Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
Who's Online Now
56 registered members (Agent88, Axel Ramge, Bill McKaig,RPT, barbaram, ando, 8 invisible), 1,675 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2642686 - 05/12/17 12:37 PM Problems with New Forums? Report It Here!  
Piano World Offline
Piano World  Offline

Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
As I expected with such a major upgrade we are experiencing some issues with the new version of the forums.

We will work on getting them all fixed, but first we have to know about them.

PLEASE READ FIRST, THEN USE THIS THREAD TO REPORT PROBLEMS
We Need Details! If you are reporting a problem, please include which browser you are using (and version if possible), along with the operating system of your computer (ex: Browser: Firefox 53.0.2 (32-bit), or Chrome, Windows 10, or Mac OS 10.?,) or if you are accessing via a mobile device, what the device is and what operating system (Android, PC, Mac, etc.). The more details we have the better because some issues may be specific to the device and system you are accessing the forum with.

PROCEDURE:
1.) Check to see if someone has already reported the same problem. If it has been reported, but you are using a different browser and/or operating system feel free to add your report, including those details.

2.)Details are important (see We Need Details! above). It helps us to know exactly what you were doing and what you were using to access the forums.
3.) Screen shots. If you are reporting that something doesn't look right, a screen shot/capture would be helpful if possible.
4.) If you just want to make a comment about a new feature, or the changes made to an old feature please use a separate thread.

I have posted the reports I've already received.

- Frank B.
Founder / Owner / Host
www.PianoWorld.com
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
ProRecord.info
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
www.linkedin.com/in/pianoworld
My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190 w/ ProRecord, Yamaha P-80, Estey 1895 Pump Organ, Harpsichord (kit), Clavichord (kit), Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
Invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2642690 - 05/12/17 12:44 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
Piano World Offline
Piano World  Offline

Reported Issues:

• HI, since you implemented your new forum format, I see you have deleted the 'INDEX" button, and now have a "HOP TO" button. This HOP TO button does not work. It doesn't work on my Android phone or my Windows computer. The :INDEX button was much easier to use. Can it be brought back? Thanks. DonZon.
  • "mark all posts as read" doesn't seem to be working
  • I am unable to register with your piano forum. After inserting my age verification and pressing continue nothing whatsoever appears on the next page. Thank you.
  • the horizontal lines / shading between the forums (that separated them in the list) have disappeared as have the horizontal lines
  • I did notice that we used to have a "back to forum index" link at the bottom of each page when you're inside a thread, this seems to have disappeared. It was useful

#2642696 - 05/12/17 12:51 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
Piano World Offline
Piano World  Offline

New forum not displaying correctly on mobile phone(s)...
I’m on an iPhone 6S, but is on all phones, also Samsung phones. The site zooms in when you open it on a phone, but you still have to scroll to the left and right to see the text.

You can see it in the attachment.

[Linked Image]

#2642972 - 05/13/17 08:40 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
Beemer Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Beemer  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Scotland
On my LG G4 android phone and using Google browser I tried selecting "desktop site" which works but when deselecting desktop mode, Pianoworld forums still have to use scroll bars to read text. However if two finger zoom is used to bring all visible there is then no requirement to use scrolling. This works with portrait and landscape mode.

Ian

Last edited by Beemer; 05/13/17 08:41 AM.

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2643038 - 05/13/17 01:04 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
luckiest_charm Offline
luckiest_charm  Offline

. I just noticed that not only I'm unable to send anyone a private message, I can't open anyone's profile either. Every single username on the forums has a javascript:void(0); redirect to it, which as it says, redirects to a blank page upon clicking, instead of the corresponding profile page.

#2643069 - 05/13/17 02:39 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: luckiest_charm]  
Piano World Offline
Piano World  Offline

Originally Posted by luckiest_charm
. I just noticed that not only I'm unable to send anyone a private message, I can't open anyone's profile either. Every single username on the forums has a javascript:void(0); redirect to it, which as it says, redirects to a blank page upon clicking, instead of the corresponding profile page.

Odd, because when I click a user name I get a drop down menu with Send Private Message being one of the choices.
What browser and O/S are you using luckiest charm?

- Frank B.
Founder / Owner / Host
www.PianoWorld.com
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
ProRecord.info
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190 w/ ProRecord, Yamaha P-80, Estey 1895 Pump Organ, Harpsichord (kit), Clavichord (kit), Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880

#2643074 - 05/13/17 02:51 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
dogperson Offline
2000 Post Club Member
dogperson  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
Originally Posted by Piano World
Originally Posted by luckiest_charm

Odd, because when I click a user name I get a drop down menu with Send Private Message being one of the choices.

On my iPhone, I am able to send a private message but I do not see the complete user profile for any user

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho
#2643077 - 05/13/17 03:11 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
luckiest_charm Offline
luckiest_charm  Offline

It seems to have gotten fixed automatically. The drop down menu shows up as it should, however the address bar which shows up while hovering on a link in Chrome still shows the same javascript:void(0). Not that it bothers me, just thought it might be of some use.

Here's a screenshot - https://s13.postimg.org/tek1bzj8n/Snap_Crab_No_Name_2017-5-14_1-38-18_No-00.png
Notice the error right above the start button, while the mouse is hovering over dogperson's username. Clicking on it would now work as intended though.

I'm on Chrome, Windows 10 professional.. 64 bit.
However, the issue was there prior to the forum upgrade as well, both on my PC and on my OnePlus 3. So I don't think this upgrade has anything to do with it. Looks like others are having variations of it as well.

#2643087 - 05/13/17 03:31 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
prout Offline
3000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Southwestern Ontario
Can't find three image links in photo gallery to copy to another forum. I can copy the URL but then I only get the link preceded and followed by [/img]...[img] which is active.

iPad 10.3.1

#2643240 - 05/14/17 08:24 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
500 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Orange County, California
New forum not displaying correctly on mobile phone(s)...
I’m on an iPhone 6S, but is on all phones, also Samsung phones. The site zooms in when you open it on a phone, but you still have to scroll to the left and right to see the text.

You can see it in the attachment.

[Linked Image]

I noticed this on my mobile phone as well, LG V10. Is it because of the banner at the top saying "Welcome to the Piano World ...", causing us to have to scroll right or left?

Currently Working On
RCM 4 Pieces
Nuvole Bianche - Einaudi
Sound of Silence - Viktoriya Yermolyeva arrangement
Random stuff
---------------------------
SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
#2643299 - 05/14/17 11:22 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
prout Offline
3000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Southwestern Ontario
The Top link is often, but not always, missing from the threads.

iPad 10.3.1

#2643318 - 05/14/17 12:29 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
wouter79 Offline
4000 Post Club Member
wouter79  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

It's great that https is finally working!

But there is a small issue

Not sure if this was reported already but there seems something wrong with the security

If I go to

https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics

I get

Safari can't verify the identity of the website "forum.pianoworld.com"

Digging a bit deeper gives
"The certificate is not valid (host name mismatch)

With Tor I get

Your connection is not secure

The owner of forum.pianoworld.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Tor Browser has not connected to this website.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
#2643319 - 05/14/17 12:31 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
wouter79 Offline
4000 Post Club Member
wouter79  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Antoher issue with https:

If I go to https://recitals.pianoworld.com/

I get a completely different site than

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/

#2643320 - 05/14/17 12:33 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
wouter79 Offline
4000 Post Club Member
wouter79  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

And another issue

When I try to log in with Tor browser I get

Your IP address is currently listed in the Stop Forum Spam database as a known spammer/spambot, and as such your account cannot be registered. To proceed you'll need to request a removal to clear yourself from their database.

Can this be fixed?

#2643347 - 05/14/17 02:02 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
Stubbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Stubbie  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
Column width using 'Default' or 'coffee' is narrower than with all the other options (at least on my laptop). This may be so by design, but I prefer the slightly wider column present on the other options, but I like the coffee color option the best. Can the column width be increased on the coffee option?

[Linked Image]
#2643356 - 05/14/17 02:29 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: wouter79]  
Piano World Offline
Piano World  Offline

Originally Posted by wouter79

Hi Wouter,
We aren't ready to set up the forums or recital pages for https: yet, I first have to go back in and set EVERY image to point to https, a task that will take some time.
The primary Piano World site (not the forums or recitals) should work ok as I tried to assign everything with the new version to be secure.

I am curious about the spam message though, we are not on any spam lists that I know of.
Or are you saying our site claims your IP is on our list? That's possible if it's looking at a general IP (used to happen to people with AOL). Can you get me the exact IP?

Thanks,
Best,
Frank B. / Piano World

Last edited by Piano World; 05/14/17 03:19 PM. Reason: Updated

- Frank B.
Founder / Owner / Host
www.PianoWorld.com
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
ProRecord.info
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
My Keyboards:

#2643357 - 05/14/17 02:30 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Stubbie]  
Piano World Offline
Piano World  Offline

Originally Posted by Stubbie
Column width using 'Default' or 'coffee' is narrower than with all the other options (at least on my laptop). This may be so by design, but I prefer the slightly wider column present on the other options, but I like the coffee color option the best. Can the column width be increased on the coffee option?

Hi Stubbie,
Exactly which columns? Can you grab a screen shot for me?

Best,
Frank B.
Piano World

- Frank B.
Founder / Owner / Host
www.PianoWorld.com
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
ProRecord.info
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
My Keyboards:

#2643369 - 05/14/17 03:05 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
prout Offline
3000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Southwestern Ontario
Top link appears if logged on. Does not appear if not logged on.

#2643400 - 05/14/17 04:51 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
Almaviva Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Almaviva  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Richmond, Virginia
I am using an HP PC with Windows 10. I also use an HP PC with Windows XP at work. I am experiencing the same problem on both computers.

I refer you to the recent Piano Forum thread "Rebuilt Blüthner Patent grand (not mine)", created by Joe80. A number of bloggers have replied to this thread with video clips that they have posted. Not all of the video clips work now. One clicks on the video clip, and one gets the message "An error occurred. Please try again later".

SOME of the video clips are working after the update, but they were ALL working fine before the update.

#2643431 - 05/14/17 07:03 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
BDB  Offline

Oakland
I am not able to change my time zone in the Preferences. I am using Safari in MacOS 10.12.4. If I try to set it, it does not stick.

Semipro Tech
#2644263 - 05/17/17 04:06 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
dogperson Offline
2000 Post Club Member
dogperson  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
Using Google Chrome and Windows 10, the 'Forum Help' does not display the answers

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
#2644318 - 05/17/17 08:53 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Almaviva]  
Piano World Offline
Piano World  Offline

Originally Posted by Almaviva
I am using an HP PC with Windows 10. I also use an HP PC with Windows XP at work. I am experiencing the same problem on both computers.

I refer you to the recent Piano Forum thread "Rebuilt Blüthner Patent grand (not mine)", created by Joe80. A number of bloggers have replied to this thread with video clips that they have posted. Not all of the video clips work now. One clicks on the video clip, and one gets the message "An error occurred. Please try again later".

SOME of the video clips are working after the update, but they were ALL working fine before the update.

Almaviva,
I'm not seeing any problems with the videos, can you point me to specific ones that aren't working for you?

Best,
Frank B.

- Frank B.
Founder / Owner / Host
www.PianoWorld.com
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
ProRecord.info
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
My Keyboards:

#2644320 - 05/17/17 08:58 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: dogperson]  
Piano World Offline
Piano World  Offline

Originally Posted by dogperson
Using Google Chrome and Windows 10, the 'Forum Help' does not display the answers

dogperson,
What happens when you click the Forum Help link?
Do you get the list of questions, but can't get them to expand with the answers, or do you not get the list to begin with?

BTW, I tried it with Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Chrome, using Windows 10.
It worked on all of them for me.

Best,
Frank B.

- Frank B.
Founder / Owner / Host
www.PianoWorld.com
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
ProRecord.info
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
My Keyboards:

#2644450 - 05/17/17 03:34 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
dogperson Offline
2000 Post Club Member
dogperson  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
Originally Posted by dogperson

dogperson,
What happens when you click the Forum Help link?
Do you get the list of questions, but can't get them to expand with the answers, or do you not get the list to begin with?

BTW, I tried it with Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Chrome, using Windows 10.
It worked on all of them for me.

Best,
Frank B.

I get the list of questions, but cannot get them to expand to display the answers. FWIW: I have a touch screen

#2644451 - 05/17/17 03:36 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Almaviva]  
David-G Offline
1000 Post Club Member
David-G  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

London

I get the same problem. The video clip of Benjamin Grosvenor works. The others don't. Same error message as Almaviva got.

I am using Windows 8.1 with Chrome.

#2644487 - 05/17/17 05:08 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
Almaviva Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Almaviva  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Richmond, Virginia
Frank, the post numbers are 2641366 and 2641375, both of which were posted by "Miguel Rey" on May 8, 2017. The video clips included in these posts worked fine before the update; now they don't.

Last edited by Almaviva; 05/17/17 09:15 PM.
#2644944 - 05/18/17 10:19 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: prout]  
wolfgangmeister Offline
wolfgangmeister  Offline

CT
Define:
Agree with prout. Just uploaded two pictures to the Photo Gallery, but when using Safari on my Mac AND Internet Explorer or MS Edge on Windows 10, I no longer see the links to the three image options for thumbnail, medium, large. I can copy the link to the gallery html site, but I can no longer determine what the links are to each of the two uploaded .jpg images in the gallery. Never had this problem before...

Investigate:
From Image Manager, I can see a very tiny 8519 and 8520 next to the uploaded figures, but I'd be darned if I remember the standard syntax associated with accessing these links as thumbnails, medium or large.

Verify:
Ahhh... I found an old text "cheat file" with the syntax on my computer. When I use this syntax, with the image numbers displayed in the new Image Manager, I get the two photos to appear in my PW post!
Here is the syntax:
[Linked Image]

Ensure:
Two New Mason & Hamlin Semi-Concert Grand 7'0" Model BBs #93999 and #94000 undergoing final quality inspection at the Haverhill, MA Piano Factory on Tuesday, May 16, 2017.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Jason Solomonides
Mason & Hamlin 7' BB 93623
Yamaha 6'1" C3 (w/WNG) D3010008
My Piano Recordings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7aJcfJZZvg&list=PLkP65I5BsNirTcv-nAHm4BXXsCbB_EbAJ
Mason & Hamlin Artist
#2645148 - 05/19/17 11:59 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
JKG71 Offline
JKG71  Offline

CA
I can't seem to stop the emails. I receive emails for every post. I checked to receive emails for PM that is when it started. It has been several days since I have checked no in all boxes related to email and still receiving endless emails.

#2645152 - 05/19/17 12:10 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
Piano World Offline
Piano World  Offline

Sounds like you checked "follow" in a thread if they are coming from a specific thread.
Look for Thread Options near the top of the thread, click it and choose "unfollow"

- Frank B.
Founder / Owner / Host
www.PianoWorld.com
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
ProRecord.info
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
My Keyboards:

#2645159 - 05/19/17 12:47 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
JKG71 Offline
JKG71  Offline

CA
Sorry, but that's not it some of them are asking to follow so I thought maybe It was the user but not that either. I think I am receiving every post.

#2645165 - 05/19/17 12:59 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City
Please see these threads for my problems and some replies:
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...roblem-with-the-pw-site.html#Post2644822
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...his-problem-with-the-pw-site.html#UNREAD

These included the forum freezing for around 20 seconds when using Firefox and Windows 7 when I go back to a forum after opening a thread on that forum. This is not a problem in Internet Explorer.

There is a problem when using Internet Explorer. The only way to stay logged in is to NOT select the "keep me logged in" choice. If you do select that choice you immediately lose the logged in status upon returning to the forum.

I didn't see this thread to report problems at first(and that's why I started my own thread) because I use the color scheme with a black background and white print. When using that color scheme the "permanent" threads at the top each forum just appear in white and the text can't be read.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 05/19/17 05:38 PM.
#2645300 - 05/19/17 10:25 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
JKG71 Offline
JKG71  Offline

CA
Edited in my stuff followed list all seems to be well now.
Thank you for a wonderful forum.

#2645312 - 05/20/17 12:20 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
outo Offline
3000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Finland
The old forum was not working very well with my windows phone, so I expected a lot from the upgrade. Unfortunately it's now even worse. The scaling is off and posting is a nightmare because the pages keep jumping and flashing irregularly and the pointer refuses to go where I want it to go in the writing field.

#2645393 - 05/20/17 08:57 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: outo]  
Piano World Offline
Piano World  Offline

Originally Posted by outo
The old forum was not working very well with my windows phone, so I expected a lot from the upgrade. Unfortunately it's now even worse. The scaling is off and posting is a nightmare because the pages keep jumping and flashing irregularly and the pointer refuses to go where I want it to go in the writing field.

Hi outo,
It would help when reporting to include as many details as possible.
In this case, which OS (Android, iOS, etc.) and which version.

Some users are reporting marked improvement since the update, others are reporting issues.
I am reporting any issues to the developers of the software we license, but they need details.

Best,
Frank B. / Piano World

- Frank B.
Founder / Owner / Host
www.PianoWorld.com
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
ProRecord.info
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
My Keyboards:

#2645455 - 05/20/17 01:46 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
KawaiDon Offline
1000 Post Club Member
KawaiDon  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
Frank,
I am having problems with the forum keeping me logged in. I have cookies enabled.
If I log in and select "keep me logged in" then as soon as I go to a forum I am no longer logged in.
If I log in and do not select 'keep me logged in" then it keeps me logged in for this session, but does not remember me the next time I visit.

I'm wondering if this is related to my logging in on different computers and from different locations? I regularly use 3 different computers (home, laptop, office). Does your system remember users by IP address, and block remembering them if we change? Because I travel for a living, you know . . .

All of my computers use Windows 10 ver .1703 with the most recent Edge browser.

Don

Don Mannino, MPA
Kawai America
#2645487 - 05/20/17 05:35 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
outo Offline
3000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Finland
Originally Posted by outo

Hi outo,
It would help when reporting to include as many details as possible.
In this case, which OS (Android, iOS, etc.) and which version.

Some users are reporting marked improvement since the update, others are reporting issues.
I am reporting any issues to the developers of the software we license, but they need details.

Best,
Frank B. / Piano World

Well, it's windows 8.1. I know I should get a better phone but I hate Android even more...

#2645492 - 05/20/17 05:58 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
Piano World Offline
Piano World  Offline

The issue with the videos is with the ones that include the extra information about who's list it came from.

If the link is just a basic YouTube link like this one (the code looks like this: https://youtu.be/IL_IeQb65XU )

it should work fine (and yes that's me, at NAMM in 2010.

It's only when additional parameters are added that it has a problem.

- Frank B.
Founder / Owner / Host
www.PianoWorld.com
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
ProRecord.info
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
My Keyboards:

#2646397 - 05/23/17 01:01 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
BruceD Offline
BruceD  Offline

Victoria, BC
I have been posting images on Piano World for a number of years following Frank's instructions in this thread

Posting images on PW

Why, now, am I not getting links to an image I am trying to post in the Photo Gallery? When I have selected an image in the "Image Manager" (and the indication is that I have done so, showing the number of images selected and the size of the image(s)). When I then click on "Done" (to indicate I have completed adding all the photos I want to add), the Photo Manager window disappears. There is no "Submit" button, which is next supposed to appear. With the "Submit" button, I should see a copy of the image with three links below it, small, medium and large among which I can choose to add an image directly into a post.

The image does appear in the Photo Gallery, but the expected three links are not there. If I open the image, I can get the link but it has an html. extension, and I can't post the image. I can insert the link in my post but I can't insert the image in my post, even though I am using the "Image Tag" button in the "Full Editor" screen.

Why is this happening? If I hadn't been posting images regularly, I might ask: "What am I doing wrong?" I'll ask anyway: "What am I doing wrong?"

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
#2646403 - 05/23/17 01:18 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
Piano World Offline
Piano World  Offline

Hi Bruce,
You aren't doing anything wrong, the developers appear to have changed things, not necessarily for the best.

For now you can right click on the image and choose "Copy image location" , then click the image tag icon in your post menu , right click in the URL box and choose paste.

I've been letting the developers know that some of their changes seem like a step backwards, making things more difficult rather than less.

BTW, I used the above procedure to pull this image in.

[Linked Image]

- Frank B.
Founder / Owner / Host
www.PianoWorld.com
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
ProRecord.info
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
My Keyboards:

#2646417 - 05/23/17 01:48 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
BruceD Offline
BruceD  Offline

Victoria, BC
Frank:

Many, many thanks for your very prompt reply to my query. You suggested solution works!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
#2646854 - 05/24/17 11:00 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
BDB Offline
BDB  Offline

Oakland
One thing I am missing is the button to go to the index of the area that you have posted to. I realize that you can go up to the top of the page, and click on it (here it would be Piano Forum in this:
Piano World Home Page > Forums > Piano Forum > Problems with New Forums? Report It Here!), but the button at the bottom was easier to get to and to understand.

Semipro Tech
#2647427 - 05/26/17 07:23 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City
In addition to the problems I mentioned on May 17, when using Internet Explorer with Windows 7 I cannot post a comment by just using the "post reply" button. he page just freezes and I have to refresh the page to complete the posting.

#2648487 - 05/30/17 06:58 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City
"These included the forum freezing for around 20 seconds when using Firefox and Windows 7 when I go back to a forum after opening a thread on that forum."

The above problem seems to have been fixed. THANK YOU!

#2649143 - 06/01/17 08:55 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
prout Offline
3000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Southwestern Ontario
It certainly has not been fixed.

It still occurs about 90% of the time on my iPad and my Windows 10 platforms. Very frustrating. It used to be caused by Java scripts. The problem disappeared when I disabled Java scripts. I'll try that and report back.

#2649148 - 06/01/17 09:03 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
prout Offline
3000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Southwestern Ontario
Disabling Java scripts fixes the problem. This is a very poor coding sequence.

Obviously you can't post anything if Java scripts are disabled. Very frustrating.

#2649569 - 06/02/17 11:58 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City
From an earlier post I made:
"These included the forum freezing for around 20 seconds when using Firefox and Windows 7 when I go back to a forum after opening a thread on that forum."

Now I'm using my other computer with Windows 10 and Firefox and the above problem is still there. I'd guess a huge percentage of PW members use the same browser and version of Windows.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 06/02/17 12:00 PM.
#2649575 - 06/02/17 12:19 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
BruceD Offline
BruceD  Offline

Victoria, BC
The only problem I am having (using Google and Windows 10) is occasional lengthy delays in logging in. Whether it's the first screen (You are not logged in. Please log in) or the second screen where I am asked to log in with my user name and password.

This also happens on occasion when I want to move from one Forum to another or even one thread to another.

Occasionally, losing patience, I opt to quit the log-in screen, or wherever I am on the site, go back to my browser and start the process over again which (usually) gets me into the site almost instantaneously. But it's a little frustrating when I am already on the PW website, to have to restart the process when I can't make my next move.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
#2649587 - 06/02/17 12:54 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
casinitaly  Offline

Italy
I am finding the system terribly slow when accessing PMs. It takes forever to load the page and open the PMs.

[Linked Image]
#2649592 - 06/02/17 01:12 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
Piano World Offline
Piano World  Offline

Hard for me to pin down the issues because I'm not experiencing them on my Windows 10 system using Firefox.

I would suggest everyone make sure they have the latest iteration of your browser, which you should do anyway for security reasons.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and maintain a list of the issues to share with the developers.

- Frank B.

- Frank B.
Founder / Owner / Host
www.PianoWorld.com
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
ProRecord.info
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
My Keyboards:

#2649600 - 06/02/17 01:35 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
Almaviva Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Almaviva  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Richmond, Virginia

Almaviva,
I'm not seeing any problems with the videos, can you point me to specific ones that aren't working for you?

Best,
Frank B.

Frank, the post numbers are 2641366 and 2641375, both of which were posted by "Miguel Rey" on May 8, 2017. The video clips included in these posts worked fine before the update; now they don't.

#2649606 - 06/02/17 01:49 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Almaviva]  
Piano World Offline
Piano World  Offline

Almaviva,

Best,
Frank B.

The issue is with videos that have extra code in their links. Some of them have additional parameters indicating what YouTube channel the video is on, and/or other data. Turns out allowing the extra code could present a security risk.
The new version of the forums won't display the videos if they have the extra code, they need to be just the basic YouTube link.

- Frank B.
Founder / Owner / Host
www.PianoWorld.com
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
ProRecord.info
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
My Keyboards:

#2649615 - 06/02/17 02:17 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
prout Offline
3000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Southwestern Ontario
Slow loading of pages is common on both my iPad and my windows 10 computers running windows explorer 11xxx. This is fixed by disabling Java scripts.

It is not consistent, howevever, even with Java scripts enabled. Roughly 10% of the time the pages load nearly instantaneously.

iOS 10.3.2

windows 10 latest updates daily automated

Last edited by prout; 06/02/17 02:38 PM.
#2649627 - 06/02/17 02:35 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: prout]  
Piano World Offline
Piano World  Offline

Originally Posted by prout
Slow loading of pages is common on both my iPad and my windows 10 computers running windows explorer 11xxx. This is fixed by disabling Java scripts.

It is not consistent, however, even with Java scripts enabled. Roughly 10% of the time the pages load nearly instantaneously.

I've asked the IT guy from the place where we host Piano World to take a look, he's very good and he may discover a glitch somewhere, or a way to tweak some settings.
In the meantime, please keep posting in this thread if you are experiencing any problems. Remember it helps to provide the details, including which browser and what version, as well as which Operating System you are using.

Thanks,
Frank B.
Piano World

- Frank B.
Founder / Owner / Host
www.PianoWorld.com
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
ProRecord.info
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
My Keyboards:

#2649634 - 06/02/17 02:45 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
prout Offline
3000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Southwestern Ontario
It is interesting that this same Java Script issue causing slow loading pages cropped up in February 2016 when the 'Language' select button was added. It was apparently fixed.

#2649686 - 06/02/17 04:27 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
casinitaly Offline

casinitaly  Offline

Italy
Hard for me to pin down the issues because I'm not experiencing them on my Windows 10 system using Firefox.

- Frank B.

I'm using Windows 10 and Firefox too! Weird..... and we just upgraded recently to fibre optic internet services.

[Linked Image]
#2649697 - 06/02/17 04:55 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: casinitaly]  
ElaineAllegro Offline
ElaineAllegro  Offline

Midwest US
I'm using Windows 8 and Firefox browser on a 2 year old desktop PC. There are two major problems:

1. The width of the forum is much narrower than before, so there's a lot more scrolling. In "Forums," I used to be able to see everything down to Piano Teacher's Forum all at once; now I can see only Piano Forum (the top-listed forum); then I have to scroll to see ABF, PC, PTF, etc. I'm in the Coffee layout, as before.

2. After I go into a forum, click on a topic and read, I can't get back to the topic list, or even scroll down the page. My computer seems to hang up for a minute or more. It's like the days of dial-in modems! I never had any wait moving between topics in the old version of PW. (I see this was also reported by pianoloverus above.)

As per casinitaly, we also have fiber optic Internet services.

I don't experience either of these problems on my Samsung Android smartphone, but that's not my preferred way to access PW.

Thank you to Frank for the upgrades and the trouble-shooting effort.

#2650221 - 06/04/17 02:00 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
MacMacMac Offline
5000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

North Carolina
This all makes me wonder why the site software had to be changed at all?
I see very little that's good and a whole lot that's bad.

I know Frank is not responsible for the BB software, so it's not his fault.
But I wonder just who produces this faulty software?

#2650267 - 06/04/17 07:45 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
dhull100 Offline
dhull100  Offline

North Tx
iPad and Mac OS X with updated Firefox slow for me too.

#2650316 - 06/04/17 11:10 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: MacMacMac]  
Piano World Offline
Piano World  Offline

Originally Posted by MacMacMac
This all makes me wonder why the site software had to be changed at all?
I see very little that's good and a whole lot that's bad.

I know Frank is not responsible for the BB software, so it's not his fault.
But I wonder just who produces this faulty software?

MacMacMac,
The changes were made for security reasons, and to make the forums more in compliance with the mandates from the W3C and the big search engines for compatibility with mobile devices. It was a major undertaking for them to make it so it handles the millions of posts that already exist, and they knew their would be issues. They (the developers) are hard at work on the next iteration, which we hope will address many of the issues with this one.

In the meantime I've learned it sometimes helps to try a different browser.

Patience grasshopper, we will get there.

Best,
Frank B.
Piano World

- Frank B.
Founder / Owner / Host
www.PianoWorld.com
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
ProRecord.info
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
My Keyboards:

#2650976 - 06/05/17 09:46 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
ElaineAllegro Offline
ElaineAllegro  Offline

Midwest US
In the few days since my 6/2 post, things have improved considerably: the spacing of the central column (between the ads on either side) has gotten wider, much more like the view in the previous edition. There are fewer "hangups" using the Firefox browser. So, my thanks to Frank and the software team for whatever magic they used to make this work better.

#2651178 - 06/06/17 12:50 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: pianoloverus]  
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Now I'm using my other computer with Windows 10 and Firefox and the above problem is still there. I'd guess a huge percentage of PW members use the same browser and version of Windows.

Update: The most recent problem(directly above)seems to have been fixed now. Thanks!

#2651179 - 06/06/17 12:55 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
Piano World Offline
Piano World  Offline

Note, if you experience very slow loading, please check the lower left of your browser screen to see if it indicates what it is trying to load. There may be a specific ad or script that is causing the hangups.

Thanks,

Frank B.

- Frank B.
Founder / Owner / Host
www.PianoWorld.com
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
ProRecord.info
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
My Keyboards:

#2651638 - 06/08/17 07:04 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: pianoloverus]  
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City

Update: The most recent problem(directly above)seems to have been fixed now. Thanks!

Unforutnately, the problem with freezing with Windows 10 and Firefox has returned.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 06/08/17 07:06 AM.
#2651682 - 06/08/17 10:02 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
Cassia Offline
Cassia  Offline

Portland, OR
Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but signatures don't seem to be appearing (at least mine is not).

Yamaha C2X
#2651704 - 06/08/17 11:05 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: pianoloverus]  
Piano World Offline
Piano World  Offline

Unforutnately, the problem with freezing with Windows 10 and Firefox has returned.

The challenge with this type of issue is that it could simply be a conflict with an add on in your browser, difficult to diagnose from here.
Do you get any type of error messages?
Is there any warning text down in the lower left of the browser window?

- Frank B.
Founder / Owner / Host
www.PianoWorld.com
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
ProRecord.info
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
My Keyboards:

#2654181 - 06/16/17 05:29 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: pianoloverus]  
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City

Unfortunately, the problem with freezing with Windows 10 and Firefox has returned.
Update: The above mentioned problem seems to have been fixed. THANKS!

#2655322 - 06/21/17 11:19 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
Bob Snyder Offline
Bob Snyder  Offline

West Coast
The time shown for when my post was sent - - is way off. I just posted (about 9am west coast time) and it shows as 3pm... as a matter of fact, look at this post right here: it shows as 4:19pm, but I'm posting at 9:20am, west coast time.

windows 10, Chrome.

Last edited by Bob Snyder; 06/21/17 11:21 AM.

Bob Snyder
Senior District Manager
Steinway & Sons

rsnyder@steinway.com
www.steinway.com
#2655323 - 06/21/17 11:30 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Bob Snyder]  
BDB Offline
BDB  Offline

Oakland
The time was a problem for a while, but it seems to be corrected now once you set it correctly in your Preferences.

Semipro Tech
#2656720 - 06/26/17 07:10 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: pianoloverus]  
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City

Unfortunately, the problem with freezing with Windows 10 and Firefox has returned.
Update: A new problem with the PMs. The flashing PM signal stays flashing even after the latest message in the thread has been read.

#2656746 - 06/26/17 09:34 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
wolfgangmeister Offline
wolfgangmeister  Offline

CT
One thing that definitely no longer works in the New Forums are new or old MediaTag links to a video/audio recording contained within a YouTube playlist. The problem exists whether or not I attempt to create a new MediaTag link to a single piece recording (or movement) within a YouTube playlist, or for ones that I had posted in the past - which now look like "dead" black screens. Here is an example:

The following hyperlinks to any given individual YouTube video/audio recording work just fine, either as:

1. a listed hyperlink to the web address:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_T4-jqrcIg

or 2. through PianoWorld's "Insert Link" option:
Jason Solomonides - Chopin: Etude Op.25, No.1, "Aeolian Harp" - Mason & Hamlin BB

or 3. via PianoWorld's "Insert MediaTag" YouTube link option:

HOWEVER, if the hyperlink attempts to link to this SAME individual YouTube recording NOW contained within a YouTube PLAYLIST, this only works as:

1. a listed hyperlink to the web address:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_T4-jqrcIg&index=4&list=PLkP65I5BsNirTcv-nAHm4BXXsCbB_EbAJ

or 2. through PianoWorld's "Insert Link" option:
Jason Solomonides - Chopin: Etude Op.25, No.1, "Aeolian Harp" - Mason & Hamlin BB

but NOT 3. PianoWorld's "Insert MediaTag" YouTube link option - which now produces a "dead" black screen.

As a result, many of the sample recordings I had provided in past PianoWorld postings also no longer work.

Jason Solomonides
Mason & Hamlin 7' BB 93623
Yamaha 6'1" C3 (w/WNG) D3010008
My Piano Recordings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7aJcfJZZvg&list=PLkP65I5BsNirTcv-nAHm4BXXsCbB_EbAJ
Mason & Hamlin Artist
#2656832 - 06/27/17 08:19 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: pianoloverus]  
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City

Update: A new problem with the PMs. The flashing PM signal stays flashing even after the latest message in the thread has been read.
Update! Sorry, I had overlooked that I had a message underneath the message with many posts in my PM so there is no problem with the PMs!!

#2656855 - 06/27/17 09:44 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
MacMacMac Offline
5000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

North Carolina
Two problems:

1. Mark all as read doesn't work. Instead, just exit the browser and come back. Now all threads are read!

2. Slow.
And getting S ... L ... O ... W ... E ... R
And S ...... L ...... O ...... W ...... E ...... R
And S ............ L ............ O ............ W ............ E ............ R

#2656884 - 06/27/17 12:12 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
prout Offline
3000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Southwestern Ontario
OK. Here is a test I performed that provides some data.

I co-ordinated with my son (I was logged in, he was not.) who lives in a different region and uses a different ISP. Internet speeds were 1Gbp/s for him and 200Mb/s for me. I was using Safari and he was using Chrome.

We both clicked on the same page at the same time on PW and waited until it loaded some 30 seconds later. It loaded essentially instantaneously on both our computers at precisely the same time. We then clicked on a different page. I clicked first and he clicked precisely 10 seconds later. After a delay of 15 seconds or so, the page loaded essentially instantaneously on both our computers at precisely the same time.

The above experiment eliminates browser, computer type, connection speed, ISP and queue position as possible sources of this particular problem.

It appears that one of the backend servers is causing mysql or php to actually freeze up. Once the pause is over, everything returns to normal.

There are many reasons for this to occur. Here are a few:

They could try increasing the php.ini memory_limit.
Something is eating up memory, though this should cause a crash, not a pause.
It is possible some java service in the background is constantly doing garbage collection.

Hope they fix this soon.

edit: I take no credit for this knowledge. smirk

Last edited by prout; 06/27/17 02:30 PM.
#2656949 - 06/27/17 03:33 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
prout Offline
3000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Southwestern Ontario
Of a sudden, things have sped up dramatically. Other people noticing this?

Last edited by prout; 06/27/17 04:21 PM.
#2657013 - 06/27/17 06:59 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
prout Offline
3000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Southwestern Ontario
So did your IT people fix the problem or are we just being led on?

#2657155 - 06/28/17 08:09 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
wouter79 Offline
4000 Post Club Member
wouter79  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by wouter79

Hi Wouter,
We aren't ready to set up the forums or recital pages for https: yet, I first have to go back in and set EVERY image to point to https, a task that will take some time.
The primary Piano World site (not the forums or recitals) should work ok as I tried to assign everything with the new version to be secure.

I am curious about the spam message though, we are not on any spam lists that I know of.
Or are you saying our site claims your IP is on our list? That's possible if it's looking at a general IP (used to happen to people with AOL). Can you get me the exact IP?

Thanks,
Best,
Frank B. / Piano World

Frank, sorry for the slow response.

Your IP address is currently listed in the Stop Forum Spam database as a known spammer/spambot, and as such your account cannot be registered. To proceed you'll need to request a removal to clear yourself from their database.

This is a message coming from the pianoworld website.

So yes, your site claims that the IP tor is using is on a spam list.
I can't give you an exact IP, this is exactly a main feature for Tor browser that tries to anonymize your browsing activities. And that's also why I would like to have https working for the forums. Indeed you may see quite some activity from tor IP addresses, as these addresses are shared by many tor users.

#2659883 - 07/08/17 03:13 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
BruceD Offline
BruceD  Offline

Victoria, BC
For the last two days, I have had problems logging in to Piano World. Yes, I am in now.

Either the first or the second log-in screen "hangs." When it's the second log in screen that asks for member name and password, after three or four minutes of "waiting for forum.pianoworld.com..." the log-in times out and I get a message that reads (something like) "Member name/password not found."

What is happening and why?

This happens only with Piano World; any other website I log on to comes up almost immediately.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
#2661272 - 07/14/17 02:20 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
wouter79 Offline
4000 Post Club Member
wouter79  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I can not log in with Tor browser.

I get this
Originally Posted by http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/login.html

It makes no sense to "request a removal" because Tor will change my IP address all the time.

How can I get this working with Tor?

#2662584 - 07/19/17 10:59 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
ando Online content
5000 Post Club Member
ando  Online Content
5000 Post Club Member

Melbourne, Australia
Still the same 10-20 sec freezes happening periodically. I'd say roughly 1 in 10 times I click on a new page within the forum there will be such a delay. Every time I think it's got better, it reverts to the same behaviour. It's got to the point where I spend less time on PW because the waiting is frustrating. Whatever is being addressed to improve it temporarily is not fixing it permanently.

#2662595 - 07/19/17 11:56 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
Piano World Offline
Piano World  Offline

Any time you find a delay in accessing a page, please check to see if your browser is indicating what is causing the load issue.
Whenever I run into something like this I see a message in the very bottom left of my screen telling me what it is trying to load that is not going through.

Having this information would be a big help in tracking down what it is.

Another thing you might try, hit CTRL & F5 to clear the cache or close and open your browser.
Every time you connect to a site (any site) you go through a series of routers on the Internet. Every once in a while I run a trace route (in a dos command prompt tracert pianoworld.) I've seen it go through ten routers all over the country before finally hitting the host computers (which are in Canada). And I've seen it hang up for a long time on one router before being passed off to another.
Any one of the routers along the way can cause a delay, and yes it would take a different path depending upon the site you were trying to connect to.

In the meantime I'm running some tests and looking for ways to improve speed.
One of those tests can be seen here: https://tools.pingdom.com/#!/cJ0MKu/http://forum.pianoworld.com

As you can see by the results, there is no one magic bullet.
Some things I will work on myself, others will require help from our hosting service, and some are beyond my scope.

- Frank B.
Founder / Owner / Host
www.PianoWorld.com
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
ProRecord.info
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
My Keyboards:

#2663211 - 07/22/17 08:23 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
Beemer Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Beemer  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Scotland
Any time you find a delay in accessing a page, please check to see if your browser is indicating what is causing the load issue.
Whenever I run into something like this I see a message in the very bottom left of my screen telling me what it is trying to load that is not going through.

Having this information would be a big help in tracking down what it is.

Another thing you might try, hit CTRL & F5 to clear the cache or close and open your browser.
Every time you connect to a site (any site) you go through a series of routers on the Internet. Every once in a while I run a trace route (in a dos command prompt tracert pianoworld.) I've seen it go through ten routers all over the country before finally hitting the host computers (which are in Canada). And I've seen it hang up for a long time on one router before being passed off to another.
Any one of the routers along the way can cause a delay, and yes it would take a different path depending upon the site you were trying to connect to.

In the meantime I'm running some tests and looking for ways to improve speed.
One of those tests can be seen here: https://tools.pingdom.com/#!/cJ0MKu/http://forum.pianoworld.com

As you can see by the results, there is no one magic bullet.
Some things I will work on myself, others will require help from our hosting service, and some are beyond my scope.

Frank,

As sent to you in my recent PM the message on the bottom left indicates "waiting for forums.pianoworld" Previously the messages indicated the advertiser service causing the delay but not anymore. I have no delay problems with any of my ten (not pianoworld) forums. I regularly clear my cache and do other computer housekeeping.

EDITED: I wrote too soon about no waiting for advertiser loading to complete. Now I have no completion at all on piano forum after several minutes. Messages are alternating between:

"waiting for bid.contextweb.com..."

and

"track1.aniview.com..."

regards,

Ian

Last edited by Beemer; 07/22/17 08:37 AM.

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
#2664767 - 07/29/17 11:54 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Beemer]  
Beemer Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Beemer  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Scotland
Update:

I have solved the webpage delay problem by stopping everything related to Google analytics. Forum page changes are now instant.

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
#2664772 - 07/29/17 12:12 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
Rosewood17 Offline
Silver Subscriber
Rosewood17  Offline
Silver Subscriber

United States

Not a problem per se, but just wondering if we could have a "Like" button on posts. There are many times when I like a post or agree with a post but don't have anything to add to what has already been said. It would be great to have a way of expressing agreement or support for what someone else has already posted.

Last edited by Rosewood17; 07/29/17 12:14 PM.

Roland LX-7
Started lessons in April, 2017
In progress: Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course: Lesson-Theory-Technic: Level 2 | Les Petits Images, Late Elementary Level (Jennifer Linn) | Fundamentals of Piano Theory - Level 1 | Hanon: The Virtuoso Pianist in 60 Exercises
#2665842 - 08/03/17 07:24 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Rosewood17]  
Beemer Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Beemer  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Scotland
Originally Posted by Rosewood17

Not a problem per se, but just wondering if we could have a "Like" button on posts. There are many times when I like a post or agree with a post but don't have anything to add to what has already been said. It would be great to have a way of expressing agreement or support for what someone else has already posted.

Why introduce clutter? If your proposal was accepted then others would be asking for a "dislike" button.

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
#2667235 - 08/09/17 03:40 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
Davdoc Offline
Davdoc  Offline

Maryland, USA
This may not be considered as a problem, but I just found it odd why search engine would behave differently.

Whenever I would like to come to Piano World, I just typed "Piano World" in Google search and this site almost came up on top. For some reason recently, a different site, Carlson's Piano World, came as the top result.

I am not against Carlson's, and of course I can always use Bookmark function to save this step. I am an illiterate when it comes to how search engines sort their results. I am just curious about this change.

1969 Hamburg Steinway B, rebuilt by PianoCraft in 2017
2013 Steinway (NY) Model A
Kawai MP11, bought 2017

Previously owned a 2005 Yamaha GB1
#2669735 - 08/22/17 01:55 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
PhilipInChina Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PhilipInChina  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Bulgaria
I don't suppose that this is the correct place to mention this. It is very minor, and I am probably doing something wrong.

I tend to log in to the forum, open the most recent thread and then just click on "previous thread" until I have read all the threads with anything new. Sometimes I am taken to the most recent posting, sometimes I am taken to the very beginning of the thread. Why is this?

BTW I thought it was better when the "previous thread" option was at the bottom of the page, not the top, but this is scarcely an inconvenience.

10 out of 10 for an excellent site!

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
#2669741 - 08/22/17 03:10 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
UKIkarus Offline
UKIkarus  Offline

England, South East
I'm not sure about the "Previous Thread" button and how it determines where it points to exactly, but you can always use the "Active Threads" button to see all of the most recent posts on the forum.

Also I use Koniro theme and the tweet/like buttons at the bottom above the quick reply are annoyingly off-set, with regards to the "previous thread" button being at the top of the page, I'm sure they could tweak the template and add another link at the bottom if they wanted, should only take a couple lines of code. smile

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
#2682364 - 10/15/17 12:40 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
500 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Orange County, California
Thank you for bringing the "Top" link back. Not sure when it came back, but I just noticed it now ;0

Currently Working On
RCM 4 Pieces
Nuvole Bianche - Einaudi
Sound of Silence - Viktoriya Yermolyeva arrangement
Random stuff
---------------------------
SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

New Topics - Multiple Forums
New Chinese made Baldwin 7 foot grand
by 7naturals. 11/22/17 01:23 AM
Moonlight Sonata Sostenuto
by Weiyan. 11/22/17 12:53 AM
Experience with Redbird, Concertpianos, and “Maestro”?
by Duke of Dunning. 11/21/17 06:26 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics182,879
Posts2,673,446
Members89,168
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission