pro pianists find out about posts related to them through friends or students. Around five years ago I posted something about one of the Prok Sonatas I had heard in a master class at Mannes, and a little while later the master class teacher(the pianist who runs the e-competition)posted a comment about what I had said. One of his students had told him about my post.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 06/05/17 08:57 PM.
B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Maybe, but at least in terms of professional pianists who concertize with some regularity and are PW members I think there may be as few a 10. You, Brendan, Koji, Can Cakmur, dolce sfogato, and ...

Two things: First of all, my point had nothing to do with the regulars of the forum who also concertize. Second of all, neither you nor I know who hides behind various pseudonyms here.

Either way, my basic point was that lots of people tune in here without being active members of the forums, including world famous pianists. With that in mind, it might be wise to consider being careful with what one writes here.

E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
This third movement is way too frenetic.

S
S
He really brought out the Beethoven in the cadenzas...maybe just a bit too much so.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by fnork
Maybe, but at least in terms of professional pianists who concertize with some regularity and are PW members I think there may be as few a 10. You, Brendan, Koji, Can Cakmur, dolce sfogato, and ...

Two things: First of all, my point had nothing to do with the regulars of the forum who also concertize. Second of all, neither you nor I know who hides behind various pseudonyms here.

Either way, my basic point was that lots of people tune in here without being active members of the forums, including world famous pianists. With that in mind, it might be wise to consider being careful with what one writes here.

I agree. I think people don't realize that the music world, especially at the top, is a rather close knit community and the great pianists of the world don't live in caves cut off from society and I've never met one that doesn't care what the public thinks. WHAT WE THINK!

Whatever our thoughts, I think one mustn't forget that these people are giving up a good amount of their lives partly to provide us with enjoyment. That's a massive sacrifice! I can't help but be grateful.

Page 44 of 60 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 59 60

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission