Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
60 registered members (Angelos58, David B, cfrederi, Beemer, Agent88, Beowulf, AZNpiano, 12 invisible), 1,291 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What Size iPad for Digital Sheet Music & Other Apps? [Re: Roger Ransom] #2640791
05/06/17 07:11 PM
05/06/17 07:11 PM
M
Macy Offline
500 Post Club Member
Macy  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M

I highly recommend the 12.9 inch iPad Pro. I used the original size in landscape mode and that works, but you have to turn pages twice as often to have the same size notation. I love the 12.9" full size pages. Just think about how often you play and mentally amortize the price difference over a couple of years. It's foolish not to buy the larger one unless the price is a major concern for you.

I also highly recommend forScore. What a great app. Just about perfect and easy to duplicate and arrange score pages so that you can play linearly always paging forward using only a single pedal and never having to page back to repeat sections.

Finally, don't even think about turning the pages manually. Buy a bluetooth foot pedal like the PageFlip or AirTurn pedals. I've used a PageFlip Cicada for years and its a dream to use, has been reliable and the battery lasts a long, long time for convenience.

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: What Size iPad for Digital Sheet Music & Other Apps? [Re: Rosewood17] #2640794
05/06/17 07:17 PM
05/06/17 07:17 PM
United States
Rosewood17 Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
Rosewood17  Offline OP
Silver Subscriber

United States
Actually, my piano already has the capability of turning pages using one of the pedals (obviously I haven't tried it yet, but the manual says it does), so I am all set there (I think!). Good to hear another vote for the 12.9" iPad. smile

Roland LX-7
Started lessons in April, 2017
In progress: Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course: Lesson-Theory-Technic: Level 2 | Fundamentals of Piano Theory - Level 2 | Hanon: The Virtuoso Pianist in 60 Exercises
Re: What Size iPad for Digital Sheet Music & Other Apps? [Re: Roger Ransom] #2640939
05/07/17 09:52 AM
05/07/17 09:52 AM
F
Falsch Offline
Falsch  Offline
F

Originally Posted by Roger Ransom
It actually sort of turned into a nightmare to me for a while.

After I had about 800 scores scanned in I was loading another one when suddenly the screen returned to the introduction and ALL of my scores disappeared completely. All of them.

Losing the files on the iPad shouldn't be a nightmare.

I understand it can be costly and inconvenient when your iPad blows up, but that shouldn't be a problem with regard to the scores. You'll just grab them from your backup for your next device.

You do have a backup... don't you? If you don't, go and create several as soon as you can.

I've been telling this to people for 20 years: If you don't have a computer file in -at least- two places, -it doesn't exist-.

(I know. I've been there in 1995, when my hard drive suddenly said 'sskkrrrggggttjsstk' in my 486DX/2, and I lost a lot of stuff back then. Ran around for weeks copying stuff back from friends and schoolmates.)

I've got almost a 1000 e-books completely fixed and tagged, over 850 CD's ripped to the computer, and several classical music boxes, also fully tagged and categorized. I've got three copies of everything, and one off-site.

I *couldn't* even recreate everything if I lost it, because in the past, I've sold/given away CD's I've ripped, and some of the stores where I bought e-books have been out of business for years. Even if I *could* recreate everything from scratch, I'd really want to avoid it; it took me a decade to get everything done.

Last edited by Falsch; 05/07/17 09:57 AM.

Roland LX-17 PE == At GF's condo: Kawai MP7 == Currently in storage: Focal Alpha 80, Pianoteq with Kremsegg I, II and Ruckers II addons.
Re: What Size iPad for Digital Sheet Music & Other Apps? [Re: Rosewood17] #2640978
05/07/17 11:52 AM
05/07/17 11:52 AM
SouthWest Michigan
R
Roger Ransom Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Roger Ransom  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

SouthWest Michigan
Yes, all my scores were backed up. I had originally scanned them into PDF's on my Windows computer, then they are all backed up there continuously with Carbonite and then a standalone DVD. I could have restored them all into Forscore but the problem is that I had done a lot of annotating, classifying, setlists and Metadata customizing that took hours.

I also had everything backed up in Icloud which did contain all of that.

Forscore has an automatic backup of all that stuff - minus the PDFs but they were also gone. I had to go to a previous backup in Icloud because the most current one had the empty Forscore.

Anyway it wasn't a catastrophe, I was a little dramatic there but it was pretty scary anyway. I'm a new Ipad user and was not as confident as I am about other devices.

I learned about backup the hard way many years ago and have been pretty diligent about it ever since.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
(ad) SWEETWATER
Sweetwater - Lowest Prices on Gear
Re: What Size iPad for Digital Sheet Music & Other Apps? [Re: Rosewood17] #2642073
05/10/17 11:13 AM
05/10/17 11:13 AM
D
dgarcia Offline
dgarcia  Offline
D

Let's just drop this in here:
Digital Passive Score Player/Reader

The idea I find it superb for digital scoring, but the price is prohibitive!

Last edited by dgarcia; 05/10/17 11:14 AM.
Re: What Size iPad for Digital Sheet Music & Other Apps? [Re: Rosewood17] #2642092
05/10/17 12:24 PM
05/10/17 12:24 PM
P
Pete14 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Pete14  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P

This is good, but why so expensive?

I hope they lower the price ($1,600) by the time it's released.

Re: What Size iPad for Digital Sheet Music & Other Apps? [Re: Rosewood17] #2642107
05/10/17 01:31 PM
05/10/17 01:31 PM
United States
Rosewood17 Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
Rosewood17  Offline OP
Silver Subscriber

United States
Update: My used 3rd gen 32 GB iPad (9.7") is working great and I have downloaded/bought a number of music apps, most of which have been recommended on this forum (I haven't used any of them extensively so far except Piano Partner 2!):

forScore
TurboScan
Music Tutor
Piano Partner 2
SheetMusicDirect
PlayAlong
Rhythms
Key Signatures
Notes
Chords
Intervals
Music Theory
Aural Wiz
piaScore
flowkey
Piano 3D
iReal Pro
PianoMaestro
Note Trainer
ReadRhythm

For a little over $100 (I risked a Buy it Now on eBay and lucked out with one in mint condition) I have something to use that works well while I wait for the iPad Pro 2 12.9" to be released. (You may recall that I would have bought the current 12.9" iPad Pro, but the store was out of them and the Apple website was out of them also, with an estimated wait time of 2-3 weeks.)

I now know that the iPad is indeed extremely useful to use with a digital piano, and also that the larger one (whenever I get it) will be even better. Although I'm really glad I did not spend a lot of money on a brand new 9.7" at this time, I am enjoying this one a lot and I appreciate the suggestion to go this route.

This forum has so much helpful information! smile

Last edited by Rosewood17; 05/10/17 01:42 PM.

Roland LX-7
In progress: Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course: Lesson-Theory-Technic: Level 2 | Fundamentals of Piano Theory - Level 2 | Hanon: The Virtuoso Pianist in 60 Exercises
Re: What Size iPad for Digital Sheet Music & Other Apps? [Re: Rosewood17] #2642306
05/11/17 04:33 AM
05/11/17 04:33 AM
UK, Bucks
P
Peakski Offline
Peakski  Offline
P

UK, Bucks
Glad it worked out for you Rosewood. I see you have SheetMusicDirect, I'd be interested in how you get on with it as I have a free trial subscription that came with my Roland piano. I'm saving it until I get a little better at playing!

Roland GP-607
Re: What Size iPad for Digital Sheet Music & Other Apps? [Re: Rosewood17] #2642589
05/12/17 08:58 AM
05/12/17 08:58 AM
Chicago
N
newbies Offline
newbies  Offline
N

Chicago
I got a really good deal on a used 12.9" iPad Pro and having upgraded from the 9.7" Air 2 I can say it was worth every penny. When I had the 9.7" I thought it was fine, but after upgrading I realized how much less strain the bigger screen had on my eyes.

Here's a picture for comparison:
[Linked Image]

Re: What Size iPad for Digital Sheet Music & Other Apps? [Re: Peakski] #2642591
05/12/17 08:59 AM
05/12/17 08:59 AM
United States
Rosewood17 Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
Rosewood17  Offline OP
Silver Subscriber

United States
Originally Posted by Peakski
Glad it worked out for you Rosewood. I see you have SheetMusicDirect, I'd be interested in how you get on with it as I have a free trial subscription that came with my Roland piano. I'm saving it until I get a little better at playing!

I think I went overboard downloading apps, LOL! I haven't tried SheetMusicDirect yet. I just yesterday exchanged my piano for one that also comes with a free 3-month-subscription to SheetMusicDirect so I need to check with the dealer about how to activate that. From what I have read online, there is a deadline for activating it, so you might want to check on that.

Roland LX-7
Re: What Size iPad for Digital Sheet Music & Other Apps? [Re: newbies] #2642596
05/12/17 09:05 AM
05/12/17 09:05 AM
United States
Rosewood17 Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
Rosewood17  Offline OP
Silver Subscriber

United States
Originally Posted by newbies
I got a really good deal on a used 12.9" iPad Pro and having upgraded from the 9.7" Air 2 I can say it was worth every penny. When I had the 9.7" I thought it was fine, but after upgrading I realized how much less strain the bigger screen had on my eyes.

Here's a picture for comparison:
[Linked Image]

That is a GREAT comparison photo--thanks for posting it. I didn't even check on used 12.9" iPads; I probably should have done that!

Roland LX-7
Re: What Size iPad for Digital Sheet Music & Other Apps? [Re: Roger Ransom] #2643366
05/14/17 03:01 PM
05/14/17 03:01 PM
O
o0Ampy0o Offline
500 Post Club Member
o0Ampy0o  Offline
500 Post Club Member
O

Originally Posted by Roger Ransom
Will there be anything about the new one that even matters for your purposes?

Rumors suggest the new models will have reduced bezels. One other rumor is for a model in between the 12.7 and 9.7 with a smaller bezel making it about equal to the current 12.7 except with updated specs and a smaller footprint. Along with the new models you can expect, although it may not actually materialize, discount deals on the older models. In 2017 there has already been a new 9.7 released in a non-Pro model.

There is also the Apple Refurbished route. They all come with the same AppleCare and are eligible for the extended AppleCare like a brand new product. I have purchased several refurbished products from Apple and have not had a problem FWIW YMMV etc.

I purchased a new 12.7 Pro for art. A delay in the decision concerned the expense and not having any other use for an iPad. Once I had it I discovered ways to use it outside the art context. It turned out to be more useful than I imagined and I ended up purchasing a 9.7 Pro as well, the 2nd mostly because the 12.7 was just too large to carry around but also because I use an app that you can create a panel of buttons that correspond to key commands. It means I can push a button with my free left hand which might have required multi-step keyboard shortcuts or the use of a mouse or tablet pen (both relatively distracting and workflow disruptive). I prefer the response of the 12.7 though. It may have a slightly slower processor but it feels a little more elegant when using the touch screen. Plus you have one less layer of keyboard truncation. BTW typing with the software keyboard is amazingly effective given what it is.

Last edited by o0Ampy0o; 05/14/17 03:18 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Brodmann PE 121 vs. Kawai K300
by Timpskie. 11/15/18 12:20 AM
Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room
by AB Forum Recital. 11/14/18 10:44 PM
Recital 52 --- November 15, 2018
by AB Forum Recital. 11/14/18 09:06 PM
DIGITAL PIANO "SECONDS WAITED"
by ericco. 11/14/18 06:15 PM
Diminished scales and chords
by Tango. 11/14/18 03:02 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,337
Posts2,761,217
Members91,490
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission