2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (AlkansBookcase, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, ChickenBrother, CrashTest, 7 invisible), 2,166 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 25 of 60 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 59 60
K
K
He'll have two days to work on it. Today it might just have been a case of "not enough time to fix it today, since there's 10 people playing"

Last edited by kcostell; 05/30/17 11:15 PM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Wow does the tech clash with Anderson and Roe.

Edit: It's getting better. That's a relief...except the Cliburning questions grin

Last edited by MikeN; 05/30/17 11:26 PM.
E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
If you want to play on a cane chair, are you allowed?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
They must be having trouble getting Betty Sue Bach to boot. whome

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
K
K
From the medici.tv feed:

@andersonroe hang in there! This is the hardest part of hosting, the filler! (Jade Simmons, the host from 4 years ago)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I find myself getting ear fatigue and loosing my patients with the players. I can't imagine how the jurors feel. I'm ready to pick a winner and call it quits. Maybe this competition is a little too long? Require a Mozart concerto (good idea IMO) maybe one or two Beethoven sonatas. Require one original work written for the competition. And then they can pick the rest, but limit it somehow. Maybe two baroque pieces, three romantic and two post romantic. That should do it. Crazy?

Last edited by Ralph; 05/31/17 12:22 AM.

Do or do not. There is no try.
K
K
Advancing: Broberg, Chen, Cheung, Favorin, Hsu, Dasol Kim, Honggi Kim, Pierdomenico, Sun, Sunwoo, Tchaidze, Yang
Eliminated: Bartlett, Belyavskiy, Carroccia, Jurinic, Su Yeon Kim, Kudo, Shmukler, Teo

Disappointed (but not surprised) to see Teo go.

More Kapustin to come from Dasol Kim in the semis!

V
V
Six of my seven passed, Bartlett being the exception.

B
B
Glad Leonardo made it! Looking forward to the Beethoven Op. 7, Grande Sonata, and the Chopin Ballades! Also happy for Broberg. Too bad for Luigi Carrococcia. His program was too drawn out, what with the Barcarolle followed by 2 Nocturnes.

Estonia 190 #6209
Working on:
Liszt: Chasse Neige
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Not surprised. Feel sorry for Kudo, but she did not play well tonight. Watch out for the Italian kid Piedromenico . He's the sleeper, but I still think Sunwoo will win.

Do or do not. There is no try.
K
K
I hope you all like Mozart's concertos 20 (D Minor) and 21 (C Major). We'll be hearing them 6 and 4 times, respectively in the next few days (Honggi Kim is playing 23, and Broberg 25).

Other repeated works: Pictures at an Exhibition (3 times!) and Prokofiev's Sixth Sonata, Schubert's op. 899 Impromptus, and Schumann's Kreisleriana (twice each).

B
Brendan Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
B
I think this is pretty much what everyone expected, aside from one or two disagreements. I still don't understand what they see in Yang, he is not ready for the gigs and responsibilities that this competition offers and is still having nerves/consistency issues in his recitals. Is he our new HWSNBN?

Anyway, glad that Favorin got through. Barring any major incidents, I think that the finalists will be the three Koreans, Favorin, Broberg, and Pierdomenico.

V
V
Regarding your predictions for finalists, I'd swap Han Chen for Broberg.

I have yet to hear Yang, but I think Hsu fits that description as well. He shows promise but could use some time to develop.

As far as (T)WSNBN, I don't think there's anyone in this competition that seems quite so out of place. Though regarding the original, I did find some things (they) did to be kind of fresh and interesting.

Last edited by vers la flan; 05/31/17 01:58 AM.
S
S
Originally Posted by Brendan
I think this is pretty much what everyone expected, aside from one or two disagreements. I still don't understand what they see in Yang, he is not ready for the gigs and responsibilities that this competition offers and is still having nerves/consistency issues in his recitals. Is he our new HWSNBN?

Anyway, glad that Favorin got through. Barring any major incidents, I think that the finalists will be the three Koreans, Favorin, Broberg, and Pierdomenico.

Yang has the ability to generate incredible harmonic tension through articulation and rests.

Well deserved advancement.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I didn't really follow Yang's progress during the Chopin competition, but since then I have become a big fan of his, such a presence and style for someone so young (in fact for any age). Many of his Youtube videos are of interest and even inspiring to me.

Last edited by newport; 05/31/17 04:22 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Is he our new HWSNBN?

Help me out here?

Currently working on:
-Poulenc Trois pièces
-Liszt Harmonies du Soir
-Bach/Brahms Chaconne for Left Hand
Originally Posted by Ridicolosamente
Is he our new HWSNBN?

Help me out here?

Me, too! I have no idea what that acronym stands for.

On a side note, I am looking forward to six K. 466s, as that's my favorite Mozart concerto. I see we're in for 3 Pictures at an Exhibition, too. Also looking forward to hearing all 4 Ballades in a row, as I frequently listen to Artur Rubinstein play them (and the Scherzos) when I run.

aka Lady Arabesque
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/hayburner1969
H
H
Originally Posted by coaster
Originally Posted by Ridicolosamente
Is he our new HWSNBN?

Help me out here?

Me, too! I have no idea what that acronym stands for.

"He Who Shall Not Be Named"?

M
M
I find the commentary of Anderson and Roe, as well as their dynamic to be quite awkward.

It's apparent that Greg does most of the talking, and when Liz gets a rare chance to speak, it often feels contrived, and she quite often gets cut-off by Greg.

I really expected there to be much more synergy between the two of them. Yes I realize that they are not reporters/actors/speakers and that they are professional piano players, it's just that they don't seem to warm to each other.

Did anyone else notice that old lady backstage that grabs the competitors left arm and squeezes followed by a big pat on the back it each time a pianist is about to take the stage? I'm surprised that none of the pianists have shaken her off. With the amount of nerves they must be experiencing at that moment, I'm surprised they put up with all of that groping.

And speaking of nerves, do you think that any of these pianists use beta blockers? I was speaking with my doctor, and she mentioned that it's quite common for professional musicians at the highest level to use them (one of her patients is in the SF symphony and uses them).

S
S
Originally Posted by kcostell
Did Cheung have a problem with her piano? I was hearing this clicking noise starting partway through the Chopin, and wasn't sure if it was the piano or my computer/headphones.

I heard that too, to me it sounded like too long fingernails.
Much very loud pedalthumping going on too, especially with Belyavksiy in the Beethoven variations, very annoying. Actually, I don't like Rachel Cheung. Her Schubert in round one was boring and played in a very mediocre fashion. And her Debussy préludes were just amateurish. I really don't understand how she got through.

Page 25 of 60 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 59 60

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission