Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

What's Hot!!
Welcome PianoTV members!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
102 registered members (accordeur, Anita Potter, ando, ADIRL, akc42, 31 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2649119 - 06/01/17 08:02 AM Yamaha CLP-685 - First Impressions  
m1ch4L Offline
m1ch4L  Offline

Vienna, Austria
Hello everyone.

I have been thinking about buying a digital piano for over a year now. Half a year ago, I tried the top of the line digitals of the major brands, including Kawai CS 11, Roland LX-17, Yamaha CLP-585 and Casio GP-500. I also tried the Yamaha N-1 with a real grand keyboard and couldn't settle with any of the other digital pianos since then. However, the N-1 exceeds the budget I am willing to spend right now. Besides the N1, my favourite was the Yamaha CLP-585, but I couldn't quite fall in love with the keys. So for the past 6 months, I have been waiting for the successor, the Yamaha Clavinova CLP-685.

Today, I got a chance to play the CLP-685 for a bit and wanted to share my first impressions. I would also appreciate comments, impressions and reviews from all who already got a chance to play the new CLP-685.

I must say, I was impressed, or to put it in more appropriate words... there was nothing that particularly bothered or annoyed me ...as was the case with all aforementioned digital pianos. As I wrote in another post, with all of the other digital pianos, there was something that ruined it for me... Casio - didn't like the keys which are too light for my taste; Kawai CS 11 - the bass is too booming and overall sound a bit "muddy"; Roland - keys felt a bit plastic-y and although I liked the modeled sound at first, I kind of got over it when playing it again; Yamaha 585 - loved the sound, keys didn't match my preference, in particular when compared to the N1, which in the end I was considering to buy despite the price difference; N1 - expensive. I don't want to imply that any of these pianos are bad, they are all excellent digital pianos, but with each one of them there was something that was not to my very personal liking. I find the CLP-685 so good that I am not considering the N1 anymore. Of course the keys of the N1 are better, but the CLP-685 is also really really good and for my needs the difference is too small to justify the higher price of the N1 (and the N1 lacks all the bells and whistles which I would like to have as well... and yes, I know, there are reasons why the N1 doesn't have the bells and whistles... targets different customer base etc... I know I know; still, it's 2017, I want all digital functionality/connectivity available).

With the CLP-685 the overall experience was simply enjoyable and nice. Sure, it didn't feel quite the same as a real grand or the Yamaha N1, but it was pleasant and felt natural. The keys were responsive and for the first time, I did not feel like I was playing on "plastic" keys or fake mechanics (I know some of the models mentioned above have wooden keys, the feel is still off when compared to a real grand piano, due to mechanics - IMHO). The keyboard of the CLP-685 is the best in all digitals I tried (except for those with a real piano keyboard such as the N1). I also compared the keyboard of the 685 against the 675 and I find the difference to be huge. After playing on the 685 for approximately 20 minutes, the mechanics of the keys on the 675 didn't feel right. When compared to the 685 they felt (for lack of a better word) like plastic. The counterweights in the 685 make - in my opinion - a huge difference (just as they did in the 585 when compared to the 575).

The other aspects were also pleasant, as said before, there was nothing that really bothered or annoyed me. I find the sound good both over speakers and headphones. The binaural samples over headphones are pleasant (didn't actually try the normal ones with headphones). Speakers make a nice voluminous sound. The keys are superb in my opinion. Everything just felt natural. By the way, I also tried to play some popular music over bluetooth... and it sounded great.

With the CLP-685, everything felt balanced and I enjoyed the overall experience a lot. Not a real piano, not a real grand piano, but very very close with nothing annoying to ruin the joy of playing and listening to it. All of this is of course based on my personal taste and preference. I am pretty sure I'm gonna buy it soon. In Vienna, the polished ebony version should be shipping by the end of July.

I would love to hear about your hands-on impressions of the CLP-685.

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

#2649170 - 06/01/17 10:02 AM Re: Yamaha CLP-685 - First Impressions [Re: m1ch4L]  
Patrik Raw Offline
Patrik Raw  Offline

(I wrote a pm to you)

#2650226 - 06/04/17 03:17 AM Re: Yamaha CLP-685 - First Impressions [Re: m1ch4L]  
Canonbury Offline
Canonbury  Offline

Germany
M1ch4l,
Thanks for your review. A few weeks ago, I had the chance to testplay the older 5** line of Yamaha, the 6** line was not available yet. My favourite would be the CLP *75, because for me personally the keyboards were not that much different to justify the price difference.

What bothered me pretty much on both though, was the Bösendorfer Sound. Whereas I liked the CFX right from the start without tweaking, the Bösendorfer sounded just dull, flat and muffled. As the marketing of Yamaha makes quite a fuss about it, my expectations were definitely higher. The vendor told me, that in particular the Bösendorfer would be much improved in the 6** line-up.
Vendors promise a lot :-), what do you think about that sound?

---------------------------------------------------------------
Casio Celviano AP620 - to be replaced soon
Kawai ES8 & JBL LSR 305 speakers
#2650245 - 06/04/17 05:40 AM Re: Yamaha CLP-685 - First Impressions [Re: Canonbury]  
peterws Offline
6000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
I tried the CLP600's and they sounded nicer than the previous series imo. Bosendorfer not good. I guess I'm after a particular sound, so if I don't get it I move on. There's got to be loads of improvement on all these models with on board menus and that, so first impressions can be misleading in the extreme.
Pleasantly surprised by the cheaper end, though, and the cabinets looked well and solid. To be honest, I never even noticed the keyboard, though that was one of the reasons for wanting to try 'em. In essence, I can only shrug and be thankful that in my case, it probably makes no difference anyway.
They had an acoustic Kawai grand which I also tried. No problem playing it, but there's no graphic equaliser or individual key volume control. Obviously a manufacturing oversight which will be dealt with on later models . . .

So I didn't buy.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2650389 - 06/04/17 03:19 PM Re: Yamaha CLP-685 - First Impressions [Re: peterws]  
spanishbuddha Offline
3000 Post Club Member
spanishbuddha  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

UK
Originally Posted by peterws

They had an acoustic Kawai grand which I also tried. No problem playing it, but there's no graphic equaliser or individual key volume control. Obviously a manufacturing oversight which will be dealt with on later models . . .

So I didn't buy.

Ha ha, but I think you missed it, it's in your own hands on those models. wink

#2650429 - 06/04/17 05:00 PM Re: Yamaha CLP-685 - First Impressions [Re: m1ch4L]  
Rosewood17 Offline
Silver Subscriber
Rosewood17  Offline
Silver Subscriber

United States
Thanks for the review. It is always interesting to hear about hands-on experiences with new models.

Roland LX-7
Started lessons in April, 2017
In progress: Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course: Lesson-Theory-Technic: Level 2 | Fundamentals of Piano Theory - Level 2 | Hanon: The Virtuoso Pianist in 60 Exercises
#2654586 - 06/18/17 11:17 AM Re: Yamaha CLP-685 - First Impressions [Re: m1ch4L]  
Alan Shore Offline
Alan Shore  Offline

Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Dear m1ch4L, dear All,

Joining the conversation because I had the opportunity yesterday to try out Yamaha N1, N2 and N3x as well as CLP-685, Roland LX-17 and Kawai CS11 at Bauer Music, (www.bauer-music.de) located just outside of Frankfurt. Btw, great store with extremely versed staff, and, if you are looking for virtually all dps on the market, the right address for DE and AT. For all others, all instruments can be listened to on their website, which is a nice gadget, even though every instrument should ofc be tried out live.

Executive summary: IMHO, for the category dp, up to or roundabout EUR 4,000, the CS11 is the right dp to at least consider, if not purchase. The N-series (digital mini-grands) are ok, but for that kind of money, go for something else.

Details with focus on the IMHO two most important categories: 1. touch/feel and 2. sound, all from my perspective and regardless of manufacturer's specs:
With almost 25 years of playing the piano, both classical (Rachmaninov, Chopin) and Jazz (mainly Oscar Peterson and Art Tatum), I was looking for a good dp reproducing a grand piano feeling, as I have almost exclusively played on such instruments. Currently, however, my working hours do not allow for acoustic piano playing and a silent grand piano is momentarily to expensive, as I am still an associate and not a partner in the law firm I work at ;-).

1. Touch/feel:
Roland LX-17: feels and plays like a digital piano, nowhere near clp-685 and/or cs11 (no counterweight could be felt, no escapement action, mediocre key quality (full plastic), did not respond well at all to fast, repetitive notes like played in Grande Valse Brillante or Moszkowski etudes).
Yamaha CLP-685: I had high hopes because CLP-675 had a fairly nice action and I hoped for an improvement. In fact, I went to Bauer in order to confirm my preference for Yamaha and buy a clp-685. However: ok action, but still feels a bit artificial. Has a very mechanical, hard feel to it and does not really replicate a grand piano action, not even Yamaha's own grand pianos, which are quite good starting with C2X (ok, have to be toned down a bit because sometimes too bright but that is another topic). It feels more like an upright piano with artificial escapement built into it. Did however respond well to fast, repetitive notes (songs described above).
Kawai CS11: almost authentic grand piano action, albeit a bit soft at first. Can however be corrected with the Virtual Engineer, i.e. setting it to heavy will allow you more control in pp or ppp situations. Same correction undertakings with clp-685 (hard level) did not bring any noticeable differences. Very good response to repetitive, fast notes and exquisite feel to it, as it is the only one made entirely of wood and also has noticeably the longest keys and thus pivot point.

2. Sound:
Roland LX-17: fairly digital, however clear.
Yamaha CLP-685: unbalanced, too strong bass (can be tweaked however by augmenting brightness of overall sound, although there is no real equalizer function on this dp. Could probably be solved if you tone down your left hand a bit, which I am not really used too due to the repertoire I play, but could adjust to if necessary) and under-powered, albeit clear middles and highs. However good sampling on the CFX sound, Bösendorfer sound more a marketing trick than an actual serious sound (muffled, distorted, not at all like an actual Bösendorfer, bass here too weak, paradoxically. Was in Vienna for a client meeting last week and spent an hour in the Bösendorfer store at Canovagasse 4 / Bösendorferstraße 12 revelling in that amazing sound, so I have a fairly fresh, although subjective comparison sample), as the YouTube videos showcasing the Bösendorfer sound seem to have been heavily improved. Better headphone sound than Kawai though, binaural sampling kicking in here.
Kawai CS11: most natural sound, although only on the Shigeru Kawai sound, the other grand pianos sounding a bit muffled/bizarre. Worse headphone sound than Yamaha though.

Bottom line: I think I will purchase the CS11, as it is the overall better grand piano key action simulation IMHO, if you are ok with the Shigeru Kawai sound, which lacks a bit of personality, but nevertheless delivers a solid grand piano performance over the entire 88 keys.

Best

Alan Shore

#2654628 - 06/18/17 01:46 PM Re: Yamaha CLP-685 - First Impressions [Re: Alan Shore]  
EssBrace Online content
3000 Post Club Member
EssBrace  Online Content
3000 Post Club Member

Suffolk, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by Alan Shore

Bottom line: I think I will purchase the CS11, as it is the overall better grand piano key action simulation IMHO, if you are ok with the Shigeru Kawai sound, which lacks a bit of personality, but nevertheless delivers a solid grand piano performance over the entire 88 keys.

I went with the CS11 after lots of testing. To me it is a good deal better than its competitors. The new SK-EX sound is a vast improvement over the older EX sound. On first hearing you could think the SK-EX is a tad bland but it has hidden depths. I like it very much. Maybe I'm lucky with my placement but the sound system on the CS11 for my purposes is nigh-on perfect. Rich and powerful but not overblown. For me, both in the shop and now in my sitting room, it's a good deal closer to the experience of playing a real acoustic than the others I tested.

#2656276 - 06/25/17 10:32 AM Re: Yamaha CLP-685 - First Impressions [Re: Alan Shore]  
Nordomus Offline
Nordomus  Offline

Originally Posted by Alan Shore

1. Touch/feel:
Roland LX-17: feels and plays like a digital piano, nowhere near clp-685 and/or cs11 (no counterweight could be felt, no escapement action, mediocre key quality (full plastic), did not respond well at all to fast, repetitive notes like played in Grande Valse Brillante or Moszkowski etudes).

I just want to say that you are wrong here about Roland. It is actually hybrid keyboard containing both plastic and wood elements. Also there is escapement "simulation" like on most higher tier digital pianos.

#2656281 - 06/25/17 10:41 AM Re: Yamaha CLP-685 - First Impressions [Re: Nordomus]  
Gombessa Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Nordomus

I just want to say that you are wrong here about Roland. It is actually hybrid keyboard containing both plastic and wood elements. Also there is escapement "simulation" like on most higher tier digital pianos.

There's a bit of controversy about what a hybrid DP or action actually is. The "rigorous" view is that the term should be reserved for actual acoustic piano actions driving digital tone generators. Kawai sometimes takes the view that their long-keystick full-wooden key actions are "hybrid" as well, though I think this is too much of a stretch, personally.

I really don't think cosmetic wooden slats covering a composite action like the PHA-50 should be considered hybrid in any sense of the word, but I guess, what's in a name. You're right that the PHA-50 incorporates wooden elements in its keys though.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50 || Kawai MP11
#2656369 - 06/25/17 04:25 PM Re: Yamaha CLP-685 - First Impressions [Re: m1ch4L]  
CyberGene Online content
1000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
IMO hybrid is a term applied to the piano as a whole, not just the action. AG pianos are hybrid pianos because they use real grand piano action and digital sound. With that in mind it's fair to say those Kawai pianos are digital pianos with hybrid action because they use long wooden keys with counterweights, etc ALMOST EXACTLY AS IN a real grand piano action with other elements being from a digital piano such as hammer mechanism, escapement simulation, etc.

Last edited by CyberGene; 06/25/17 04:27 PM.

https://myspace.com/evgenykumanov/music/songs
Currently: Kawai ES7 -> Garritan CFX Lite
Previously: Kawai MP6, Kawai CA63, Roland RD-700SX, Roland FP-5, Yamaha P90, Korg SP-200, Casio CDP-100
#2656378 - 06/25/17 04:47 PM Re: Yamaha CLP-685 - First Impressions [Re: m1ch4L]  
MacMacMac Offline
5000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

North Carolina
I thought a hybrid is an acoustic piano (with strings) ... that also has sensors that can drive a digital sound module.
It's BOTH an acoustic and a digital.
Is that right?

#2656424 - 06/25/17 08:12 PM Re: Yamaha CLP-685 - First Impressions [Re: m1ch4L]  
Gombessa Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Like I said, I don't think there is a consensus. But allowing the GF2 is imo scraping the bottom of the barrel of the definition smile And once we're arguing where the line is for some arbitrary set of attributes (key length + existence of counterweights), then how do you justify cutting it before cosmetic wooden treatment? Or even beyond that? The PHA-IV Concert's *wood-colored* plastic side panels might as well be a hybrid too, since the key side color is almost exactly like that in a real grand, even if a whole bunch of other stuff isn't.

I don't know where the line is/should be, but I feel a good dividing line is a real acoustic action (AvantGrand, NU1, Novus, maybe that Alpha, and of course the silent acoustics) that drives either a digital or acoustic+digital sound.

#2656431 - 06/25/17 09:16 PM Re: Yamaha CLP-685 - First Impressions [Re: m1ch4L]  
MacMacMac Offline
5000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

North Carolina
I don't know what a GF2 is ... but since you're discussing it in this forum, it must be digital piano.

Does it also have strings? If yes, it's a hybrid.

But if not, it's not. How can something be a hybrid if it's not a combination of two (or more) things?

#2656451 - 06/25/17 10:52 PM Re: Yamaha CLP-685 - First Impressions [Re: MacMacMac]  
Gombessa Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I think this thread is getting a bit derailed, but I don't see much consistency to the statements you've made here.

Something cannot be a hybrid piano if it doesn't have strings?

If it doesn't have strings, it therefore cannot be a combination of two (or more) things?

Since when has "hybrid" ever been defined as something that performs the full independent function of each of its component systems?

Even the makers of these full acoustic+digital pianos don't agree with such a narrow interpretation of what a hybrid is: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/pianos/avantgrand/n3/index.html.

It's a gray area to be sure, but one that isn't well served by such a contradictory and arbitrary definition, particularly when a term like "silent piano" may do a lot more to accurately describe what you're actually talking about.

#2656478 - 06/26/17 02:54 AM Re: Yamaha CLP-685 - First Impressions [Re: m1ch4L]  
MacMacMac Offline
5000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

North Carolina
There are cars that run on gasoline.
There are some that run on batteries.
There are some that run on both. Those are hybrids.

There are pianos that make sound with strings.
There are others that produce sound electronically.
There are some that do both. Those are hybrids.

Yamaha's definition might differ. But remember, their English may not be so good.
And the source you cite centers on online promotion ... a locale fraught with marketing-speak. Can we really trust and rely upon such? smile

#2656481 - 06/26/17 03:14 AM Re: Yamaha CLP-685 - First Impressions [Re: m1ch4L]  
EssBrace Online content
3000 Post Club Member
EssBrace  Online Content
3000 Post Club Member

Suffolk, United Kingdom
I certainly agree with Mac about cars and understand his reasoning when applied to pianos.

But the first digital 'hybrid' pianos were Yamaha GranTouch pianos in about 1997. I feel that established a basic definition of 'hybrid' in relation to pianos.

Real action + digital sound generation = hybrid.

The Kawais such as mine like CS11 do not qualify because the action is not a real acoustic piano action. Some might say the presence of a soundboard qualifies it for classification as a hybrid but personally I disagree. The new Kawai Novus will be a hybrid as it has a real action.

I think this is a case of Yamaha having been able to, and frankly being entitled to, define the term due to them being first to market and having an unbroken series of such products using the same definition.

#2656606 - 06/26/17 01:22 PM Re: Yamaha CLP-685 - First Impressions [Re: EssBrace]  
Gombessa Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by MacMacMac
There are cars that run on gasoline.
There are some that run on batteries.
There are some that run on both. Those are hybrids.

I don't want to be unnecessarily argumentative (though I guess this IS the internet), but this is a case where sufficiency doesn't equate to necessity. Some hybrids may be able to switch off seamlessly between electric and gas, but others cannot--take the battery out of a Chevy Volt and it won't move at all since the drivetrain is exclusively electric (the gas engine only charges the battery). Even on non-PI hybrids like a traditional Prius, the electric drivetrain depends on the gas engine, and you can't go powered for more than a few seconds without the latter.

Even classical hybrids are merely defined as an offspring of different parent species or (in your own words) a combination of two or more things. Whether the offspring retains any function of either parent is irrelevant to the definition.

Originally Posted by EssBrace
But the first digital 'hybrid' pianos were Yamaha GranTouch pianos in about 1997. I feel that established a basic definition of 'hybrid' in relation to pianos.

Real action + digital sound generation = hybrid.

The Kawais such as mine like CS11 do not qualify because the action is not a real acoustic piano action. Some might say the presence of a soundboard qualifies it for classification as a hybrid but personally I disagree. The new Kawai Novus will be a hybrid as it has a real action.

I think this is a case of Yamaha having been able to, and frankly being entitled to, define the term due to them being first to market and having an unbroken series of such products using the same definition.

I more or less agree with this. It's historically and internally consistent, and includes the AvantGrand/NU1/Novus class of products, as well as the "silent piano" class that arguably takes it a step further. And it does a fair job avoiding dilution through things like key material, soundboards, finish, etc.

#2657129 - 06/28/17 06:02 AM Re: Yamaha CLP-685 - First Impressions [Re: m1ch4L]  
Schuberto Offline
Schuberto  Offline

I had the occasion to play a CLP 685 yesterday for about 30 min. I did not like the sound nor the action compared to my Kawai CA95.
The CFX sound was ok not more, the Bösendorfer I liked even less. The bass region was very predominant and loud while the upper notes (discant) was rather week, relatively.
The dynamics changed very strongly depending on volume setting and the touch velocity. Maybe this is real behavior but I did not like it. You have to set the volume to max to have an acceptable nice sound, a lower volume it's just not likable at all.

The keyboard/touch is very "clicky" to my feel (and ear) and I find it the same as in the CLP585, no real change or even improvement.

After 30 min I did not want to play anymore.

Maybe I am too much accustomed to my Kawai CA-95. I will have to wait for the next generation of CA/CS in order to buy a new DP.

Last edited by Schuberto; 06/28/17 06:04 AM.
#2657482 - 06/29/17 09:54 AM Re: Yamaha CLP-685 - First Impressions [Re: m1ch4L]  
ger271 Offline
ger271  Offline

Scotland
I just tried out a Yamaha CLP-685 vs a Kawai CS11 and I went for the Kawai. Sound was nicer to me, Yamaha was a bit too bright, but the biggest factor was the feel of the keys/action.

The Yamaha action was still very mechanical feeling, not like a real piano at all but the Kawai action was gorgeous, so smooth and VERY realistic IMO.

Can't wait till it gets delivered.

#2705341 - 17 hours ago Re: Yamaha CLP-685 - First Impressions [Re: m1ch4L]  
emmaco Offline
emmaco  Offline

France

Motif XS 7 - Mac everywhere... since 1984... ;-)
Fender Strato - Logic Studio - NS-10 M Studio
acoustic upright piano

http://perso.numericable.fr/appleback/index.html
#2705351 - 16 hours ago Re: Yamaha CLP-685 - First Impressions [Re: emmaco]  
olivier du nord Offline
olivier du nord  Offline

I also tried all of the DP mentioned here.
Concerning the CLP 685, the "clicky" action was not in my taste. I agree the bosendorfer needs improvement (maybe in future models ?)
But the main reproach I make (and nobody speak about that), is the "speackerish" sound reproduction.
I'am not a sound engineer, and so I don't know how to express it clearly, but it is just a feeling : my ears kwnow exactly where the sound comes from, even though the sound (the sample and sound engine) is very good.
May be it is because the sound coming from the top of the cabinet (tweeter, I think) is set too high in volume : I can touch this sound, I can point my finger toward the exact position of these tweeters, hidden behind a black tissue.
I compared with my old CLP 170 : 4 speakers in front of the legs and 2 tweeters on top : the tweeters a set quite low, just for the high harmonics : almost all the sound comes from below, and I think it feels more natural, the sound seems to come from a larger area.
On top of that, the CLP 170 had 2 rear speakers for ambiant (resonnance) sound, which was AMAZING. It is a shame that Yamaha stopped this technology.
On the other hand, with the N2, the sound seems to come from a large area in front of you, like in real grand. Your imagination can see the strings vibrating in front of your eyes, it was so amazing.

In my opinion, the main advantage of "cabinet DP" should be the sound reproduction, (otherwise, why not a good keyboard+speacker+computer+VST ?) : the advantage of the cabinet is rigthly the possibility to reproduce the sound projection of a real piano.
That is why I am interested in Kawai approach with their soundboard : this concept is exactly what I expect from a cabinet DP : to exploit the advantage of the cabinet.
I think DP manufacturer should spend more time and money in sound reproduction, as they can't compete with sample quality of VST and their GB of memory.

Last edited by olivier du nord; 16 hours ago.

old Yamaha CLP 170, and looking for a new DP !
#2705354 - 15 hours ago Re: Yamaha CLP-685 - First Impressions [Re: m1ch4L]  
MacMacMac Offline
5000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

North Carolina
Yes, the speakers have been a perennial dud in console pianos. If they want to collect a large sum for the sale of a console piano then it ought to have sound reproduction better than that of a slab. But it doesn't.

I've never heard a CLP170, nor the latest CLP685. But your description of the latter is oh so familiar.

I find it interesting, though, that the tweeter volume is set too high in the CLP685. In my CLP240 the tweeters are nearly inaudible. All the sound comes from below. Not good.

And in all the years since Yamaha has done nothing to improve the sound system. So I'm leaning toward Kawai.

The sound performance of the previous generation Kawais did not impress me, although the action did. I'm left to wonder what the new 98 sounds like. I guess I'll have to make the trip.

#2705358 - 14 hours ago Re: Yamaha CLP-685 - First Impressions [Re: m1ch4L]  
Tyr Offline
Tyr  Offline

Germany
I have my CLP-685 since friday last week and i'm having a blast compared to the CA-98. After a couple of hours playing, i barely notice any clickiness anymore. Also the heaviness has gone. This effect doesn't happen if you test it in the store. It takes some time to become familiar with this action.

Current: Yamaha CLP-685PE
#2705379 - 11 hours ago Re: Yamaha CLP-685 - First Impressions [Re: Tyr]  
MarkH13 Offline
MarkH13  Offline

Originally Posted by Tyr
I have my CLP-685 since friday last week and i'm having a blast compared to the CA-98. After a couple of hours playing, i barely notice any clickiness anymore. Also the heaviness has gone. This effect doesn't happen if you test it in the store. It takes some time to become familiar with this action.

I demoed the CLP-685 a few weeks ago, and didn't like the action at all - it wasn't so much the clickiness, but that it felt like you had to push the keys past a 'notch' to get them moving... This made playing pianissimo VERY challenging!

I'm sure that you can get used to any action in time, but I'd be concerned about what happens when you return to a real piano - the transition may be challenging!

Steinway B; Yamaha NU1X
#2705382 - 11 hours ago Re: Yamaha CLP-685 - First Impressions [Re: m1ch4L]  
Tyr Offline
Tyr  Offline

Germany
I think i won't get into a situation where i have to sit at a real grand for the next years. so it's not a problem right now. It's like shoes. You have to walk in them to getting comfortable with. wink

Last edited by Tyr; 11 hours ago.

#2705393 - 11 hours ago Re: Yamaha CLP-685 - First Impressions [Re: Tyr]  
MarkH13 Offline
MarkH13  Offline

That's good to know Tyr - and the whole issue of key actions is such a subjective and personal one, all that matters is that you're happy with it (my NU1X has its own problems!)

Steinway B; Yamaha NU1X
#2705479 - 5 hours ago Re: Yamaha CLP-685 - First Impressions [Re: MarkH13]  
squidbot Online content
squidbot  Online Content

Kitsap County, WA
Originally Posted by MarkH13
I'm sure that you can get used to any action in time, but I'd be concerned about what happens when you return to a real piano - the transition may be challenging!

I've had the CLP-685 for a few weeks now and it's made the transition to my teachers grand so much easier. Previously when I'd go to his piano I'd have such a difficult time getting the dynamics correct and hitting trills consistently. It's made a world of difference. I've also tried a few grands with lighter actions than my instructors and found it equally easy to transition. On the other hand after practicing 100% on the 685, when I go back to play my Kawai ES110 (which I had been playing since they were introduced) it's like playing a toy, not in a bad way, but it's so light and easy. I'm definitely convinced that getting the 685 was key to being able to play more accurately on a variety of acoustics. I'm really pleased with it so far. My teacher noticed the improvement after just a week of playing on it, and this was unprompted by me.

As to the directionality of the speakers, I find it's only noticeable when sitting playing, though I'm "getting used to it." However, when sitting away listening, the directionality goes away and listeners are fully convinced it's producing sound like an acoustic. Also, I'll add that the binaural sampling with headphones on is really quite effective.

Last edited by squidbot; 5 hours ago.

Instruments: Yamaha CLP-685, Kawai ES110
Pieces In Progress:
  • Chopin Waltz in A minor Poshumous (almost performance ready)
  • Chopin Mazurka in B flat Major Op 7 (very much W.I.P.)
  • Beethoven "Easy Sonata" 20 No. 2 (just started)
#2705499 - 4 hours ago Re: Yamaha CLP-685 - First Impressions [Re: m1ch4L]  
Tyr Offline
Tyr  Offline

Germany
@ Squidbot: Did you noticed that the binaural sampling will go through the speakers while you have your headphones connected and set the speakers to always on?

#2705548 - 7 minutes ago Re: Yamaha CLP-685 - First Impressions [Re: Tyr]  
squidbot Online content
squidbot  Online Content

Kitsap County, WA
Originally Posted by Tyr
@ Squidbot: Did you noticed that the binaural sampling will go through the speakers while you have your headphones connected and set the speakers to always on?

I hadn't tried that! Cool easter egg smile Does it actually sound good (well I guess I can try myself)

Instruments: Yamaha CLP-685, Kawai ES110
Pieces In Progress:
  • Chopin Waltz in A minor Poshumous (almost performance ready)
  • Chopin Mazurka in B flat Major Op 7 (very much W.I.P.)
  • Beethoven "Easy Sonata" 20 No. 2 (just started)

Moderated by  Piano World 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
CLEARANCE SPECIALS!
Save Big In our online store now

In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
SummerKeys
Maine Coast Music Vacation for Adults
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Enharmonic key modulation
by Daffodil. 01/16/18 07:49 PM
Garritan CFX + Avant Grand N1 for practice?
by kiwibd. 01/16/18 07:28 PM
Creating that unique piano sound
by KeyLogic18. 01/16/18 05:35 PM
Notifications
by vanyailieva. 01/16/18 05:13 PM
Omoshiro Block
by twocats. 01/16/18 02:30 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics183,818
Posts2,687,658
Members89,464
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission