Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
New in our online store...
Hand Crafted Key Holder
Made From Real Piano Keys
By our resident crafter Kathy, right here at Piano World headquarters in Maine.

Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
78 registered members (blackdeman, Angelos58, Bill Reed, Adam., 26 invisible), 627 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What kind of folders do you have to keep your sheet music in #2644702
05/18/17 11:05 AM
05/18/17 11:05 AM
C
Cutestpuppie Offline OP
Cutestpuppie  Offline OP
C
I am looking for a good Piano folder to buy to keep my pieces in a neat manner. Are there folders specifically for Piano? Nothing too large that don't fit on the Pianos stand? Also when you attend to your Piano lessons do you have the sheets bare or do you have it in a folder? My sheets are all creased up and battered because I just bring in the sheets bare inside my backpack lol.

Any good recommendations? Appreciate it smile

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: What kind of folders do you have to keep your sheet music in [Re: Cutestpuppie] #2644704
05/18/17 11:11 AM
05/18/17 11:11 AM
Orange County, California
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Orange County, California
I use a 3 ring binder.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
SoundCloud
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: What kind of folders do you have to keep your sheet music in [Re: Cutestpuppie] #2644717
05/18/17 12:01 PM
05/18/17 12:01 PM
Minneapolis
SonatainfSharp Offline
500 Post Club Member
SonatainfSharp  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Minneapolis
For public domain music that I get off of IMSLP or PDFs that I print from current composers, I store everything in three ring binders with pages taped back to back. I then pull them out and spread them across the piano as my music rack is the entire front of the piano. If I am printing from a source bigger than 8.5x11, then I reduce to 93% when I print to fit onto 8.5x11 and into the binder.

So, three ring binder for storage and transportation; spread out for playing (I would never even try to play from a binder).

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!
Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony [2017]
Re: What kind of folders do you have to keep your sheet music in [Re: Cutestpuppie] #2644731
05/18/17 12:34 PM
05/18/17 12:34 PM
Florida
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline
Silver Subscriber
Florida
I have purchased a three-ring binder that lays flat-- designed for musical scores.
Very pricey, but it's great: lays flat, easy page turns. It works great for church preludes where have a number of scores from different sources.
https://www.musicfolder.com/music-folders/deluxe-black-folder

At the time of performance/'working on it' , anything copied is put into plastic sleeves and then the binder
If just part of my (too) large collection of music, the score pages are just paper-clipped together until they graduate to a working piece.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: What kind of folders do you have to keep your sheet music in [Re: Cutestpuppie] #2644744
05/18/17 01:01 PM
05/18/17 01:01 PM
Florida
cmb13 Offline
Silver Level
cmb13  Offline
Silver Level
Florida
I also use a three ring binder, somewhat nice with a leather cover, and put in the plastic sheets from office depot. I have them organized by genre. I write anything important on the paper, like fingering or other unique marks, then when I'm satisfied with my markups, I reprint it on nice linen paper as I've heard (and believe) it is easier on the eyes.

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy - La fille aux cheveux de lin
Bach - Adagio 974
Re: What kind of folders do you have to keep your sheet music in [Re: Cutestpuppie] #2644754
05/18/17 01:50 PM
05/18/17 01:50 PM
SE USA
WhoDwaldi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
WhoDwaldi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
SE USA
For loose sheets, perhaps try band/orchestra folders?

http://www.1800usaband.com/products/view/1618

WhoDwaldi
Re: What kind of folders do you have to keep your sheet music in [Re: dogperson] #2644759
05/18/17 01:59 PM
05/18/17 01:59 PM
Minneapolis
SonatainfSharp Offline
500 Post Club Member
SonatainfSharp  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Minneapolis
Originally Posted by dogperson
I have purchased a three-ring binder that lays flat-- designed for musical scores.
Very pricey, but it's great: lays flat, easy page turns. It works great for church preludes where have a number of scores from different sources.

At the time of performance/'working on it' , anything copied is put into plastic sleeves and then the binder
If just part of my (too) large collection of music, the score pages are just paper-clipped together until they graduate to a working piece.

That is a great folder there!

Funny about the paper clips because my music stays bound by paperclips before it deserves to graduate into the binder, too.

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!
Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony [2017]
Re: What kind of folders do you have to keep your sheet music in [Re: dogperson] #2644765
05/18/17 02:15 PM
05/18/17 02:15 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Boynton Beach, FL

Hmm, the one you referenced her isn't a 3-ring binder, and it uses elastic straps to keep sheet music in place. There's also a band that prevents the folder from opening completely - great for choir music, but I'm guessing you didn't link to the folder you meant to?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: What kind of folders do you have to keep your sheet music in [Re: Morodiene] #2644769
05/18/17 02:21 PM
05/18/17 02:21 PM
Florida
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline
Silver Subscriber
Florida
Originally Posted by Morodiene

Hmm, the one you referenced her isn't a 3-ring binder, and it uses elastic straps to keep sheet music in place. There's also a band that prevents the folder from opening completely - great for choir music, but I'm guessing you didn't link to the folder you meant to?

If you continue with the item(deluxe folder ) you can customize the deluxe to have a three ring binder which is completey removable. the band has a snap so that the folder lays flat

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho
Re: What kind of folders do you have to keep your sheet music in [Re: Cutestpuppie] #2644793
05/18/17 03:28 PM
05/18/17 03:28 PM
SE USA
WhoDwaldi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
WhoDwaldi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
SE USA
With 3-ring binders, the 3/4 inch size for rings seems superior to me. The 1/2 inch ones bind in the center when turning, and the 1 inch and larger ones let the pages sag away from the middle (and are very heavy when full).

3/4 inch binders are very difficult to find, however.

Also, beware brass corners on anything because of the dangers of scratching the music desk.

WhoDwaldi
Re: What kind of folders do you have to keep your sheet music in [Re: Cutestpuppie] #2644835
05/18/17 05:14 PM
05/18/17 05:14 PM
Spain
A
Albunea Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Albunea  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
Spain
[Linked Image]

Re: What kind of folders do you have to keep your sheet music in [Re: Cutestpuppie] #2644872
05/18/17 06:38 PM
05/18/17 06:38 PM
Pianocat3 Offline
Pianocat3  Offline
I do much like sonatainfsharp does, up to 4 pages across. I also have a music rack across the entire piano. What I do different is page 1 and 2 are hole punched, 3 and 4 are trimmed narrow and taped to page 2. It all stays in the binder while I play. More than 4 pages, I improvise. Usually I have the first two pages taped together with hole punched in page 2 and page 3 also hole punched. Then I turn over page 3 and there are pages 4 5 6 prearranged. All that's out the window if it's more than 6 pages. I don't mind scrunchy old printing, so so far I've not had much trouble. My teacher will page turn during performance so I haven't got it figured out what else to do other than practice turns. When I'm learning pieces, I just have every page hole punched. I use an inexpensive binder. I think it's 1". I think I would prefer 1/2" binders, but I had a few 1" already.

Moderated by  BB Player, casinitaly 

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Timbre of a wound string
by Beemer. 04/23/18 04:15 AM
Have we piano's pitch to playing of an ensemble?
by Maximillyan. 04/23/18 03:03 AM
My impression of the Kawai sound
by nahai430. 04/23/18 01:46 AM
Playing Chopin-type fast runs
by Deckie. 04/22/18 11:06 PM
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Pianist Magazine
Pianist Magazine - Play Debussy
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics185,189
Posts2,711,988
Members90,049
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission