Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
104 registered members (bennevis, barbaram, anotherscott, Amedeus, Barkos, beeboss, ALEXANDER DYKER, 23 invisible), 1,474 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
KAWAI GE30, Cristofori 4'10" or Young Chang TG150 #2649297
06/01/17 07:04 PM
06/01/17 07:04 PM
Central MN
S
ScottL Offline OP
ScottL  Offline OP
S
Central MN
Hi all

Have a question and hoping someone here can help. Upgrading from an Everett upright to a Baby Grand. The models we are looking at are the Kawai GE 30, Young Chang TG150(?), Or a Cristofori 4'10". All about the same price ($5000-6000), all used, the Kawai is 10 yes old with a single owner. Cristofori is 6 yes old with a single owner, and the Young Chang is 15 yes old. All in excellent shape. Getting it for a 12 yr old daughter who loves playing, and want to upgrade.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Thx

Re: KAWAI GE30, Cristofori 4'10" or Young Chang TG150 [Re: ScottL] #2649328
06/01/17 08:43 PM
06/01/17 08:43 PM
H
huaidongxi Offline
1000 Post Club Member
huaidongxi  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
H
there are a few exceptions, but small grands under 160 cm. or so (the kawai is 165 cm) are not usually the best instruments offered by the company building them. kawai has the best track record/reputation for making good small grands out of the three candidates. didn't know that Cristofori has even made pianos for six years -- their web site does not disclose where they're built ; from the description the factory is very likely in china, maybe Pearl River or one of the Parsons facilities. there is another chinese grand under five feet that has had some favorable reviews, Ritmueller, so it's conceivable there are decent grands 150 cm or shorter around other than Bluethners. there are probably professional level uprights used around the same price as the Young Chang that are better pianos. the kawai would be easiest to trade in or resell, if you should later want a bigger grand.

does your daughter have a preference between the pianos, or do you play yourself and have your own impressions ?

Re: KAWAI GE30, Cristofori 4'10" or Young Chang TG150 [Re: huaidongxi] #2649372
06/01/17 10:16 PM
06/01/17 10:16 PM
Central MN
S
ScottL Offline OP
ScottL  Offline OP
S
Central MN
Like the Kawais. Unfortunately spending$20k on a piano is not in the cards at this moment. If she stays as interested as she's seen so far we can upgrade in a few years. At least that my opinion.

If this doesn't seem to be a feasible price point I'll need to rethink my original idea and see where the price break for something that is going to not cause headaches in a year or so.

Re: KAWAI GE30, Cristofori 4'10" or Young Chang TG150 [Re: ScottL] #2649438
06/02/17 01:27 AM
06/02/17 01:27 AM
H
huaidongxi Offline
1000 Post Club Member
huaidongxi  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
H
your original post didn't give the price of the kawai GE30 as $20 k., but that does not surprise me. if you need to stick with your budget around $6 k. (similar to my situation when we were looking for a second piano for early a.m. practice sessions), it really depends on your market, but someone who posted here recently found a not too old, top level kawai upright (52 in., fuller sounding than many grands under 150 cm.) for < $5k. in the LA metro area. if you can't fit a medium size grand (the next size range above the GE 30, about 170-190 cm), you might keep your eyes open for a Baldwin model M (158 cm). some Everett uprights are decent, dependable instruments, others not quite, so it's difficult to say what a professional level, tall upright might offer you, or whether the entry level small grands would be a big step up.

Re: KAWAI GE30, Cristofori 4'10" or Young Chang TG150 [Re: huaidongxi] #2649492
06/02/17 09:05 AM
06/02/17 09:05 AM
Central MN
S
ScottL Offline OP
ScottL  Offline OP
S
Central MN
Al the original pianos listed were in the $5-6k range, What I meant was I didn't want to spend $20 k on a new GE30 or similar.

Thought about the uprights as well, but have longed for a grand for years. Very conflicted at the moment.

Re: KAWAI GE30, Cristofori 4'10" or Young Chang TG150 [Re: ScottL] #2649652
06/02/17 04:17 PM
06/02/17 04:17 PM
H
huaidongxi Offline
1000 Post Club Member
huaidongxi  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
H
if you've hoped for a grand, don't settle for anything shorter than the GE 30, unless you're convinced a particular mini grand is an exceptional instrument. with that predisposition, my hunch is the next size up (the 170 cm. +, not baby grands in other words) might give you the most long term satisfaction. best thing to do is simply look at and play them, comparing with the GE30, even if they're a bit out of budget, to find out if the differences are meaningful for you. was impressed by how GE30s sounded in sample recordings, but that's just one aspect of an instrument, obviously. mentioned before, the kawai could be traded or resold much more easily than the other two, if a larger piano is practicable in the future. in our compact bungalow (smaller than many apartments) my initial search for a piano was for a very good upright, and my dear spouse explained she'd wanted a grand since taking lessons on one as a child. we ended up rescuing a seven foot, golden age mason & hamlin. she loves it.

New In Our Store!
New In Our Store!
key racks with hand sanitizer
Attn: Piano Teachers, Music Teachers, Studios!

A rack made from actual piano keys, with individual hand sanitizer for each student!
Tons more music related products in our online store!
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai CA93 - from Japanese to English
by PollyChang. 09/24/18 07:34 AM
Full-size console digital piano dust cover for keys
by eighty80eights8s. 09/24/18 05:45 AM
37% of Piano Teachers Struggle To Find th
by Finchcocks. 09/24/18 02:48 AM
AndrĂ¡s Schiff Live at Carnegie Hall
by deerfield. 09/24/18 01:46 AM
Intermediate/ Early-Adanced Jumping Keyboard Exercises?
by MacMorrighan. 09/23/18 11:57 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,461
Posts2,747,464
Members91,080
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission