2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
73 members (accordeur, AndrewJCW, 1957, anotherscott, 3B43, Abdol, 16 invisible), 639 guests, and 544 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Re: Recital 46 --- General Discussion Room
AB Forum Recital #2647686 05/27/17 05:30 PM
Z
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by wouter79
FAIK my teacher does not observe a 'too loud' problem.
...my teacher's comment that I'm playin the last note of the slurs in the RH too loud.
But my teacher is more focusing on getting me to HEAR these accents...
...I don't hear a difference.
This may be the issue. Your teacher seems to be aware of the problem but unable to solve it. I suspect that once you can hear what's wrong, the solution may well be self-evident.

A specific examples: (1) in the forte parets I was playing too heavy, particularly in LH. I then practice some of these measures to see if I can make the quarter notes just a bit shorter.
Too heavy = too loud, no? So perhaps you meant a bit softer?

The exercises with the screwdriver and ghosting your scales were designed to get you playing at a whisper, without involvement from the fingers, hands or wrists, but all the motion coming from the elbow or shoulder. The bigger the muscles, the finer the dynamic increments can be so the closer to your spine the motion springs from (the big lat muscles) the better the control and the quieter (or louder) you can play. Fingers have a limited dynamic palette.

I was thinking of suggesting a 20Kg Olympic barbell instead of the screwdriver to force arm control - with two hands you wouldn't be able to control it with your wrists - but then I figured you wouldn't let it near your piano!

My impression is that the recording volume is just very low on those videos. Why do you believe that they are actually PLAYING soft?
Put the volume up to full whack on both the YT vids and your desktop and listen to:
Khatia: 1:20 - 1:50 vs 4:30 - 5:00 or listen to LH vs RH at 3:20 to 3:50
David: 1:07 vs 1:21 or listen to his LH vs RH between 0:30 and 0:50

Still can't hear it? Ah, me.

How can you play with motionless fingers if you need more than one?
Originally Posted by zrtf90
You play the first note of a phrase with the drop weight of the arm and gradually raise the arm so that it clears the keyboard at the end of a phrase.

So, this exercise is only for the very first note of each phrase? The rest of the notes are played with the finger motion?
No, I was thinking of m2-5 of the waltz and missed the point of your question. You use your hand like a spring tined rake and use weight transfer as in legato scales, more sideways wrist movement than finger movement, or wrist rotation like a tremolo or trill between 1-3 or 1-4 instead of 2-3 or 3-4 or very fast Alberti figures where the fingers barely move relative to each other.

You could go back to the Graham Fitch video but you don't seem to hear the difference between the float off and the kick off. The three figures in M2-5 are float off dactyls like mulberry, bitterly or cucumber but you're playing them as kick off anapests like contradict, undertake or recommend. Here's where the Lisitsa video is good. It shows quite clearly how the hand rises through each figure, clears the keyboard and drops on the next. The reason for the 1-2-3 1-2-4 4-2-1 fingering is that it encourages hand lifts between the three figures and dropping on the start of each.

Richard
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
AB Forum Recital #2647798 05/28/17 08:36 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
41. PikaPianist - Etude Romantique Op.13, No.15
What a pretty piece how emotionally played, Loved the moving and dramatic melody and how well it was played! Good recording sound

42. Piano_Primo - Hymnal Praise Composer Arron Williams ME—I got to push my plateau that I’ve fallen to.

43. Muove - L'enterrement du pouppee almost funereal melody, somber well played and dynamics were good. Enjoyed the listen .

44. luckiest_charm - Minute Waltz a lot of 16ths? Well played but low in volume,, sounded well played , enjoyed the listen .

45. J Soo - La cathedrale engloutie you played this very well, and I love the somber mysterious quality of this piece, the crescendos mixed with the bass have the strange emotional effect. Well done!

46. Richard (zrtf90) - Allegretto in C Minor, D. 915 Just beautifully played. Seems like quite a hurdle with a lot of movements to this.. Well done! Enjoyed the listen.

47. MeganR - Musette BWV Anh 126 nice steady even tempo- rhythm, well played even touch and enjoyed the listen

48. stumbler / Dave - Miss Graham's Jigg WOW quite impressivly played piece. Enjoyed the listen ,, piano sound and recording was professional .

49. PawelS - Jeff the Killer Lastly . I can say this piece was really impressive, it’s almost as if there was a existing backtrack that was played along with , or over. The growing reverb in the melody was effective with creating a dramatic emotional response. Anyway enjoyed the listen

Til next recital. Hopefully I’ll make some progress on the long piece I’m attempting or (UGGH) start new.
Which by the way doesn’t work. ,i.e. starting something new or going back … Did you ever notice when you think you can’;t do something … you give up , then try a long long time later only to achieve what you though you couldn’t?….. so you wasted that time in a illusion of…. Something.

Thanks to anyone who commented on my piece ,Megan, Ralphiano, Petersw, SMASS, and more.. Even the smallest comment s encourage motivation, and are appreciated !
>>>>>
I started a new job , and they're long days... but I'm taking donations for piano lessons... all of course for your listening enjoyment!!!! >NO not as a salesman...Seriously ...and I am joking!!! smile

zrtf90 #2647806 05/28/17 09:37 AM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
FAIK my teacher does not observe a 'too loud' problem.
...my teacher's comment that I'm playin the last note of the slurs in the RH too loud.
But my teacher is more focusing on getting me to HEAR these accents...
...I don't hear a difference.
This may be the issue. Your teacher seems to be aware of the problem but unable to solve it. I suspect that once you can hear what's wrong, the solution may well be self-evident.

Yes exactly. I'm with this teacher to learn how to hear this kind of things, both dynamics and rythmic issues have similar issues that I don't appear to hear. The rough approach is to do lot of simple stuff so that I have more brain cells open for listening. I think it may work but it's a long and slow process.

A specific examples: (1) in the forte parets I was playing too heavy, particularly in LH. I then practice some of these measures to see if I can make the quarter notes just a bit shorter.
Too heavy = too loud, no? So perhaps you meant a bit softer?

No, heavy means that the notes are played too long, so the articulation is wrong. You can play forte yet light. You can also play soft yet heavy. Funny, these kind of terms also took me a long time to grasp; often did I change something in the interpretation only to learn in the next lesson that I misunderstood a term...

The exercises with the screwdriver and ghosting your scales were designed to get you playing at a whisper, without involvement from the fingers, hands or wrists, but all the motion coming from the elbow or shoulder. The bigger the muscles, the finer the dynamic increments can be so the closer to your spine the motion springs from (the big lat muscles) the better the control and the quieter (or louder) you can play. Fingers have a limited dynamic palette.

I was thinking of suggesting a 20Kg Olympic barbell instead of the screwdriver to force arm control - with two hands you wouldn't be able to control it with your wrists - but then I figured you wouldn't let it near your piano!

Mmm, I dont have barbells nor would I put them on my piano. But would it work if I attached some weight to my wrists (with a rope) and use my fingers to press the notes?

My impression is that the recording volume is just very low on those videos. Why do you believe that they are actually PLAYING soft?
Put the volume up to full whack on both the YT vids and your desktop and listen to:
Khatia: 1:20 - 1:50 vs 4:30 - 5:00 or listen to LH vs RH at 3:20 to 3:50
David: 1:07 vs 1:21 or listen to his LH vs RH between 0:30 and 0:50

Still can't hear it? Ah, me.

I listened again. No I don't hear that enormous sound. I downloaded the whole thing and pushed it in Audacity to see what we're really talking about. The soft part is played at -32dB and the loudest part at -9dB. So netto the difference is 23dB. And also notice, the recording IS soft, -9dB below what you would normally do in a production video.

For my own recording, the last chords are 0dB (perfect) and the melody around -12dB. So yes there clearly is lot of room for improvement in the dynamics department, but I still doubt where to gain this 11dB, I guess gaining in the f end is much easier than in the p end.

My teacher said that the way I played 'p' before was actualy ppp and not hearable in the rear end of a concert hall.

How can you play with motionless fingers if you need more than one?
You play the first note of a phrase with the drop weight of the arm and gradually raise the arm so that it clears the keyboard at the end of a phrase.

So, this exercise is only for the very first note of each phrase? The rest of the notes are played with the finger motion?
No, I was thinking of m2-5 of the waltz and missed the point of your question. You use your hand like a spring tined rake and use weight transfer as in legato scales, more sideways wrist movement than finger movement, or wrist rotation like a tremolo or trill between 1-3 or 1-4 instead of 2-3 or 3-4 or very fast Alberti figures where the fingers barely move relative to each other.

You could go back to the Graham Fitch video but you don't seem to hear the difference between the float off and the kick off. The three figures in M2-5 are float off dactyls like mulberry, bitterly or cucumber but you're playing them as kick off anapests like contradict, undertake or recommend.

Huh? I never heard these words in relation to articulation smile But yes this is very possible. I hear a bit of difference when he plays the notes really sharp, the sound gets a bit agressive. But I don't have a problem with a bit of agression in the sound in the right places smile Apparently others hear this differently.
Regarding the 'sideways wridt movement", I'm quite puzzled now. Sideways motion does not help me playing a note. I guess this is one of the reasons I have a real teacher smile

Here's where the Lisitsa video is good. It shows quite clearly how the hand rises through each figure, clears the keyboard and drops on the next. The reason for the 1-2-3 1-2-4 4-2-1 fingering is that it encourages hand lifts between the three figures and dropping on the start of each.

Mmm, I thought her hand motions were excessive / showing off, and I didn't like the end effect either. Hand lifting, that's for me a big way to trigger a train wreck...

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Sam S #2648010 05/28/17 08:31 PM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Sam S
I have been taking Piano Pedagogy classes, and last semester we actually studied adjudication, or how to critique student performances. Usually at the ABF recitals I restrict myself to polite and encouraging comments. But if anyone would like a more detailed critique I would be happy to try. It can be either by private message or public in this thread - your choice. Send me a message and I will do my best. Classical music only please.
... Sam

Sam, would it be possible for you to share their methodology with us? It might be of general interest.

Personally, I'm curious, but don't really have a clue.

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

AB Forum Recital #2648052 05/29/17 01:35 AM
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
About time I thanked several more unacknowledged fellow-Recitalists: peterws, Tubbie0075 and piano_primo_1. Your kind and generous feedback gave me a real lift.

And to Frank, Monica, Sam and anyone else hiding in the wings who worked to arrange this Recital - THANK YOU! My piano journey is all the richer for being able to take part regularly in recording, listening, commenting and learning from others’ comments. smile

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-LX

My C3 - solace. And joy.
Riddler #2648073 05/29/17 05:38 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Riddler

Sam, would it be possible for you to share their methodology with us? It might be of general interest.

Ed

I'm taking 4 semesters of Piano Pedagogy. We touch on all aspects of teaching, some of it in great detail (student teaching, for instance) and some of it for one class period. We covered adjudication in one class in the second semester. It was in the context of judging a student competition or exam, in which you typically have a couple of minutes to write your comments before the next student comes in to play.

Here are some of my notes:

The objective is to help the student and the student's teacher, while being as fair as possible and rewarding the student who has prepared and performed the best.

Encouraging the student is important, and choosing words carefully.
Since time is a factor in judging, prepare some adjectives and phrases beforehand that can be used quickly.
For an excellent performance, something like "stupendous" or "Captured my imagination". "Portrayed the mood of the score" for a good performance. For performances that are poor, use "needs work", or "needs more attention".
Don't use words you are not familiar with.
Don't say "wrong", but frame your comment in a positive manner.
Have a summary statement that is positive and encouraging.

We also got a quick checklist for "Stylistic Awareness" for various historical periods:
Baroque:
- Articulation - variety of touch
- Contrapuntal Texture - control of voicing, part playing, independence of hands
- Genre-specific character - "affect"
- Characteristic sound
- Ornamentation

Classical:
- Clarity of texture, balance
- Structural awareness
- Rhythmic discipline
- Dynamic contrast
- Variety of touch

Romantic:
- Personal expression, imagination
- Rubato, flexibility
- Use of pedal
- Phrasing, sensitivity to harmonic progression
- Descriptive, programmatic elements
- Tone color, voicing

Contemporary
- Fidelity to the score
- Rhythmic variety and complexity
- Sound exploration, tonal variety, color
- Discovering, projecting, and communicating within new musical language

Then we discussed various comment forms that the professor had collected over the years while judging exams and competitions. These are designed to make judging faster and more fair, and usually take the form of checklists with space for individual comments. For example:
Form Example 1:
- Posture and appearance
- Accuracy of notes
- Accuracy of rhythm
- Interpretation and dynamics
- Pedalling
- Memorization

Form Example 2:
- Accuracy
- Articulation
- Balance
- Dynamics
- Expression/Communication
- Memorization
- Pedal
- Phrasing
- Posture
- Rhythm
- Style
- Technique
- Tempo
- Tone Quality

Then we practiced. The teacher showed videos of 3 students (beginners), and we used one of the forms to judge them and make comments. We only got 2 minutes between students to comment. This was not easy, which showed that it was a good idea to prepare phrases beforehand. And also explains why my teacher makes notes while I play, something that always bothered me!

Hope that explains a little of what judging a competition or exam is like.

Sam

AB Forum Recital #2648078 05/29/17 06:14 AM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Really interesting, thanks Sam!

[Linked Image]
AB Forum Recital #2648081 05/29/17 06:27 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks Sam! I never thought about the pressure the examiner is under to write the comments quickly as well as listen closely. It sounds like your class was really interesting.

AB Forum Recital #2648461 05/30/17 03:26 AM
Z
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Z
I followed your suggestions for playing these with screwdriver and silent. But I don't feel any relation to how I play the piece normally...I dont have barbells...But would it work if I attached some weight to my wrists (with a rope) and use my fingers to press the notes?
No. smile I thought the screwdriver might prevent wrist motion and the working end encourage really soft playing but you taped it up!

What you need is something that shows how making all the motion from the elbow (or shoulder) uses a relaxed and motionless hand and wrist and has a very wide dynamic range capable of very soft and very loud playing. Playing with the fingers tends to involve more tension in the wrist to support the tendon movement and greater muscular effort and motion in the forearm. The former uses little motion in larger muscles to allow us to play for hours without tiring, the latter would fatigue the forearm muscles and build tension in a few minutes of Hanon, particularly the small extensor muscles that aren't really used much in piano playing (because we lift the arm rather than the fingers).

I downloaded the whole thing and pushed it in Audacity to see what we're really talking about.
Audacity is quite meaningless, really. The piano has no control over the sound once a note has been struck. What we hear is the ADSR envelope. The greater the attack the greater tends to be the initial decay. When we play a rising sequence of notes building up to the climax of a phrase we can build the dynamics with the accents given in the time signature and when the phrase falls towards the cadence we match each accented note to the sustain of the current one. We can hear it well enough without resorting to metrics software. On a string of small pearls (quiet notes), each pearl blends into the line of pearls. On Newton's cradle the individual balls (loud notes) are more distinct.

We can therefore tell how loud the playing is by the difference between the attacks and the sustains. Listen, for example, to the affect of the LH on Khatia's video between 2:15 and 2:30. The LH ripples gently with no dynamic interruption between the notes. In the RH cantilena each melody note sounds clearly above the accompaniment without upsetting the line. If we couldn't do this with our ears we wouldn't be able to control dynamics in our playing.

This matching of the attacks in a rising sequence and matching of the sustains in a descending sequence by deliberately listening is one of the skills we develop in scale playing.

Hand lifting, that's for me a big way to trigger a train wreck...
You may need to develop more arm control or less lift. All fingers off the keys is sufficient, hands at shoulder height is helpful now and then.

Try the RH of M2-5 taking the fingering I suggested but starting with your RH in your lap. Play the first note forte, the second mezzo and the third pianissimo then return your hand to your lap before before the second group and third groups.

Alternatively, or additionally, you might try moving the RH two beats to the right so the first figure begins on the downbeat of M3 and the third ends on the last beat of M5. You may notice, this way, that the articulation is easier to play correctly but the waltz is more staid. Tchaikovsky's syncopation gives us the desire to get up and dance.

Richard
AB Forum Recital #2648661 05/30/17 06:08 PM
K
K
Thanks everyone for all the kind words on my piece.

Here's some comments by me:

04. Whizbang (Chris) - Brejeiro
gotta love Nazareth smile I intend to play this piece for the next Latin themed recital, although I guess I might change it for something simpler. Your performance sounded quite flawless. Maybe I'd prefer a faster tempo, but that's just a matter of personal taste, and it's always nice to hear a different interpretation.

05. wouter79 - Waltz, Album for the Young, op.39 no.7
a nice waltz, mostly very clear and with a good tempo

09. Piano2138 - Minuet BWV Anh 116
very interesting listen. I'm not overly familiar with this piece so I might be mistaken, but I have the impression I hear some unevennes every now and then, but nothing major. I'm sure that you'll be playing it perfectly in no time with just a little bit more slow practice, and maybe adding ornaments. Keep up the good work.

10. barbaram - Nocturne no 20 in C# Minor
love this piece. It'll probably be the first Chopin's Nocturne that I'll study. You played it beautifully. Congrats.

11. UnderConstruction - Coracao que Sente
didn't know this one from Nazareth. Very good playing. Thanks for making me discover it.

13. AZ_Astro - Minuet in G Major - BWV 114
I think it could be more precise in points but I very much liked it, especially those cheerful ornaments.

14. Khopin - Waltz Op. 70 No. 1 in G flat
wow, your hands are dancing over those keys. Those trills are beautiful both to hear and to see.

15. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - River Flows In You
another piece that I'd like to tackle in the future. Extremely well played.

18. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - TRAUMEREI
it's improvable from the technical standpoint, yet I was quite rapt by the piece and felt that you played with a lot of feeling

22. Alexander Borro - Gnossiennes No 2
congratulations, I think note-wise it's perfect. I would apply some more dynamic and tempo variation, though.

23. dumka1 - Venetian Boat Song, op. 30 no. 6
hauntingly beautiful piece. Besides the already mentioned pedaling, I can't find any flaws.

25. Jerzyk19 - Largo in E Flat Major
very interesting, didn't know this one, nice playing

26. cmb13 - Prelude 28.4 E min
very good.

29. h8dk97 - Prelude, Op. 28, No. 4
very emotional, very much enjoyable

35. zsolpyW - Etude g minor
another nice discovery. Both piece and author were unknown to me. The piece sounds beautiful and looks hard to play, kudos to you.

44. luckiest_charm - Minute Waltz
slower rendition than I'm used to hear, but very enjoyable performance. There's still room for improvement but that's very understandable considering how little time you had been playing it before this recital.

45. J Soo - La cathedrale engloutie
damn fine performance. You wrote "plenty of mistakes" and although I know the piece I'm not super familiar with it, but still I really couldn't understand where these mistakes were smile

Last edited by Kalos Piano; 05/30/17 06:08 PM.
AB Forum Recital #2648665 05/30/17 06:21 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
38. SwissMS- fun and refreshing to listen to. Just delightful playing!

39. Sam- WOW Sam! One take and from memory. I'm mighty impressed.

42. Piano primo
- I don't usually get into the "synth strings " thing but that really works here. Well done.

Sam S #2648672 05/30/17 06:53 PM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Sam S
Originally Posted by Riddler

Ed

I'm taking 4 semesters of Piano Pedagogy. We touch on all aspects of teaching, some of it in great detail (student teaching, for instance) and some of it for one class period. We covered adjudication in one class in the second semester. It was in the context of judging a student competition or exam, in which you typically have a couple of minutes to write your comments before the next student comes in to play.

Here are some of my notes:
Sam

Thanks, Sam, very interesting. And intimidating. I don't think I'd want to be a judge. Or a competitor!

I've been to some jazz competitions, and often disagree with the judges, but I have no methodology - it's just about what I like/don't like. For jazz, originality is one of the most important criteria, which makes it all very subjective.

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

AB Forum Recital #2648747 05/30/17 09:56 PM
P
P
Thank you to all who made this recital possible!
Thank you to all who gave me their feedback and encouragement!

I’ve listen the performances of all participants, but I am still trying to find some time writing my comments (as a listener, not really technical ones).

Slowly, Separately, Sections - Graham Fitch
My SoundCloud
AB Forum Recital #2648781 05/31/17 01:02 AM
H
H
Thanks very much everyone who commented on my submission. I don't feel I can provide any valuable comments at this stage but I did enjoy listening.

AB Forum Recital #2649150 06/01/17 09:09 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
47. MeganR.- Nicely done Megan. Very lively and fun!

46. Richard- Always a pleasure to hear you play. You could back off this for weeks and come back and it will still stay good... smile I really like your touch and your dynamics. You really bring out the feeling of this work. Great recording too.

45. J Soo- Wow, beautifully played!! What a nice sound too for an electric piano.

AB Forum Recital #2649897 06/03/17 08:37 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'm slowly getting through all of these. Here are a few more.

28. CarlosCC - In Principio

Very nice. I'm a fan of Einaudi. Always enjoy listening to his music.

29. h8dk97 - Prelude, Op. 28, No. 4

I didn't hear any mistakes smile I thought it sounded very nice.

30. Ralphiano / Ralph - An Evening Tale

Well played, Ralph. I enjoyed listening to it. I wish I could provide more technical feedback. I find that hard to do sometimes, especially without being able to read the music at the same time as listening. Your interpretation sounded very good.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]
AB Forum Recital #2649967 06/03/17 11:58 AM
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Ralphiano, MarieJ, barbaram, Peyton, UnderConstruction, JSoo, MeganR, SwissMS, casinitaly, cmb13, SMA55, Riddler, bSharp(C)yclist, zrtf90, peterws, Tubbie0075, piano primo 1, Kalos Piano, thanks for listening and commenting!

Peyton, you mentioned your wife was humming the piece. Does she ever hum your pieces? If not, perhaps we could swap spouses one weekend, strictly for appreciative-audience purposes! Spouses are truly the unsung heroes in any piano household.

casinitaly, I've made the same counting mistake in front of a room of 500 people, so you are correct to question my counting skills.

peterws, I'll raise one to your dad!

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
AB Forum Recital #2650020 06/03/17 02:09 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hopefully I can finish commenting on these this weekend. Here are a few more.

31. fishandchips - Suite in D Minor, BuxWV 233 - Allemande d'Amour

This composer is new to me. Sounded very nice!

32. SandTiger - Echoes of the Seven

I'm embarrased to say I've never seen an episode of Game of Thrones smile Regardless, well done!

33. Tubbie0075 - Gavotte, BWV816

I was reading the additional info while listening and the track ended before I was halfway through smile I understand now after reading all of it. Sounds very nice, I'd like to try that one day. It's level 7 in RCM, maybe a few years down the road for me.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]
AB Forum Recital #2650321 06/04/17 11:37 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Getting there. Hopefully I'll finish before the next recital smile

34. Zoot64 - Tempo di Menuetto: No. 3

Another new one to me. Sounded very nice.

I thought it was great. I enjoyed watching the video. Nice lepoard skin ;0

36. yamaha G3 & P80 - Forgotten Fairytales

Catchy. I could listen to that over and over.

37. Zilthy - Folk Dance No 6

YouTube link is broken, but I found it. Nice job!

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]
AB Forum Recital #2650336 06/04/17 12:31 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Finally some time to do some comments about the recital. Congratulations to all!

18. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - TRAUMEREI
Sweet playing and, as far as I can see, this is something you like from heart. I'm not an expert in classical composers like you, but I know this theme of Schumann and it's one of my favourites. I will be begging you to play this in *live* mode, so keep it in your repertoire! Congratulations!

03. Peyton - Three Romances, Opus 28 #2
Another wonderful piece. Schumann knew how to write beautiful pieces, and your playing is a "lesson" about how to play something so deep. Very good!

38. SwissMS - Sonata in B minor Kp 377 (to do)
Wow, what a sound! That Bosendorfer is really something wonderful. And, as usual, the way you play never disappoints me, so I'm absolute positive that you'll do all the ABRSM grades soon with distinction. You deserve it. Thank you for being an example for most of us. Congratulations!

06. Monica K. - Drop Variation
The problem with most of the pieces of the last album (Elements) is that most of them needs some background support to give some "body" to the theme. On the contrary this variation is a great solo arrangement that works perfectly for the listener. Monica, once again, your playing is wonderful and inspirational. Thank you!

39. Sam S - Sonata K332-1
Great playing in this far from easy piece of Mozart. I love Mozart but I think that it will take "a lot" of time to be able to play something like this. Congratulations!

12. peterws - Simple Song
Amazing how you can keep playing and improvising based on a couple of "sounds" and ideas. Add to this gift to a great control of all the aspects of playing piano. something I'd like to have. Great work!

17. jazztpt - At The Edge Of The Lake
I believe I can recognize your unique style among any set of pieces, which is something wonderful. I won't say you're an amateur anymore, because IMO this is not a work of an "amateur". It's always a pleasure to listen your works. What a great source of inspiration.... Thank you!

10. barbaram - Nocturne no 20 in C# Minor
Yes, be happy with this one barbaram - why not??? This is great playing in a hard piece. I like it very much, Good work!

21. Ganddalf - The Dream of Olwen
Amateur...? No way Gandalf. as a listener, this is outstanding and a pleasure to listen. Very, very good!

42. Piano_Primo - Hymnal Praise Composer Arron Williams
This is new for me, and I like the mix of instruments you use in this one. Small but well played piece. Good job!

08. MarieJ - Fairytale
I know this one and IMO it's one of the most lovely and beautiful pieces by Einaudi. Only those who have attempted this piece knows how difficult is to keep the listener engaged along the entire piece and you did it in a wonderful way. You're progressing very very well MarieJ. Thanks for sharing this.

46. Richard (zrtf90) - Allegretto in C Minor, D. 915
You're one of the masters here Richard. This is a pro job. Congratulations!

22. Alexander Borro - Gnossiennes No 2
I was looking forward to listen you playing this Gnossiennes and let me tell this is very very good Alexander. What a pleasure to listen this no.2. After Einaudi, this is what I was expecting from you. Congratulations on your 10th recital. Good work!

48. stumbler / Dave - Miss Graham's Jigg
Nice version Dave. I don't know the original but, as a listener, this is too pleasant to listen to. Good work!

13. AZ_Astro - Minuet in G Major - BWV 114
This is a famous Minuet with some technical challenges to deal with but you did it very well. Good job!

40. JoBert - Album Leaf (Opus 99, No. 4)
Good choice. I like this piece and the "quite slow" rhythm works perfectly well. Thanks for sharing!

47. MeganR - Musette BWV Anh 126
I'm not a big fan of Bach but I think you did a very good job. Loved the syncopated rhythm of this one which you keep along the entire piece. Good work!

30. Ralphiano / Ralph - An Evening Tale
Smart choice Ralph. Not only for trying pieces at "your level" but for choosing such a beautiful one - new for me. And your playing is getting better and better. Good job, and thanks for bringing this to us.

19. sinophilia - Dear Little Sister
A beautiful piece indeed. And your playing is wonderful underlining the melody along the entire work. Very good!

11. UnderConstruction - Coração que Sente
Yes, "heart that feels" it's a typical theme around Brazilian sources of inspiration, and Nazareth is a master composing such lovely pieces. What a great playing. Good work and thanks for bringing this!

04. Whizbang (Chris) - Brejeiro
Another great compositions of Nazareth. This one it's more "Brazilian" than the previous one (UnderConstruction #11) and you play it with the right feeling and rhythm. Very good Chris!

15. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - River Flows In You
Dan, I love this piece of Yiruma and you play it beautifully! This piece belongs to my (long) "to-do" list but after listening this record I think I'm going to push it to the top of that list; I want to play this one soon! Thanks for sharing and thanks for remind me that this piece exist.

45. J Soo - La cathedrale engloutie
You gave the exact voices to this theme; I mean, if "engloutie" means "sunken" then I think that there isn't other way to play this piece. Very very good.

01. SMA55 (Shepherd Abrams) - 2 Lyric pieces named "Melody", Op 47 No 3 and Op 38 No 3
I don't care about the sound quality of the records... this is not a recital made by/for sound engineers but a rectal for those who love music and have passion for piano. And, you're a great example of it! What a great couple of pieces, Shephred. A pleasure for the listeners with those clear melody sounds. Good job, thanks for sharing.

02. blackjack1777 - Sonatina in G Major, Anh. 5 No. 1
Oh, 2 hours each session is a good way to progress well. I must practice more... 2 1/2 years and you're playing Beethoven like this? Very, very good!

07. Riddler (Ed) - Reflections
What I like in your playing is the (apparent) relaxed way you play, Ed. That gives a good mood to the listener which is something few can do. Very good job!

09. Piano2138 - Minuet BWV Anh 116
Another Bach Minuet that I'm familiar after joining ABF. You play it well, with the right rhythm, which I think it's important in this genre of music. Good work!

27. KalosPiano - Invention N. 2 in C Minor, BWV 773
This piece kept my attention along the entire piece. I'm not a big fan of Batch but I think you did a wonderful job with this, maintaining the right rhythm. Good job.

33. Tubbie0075 - Gavotte, BWV816
Another Bach and I like the tempo you choose for this (far orm easy) piece. Good work.

26. cmb13 - Prelude 28.4 E min
What a great start! 3.5 years and you're playing Chopin like this? Wonderful job! Welcome to ABF recitals.

23. dumka1 - Venetian Boat Song, op. 30 no. 6
I think you play this in the right rhythm, and it's really a pleasure to liste to. Welcome to ABF recitals!

24. Ralph L. - Island of dreams (pop)
What a surpise wink I wasn't expecting this! Cool, fresh and well produced! Welcome to ABF recitals.

25. Jerzyk19 - Largo in E Flat Major
Chopin... 8 months of experience. I need to practice more. Very good, nice playing! Welcome to ABF recitals.

31. fishandchips - Suite in D Minor, BuxWV 233 - Allemande d'Amour
Well played, consistent and relaxed performance. Good job and Welcome to ABF recitals.

Nowakowski and this Etude are new for me, so thanks for sharing this one. Good joba and Welcome to ABF recitals.

37. Zilthy - Folk Dance No 6
What a nice piece! Love this one from Bartok. Amazing for only 2 months of experience. Very good! Welcome to ABF recitals.

43. Muove - L'enterrement du pouppee
True, we're still growing in this journey, and you are in the right path! Good job and welcome to ABF recitals.

44. luckiest_charm - Minute Waltz
I love Chopin so I'm glad you start your participation in ABF recitals with this Waltz. Good job and welcome to ABF Recitals!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Parents wanting more work - student not ready/interested
by Kyle J. Smith - 01/18/21 06:24 PM
Kurzweil ka130 vs Casio px770 vs...
by Ninchie007 - 01/18/21 04:45 PM
Refurb or Trade for a Rebuild
by brdwyguy - 01/18/21 04:22 PM
VST Spreadsheet not Available on Sticky Thread
by Harpuia - 01/18/21 02:57 PM
Roland FP Advice
by LongTimeNoSee - 01/18/21 01:49 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,366
Posts3,048,621
Members100,115
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission