2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Okay, so I messed around with this and hopefully came up with something helpful. Here it is in a couple easy steps.

The first picture shows the strip of card stock cut and folded, ready to be inserted and glued. Insert the lower part of it first as it's a bit harder to get in between the coils. Attach the edges with a dot of glue, put a paperclip on until dry. Do the top one and you're done. smile
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Spiral and coil bound books can sag if the covers protrude past the edge of the pages at the bottom. To prevent this, insure that the bottom edge of the cover and bottom edge of the pages are flush at the bottom.

They can also sag if they are not held tightly on the shelf. To prevent this you can use a heavy bookend to squish them together or cut pieces of thin plywood or corrugated cardboard to put between the books. Or both. You'll still need some pressure on the ends to keep the books from sagging but somewhat less if you use spacers like that between them.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I had one of my christmas books coil bound. It cost more than I thought it would. In future I will only do this with important books.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DutchTea
Okay, so I messed around with this and hopefully came up with something helpful. Here it is in a couple easy steps.

The first picture shows the strip of card stock cut and folded, ready to be inserted and glued. Insert the lower part of it first as it's a bit harder to get in between the coils. Attach the edges with a dot of glue, put a paperclip on until dry. Do the top one and you're done. smile
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

This is a great solution. Very creative! To make it even easier. Attach the label to a twist tie, then attach in a similar manner. That way the glue step is on the counter and you don't need the paper clip.

Oooo, nice. So, punch a hole in the ends for the twist tie to go into? I was also thinking, after I already posted this of course, that tape could be applied to the label for added strength, so the paper wouldn't tear. That would work especially well with the twist tie approach.

D
D
Originally Posted by DutchTea
Oooo, nice. So, punch a hole in the ends for the twist tie to go into? I was also thinking, after I already posted this of course, that tape could be applied to the label for added strength, so the paper wouldn't tear. That would work especially well with the twist tie approach.

Another option is to use tyvek instead of paper for the label, and it shouldn't need the tape. I like the idea of using twist ties, or perhaps small zip ties, as I think you'd be able to fold the book back on itself still, if needed.

Linda
Yamaha N1X
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] XLVII
If you want to take the time and get fancy, you could color code the labels by genre.

D
D
Originally Posted by dancingfish
Another option is to use tyvek instead of paper for the label, and it shouldn't need the tape. I like the idea of using twist ties, or perhaps small zip ties, as I think you'd be able to fold the book back on itself still, if needed.

I thought I'd mention another tip if anyone is interested in making labels from tyvek. Tyvek is commonly used for temporary wristbands, so it is very available in this form. I learned this when taking a precision color textile dyeing class, where we used these wristbands to create labels for our color tests, and zipties to attach the labels to the swatches being dyed. The adhesive section on the end of the wristband is cut off, the labels cut to size and notes were written on them in fine sharpie.

If I get around to trying this as a label on a spiral bound book (I think I already have need of this!), I'll post a picture.

Linda
Yamaha N1X
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] XLVII
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission