2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
59 members (BMKE, 5stringbanjo, 36251, AndrewJCW, accordeur, Bett, 18 invisible), 943 guests, and 367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2647572 05/27/17 11:27 AM
D
D7K Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I was lucky and got a factory refurbish about 2 years ago for $650......and I will keep it until it dies for it synth abilities. I am thinking about a machine for just piano sounds. I have a pretty good computer (i7 4200, 32 gig fast ram, SSD, fast HD's), could add a good sound card. Sound out goes through a pair of small Presonus studio speakers (4.5) and an 8" subwoffer. Since I don't move my PX-5S and would have to use a double stand am I better off getting a software piano than a better DP? I use the PX-5S to create theme music for stock videos I sell of wildlife and use various DAW's and Vegas PRO (which has a surprising amount of sound FX plugins). Should I just stay with the PS-5X piano sounds or would I get noticeably better sounds with a software piano? I use head phones about 95% time of the time thus the small studio speakers and subwoffer.

Looking for recommendations for DP upgrades for sound or software. Also I've looked at the Garritan Instant Orchestra or Garritan Personal Orchestra 5 (would these be better piano & other sounds than the PX-5S sounds?).

Thanks.

Jeff
Casio PX-5S Pro - my new adventure
Yamaha p105 - gone but not forgotten
D7K #2647579 05/27/17 11:49 AM
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
I think probably everyone would agree that, while you can get keyboards with better piano and orchestral sounds than the PX5S, none of them are as good as what you can get with software. So if you're happy with the feel of playing of the PX5S, and you don't need something self-contained for portability's sake, the computer would seem to be the way to go.

D7K #2647598 05/27/17 12:44 PM
C
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
C
+1.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
D7K #2647698 05/27/17 07:08 PM
C
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
C
Further thought:

You should have some MIDI files of piano parts to use as test inputs. Your computer is plenty fast.

Download a trial copy of Pianoteq, with either the "Bluthner" or "Grotrian" add-ons. There are some "dead" notes, but the software is complete, except for that.

Run your MIDI files through Pianoteq, and listen to the output. Try a few of the different piano settings (along with reverb etc) -- in particular, the "Cinematic" presets.

. . . You'll either like it better than the PX5s (my bet), or not.

If not, it's worth trying a sample-based software piano.

The Pianoteq sustain, on individual notes, is longer than the PX5s piano sounds. You may have to adjust your pedalling technique to compensate.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
D7K #2647749 05/27/17 11:50 PM
There are several good piano virtual instruments you can choose from and its a matter of personal taste (more of "sonic taste or hearing taste" if that makes sense) or what you currently need to fit either your project, budget or current setup.

For fast download/less storage space and using less RAM (but more CPU muscle): Pianoteq 5.x (I found that its current 5.8x version to have relatively increased CPU utilization but YMMV) and its add-ons (Steinway B, Blluethner, etc.).

For GB of download or using other media (USB or DVD install discs), well there are several choices: Garritan's Yamaha CFX, Ivory (American D, Studio Piano...), UVI (True Keys, Ravenscroft) and the list goes on...

I currently use my PX-5S along with Pianoteq 5+Bluethner (sometimes as MIDI controller only for Pianoteq and sometimes combining piano presets of PX5S w/ Pianoteq). There are times I experiment a little and use the PX5S as MIDI Controller only and combine the sounds of Pianoteq and UVI True Keys ("American" and "Italian" grand presets) within Brainspawn Forte 4.x as host.

For orchestral sound sampled libraries - there's a plethora of these libraries but then again your choice will depend upon your current setup, project or taste. Some are downloadable and others available through select media (USB, DVD or External HDDs).

In no particular order:

1. Spitfire's Symphonic Orchestra - full orchestral library but pricey ($1600+)
2. Spitfire's Symphonic Strings or Chamber Strings - string-only library but still quite pricey @ $600+ compared to some of its competitors
3. EastWest Quantum Leap-Symphonic Orchestra (EWQL-SO) - I use this currently but I find the overall sampled recorded instrument/ensemble sounds to be more on the "bright" side
4. Native Instrument's Symphony Series - Strings/Woodwinds/Brass Ensemble libraries (separate libraries) - also on the pricey side especially if you buy the individual ensemble libraries
5. Vienna Symphonic Libraries -Strings/Woodwinds/Brass libraries - probably one of the priciest if not the most expensive of all orchestral sample-based libraries available.
6. Sonokinetic's Minimal/Cappricio/Vivace/Maximo Orchestral Phrase Libraries - these are phrase-based orchestral sample libraries (think of pre-recorded phrases of strings/brass/woodwinds around a couple of bars/measures long that you can insert or add into your current arrangement based on other vritual instrument orchestral libraries either for additional sonic "textures", orchestral fx or runs that will be laborious if not difficult to input manually by playing through your keyboard or via direct MIDI note input through your DAW (Sonar, Cubase, Logic etc.).

And if you're into that "cinematic"/"movie" orchestral sound:

7. Cinestrings (by CineSample) - one of the good "cinematic" sound orchestral libraries out there.
8. EastWest Quantum Leap-Hollywood Strings - currently on sale but in its first couple of years has been reported to be a CPU-hog. Hopefully its new PLAY 5 version (stand-alone host/player) has somewhat addressed the concern on high CPU usage and/or previous bugs in Play 4.x
9. EastWest Quantum Leap-Hollywood Orchestra (EWQL-HO) - full orchestral library with that big/cinematic hollywood sound; its a little pricey but contains their Hollywood brass/strings/woodwind collections
10. Cinematic Strings 2.0 - for a simple/user-friendly GUI and quick mock-ups but with that good cinematic strings sound. I'd say its reasonably priced now @ $299.
11. Cinematic Studio Strings - from the same company as Cinematic Strings 2.0; this is a newer library priced @ $399.
12. *list down here other orchestral/strings/woodwinds/brass libraries not mentioned above

Each of the orchestral sample libraries may have its distinct sound (probably due to the venue of the recording, mics used, instruments used and any EQ/reverb applied).

If you have a flexible or big budget, powerful PC hardware, lots of fast storage space (SSD) and RAM, a good audio interface and are into orchestral music composition/arrangements, Spitfire's libraries or Vienna Symphonic libraries are one of the best if not belonging to the upper-tier of venerable orchestral sample libraries.

Bottolmline: If its just the PX5S built in piano patches and whatever orchestral patches/presets it currently has, it would be a huge sonically-pleasing upgrade and experience (albeit expensive ---depending on your choice of sample library) to have some virtual instruments added to your sonic arsenal.

Last edited by BeowulfX; 05/28/17 02:16 AM. Reason: typographical erros

PX-5S FA-06 LaunchKey 61 SL-MKII Graphite 49; VST: Pianoteq 6+Bluethner UVI TrueKeys EWQL-SO + Hollywood Strings/Brass, AAS GS-2+LL EP4 Sonokinetic; Mobile DAW ROG G751J: i7 4720 32GB RAM 250+500 GB SSD Scarlett 6i6 TS110A x2; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfiQst_xQwNgKL_FS9OXSKw
D7K #2647788 05/28/17 06:51 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Worth mentioning that Best Service now has a sale on East West products.

https://www.bestservice.de/en/east_west.html

They are also on sale on East West's own website, but if you're looking for piano VSTs, it seems only the bundle can be bought there.

I have none of their samples, so I can't say anything about how they sound or play.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
D7K #2647804 05/28/17 10:27 AM
D
D7K Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thank you everyone, I will end up with a software "kit". I just did some work for a non-profit art gallery and at first they didn't want a musical background but when showed the different in the production viewing value with music they loved it. I'll just have to add another SSD to hold the software as my primary is for video rendering of 4K files. Unless Magix updates Acid this year I am thing of going to reaper, any opinions of a good DAW? (64 bit of course).

Jeff
Casio PX-5S Pro - my new adventure
Yamaha p105 - gone but not forgotten
D7K #2647978 05/28/17 07:33 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
For Windows? Well you could go Reaper, which is great as an audio workstation once you get your head around the workflow. But it has poo for included instruments... which makes sense given the price, but you'd definitely need to invest in all sorts of VSTs then. If you go with Cubase it has a nice base library of sounds, same for Reason or Digital Performer which also host VSTs. Cubase has the eLincenser which is a bit lame. ProTools also, decent base library of instruments and sounds, but they have the iLok thing (which can be useful if you want to install all over the place to use - just need to bring the iLok with you). But PT hosts AAX rather than VST. So if you're in, you're all in.

If performance is your main goal, not necessarily production, Cantabile is what you want. Great VST host geared toward performance setups.

Last edited by ElmerJFudd; 05/28/17 07:35 PM.
D7K #2648975 05/31/17 08:09 PM
J
J
FL Studio has some ok synths included, depending what version you get- the best value is the academic version. Easy to use as well, plus the bonus of free upgrades :-)

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How old do you think this piano is? (from hammer felt wear)
by 88Key_PianoPlayer - 08/10/22 09:20 PM
what might exist (a keyboard view)?
by keystring - 08/10/22 05:49 PM
Petrof with pianodisc
by AndreaH - 08/10/22 03:46 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,332
Posts3,215,334
Members106,056
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission