2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,776 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The MIDI protocol is quite simple, then there is one way to send pedal moves, one way to send note-on and two ways to send Note off (as a note off or as a note on with a null velocity). If you have variations it can be because of the sustain resolution (my piano send only 7 values).

You may simply have a bug in EWQL Pianos which is not really an incompatibility issue.

I haven't understood the chronology press the sustain, press the c#, release the sustain and hear the dropout. Does it work with only one note? Perhaps sending a MIDI file woild help.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
I haven't understood the chronology press the sustain, press the c#, release the sustain and hear the dropout. Does it work with only one note? Perhaps sending a MIDI file woild help.

I experienced some drop outs on a few other notes. It doesn't always drop out when i just play the effected note alone, but when the note appears between other notes while playing a piece and i happen to be repedaling on that note it might drop out. Unless this bug only appeared as i was packing up the PX5s and setting up the MP11, i'd say it has something to do with the MP11.

Come to think about it when i first set up the MP11 the pedal was stuck on sustain and i discovered a switch on the bottom of my M-Audio sustain pedal that i had to switch over in order for it to work normally. Maybe the pedal is at fault? But again, never had this problem with PX5s.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Bouncy Nugget
Originally Posted by Kawai James
May I ask what was the cause for the non-functioning note in your piano software...were you using the Pianoteq trial version, perhaps? wink

I have no idea. I never noticed this on my PX5s, but it seems one note is messing up only with EWQL Pianos. Kontakt pianos like The Grandeur are working fine, and the Kawai MP11 on board sound is also fine. I should have checked the on board sound to begin with before deciding it wasn't working right.

It's a strange problem where sometimes C# above middle C drops out if i release the sustain pedal very shortly after pressing the note. Sometimes it doesn't do it, some other times it does it consistently. I haven't replicated the problem with anything other than QL Pianos so far.

I was not happy at all with the EWQL pianos. I was on the Composer Cloud, so it was just a part of the package. Glad I didn't spend money on them specifically.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
Originally Posted by Frédéric L

I experienced some drop outs on a few other notes. It doesn't always drop out when i just play the effected note alone, but when the note appears between other notes while playing a piece and i happen to be repedaling on that note it might drop out. Unless this bug only appeared as i was packing up the PX5s and setting up the MP11, i'd say it has something to do with the MP11.

Come to think about it when i first set up the MP11 the pedal was stuck on sustain and i discovered a switch on the bottom of my M-Audio sustain pedal that i had to switch over in order for it to work normally. Maybe the pedal is at fault? But again, never had this problem with PX5s.

Could be. I recommend using a pedal that is compatible with the MP11 and see if you experience the same problems.

I've been using my MP11 with software pianos for a while (and other instruments) and haven't experienced this problem, so my guess is there's something in your setup.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G

Oh, that's definitely worth exploring more. On my MP11, I get all kinds of weird artifacts (including the sustain-on-power-on) using extremely common third party pedals (Yamaha FC3A).

A couple of things worth testing:

1. The MP11 lets you reverse polarity from the control panel. You can also calibrate the sustain pedal input so it's aware of the full range of the pot/switch on your pedal. It's worth playing with all those settings to see if it makes a difference.

2. The MP11 combines the sostenuto and sustain into a single 1/4" jack. I don't know how it differentiates the signal, but if you don't have a middle pedal, I'd recommend disabling it in the SYSTEM->PEDAL menu, just in case your M-Audio is sending some spurious signal that is confusing it.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
With a TRS jack, as used for stereo signal, you can easily have two pedals, but is not "standard".

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Come to think about it when i first set up the MP11 the pedal was stuck on sustain and i discovered a switch on the bottom of my M-Audio sustain pedal that i had to switch over in order for it to work normally. Maybe the pedal is at fault?

Is there a reason why you're not using the F-30 pedal unit included with the MP11?
Please note that the MP11 is designed to work with the F-30 pedal unit only. Other pedals are not supported.

But again, never had this problem with PX5s.

I don't believe the PX5S's pedal connectors support half-pedalling.
Assuming that your M-Audio pedal is a simple on/off switch pedal, it will work fine with the Casio, and should also work correctly when connected to the MP11's SOFT jack (which is wired such on/off switch pedals).

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
B
OP Offline
B
I was unaware the pedals were inlcuded with the MP11. I guess they're in the box still. I have a sustain pedal and soft pedal right now, both M-Audio. So one is in the sustain jack and the other in the soft jack. Soft works fine.

I would check it out but i think there is a possible exchange for an MP7 in the making at the moment so i will wait for that. I'm thinking the MP7 software would work much the same so i might have to trouble shoot this same issue.

Last edited by Bouncy Nugget; 05/19/17 04:27 AM.
I was unaware the pedals were inlcuded with the MP11. I guess they're in the box still.

Yes, the F-30 triple pedal unit is included with the MP11, and referenced in the owner's manual. We wouldn't manufacture a piano-oriented stage instrument and not include a pedal unit. Please use this F-30 pedal unit with the MP11.

I have a sustain pedal and soft pedal right now, both M-Audio. So one is in the sustain jack and the other in the soft jack. Soft works fine.

The Soft pedal will probably work fine, however I don't believe the sustain pedal will work correctly. It *may* send simple pedal on/off events, but most likely will not allow progressive/half-pedalling. You can perhaps check this point by assigning an effect parameter (with a range of 0~127) to the damper pedal, and watching for the values of that parameter change in the LCD when pressing the pedal. If progressive pedalling is working, there will be a smooth increase from 0~127. If not, it will simply be 0 or 127. Of course, you can also monitor the pedal CC# messages using software such as Pianoteq.

I would check it out but i think there is a possible exchange for an MP7 in the making at the moment so i will wait for that.

Hmm...it's your choice of course, but surely it would only take a couple of minutes to find the F-30 pedal in your MP11's box, plug it in, and check if it resolves the issues you're experiencing in EWQL?

I'm thinking the MP7 software would work much the same so i might have to trouble shoot this same issue.

The MP11/MP7 software is similar, however the pedal connection hardware is different. As mentioned previously, the MP7 includes the F-10H single pedal, but can also use the F-30 triple pedal if purchased as an accessory. The MP11 can only use the included F-30 triple pedal, and does not support the F-10H single pedal.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

B
OP Offline
B
I think i'll leave it boxed just because it would be better to leave it untouched for the exchange.

I recorded some sustain pedal messages in my DAW with the M-Audio and found it goes from 0 to 127, but there was one random 25 in there. The exchange still might not happen so i'll be sure to whip out the pedals if my request is rejected, which it may very well be.

I think i'll leave it boxed just because it would be better to leave it untouched for the exchange.

Again, it's up to you... however, given that the MP11 itself has already been unboxed (and used), I'm not sure an untouched pedal unit will have a great deal of impact on the exchange.

I recorded some sustain pedal messages in my DAW with the M-Audio and found it goes from 0 to 127

So to clarify, the M-Audio pedal is sending just two values: 0 and 127 - there is not a steady increase of values in between?

...but there was one random 25

This suggests that the M-Audio pedal is not working correctly with the MP11.

The exchange still might not happen so i'll be sure to whip out the pedals if my request is rejected, which it may very well be.

May I ask you to explain your motivation for wishing to exchange the MP11 for the MP7, please?

Kind regards,
James
x

M
M
FWIW, I had forgotten my F-03 pedal unit one summer, and so I had to use a generic on/off pedal. That worked fine, but definitely not capable of the nuances that having a continuous pedal.

How does the pedal work with the onboard sounds on the MP11? What about with different software pianos? It's possible that it's an issue with the EWQL pianos - I don't even think it supports half-pedaling or continuous pedal. Here's from the manual:

Sustain Pedal
MIDI Control Code 64 can be used to create the same effect as the sustain pedal (right- most pedal) on a piano. CC64 is an on/off code. To turn the pedal “on,” PLAY must receive a value of 127 (the maximum value); every other value is interpreted as “off.”

I'm not sure if this is part of the problem.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Morodiene
I'm not sure if this is part of the problem.

Not sure. The problem is some notes playing staccato when i release the pedal, even though i'm holding the note down.

Yes, the M-Audio only does on/off, nothing in between.

The exchange is to do with the way the action responds to my playing and the fact that it has a minimum velocity. Sometimes i even play too delicately and the notes don't even register because i don't make it past the let off point. If i play hard enough to get past the let off it becomes too loud. I also underestimated the inconvenience of the size and weight of the MP11. Even without the exchange i will probably end up selling it.

B
OP Offline
B
Hey. Here is an update.

I got the MP7 exchange and i'm much happier now. The MP7 action isn't as light as i had said. Not sure how i got that impression. It is about the same as a Casio PX5s, but a lot quieter and has a more sturdy feel to it and possibly more shallow.

The MP7 has letoff like the MP11 but it doesn't seem to affect the response of the keyboard the same way, maybe just because the actions are different. The MP7 may also have a minimum note velocity but it seems to be much lower. I can play everything just like i could on the PX5s. I haven't experienced any weirdness with my M-Audio pedals either.

The MP11 undeniably feels so much better to play on, but the MP7 response is what i am used to.

One last thing i want to mention. The MP7 synthetic ivory feel keys feel okay and are the same on the black and white keys. It's kind of plastic like really. The MP11 i received had something different on the black keys then it had on the white keys. The black keys felt very smooth and dry and i could not get a grip on them at all. Chopin's black key etude was a nightmare to play.

Last edited by Bouncy Nugget; 06/14/17 06:34 AM.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission