Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
100 registered members (Bachus, Artur Gajewski, BarryR, bagovarna, Animisha, 31 invisible), 1,043 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 35 of 44 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 43 44
Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: RolandRD2000] #2643904
05/15/17 09:30 PM
05/15/17 09:30 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kawai James  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted by RolandRD2000
I just manually played that in over the top of what I recorded, using an addictive drums plug-in as the sound source! So I didn't actually get any of that groove to play over when recording the scat annoyingly!

Ah, nicely done! The drum samples (especially the cymbals) sound great.

Did you have any metronome/tempo guide when recording the scat parts initially?

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 fan & occasional rare groove player.
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: brooster] #2643931
05/16/17 12:06 AM
05/16/17 12:06 AM
F
FreakyPhingahz Offline
FreakyPhingahz  Offline
F

I'm liking the RD-2000 but the key bed feels almost like the fatar key bed of the Kurzweil Forte, not a bad thing just not on par with the great AP feel of the RD-700 & RD-800. With the sliders and key bed action it's almost a Forte replacement but the Kurz KB3 organ is superior. I'm crossing my fingers the AXIAL site will have an organ that will upgrade the onboard organ on the RD-2000... Roland you do this & the Forte has met it's match!! smile

Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: brooster] #2643967
05/16/17 04:07 AM
05/16/17 04:07 AM
Vught, The Netherlands
Dave Horne Online content
6000 Post Club Member
Dave Horne  Online Content
6000 Post Club Member

Vught, The Netherlands
I dropped off my RD 2000 at my local dealer (Klundert Muziek in Oisterwijk) and they couldn't have been nicer.

They will hand deliver the keyboard to Roland in Belgium next Monday.

My initial reason for contacting Roland was the update issue and then I also saw that the AUTO OFF (MENU \ SYSTEM scroll all the way down) didn't work as expected ... and then I discovered the key clicking that primarily affected the B keys and some of the A keys. The floor model's action didn't display that fault at all.

I should add that even though I've owned the keyboard for a month or so, I didn't start playing it as a real piano until a few days ago. I was more busy with learning the keyboard's operating system than actually playing it.

I'm certain the outcome will be fine. I'll report back when I know more.

website | mp3 files | Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: brooster] #2644055
05/16/17 10:58 AM
05/16/17 10:58 AM
Tennessee
B
brooster Offline OP
brooster  Offline OP
B

Tennessee
Bonners Roland RD2000 Stage Piano Walkthrough

Roland RD2000 Stage Piano Walkthrough The Important Features

The heavens declare the glory of God;
and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
(ad) SWEETWATER
Sweetwater 1000s of deals on Gear
Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: brooster] #2644115
05/16/17 02:53 PM
05/16/17 02:53 PM
Bachus Online content
Bachus  Online Content

Originally Posted by brooster

You realise they are just trying to sell the instrument...

Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: Bachus] #2644181
05/16/17 06:31 PM
05/16/17 06:31 PM
Tennessee
B
brooster Offline OP
brooster  Offline OP
B

Tennessee
Originally Posted by Bachus

You realise they are just trying to sell the instrument...

I've done a lot
God knows I've tried
To find the truth
I've even lied
But all I know
Is down inside I'm
Bleeding

And super heroes
Come to feast
To taste the flesh
Not yet deceased
And all I know
Is still the beast is
Feeding

And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time, and lost in space
And meaning
Meaning

Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: brooster] #2644270
05/17/17 05:16 AM
05/17/17 05:16 AM
Vught, The Netherlands
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Vught, The Netherlands
I'll see your lyrics and raise you a limerick ...

There once was a man from Havana
Scr***d a girl on a player piano
At the height of their fever
Her a** hit the lever
And Yes he has no banana...

website | mp3 files | Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: brooster] #2644324
05/17/17 09:04 AM
05/17/17 09:04 AM
T
Tim P Offline
Tim P  Offline
T

Clicked upon this thread
Not knowing it would lead to
Unexpected rhymes.

---

To sum up this thread
Some clatter, others do not,
But jazz scat can groove.

Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: brooster] #2644331
05/17/17 09:36 AM
05/17/17 09:36 AM
Tennessee
B
brooster Offline OP
brooster  Offline OP
B

Tennessee

Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: brooster] #2644593
05/18/17 03:27 AM
05/18/17 03:27 AM
Dorset, England
S
slipperykeys Offline
500 Post Club Member
slipperykeys  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

Dorset, England
The most disappointing thing this year was the Roland RD-2000 at NAMM 2017.

Good of you to keep re-posting this inaccurate comment.

As I have said before (Did you reply? I didn't look) you can make this comment about Steinway and Bosendorfer, most people can live with that.

Last edited by slipperykeys; 05/18/17 03:29 AM.
Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: slipperykeys] #2644601
05/18/17 04:30 AM
05/18/17 04:30 AM
Vught, The Netherlands
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Vught, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by slipperykeys

As I have said before (Did you reply? I didn't look) you can make this comment about Steinway and Bosendorfer, most people can live with that.

I tend to ignore silent profiles. smile

Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: brooster] #2644626
05/18/17 06:53 AM
05/18/17 06:53 AM
Tennessee
B
brooster Offline OP
brooster  Offline OP
B

Tennessee
Originally Posted by Rhodie73
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
That's two now- Dave and Macsaint/Ben. That's two too many.

Nord Piano/Fatar or Korg yes, it wouldn't surprise me. Roland or Yamaha = unacceptable.

An early, initial production run that has some glitches ? Again not acceptable.

Nord Piano/Fatar or Korg yes, it wouldn't surprise me. Roland or Yamaha = unacceptable.

In Dave Ferris's defense I had to return my Roland FP90 because of the same noises that Dave Horne mentioned about his RD2000. I also said to myself maybe it's just me, but I went to my local SamAsh and sat down at a new just put on the floor RD2000 and was able to reproduce the same clicky noise when playing fast passages of classical and jazz improvisation. So I can't pull the trigger on the Roland until this little production glitch is nonexistent. However I have had a Yamaha CP4 that I actually kept after owning several and returning or selling a couple, and I must say I do not notice any of the mentioned keybed issues. Just saying. I really wish Yamaha would just update the CP4 with their VRM DSP (Virtual Resonance Modeling) for their acoustic piano sounds and I would be done with going back and forth with stage pianos lol! As for Roland's new PHA-50 action I just don't know. It does feel good though!

Noisy keys and noisy defense of noisy keys.

Silence!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4

Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: slipperykeys] #2644643
05/18/17 07:38 AM
05/18/17 07:38 AM
NC
M
Macsaint777 Offline
Macsaint777  Offline
M

NC

In a way, Brooster is right. Roland is not making pianos, like the two you named above, but they are expected to innovate, not simply re-hash old technology. The RD-2000 (I have one) is essentially repackaged sound engines (even the V-Piano engine) in a well-made body with more MIDI control and a slightly better key action than has been seen in the RD series before. I personally love the changes, and don't miss my RD-800, but the fact that the sounds I make use of the most in the RD-2000, are also found in the RD-700 series, and the RD-800...is not lost on me. I wish Roland had done something NEW something innovative, something SURPRISING with the RD-2000. We have yet to see what the Axial expansions will be, because despite the promise that says "to be available in April" we are now nearly done with May, and no sign of Axial RD expansions to be seen. Though I can certainly use the V-Piano sounds from the RD-2000, truthfully, in a live performance situation and even just playing on my own, I use the SuperNATURAL pianos almost exclusively. They simply have more bite, more natural attack, and more depth than the V-Piano engine tones. I even hook up my Nord Electro 5D via MIDI and play the Nord Piano Library sounds with the RD-2000 more often than I play the V-Piano sounds. Those sounds DO record well, as the many YouTube videos attest, but to me at least, I just can't seem to adjust them to the point that I feel like I'm able to really play them like a real piano sample (yes, I realize they are modeled sounds, but even so..) The closest I have come, is making some low and high EQ adjustments with the Aco Piano 2 and 4 sounds, but even with the adjustments, I mainly stick to my own modified version of the NX Concert Grand and Mello NX Concert sounds.

I find myself frustrated by the huge amount of sounds this thing has in it, because even though they are quite useable, after owning a JP-80, 50, and for a short time, an Integra 7, I want those SuperNATURAL nuanced sounds here too! How hard would it have been to include say, the synths from the JP-80, or at least the strings? Truth be told, I am using the RD-2000 as a very expensive MIDI controller most of the time, mostly with Omnisphere and Kontakt and Keyscape.

I would have bought the Nord Piano 3 except for the glaring lack of MIDI control options, and that I already have an Electro 5D 73, so actually, I have access to the same Nord Piano and Nord Sample Library as any Piano 3 owner, and I've got the killer organ sim and drawbars to boot!

If Nord would make a rack mount module that had the A1 engine, 10 Gb of Piano Library space and 10 Gb of Sample Library space, I think they would sell hundreds of thousands of them! If Roland would make a master keyboard with the updated Integra 7 engine, space for your own samples, and their plug-out System 8 synth sections in ONE KEYBOARD in the body of an RD-2000, even without the organ section, Nord would have real competition for their Stage 3, and Yamaha and Korg would probably take notice as well.

The RD-2000 is a fantastic instrument, don't get me wrong, I love mine. It is built 10X better than the RD-800, and now that I've received a replacement for the key action issues I was having, I am very happy with the way the instrument plays. I don't need a built in sequencer, we all use computers for that these days. I also don't need the V-Piano engine, it feels like a gimmick that wasn't quite ready for launch. I DO need synth and acoustic samples that would allow me to leave my Mac at home. I don't care to buy the cheaply made System 8 or one of the even more cheaply made Boutique toys. It is a bit funny than Kurzweil with their EXTREMELY DATED PC series soundest, still has orchestral strings than rival nearly anything on the market, and while the strings in the RD-2000 (and RD-800, 700) are greatly for layering behind your other sounds, they don't stand up on their own by any means. I miss the strings from my JP-80, those articulations are hard to beat when playing live.

So yes, get an RD-2000 if you like the RD-800 soundest, but need more MIDI control. Just realize, you are probably going to end up with a $2500.00 MIDI controller because the sound-set found here, is already dated out of the box. For me, it serves my needs, but also leaves me wanting more.

STEINWAY, BOSENDORFER, make amazing PIANOS. We fall in love with the sound and feel they have, though this varies from piano to piano, naturally. Comparing long established brick and mortar piano makers to Roland, who is famous for the industry rocking drum machines and synths of yesteryear, is just downright ridiculous.

Rant over.

Nord Electro 5D, Roland RD-2000, Lots of plugins, MacBook Pro 2016 TouchBar, Focusrite Clarett 8Pre, Grace Design M920, QSC K 12s, Focal CMS 65s.
Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: Macsaint777] #2644660
05/18/17 08:12 AM
05/18/17 08:12 AM
Vught, The Netherlands
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Vught, The Netherlands
Slightly off topic ... Renner makes the actions for Bösendorfer and Steinway. Bösendorfer goes one step further and regulates the sh*t out of those actions.

I was in a Bösendorfer showroom (Vienna) and every piano I played had an exquisite action (and sound). I would have been happy with any of those pianos; there must have 20 or so in that showroom. Unfortunately, I cannot make the same statement about Steinway. You go into a Steinway showroom and out of the ten pianos you play you narrow down the choice to two or three.

Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: brooster] #2644674
05/18/17 08:54 AM
05/18/17 08:54 AM
Dorset, England
S
slipperykeys Offline
500 Post Club Member
slipperykeys  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

Dorset, England
Originally Posted by Rhodie73

In Dave Ferris's defense I had to return my Roland FP90 because of the same noises that Dave Horne mentioned about his RD2000. I also said to myself maybe it's just me, but I went to my local SamAsh and sat down at a new just put on the floor RD2000 and was able to reproduce the same clicky noise when playing fast passages of classical and jazz improvisation. So I can't pull the trigger on the Roland until this little production glitch is nonexistent. However I have had a Yamaha CP4 that I actually kept after owning several and returning or selling a couple, and I must say I do not notice any of the mentioned keybed issues. Just saying. I really wish Yamaha would just update the CP4 with their VRM DSP (Virtual Resonance Modeling) for their acoustic piano sounds and I would be done with going back and forth with stage pianos lol! As for Roland's new PHA-50 action I just don't know. It does feel good though!

Noisy keys and noisy defense of noisy keys.

Silence!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4

That's all right, I'll make all the "noise" I want. You had no knowledge of the "noisy keys" so it is disingenuous of you to pretend your earlier comment is in anyway a refection of that apparent relatively isolated "problem".

BTW, didn't you notice the floor covering at NAMM? It was the most disappointing thing there.....

Last edited by slipperykeys; 05/18/17 08:55 AM.
Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: brooster] #2644680
05/18/17 09:12 AM
05/18/17 09:12 AM
F
FreakyPhingahz Offline
FreakyPhingahz  Offline
F

I have the RD-2000 sitting next to a RD-800, RD-700GX & a Kurz Forte and I'm gravitating to the RD-2000 more & more. The Roland RD-2000 is a great board sound & feel wise- is it an upgraded RD-800 with sliders & better controller functions? Well, yes... but just a few modifications and this would elevate the RD-200 above the frey. The hard working techs at Roland have put together a good solid Stage board with authentic sounds in every category except the organ. It's the only tone that hasn't changed much if any from the RD-700 days. Any word when the Axial site will accommodate sounds (better organs please) for the RD-2000? Thanks

Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: brooster] #2644690
05/18/17 09:30 AM
05/18/17 09:30 AM
Tennessee
B
brooster Offline OP
brooster  Offline OP
B

Tennessee
Way back in the beginning of this thread I bemoaned the fact that there was no Integra-7 supernatural sounds in the RD-2000.
Thank You Macsaint777 for your well played observations.

Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: Dave Horne] #2644721
05/18/17 11:08 AM
05/18/17 11:08 AM
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

Interestingly, as little as a month before the RD-2000 was released, people were essentially clamoring for an RD-800 with a fully modeled piano engine and PHA-50 action. It seems Roland did that, and way more, and kept the price point the same to boot. Now all of a sudden people realize they wanted a lot more.

Originally Posted by Dave Horne
Slightly off topic ... Renner makes the actions for Bösendorfer and Steinway. Bösendorfer goes one step further and regulates the sh*t out of those actions.

I was in a Bösendorfer showroom (Vienna) and every piano I played had an exquisite action (and sound). I would have been happy with any of those pianos; there must have 20 or so in that showroom.

I only have the privilege to play on one Bosendorfer, but I agree with you Dave, I'd take it in a heartbeat if I had the cash/space. My experience on that piano will be the reason I end up getting an AvantGrand or Novus class of DP one of these days....

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50 || Kawai NV-10, MP11
Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: brooster] #2644736
05/18/17 11:54 AM
05/18/17 11:54 AM
Tennessee
B
brooster Offline OP
brooster  Offline OP
B

Tennessee
Macsaint777,

Have you played the Roland FP-90?
Have you played the HP-603, HP-605, LX-7 or the LX17?
If you have played any of the above how do they compare with the RD-2000.

Roland implies that the V-Piano in the RD-2000 is a step above the current HP-LX and FP-90 models.
If you have played both any observations comparing them to the RD-2000 would be interesting.

If anybody else here in Piano World has played both your observations would be appreciated.

Re: Roland RD-2000 [Re: Dave Horne] #2644750
05/18/17 12:21 PM
05/18/17 12:21 PM
Glendale, Ca.
D
Dave Ferris Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Dave Ferris  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
D

Glendale, Ca.
Originally Posted by Dave Horne

I was in a Bösendorfer showroom (Vienna) and every piano I played had an exquisite action (and sound). I would have been happy with any of those pianos; there must have 20 or so in that showroom. Unfortunately, I cannot make the same statement about Steinway. You go into a Steinway showroom and out of the ten pianos you play you narrow down the choice to two or three.

more OT - Hamburg Steinways use the Renner. NY Steinways use Steinway action. Yes both need more regulation (and voicing) then what Steinway does at the factory.

The pot at the end of the rainbow makes it worth for me though. I've never played a Bosendorfer that I've loved and certainly one that I would prefer owning over what I have. The newest VC series gets them closer to what I like to hear though.

Page 35 of 44 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 43 44

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ongoing Pianoteq learning curve.
by Jack Gately. 01/18/19 08:11 AM
Uneven spacing between keys (only used 3 years piano)
by overerainbow. 01/18/19 06:52 AM
Piano fiction
by Animisha. 01/18/19 06:25 AM
Kawai F-301 problem
by bagovarna. 01/18/19 04:46 AM
The moods of my sheet music "wish list"
by Sibylle. 01/18/19 02:25 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,641
Posts2,783,086
Members92,145
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission