2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,816 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 60 1 2 3 4 5 6 59 60
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Brendan
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi
First Bach of the competition!

For me, Bercu's Bach is too flippant, but maybe I just have indigestion. sick

Maybe a little over-articulated? She has a great sense of style and momentum, but I thought the lyrical moments could have been more lyrical. Same thing with the Prokofiev.

Yes, she moves the keys kinda fast much of the time--over articulated or attacked (i. e. plays louder)? Maybe this sounds good in the hall.

But, I think she might advance.

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The Prokofiev had me in tears.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
First Bach of the competition!

For me, Bercu's Bach is too flippant, but maybe I just have indigestion. sick

Maybe a little over-articulated? She has a great sense of style and momentum, but I thought the lyrical moments could have been more lyrical. Same thing with the Prokofiev.

Yes, she moves the keys kinda fast much of the time--over articulated or attacked (i. e. plays louder)? Maybe this sounds good in the hall.

But, I think she might advance.

Bercu is a very interesting performer. Music aside, just the way her hands move a little more than they need to at times mesmerized me. And her demeanor reminded me of Mariangela Vacatello, who ended up winning the audience award back in 2009.

Currently working on:
-Poulenc Trois pièces
-Liszt Harmonies du Soir
-Bach/Brahms Chaconne for Left Hand
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Shmukler: heard only the Ravel. How was the Haydn?

He seems top tier.

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
B
Brendan Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
B
The clear picks today for me are Pierdomenico and Shmukler. Everyone else had some good moments, but these two had both the hardest programs and the best performances.

In the first session, I liked Fukami the best (particularly the Beethoven, which had the best sense of style of the three Beethoven performances). I think Bercu made a mistake with such a weighty Bach offering in the first elimination round - it might have been a better choice for round two, but you never know.

I'll miss most of the performances tomorrow and Saturday, so please post reviews!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have a preference for Piedromenico, but I did not get to hear Fukami (how would you pronounce that? Felt like I had to go to confession after the first time I said it to myself. Could be worse. Could have been Fukau, which is what she probably would say to me.)sorry cool

Do or do not. There is no try.
M
M
Impressive start!

P
P
Listened to the end of Pierdomenico through Smukler, and am now listening to the beginning three.
Out of all I heard, despite Kociuban's flaws, I like her best, though I don't imagine she'll advance (her memory lapses made me so sad for her frown (I always want everyone to play their best!!), though hopefully they'll recognize how quickly she recovered). I found her treatment of sounds to be exquisite. I especially liked her Hamelin, which I thought was executed the best of those I've heard (I have yet to hear Fukami's and Kim's). I found her Prok 7 more traditional than Bercu's, which can make Prok 7 boring to listen to, but I thought Kociuban had the right combination of punch and lyricism.

I only heard half of Pierdomenico's Brahms, but it was impressive! Very controlled and secure, and had a great range of colors.

While listening to Bercu, I was mostly annoyed with the micing--did anyone else think something sounded off? I liked her Hamelin and Prokofiev better than her Bach, which I didn't love THAT much until the Sarabande. But, I found her presence pleasing and her sound charming overall.

Contrary to the live comments I read, and some above, I didn't like Smukler much. I found his Hamelin offputting--very loud and forceful. Of course, I've never seen this piece on paper, but after hearing Bercu and Kociuban's takes, and how they searched long and hard for the chant amidst all the chromaticism, I didn't think Smukler did as good of a job. Overall, I found his touch a tad too harsh and disjointed for my taste, especially in the Haydn--a bit cold, I suppose. But I did like his Bach/Siloti and le Gibet more than his other playing--I guess I appreciated his control of the lower end of the dynamic scale and the nice colors he got in subdued passages.

Just my two cents. Very glad to be able to hear any of these magnificent players!!

Everyday is a great day.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'm listening to Kim now. She seemed well in control of the Hamelin, and I like her Waldstein so far.

SRF
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Though I didn't listen to everyone's full program, if I had to choose I'd go for Kociuban who I though had the best technique and Pierdomenico who I though was the most interesting musician.

Of course, don't ask me who I think will continue.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
So much music. So little time.

SRF
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Anyone else experiencing a fair amount of buffering? Any suggestions for improving this?

A
A
I went to the cliburn website and I can watch the live stream, but where do I find the videos of rounds from yesterday? I missed a few. I'm on my mobile device if that makes a difference.

Last edited by A Guy; 05/26/17 11:08 AM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Anyone else experiencing a fair amount of buffering? Any suggestions for improving this?

I'm having no issues, though I experience a fair amount yesterday. So much so, that I left my home and went to school to use their connection.

My best advice is to refresh and try to keep you connection as open as possible as far as bandwidth. The stream really is a bit of a hog.

The rounds from yesterday are posted at the bottom of the page under the "Latest Replays" banner.

Last edited by MikeN; 05/26/17 11:13 AM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Sorry for the double post, but I couldn't resist.

Kim's doing some amazing playing right now. I think he's actually the first competitor who actual seemed to be able to really penetrate the thicket of notes that Hamelin wrote.

Last edited by MikeN; 05/26/17 11:35 AM.
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Since they can choose mostly any piece (?), that choice is one big part of my preference.

I've heard some live, some replay and the quality of the sound is good in my computer, pianoloverus. Right now listening here: http://cliburn2017.medici.tv

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Bravo!!!

Some miscalculated jumps in Kim's Scarbo, but I don't care. I wanna hear more. 3hearts

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Three questions:

Why are all stage wings so dreary? Safety tape and conduit.

How long have they had to learn the Hamelin piece?

Why does everybody think swimmy rubato is so "emotive?"

grin

I really hate to start sifting, but since this IS a competition:

Standouts in the first 9: Pierdomenico, Kim, Kociuban (I have sympathy for anybody who goes first, and she does have unique tone).

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
F
F
im also interested in how long have they had to learn the Hamelin piece, its insanely difficult.

Originally Posted by Fazioli73
im also interested in how long have they had to learn the Hamelin piece, its insanely difficult.

At least for the first few decades, they got the score 1 month in advance. As far as I know it has remained this way.

Page 4 of 60 1 2 3 4 5 6 59 60

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission