2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, Carey, 7 invisible), 2,073 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
OP Offline
W
Today I looked at an ebony satin Kawai GM-12 selling for $6999 purchased in 2007. It took 45 minutes to get to the piano which means my technician probably won't make the drive. While I wait to see if there's another one available closer to the piano, I was wondering if you could address my concerns:

- I used a paper towel along the strings and some rust rubbed off. Strings are still metallic gray but can see small bits of dust.
- I don’t think the soundboard was cracked but it was extremely dusty.
- There were scratches on the board above the keys from normal playing.
- There was a long scratch on the outside from where the vacuum cleaner bumped into the piano.

Otherwise, everything else seemed to check out fine and it sounded good to us. He said he tuned it occasionally. The last time was 3 years ago. From a busy family of 4kids who all attempted to play with lots of animals including 3 dogs.

Are these enough red flags to pass on this piano? What would it take to fix/clean these things and anyone know a typical cost? Can the fixing/cleaning be done when the piano is in our house?

Thanks!

Last edited by wongson36; 05/17/17 12:59 AM.
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Without seeing the piano personally, I couldn't make a judgement call on this instrument. What you describe happens in many homes where there is a piano, but it is not terribly high on the priorities list.

I will also say that the GM series has never impressed me from day one. It is the cheapest Kawai built at the time and the tone is not great in comparison to what else is available. Have you visited www.pianobuyer.com yet?

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
Better values available in some of the more recent vintage Chinese stuff, particularly if one moves up to around five and a half feet.

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
Online Content
In my view, Rich's opinion here carries a lot of weight, as well as Jolly's. And, at $7K, I wouldn't say the piano was necessarily a bargain.

On the other hand, you and your family are going to be the owners, players and curators of the piano. So, it's what YOU think that matters most. It sounds like the piano would likely clean up nicely, and you said it sounded good to you.

Since I have not seen or played a Kawai GM12, I cannot comment further, other than to say that Kawai in general is a well respected brand from entry-level to professional level.

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Congrats for thinking of the paper towel test. Haven't heard it recommended, but it makes sense to me. Ten years seems a little short to see rust. Interested in what others think. I think fixing that vacuum scratch is going to be a bigger deal on an ebony finish. You didn't mention what it had. Scratches on the fallboard are caused by ladies (no offense, ladies).

Online Content
Originally Posted by tend to rush
Congrats for thinking of the paper towel test. Haven't heard it recommended, but it makes sense to me. Ten years seems a little short to see rust. Interested in what others think. I think fixing that vacuum scratch is going to be a bigger deal on an ebony finish. You didn't mention what it had. Scratches on the fallboard are caused by ladies (no offense, ladies).

For the sake of argument/debate, I am not sure if raw piano wire comes coated with a light coat of oil, but it might. Even so, untreated raw metal (if not stainless or other rust-resistant metal) will start to form oxidation/rust within hours of being exposed to the atmosphere. I would not be alarmed by very thin spots of rust on non-wound piano strings, unless it is built up pretty heavily possibly causing pitting on the piano wire.

Also, for the sake of argument, I've seen unwound piano strings on old upright piano with a consistent coating or tarnish or oxidation/rust that appeared to have little or no affect on the tone of the note.

Every pre-owned piano I've ever purchased, which is several (I loose count) has had minor surface rust on the strings (even if barely visible). A quick rubbing/cleaning of the strings with 0000 steel wool works wonders.

The paper-towel test is a good one, but I'd dare to say that one may have the same result (slight rust stains on the paper towel) on a new piano freshly uncrated.

On the other hand, visible rust and corrosion of wound strings is not good. And, it is not as easily cleaned as plain wire strings.

The best way to protect piano strings is to keep the humidity level under control within the environment where the piano resides.

Just my .02, which comes with a .02 discount. grin

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Although this piano is only 10 years old, the few comments about the dusty soundboard, scatches and the last tuning being 3 years ago, do not suggest that this piano has been well looked after or maintained.

Only a professional technician can give you a thorough assessment of this piano which could even be a nice instrument which has had little playing.

However, the cost of having it cleaned up should also be considered in any negotiation about the price.

Personally, I would look at the slightly longer Kawai RX-1 which is a better quality piano and would probably give you a warmer, more mellow sound than its competitors of a similar size.

Kind regards,

Robert.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission