2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 7 invisible), 1,777 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Becca Allford
OMG!!! The piano bug has definitely bitten me! I was introduced to a 19 yr old Petrof which was recently submitted for consignment through a dealer! It is gorgeous and sounds out of this world. Retails new for 100k, seller is asking 19k but is open to offers. It's in excellent condition (mechanically speaking) but has some fading on the top, so the dealer is fixing it. It has quite an outdated player system (big, cumbersome box), which the dealer will upgrade. This piano is waaay out of my league, but seems like such an amazing price for the quality of instrument. I wish I could post photos of it here! Current resale value is 40k. Its 170cm.

They also have a preowned Hobart M. Cable 160cm which has been very well maintained and sounds amazing! (compared to the same size Samick). It's amazing how differently they each sound... and feel to the touch) I really liked the sound and feel of the Hobart (and it's in my price range) Price out the door: $4950. However, I can't stop thinking of the Petrof! haha! (there goes my hubby's hopes in upgrading his bass boat!)

Having said that, suprisingly, the Hobart felt just as nice while playing it, if not more so than the Petrof. Is that crazy? Probably my novice fingers!

The Hyundai was beautiful but needs work and is a tad small.... I believe it measured 140cm. Since it was not in tune, it was hard for me to really grasp the sound quality, but I can tell you it was no comparison; not surprising!

The other piano I really liked was a brand spanking new Prezina. The interior is accented with a beautiful wood in stark contrast to the exterior which is a beautiful polished ebony. http://dfwpianogallery.com/shop/perzina-gp-175-granit/

Video of the Perzina 161 : http://dfwpianogallery.com/shop/perzina-t-161-qamp/ WOW!!

Thoughts???

Yep, I'd say the bug has bitten, big-time! smile

If I were you, I'd definitely do more research on the Petrof. As much as I liked the Pertof studio upright I owned, my gut instinct is that the price of that pre-owned 5'8" Pertof is waaaaaaaaay over priced. And, not to dispute the dealer, because I really don't know for sure, but I doubt that piano retailed for $100K, and I really doubt the current resale value is $40K, by a long shot. But, again, I'm no expert.

There is another PW member here who has been trying to sell his Petrof grand for a while, and can hardly give it away. Also, here a recent thread where a similar Petrof 5'8" grand was reduced from $16000 to $9000. I'd venture to guess the value of the Petrof you are looking at is likely closer to $9000 than $19000; but I'm just speculating and on the outside looking in. Pre-owned Petrof thread

In regards to the Hobart Cable, I've read that they can be nice sounding, playing pianos. I've also read that the Perzina brand pianos can be nice pianos for the money. And, it sounds like you are wise to pass on the small Hyundai. It'd be nice if you could stay with a 5'8" or bigger grand. That is a nice size for the home; however, when it comes to grand pianos, the bigger the better, as a general rule, particularly in the bass section. smile

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
seems that your experience confirmed my general comments about really petite grands. Hyundai is not one of the makers known for good instruments in that size. would you be making much use of the player system in the Petrof ? if a player system has limited appeal for you, it's possible you can get a better price on the piano if it's simply removed, with the necessary minor modifications involved. it's in a completely different budget category, obviously, but no harm it your trying it out. testing fancier pianos can inform you on qualities to look for in those you can afford. how did you like the feel and sound of the brand new Perzina compared to the Hobart Cable or the Petrof ?

unless the Hobart Cable is a rebuilt vintage instrument from sixty or more years ago, it's a chinese made piano, made in different factories depending on which company owned the rights. pianos under that brand name might no longer be made at all, at present. the new perzinas are in the current wave of chinese instrument that have seen considerable european input, as it was originally a respectable middle tier German company, purchased by a Dutch piano entrepreneur Bol who set up chinese facilities for the new pianos. the recordings made on the company website, and in the Bol piano showroom sound very promising, those from other piano dealers seemed rather average.

Last edited by huaidongxi; 05/21/17 08:34 PM. Reason: added paragraph
OP Offline
Thank you, pianoloverus, for your comments! I am a rookie for sure. Actually, after I came down from my "piano shopping high", and my thoughts have cleared, there is NO WAY I am purchasing the Petrof! No way. Period. Actually..... I am rather smitten with the Hobart. I understand Hobart was bought by a Korean company, SeJung, and are now manufactured in China. Is this a problem?? I mean, seriously.... I have no clue! I truly liked the feel and sound of the Hobart. It just felt "right".. MUCH more so than the Petrof! I was seriously considering purchasing the Hobart, as honestly, at this stage in the game, I am wanting something to sink my teeth into and regain my love of the piano, as obviously I am in NO way preparing for an upcoming performance at Bass Hall. Let me ask this question... If I find a piano that seems to fit what I'm looking for (aesthetics, sound, budget etc.) am I doing myself a disservice if I purchase the 7th or 8th piano I have looked at? There are so many variables involved in the purchase of such a beautiful instrument! This is far more daunting than purchasing a vehicle! Grrrr! I suppose I am also SO very anxious to begin my journey of playing piano, that I need to pump the brakes and "Get off the gas" a bit and slow down to make sure my purchase is a wise one! In regards to the Hobart... Rickster, I too wish it were a bit bigger than 160cm. But... I truly loved the sound/feel of this instrument. The retailer offers a 10 year warranty on used instruments, and also guarantees 100% of the purchase value towards future trade-ins, even 10 years down the road. Sigh......so much to learn. So the retailer is asking $4950 for the Hobert (OBO), as this instrument is NOT on consignment as the Petrof is. I will be dealing directly with the dealer in regards to price negotiation. www.pianogallerydallas.com

I truly want to thank each and every one of you for responding to my posts here. I am sure that my inexperience in this process is ever so evident. As a college-educated professional, it feels rather icky to be so uneducated and uniformed about such an important purchase. All I want to do is pursue my dreams of once again playing piano!

Last edited by Becca Allford; 05/22/17 01:38 AM.
OP Offline
huaidongxi!!!! You're absolutely correct! The Hyundai was waaay too small and the sound quality was sub par. The Prezina's, in my humble opinion, are aesthetically beautiful! I was under the impression that Prezina's parts come from Eastern Europe (among other regions of the world) and are shipped to China for assembly only (at a Prezina-owned factory versus a factory which assembles pianos for numerous manufactures.... I could be totally wrong here). Having said this, I feel the new Prezina's are out of my price range at this time (unless I finance, which I would prefer not to do as I feel that $5,000 would feasibly purchase me an instrument that which satisfies my needs at THIS stage in the game...although, I am perpetually second guessing myself at this moment! Ugh) I suppose I should research the Hobart more thoroughly, however, GOOGLE, leaves a lot to be desired when attempting to collect any knowledge of the G52td of which I have fallen in love with.

OP Offline
Rickster... THANK YOU!! Your responses always make me feel like less of an idiot and more hopeful that I might one day find the perfect piano! I had the same "gut feeling" about the Petrof! It just didn't have the "WOW FACTOR" that it was built up to have. I truly don't know why the Hobart felt so good and sounded JUST as amazing (if not more so) than the Petrof! Obviously, I could tell a drastic difference in sound quality, as well as how the keys felt to touch, between the Hobart 160cm and the Samick 160cm. Stark difference, even to an untrained ear. I must say I do have somewhat of a musical background, as I also play the cornet (although it is not my desired musical instrument of choice, but rather a following bestowed upon me by my late Father and his love for the 1940's Selmer which he handed down to me). I know this is in no way comparable to understanding the differences in a "dud" piano and a "spectacular" one or even a "mediocre" one, however, I do feel as if I have the slightest "ear" for detecting major differences in instruments... who knows!

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Becca, yes the differences between pianos are quite visceral. world class pianists are sometimes given a selection of the same model and size of piano from the same company to choose from, and make distinctions between the instruments. different dealers prep and tune their inventory to different degrees of care and competence, which is a huge potential variable with used pianos, in many new pianos as well. it sounds like you've already learned a lot -- my suggestion is to keep looking, since your area seems to have plenty of possibilities, as long as your 'learning curve' keeps on the ascent. within another five to ten pianos you'll probably have enough confidence to make a decision.

Ok, you've been to DFW Piano Gallery...Did they have a W175 Weber in stock? for what it is, it's a pretty decent piano and they sell them for about 9K, new. I think that's about the floor for a new one and you would end up financing not a big sum.

Also, while you're looking at retail, go play a Rittmuller. The 5'7" when tuned is very nice and actually sings. Not in tune, not so much. But there was a dealer in Dallas...It is out of your budget, but worth a look if you;'re thinking of moving up.

Now....if that is still too rich for your blood, educate yourself and keep looking, because it's gonna be used. What you want is out there and remember, in a used piano, condition is king.

If you were closer, I'd tell you to take a look at this piano:

https://natchez.craigslist.org/msd/6096558098.html

Yes, it's Chinese, but when it was built it was one of the better Chinese built pianos and it is in nice shape. So stuff does exist and I'm sure you can find it in the DFW area, you just have to be patient.

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Originally Posted by Jolly
Ok, you've been to DFW Piano Gallery...Did they have a W175 Weber in stock? for what it is, it's a pretty decent piano and they sell them for about 9K, new. I think that's about the floor for a new one and you would end up financing not a big sum.

I second the recommendation for the new Weber W175.

Watch this......impressive given the price point.

https://youtu.be/lnuYYWA7x14

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Carey
Originally Posted by Jolly

I second the recommendation for the new Weber W175.

Watch this......impressive given the price point.

https://youtu.be/lnuYYWA7x14

I am not an expert by any means, but if it is "newer," I would be careful with the Weber without a very close inspection under the hood by someone who knows what to look for. I recently spent two hours over a hot stove un-warping some warped key sticks that had caused a virtual hill in the seventh octave (from E7 to G7). The keyboard looked very strange, to be sure, with that lump of keys up there! This was a model WG-150, and it looked like a solid conservatory piano on the outside (except for those keys all crashed together in a heap), and it even sounded very nice when tuned, but on the inside, it was cheap wood and shoddy craftsmanship (for instance, caddy-whompus back check placement in the key sticks--someone was drilling holes a little fast that day...). To be fair, I have also observed warped key sticks on a "brand new" Mason & Hamlin fine grand. The piano was a year old from purchase when the warping caused the back of the key sticks to rub together on the M & H.

For used pianos, personally, I am a fan of vintage models in good condition. They are built like tanks, and any problems with wood seasoning will have been revealed at this point... wink

I am interested in your response to the Hobart Cable. Can you tell us more? There is a principle that says that one knows one's piano when one finds it. grin A few years ago, I helped a friend find an upright, and we used our patience. It came around on Craig's List, a 1930s-era Hobart Cable in excellent condition that plays and sings like a dream.

Be encouraged, Becca. Patience and diligence are your friends. Your piano is out there.

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
P
P
Did you look at either of the Baldwin Ms when you were there at DFW piano gallery? The are highly regarded small grands around here, and I know I love mine. They might be willing to negotiate on price.

Peter
1949 Baldwin M
currently working on Brahms op. 10 Ballades, f-minor sonata and 2nd concerto
Mendelssohn Songs Without Words and E minor Prelude and Fugue
whatever strikes my fancy today.
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Andy, you probably know this already, the Hobart Cable of the 1930s was american made and no connection whatsoever with the pianos made in China with the name for the past forty years or so. a tyro in piano shopping might get lucky with one of the first pianos they find they can afford, but for their peace of mind with the decision, gaining a bit more data and empirical knowledge won't hurt.

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Becca, if you haven't learned this already, the new Weber pianos are from a korean company that's built a decent reputation, Young Chang. Weber is one of their two top brands, and my understanding is, the model being recommended to you had significant design input, including its scale and soundboard, from the eminent american Del Fandrich. since Baldwins were suggested for you, Mr.Fandrich also contributed to some of their grand pianos.

D
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
D
Do yourself a favor and at least visit other proprietors in DFW. My experience there left me feeling very distrustful, I am sorry to say. Have had positive experiences at all other dealers here.

Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear
I am not an expert by any means, but if it is "newer," I would be careful with the Weber without a very close inspection under the hood by someone who knows what to look for. I recently spent two hours over a hot stove un-warping some warped key sticks that had caused a virtual hill in the seventh octave (from E7 to G7). The keyboard looked very strange, to be sure, with that lump of keys up there! This was a model WG-150, and it looked like a solid conservatory piano on the outside (except for those keys all crashed together in a heap), and it even sounded very nice when tuned, but on the inside, it was cheap wood and shoddy craftsmanship (for instance, caddy-whompus back check placement in the key sticks--someone was drilling holes a little fast that day...). To be fair, I have also observed warped key sticks on a "brand new" Mason & Hamlin fine grand. The piano was a year old from purchase when the warping caused the back of the key sticks to rub together on the M & H.
Back in the day (like 15 years ago) the WG-150 was a cheaper Weber built in China, while the higher end Weber grands (WG-51, WG-57, WG-60 etc. ) were built by Young Chang in South Korea. The new Webers (W), as designed by Del Fandrich, are built in China but are much better than the earlier Chinese models. The higher quality Albert Weber (AW) line is built in Korea. But Andy is correct...it's.always a good idea to have someone "in the know" check under the hood.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
OP Offline
Andy, Peter, Carey, Jolly, Rickster, and huaidongxi . Thank you for your comments! I can't describe why the Hobart felt so amazing! So, obviously, this is my first rodeo purchasing a piano. I took the plunge and bought the Hobart today! The Hobart sounded very nice BEFORE it was tuned... and today, it sounded even more perfect. It's actually a 2010 model GH-52F in a beautiful polished mahogany finish. Piano Gallery offers a 10 year warranty in which they guarantee a trade in for the exact purchase price, if one decides to trade "up" for twice the original purchase price. MORE importantly, if within the first year, I decide this is NOT the piano for me, they will credit me the entire purchase price for another instrument of my choice, regardless of price of different instrument. So, there you have it. Thank you ALL SO MUCH for the advice and support!

https://www.facebook.com/rebecca.bruner.77/posts/10211931213889709

Congratulations on your new baby grand piano, Becca!! It sounds like you did your due diligence, shopped around, asked questions here on PW, and then made your decision! Good for you! And, it certainly sounds like you are contented with your decision. That's as important as the piano itself.

Despite all the advice you may get here, and most of the active members here like to give piano advice, including myself, your happiness and contentment is what matters the most. The piano will be sitting in your living room, and not ours. smile

And, you can admire it, touch it, and play it every single day!! smile Post pictures when you can; it's a tradition here on PW.

Wishing you all the best, and happy piano playing!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
D
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
D
Many congratulations!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by huaidongxi
Andy, you probably know this already, the Hobart Cable of the 1930s was american made and no connection whatsoever with the pianos made in China with the name for the past forty years or so. [...]

I did not know that, exactly. But when I saw Becca reply to Rickster's mention of Craigslist, I thought it was worth lobbying for a look at a vintage piano.

Originally Posted by Carey
[...] Back in the day (like 15 years ago) the WG-150 was a cheaper Weber built in China, while the higher end Weber grands (WG-51, WG-57, WG-60 etc. ) were built by Young Chang in South Korea. The new Webers (W), as designed by Del Fandrich, are built in China but are much better than the earlier Chinese models. The higher quality Albert Weber (AW) line is built in Korea. [...]

I did not know that, either! Thanks, Carey! I will say that running into warped key sticks on two gorgeously-solid-looking-on-the-outside pianos within a short time from each other has made me wary about things. eek

Becca -- CONGRATULATIONS! May your piano give you many, many hours of enjoyment! thumb

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
Enjoy your new friend and may it give you many years of pleasure!

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.

Congratulations Becca !! And kudos to your husband. It always helps to have a supportive spouse when it comes to pursuing your passion and making a large purchase. thumb The purchase price, warranty, trade up poiicy, and return policy all seem quite fair. Enjoy your new piano - and best of luck to you !

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission