2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Carey, brdwyguy, David Boyce, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, 10 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline

Is this 5' 3.5" piano, serial #145367 F, private sale asking price $5000 CDN worth a consideration?
According to the piano blue book it was built in the late '20s. From the posted photos it seems to be in a
reasonable condition. Yes, I know a tech will need to inspect it and I play it, but since I'm just starting my search and am
in no hurry to buy, I'm curious since Chickering seem to be a well respect piano on this forum. And no, I do not, short of buying
a new home, have space for a larger piano. An upright is out of the question for various reasons. Currently have a Kawai CA67.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello, TD.

I've been told before by one member in particular that I give bad advice here on PW. I certainly do not want to give bad advice or deliberately intend to give bad advice, but what can you expect for free, right? smile

With that said, I have read that the older Chickering brand was well respected in its day, until bought out by Aeolian, but in all honesty, if the piano is in original, unrestored condition, I would suggest it's value is half that, $2500, or even less. When you start looking at having a grand piano completely rebuilt, you are looking at new car prices (and not a small car).

On the other hand, if the piano has had some restoration done in the past, it may well be worth $5000. I'd definitely have a qualified piano tech (not associated with the seller) evaluate the piano.

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Really well preserved Chickerings from this era hold great prospects for enjoyment. Have an independent tech inspect it though. In some ways a piano technician is more important than the exact piano you get, if the technician is really, really good. But of course your comfort, esthetics and budget must be accommodated.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Rick:

With respect, I think that there has been a lot of trash-talk, especially on this forum, about the Rochester production, based on the period 1960 to their demise in the mid-80s. The pianos of the 30s and well into the 50s are mostly solid, so I'm reliably informed. There are some Chickering fanatics out there, folks that know everything there is to know about the mark, that actually admire the Rochester pianos. For that matter, not EVERYTHING that left the Boston works was pristine. The inspirational thing about the firm is that, for so many years, they kept striving to improve their work in so many and various ways.

Karl

Last edited by Karl Watson; 05/18/17 12:26 PM.
L
L
I have Chickering grand # 146,575. It must be close to the age of the one you are looking at. I paid considerably less in what was a private sale, and it was back in the 1990's, but much of the finish is alligatored, and it had seen much playing time from the previous owner. Mine is plain mahogany. Somehow, the original matching bench has survived.

If your candidate is like my piano, its serial number is stamped onto a strut, along with the letter F. If I remember correctly, the letter F is how the piano is identified in the catalog of the time, as in Style F.. It is usually described as a 5'4". Mine has a number, 135, cast into the plate, more or less between the bass bridge and the rim. (The piano is not at hand at the moment.). I believe this identifies the scale. If you are curious, the Antique Piano Shop has a period catalog in the Online Museum on their website..

There are posts in this forum about, let us say, atypical designs in some Chickerings. From what I can tell, and from what my technician tells me, the action in mine is not an unusual one. I would characterize the action as relatively light. Despite continued heavy use and multiple moves during my ownership, it has been very dependable. The tuning stability is impressive.

For what it's worth, Stephen Hough tried mine once and liked it.

I think Mr. McMorrow's use of the word enjoyment is apt. I enjoy mine very much.

LAP

LAP
Henry F. Miller Pedal Piano, Decker Brothers Concert Grand, Knabe Grand, Chickering 135 Grand, Mathushek Orchestral Square, Baldwin Hamilton, Challis Harpsichord
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
In the 1980's during the brief ownership period of Peter Perez, the quality of workmanship was greatly improved. I really liked Mr. Perez and wish the high interest rates of the time hadn't killed his dreams.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
In the 1980's during the brief ownership period of Peter Perez, the quality of workmanship was greatly improved. I really liked Mr. Perez and wish the high interest rates of the time hadn't killed his dreams.

This is probably OT here, but I built my current house in 1980. The prime interest rate at the time was like 18%. My first mortgage interest rate was 12.5%, and my wife and I had excellent credit.

To make this post relevant, I can see why the high interest rates of that time period could stifle any business.

Interesting comments on the Chickering grands.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission