2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,986 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 30 of 60 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 59 60
B
Brendan Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
B
From

The

Rope

S
S
Well ladies and gentlemen, that was a master right there.

I really am speechless.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Didn't hear everything, but what I did of Dasol Kim is ready for Carnegie Hall!

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Very close to tears at the beauty of his Schubert. Masterful. And he has such a gracious stage presence, entering and leaving, facial expressions are not clownish, etc. I am able to watch him as well as listen. I didn't want that recital to end.

V
V
I think that Dasol Kim is perhaps the most refined of all the pianists there but Sunwoo is just almost neck and neck with him in this regard, and since they have such similar strengths I wonder if they are going to cancel one another out to the benefit of Favorin, who is a notably different kind of pianist. Like when two actors from the same movie get nominated for the same Oscar it often goes to someone else.

S
S
Originally Posted by vers la flan
I think that Dasol Kim is perhaps the most refined of all the pianists there but Sunwoo is just almost neck and neck with him in this regard, and since they have such similar strengths I wonder if they are going to cancel one another out to the benefit of Favorin, who is a notably different kind of pianist. Like when two actors from the same movie get nominated for the same Oscar it often goes to someone else.

I still think Dasol has the more refined temperament. Yekwon is slick but does let expressive devices get the better of him sometimes. He's not unlike Seong Jin-Cho, whom I regard as great but not a fully developed artist like Dasol. Yet.

B
Brendan Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
B

Good point. This very well could end up with a bronze/silver split and a gold to an underdog - Favorin, Pierdomenico, or Broberg. I think Hsu took himself out tonight.

V
V
Dasol Kim is my hard chosen favorite. And yet, Favorin's quarterfinal performance was one of the most spellbinding recitals I think I've ever heard. This is a really tough one to rank.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Dasol Kim is my hard chosen favorite. And yet, Favorin's quarterfinal performance was one of the most spellbinding recitals I think I've ever heard. This is a really tough one to rank.

Dasol is "a pianist's pianist." Favorin is too, but has that broader appeal. It will be interesting to see what happens. How does Favorin do with Mozart, and does he overpower in chamber music?

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
I still think, at this point, that Favorin has the edge in artistry on Dasol Kim, as wonderful as Kim's recital was tonight. For me Favorin has that almost impossible to describe wow factor. I feel like Kim has broader appeal than Favorin. This is why I would be happy, although somewhat surprised, if Favorin won gold or silver. I just feel like he's a bit too in his own esoteric universe.

V
V
Any love for Chen? He seems to get kind of lost in the shuffle but I think he has a really nice ear for rhythm and sense of structure. I doubt he's going to win but he's a dark horse to place for me.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by 17curleyj
Originally Posted by MikeN
Hmm, I kinda wonder what's going through Hamelin's head considering he was one of the major players in bring Kapustin's music to the public's attention.

I've been thinking about this too. I'm sure it must be stressful for the competitors playing Kapustin to know they are playing for the man who brought Kapustin's work to the public's attention and is known as the premier (besides Kapustin himself) performer and recorder of his music.

Actually, Steven Osborne's all Kapustin CD on the Hyperion label came out first, some years before Hamelin's Kapustin CD. And Osborne's was the one I bought.

Does Hamelin still program Kapustin? If so, it's slipped under my radar (which, admittedly, would be easy to do).

About it being stressful for a competitor to play it in front of Hamelin - I'm assuming having Hamelin there was the main reason it was chosen.

K
K

The Cliburn voting differs from the Oscar voting in one key respect. To quote the official regulations:

Originally Posted by Jury Handbook
Should none of the competitors attain at least half of the votes of the jurors entitled to vote and who did vote in the Final Round, then a further ballot shall be held to decide between the two competitors with the most votes.

This has the effect of cutting down on vote splitting. Even if A and B split votes enough to let C take a lead after the first round, C won't benefit from vote splitting in the run off.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by Brendan
For me, programming Schubert this late in the competition smacks as a way of mitigating the endurance requirements. Often, Schubert's music is on a lesser technical level than Beethoven or Mozart (unless you're programming the Wanderer or the late A major or D major) - it's a way of eating up 30-40 minutes with minimal commitment. Unless you can make a supremely artistic statement with it, the reason is obvious.
But doesn't your statement assume that endurance is a very important consideration? I'm not convinced most pianists perform programs with pieces that all demand super virtuosity. I wouldn't be so interested in that kind of recital.

B
Brendan Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
For me, programming Schubert this late in the competition smacks as a way of mitigating the endurance requirements. Often, Schubert's music is on a lesser technical level than Beethoven or Mozart (unless you're programming the Wanderer or the late A major or D major) - it's a way of eating up 30-40 minutes with minimal commitment. Unless you can make a supremely artistic statement with it, the reason is obvious.
But doesn't your statement assume that endurance is a very important consideration? I'm not convinced most pianists perform programs with pieces that all demand super virtuosity. I wouldn't be so interested in that kind of recital.

Sure, endurance is a big part of this competition. I think last night's recitals underscored the point - one candidate's Schubert didn't seem fully prepared or thought through and the other really knocked it out of the park and made it the centerpiece of his otherwise very difficult program. In this case, the reasoning seemed obvious for both players.

Online Content

Sure, endurance is a big part of this competition. I think last night's recitals underscored the point - one candidate's Schubert didn't seem fully prepared or thought through and the other really knocked it out of the park and made it the centerpiece of his otherwise very difficult program. In this case, the reasoning seemed obvious for both players.
Do you mean physical endurance or being able to have a large amount of repertoire ready at the highest level? It sounds to me like you are talking about the latter.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M

I think I have a different definition of endurance though, which I'm not entirely certain if it puts me in agreement with you or not.

I don't believe any of these pianists are walking away from the "practice room" with aching fingers, and if they are shame on them. With the exception of maybe two or three competitors, of whom I would not consider Dasol Kim to be included in, their techniques are simply too good for that. I think the endurance aspect is more of a mental thing. How long can you keep your focus and concentration and keep the quality of playing from dropping? Furthermore, I think this is also a question of who has the most well formed and well prepped repertoire they they can perform reliably. Here, one can assume the older competitors have an advantage. I guess this would put me in disagreement with you, most definitely in regards to Kim as I imagine the Schubert Sonata to be just as demanding as anything else he's programed. In the case of Hsu...maybe.

I'd sooner say competitors were trying to make time to practice their concertos than having endurance issues.

Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by 17curleyj
Originally Posted by MikeN
Hmm, I kinda wonder what's going through Hamelin's head considering he was one of the major players in bring Kapustin's music to the public's attention.

I've been thinking about this too. I'm sure it must be stressful for the competitors playing Kapustin to know they are playing for the man who brought Kapustin's work to the public's attention and is known as the premier (besides Kapustin himself) performer and recorder of his music.

Actually, Steven Osborne's all Kapustin CD on the Hyperion label came out first, some years before Hamelin's Kapustin CD. And Osborne's was the one I bought.

Does Hamelin still program Kapustin? If so, it's slipped under my radar (which, admittedly, would be easy to do).

About it being stressful for a competitor to play it in front of Hamelin - I'm assuming having Hamelin there was the main reason it was chosen.

Hence I said Hamelin was one of the major players, but as you point out that's arguable. He's recorded a CD and a 3rd or so of Kapustin's music if I remember correctly. I also don't think he programs any of Kapustin's music any more...at least he hasn't in a while. Of course, I haven't heard of Hamelin programming any Rzewski or Alkan lately either. He's just seems the sort of pianist who likes to move along to playing other things that interest him.

Also, if you do a quick YouTube search on Kim, I think there's enough evidence to say that he's been playing that Kapustin Etude for a while. Long enough to say that it's unlikely he learned it with any real thought to playing it in front of Hamelin, yes?

I guess I should also mention that my initial comment was made with more of a thought of whether Hamelin thinks he's made such an impact as to be listening to Kapustin on the jury of a competition about 2 decades after association with the rather unknown works of Kapustin. That's got to be a bit of a twilight zone moment. Imagine if Favorin programmed a major Alkan work as he did last year, if I recall?

B
Brendan Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
B
A clarification on the endurance thing:

Physical endurance is a part of it, yes. It's not just juggling all of that repertoire, but the energy required to perform so many times in a short time span is very draining. Even though some of the competitors make it look easy, performing is stressful, especially in this setting.

That coupled with the emotional and mental strain, being constantly followed everywhere by cameras for the documentary, waiting for the announcement, and having to practice/rehearse all day every day makes a competition such as this an absolutely hellish thing to endure. When I attended PianoTexas during the 2005 competition (we had to attend every round and every recital), one of the professors there said that many of the competitors were developing arm/hand problems from all of the strain. So, it's a big factor of this competition as it progresses and is something to consider.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
A clarification on the endurance thing:

Physical endurance is a part of it, yes. It's not just juggling all of that repertoire, but the energy required to perform so many times in a short time span is very draining. Even though some of the competitors make it look easy, performing is stressful, especially in this setting.

That coupled with the emotional and mental strain, being constantly followed everywhere by cameras for the documentary, waiting for the announcement, and having to practice/rehearse all day every day makes a competition such as this an absolutely hellish thing to endure. When I attended PianoTexas during the 2005 competition (we had to attend every round and every recital), one of the professors there said that many of the competitors were developing arm/hand problems from all of the strain. So, it's a big factor of this competition as it progresses and is something to consider.

It seems we are more or less on the same page. I'd argue that if competitors are developing hand and arm problems that there's something off with how they're approaching the instrument to begin with. You never hear about Argerich or Berman or Hamelin having injuries and I definitely think there's a reason for this. We have heard of Lang Lang getting injured which for me isn't surprising. We've also heard of Yuja Wang injuring herself, but I only recall that happening once during a season where she was performing Prok 2, and it seems to me that she's since changed the way she plays it. It seems she's found ways to mitigate the amount of impact the hands are subjected to which, coming from someone else with skinny fingers and very spindly build, is a real concern in virtuoso repertoire.

I can definitely see where there would be issues with injury though. How many pianists are really so economical and efficient as the best pianists in the world? Not many in my opinion...not even in this competition.

Last edited by MikeN; 06/02/17 01:50 PM.
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
The recital times have changed and I can only watch a couple a day, which is good enough for me. If I am understanding, they are all playing each a recital they chose and a Mozart concert for the semifinals?

Hmm but I won't be able to watch the finals live! They are all in the middle of my night. frown

Page 30 of 60 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 59 60

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission