Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
Who's Online Now
59 registered members (Agent88, Bill McKaig,RPT, Axel Ramge, barbaram, ando, 9 invisible), 1,684 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#2645165 - 05/19/17 12:59 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City
Please see these threads for my problems and some replies:
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...roblem-with-the-pw-site.html#Post2644822
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...his-problem-with-the-pw-site.html#UNREAD

These included the forum freezing for around 20 seconds when using Firefox and Windows 7 when I go back to a forum after opening a thread on that forum. This is not a problem in Internet Explorer.

There is a problem when using Internet Explorer. The only way to stay logged in is to NOT select the "keep me logged in" choice. If you do select that choice you immediately lose the logged in status upon returning to the forum.

I didn't see this thread to report problems at first(and that's why I started my own thread) because I use the color scheme with a black background and white print. When using that color scheme the "permanent" threads at the top each forum just appear in white and the text can't be read.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 05/19/17 05:38 PM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2645300 - 05/19/17 10:25 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
JKG71 Offline
JKG71  Offline

CA
Edited in my stuff followed list all seems to be well now.
Thank you for a wonderful forum.

#2645312 - 05/20/17 12:20 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
outo Offline
3000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Finland
The old forum was not working very well with my windows phone, so I expected a lot from the upgrade. Unfortunately it's now even worse. The scaling is off and posting is a nightmare because the pages keep jumping and flashing irregularly and the pointer refuses to go where I want it to go in the writing field.

#2645393 - 05/20/17 08:57 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: outo]  
Piano World Offline
Piano World  Offline

Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
Originally Posted by outo
The old forum was not working very well with my windows phone, so I expected a lot from the upgrade. Unfortunately it's now even worse. The scaling is off and posting is a nightmare because the pages keep jumping and flashing irregularly and the pointer refuses to go where I want it to go in the writing field.

Hi outo,
It would help when reporting to include as many details as possible.
In this case, which OS (Android, iOS, etc.) and which version.

Some users are reporting marked improvement since the update, others are reporting issues.
I am reporting any issues to the developers of the software we license, but they need details.

Best,
Frank B. / Piano World

- Frank B.
Founder / Owner / Host
www.PianoWorld.com
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
ProRecord.info
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
www.linkedin.com/in/pianoworld
My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190 w/ ProRecord, Yamaha P-80, Estey 1895 Pump Organ, Harpsichord (kit), Clavichord (kit), Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
Invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2645455 - 05/20/17 01:46 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
KawaiDon Offline
1000 Post Club Member
KawaiDon  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
Frank,
I am having problems with the forum keeping me logged in. I have cookies enabled.
If I log in and select "keep me logged in" then as soon as I go to a forum I am no longer logged in.
If I log in and do not select 'keep me logged in" then it keeps me logged in for this session, but does not remember me the next time I visit.

I'm wondering if this is related to my logging in on different computers and from different locations? I regularly use 3 different computers (home, laptop, office). Does your system remember users by IP address, and block remembering them if we change? Because I travel for a living, you know . . .

All of my computers use Windows 10 ver .1703 with the most recent Edge browser.

Don

Don Mannino, MPA
Kawai America
#2645487 - 05/20/17 05:35 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
outo Offline
3000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Finland
Originally Posted by Piano World
Originally Posted by outo

Hi outo,
It would help when reporting to include as many details as possible.
In this case, which OS (Android, iOS, etc.) and which version.

Some users are reporting marked improvement since the update, others are reporting issues.
I am reporting any issues to the developers of the software we license, but they need details.

Best,
Frank B. / Piano World

Well, it's windows 8.1. I know I should get a better phone but I hate Android even more...

#2645492 - 05/20/17 05:58 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
Piano World Offline
Piano World  Offline

The issue with the videos is with the ones that include the extra information about who's list it came from.

If the link is just a basic YouTube link like this one (the code looks like this: https://youtu.be/IL_IeQb65XU )

it should work fine (and yes that's me, at NAMM in 2010.

It's only when additional parameters are added that it has a problem.

- Frank B.
Founder / Owner / Host
www.PianoWorld.com
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
ProRecord.info
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190 w/ ProRecord, Yamaha P-80, Estey 1895 Pump Organ, Harpsichord (kit), Clavichord (kit), Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880

#2646397 - 05/23/17 01:01 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
BruceD Offline
BruceD  Offline

Victoria, BC
I have been posting images on Piano World for a number of years following Frank's instructions in this thread

Posting images on PW

Why, now, am I not getting links to an image I am trying to post in the Photo Gallery? When I have selected an image in the "Image Manager" (and the indication is that I have done so, showing the number of images selected and the size of the image(s)). When I then click on "Done" (to indicate I have completed adding all the photos I want to add), the Photo Manager window disappears. There is no "Submit" button, which is next supposed to appear. With the "Submit" button, I should see a copy of the image with three links below it, small, medium and large among which I can choose to add an image directly into a post.

The image does appear in the Photo Gallery, but the expected three links are not there. If I open the image, I can get the link but it has an html. extension, and I can't post the image. I can insert the link in my post but I can't insert the image in my post, even though I am using the "Image Tag" button in the "Full Editor" screen.

Why is this happening? If I hadn't been posting images regularly, I might ask: "What am I doing wrong?" I'll ask anyway: "What am I doing wrong?"

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
#2646403 - 05/23/17 01:18 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
Piano World Offline
Piano World  Offline

Hi Bruce,
You aren't doing anything wrong, the developers appear to have changed things, not necessarily for the best.

For now you can right click on the image and choose "Copy image location" , then click the image tag icon in your post menu , right click in the URL box and choose paste.

I've been letting the developers know that some of their changes seem like a step backwards, making things more difficult rather than less.

BTW, I used the above procedure to pull this image in.

[Linked Image]

- Frank B.
Founder / Owner / Host
www.PianoWorld.com
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
ProRecord.info
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
My Keyboards:

#2646417 - 05/23/17 01:48 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
BruceD Offline
BruceD  Offline

Victoria, BC
Frank:

Many, many thanks for your very prompt reply to my query. You suggested solution works!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
#2646854 - 05/24/17 11:00 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
BDB Offline
BDB  Offline

Oakland
One thing I am missing is the button to go to the index of the area that you have posted to. I realize that you can go up to the top of the page, and click on it (here it would be Piano Forum in this:
Piano World Home Page > Forums > Piano Forum > Problems with New Forums? Report It Here!), but the button at the bottom was easier to get to and to understand.

Semipro Tech
#2647427 - 05/26/17 07:23 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City
In addition to the problems I mentioned on May 17, when using Internet Explorer with Windows 7 I cannot post a comment by just using the "post reply" button. he page just freezes and I have to refresh the page to complete the posting.

#2648487 - 05/30/17 06:58 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City
"These included the forum freezing for around 20 seconds when using Firefox and Windows 7 when I go back to a forum after opening a thread on that forum."

The above problem seems to have been fixed. THANK YOU!

#2649143 - 06/01/17 08:55 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
prout Offline
3000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Southwestern Ontario
It certainly has not been fixed.

It still occurs about 90% of the time on my iPad and my Windows 10 platforms. Very frustrating. It used to be caused by Java scripts. The problem disappeared when I disabled Java scripts. I'll try that and report back.

#2649148 - 06/01/17 09:03 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
prout Offline
3000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Southwestern Ontario
Disabling Java scripts fixes the problem. This is a very poor coding sequence.

Obviously you can't post anything if Java scripts are disabled. Very frustrating.

#2649569 - 06/02/17 11:58 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City
From an earlier post I made:
"These included the forum freezing for around 20 seconds when using Firefox and Windows 7 when I go back to a forum after opening a thread on that forum."

The above problem seems to have been fixed. THANK YOU!

Now I'm using my other computer with Windows 10 and Firefox and the above problem is still there. I'd guess a huge percentage of PW members use the same browser and version of Windows.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 06/02/17 12:00 PM.
#2649575 - 06/02/17 12:19 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
BruceD Offline
BruceD  Offline

Victoria, BC
The only problem I am having (using Google and Windows 10) is occasional lengthy delays in logging in. Whether it's the first screen (You are not logged in. Please log in) or the second screen where I am asked to log in with my user name and password.

This also happens on occasion when I want to move from one Forum to another or even one thread to another.

Occasionally, losing patience, I opt to quit the log-in screen, or wherever I am on the site, go back to my browser and start the process over again which (usually) gets me into the site almost instantaneously. But it's a little frustrating when I am already on the PW website, to have to restart the process when I can't make my next move.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
#2649587 - 06/02/17 12:54 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
casinitaly  Offline

Italy
I am finding the system terribly slow when accessing PMs. It takes forever to load the page and open the PMs.

[Linked Image]
#2649592 - 06/02/17 01:12 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
Piano World Offline
Piano World  Offline

Hard for me to pin down the issues because I'm not experiencing them on my Windows 10 system using Firefox.

I would suggest everyone make sure they have the latest iteration of your browser, which you should do anyway for security reasons.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and maintain a list of the issues to share with the developers.

- Frank B.

- Frank B.
Founder / Owner / Host
www.PianoWorld.com
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
ProRecord.info
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
My Keyboards:

#2649600 - 06/02/17 01:35 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
Almaviva Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Almaviva  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Richmond, Virginia
Originally Posted by Almaviva
I am using an HP PC with Windows 10. I also use an HP PC with Windows XP at work. I am experiencing the same problem on both computers.

I refer you to the recent Piano Forum thread "Rebuilt Blüthner Patent grand (not mine)", created by Joe80. A number of bloggers have replied to this thread with video clips that they have posted. Not all of the video clips work now. One clicks on the video clip, and one gets the message "An error occurred. Please try again later".

SOME of the video clips are working after the update, but they were ALL working fine before the update.

Almaviva,
I'm not seeing any problems with the videos, can you point me to specific ones that aren't working for you?

Best,
Frank B.

Frank, the post numbers are 2641366 and 2641375, both of which were posted by "Miguel Rey" on May 8, 2017. The video clips included in these posts worked fine before the update; now they don't.

#2649606 - 06/02/17 01:49 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Almaviva]  
Piano World Offline
Piano World  Offline

I am using an HP PC with Windows 10. I also use an HP PC with Windows XP at work. I am experiencing the same problem on both computers.

I refer you to the recent Piano Forum thread "Rebuilt Blüthner Patent grand (not mine)", created by Joe80. A number of bloggers have replied to this thread with video clips that they have posted. Not all of the video clips work now. One clicks on the video clip, and one gets the message "An error occurred. Please try again later".

SOME of the video clips are working after the update, but they were ALL working fine before the update.

Almaviva,
I'm not seeing any problems with the videos, can you point me to specific ones that aren't working for you?

Best,
Frank B.

Frank, the post numbers are 2641366 and 2641375, both of which were posted by "Miguel Rey" on May 8, 2017. The video clips included in these posts worked fine before the update; now they don't.

The issue is with videos that have extra code in their links. Some of them have additional parameters indicating what YouTube channel the video is on, and/or other data. Turns out allowing the extra code could present a security risk.
The new version of the forums won't display the videos if they have the extra code, they need to be just the basic YouTube link.

- Frank B.
Founder / Owner / Host
www.PianoWorld.com
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
ProRecord.info
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
My Keyboards:

#2649615 - 06/02/17 02:17 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
prout Offline
3000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Southwestern Ontario
Slow loading of pages is common on both my iPad and my windows 10 computers running windows explorer 11xxx. This is fixed by disabling Java scripts.

It is not consistent, howevever, even with Java scripts enabled. Roughly 10% of the time the pages load nearly instantaneously.

iOS 10.3.2

windows 10 latest updates daily automated

Last edited by prout; 06/02/17 02:38 PM.
#2649627 - 06/02/17 02:35 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: prout]  
Piano World Offline
Piano World  Offline

Originally Posted by prout
Slow loading of pages is common on both my iPad and my windows 10 computers running windows explorer 11xxx. This is fixed by disabling Java scripts.

It is not consistent, however, even with Java scripts enabled. Roughly 10% of the time the pages load nearly instantaneously.

I've asked the IT guy from the place where we host Piano World to take a look, he's very good and he may discover a glitch somewhere, or a way to tweak some settings.
In the meantime, please keep posting in this thread if you are experiencing any problems. Remember it helps to provide the details, including which browser and what version, as well as which Operating System you are using.

Thanks,
Frank B.
Piano World

- Frank B.
Founder / Owner / Host
www.PianoWorld.com
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
ProRecord.info
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
My Keyboards:

#2649634 - 06/02/17 02:45 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
prout Offline
3000 Post Club Member
prout  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Southwestern Ontario
It is interesting that this same Java Script issue causing slow loading pages cropped up in February 2016 when the 'Language' select button was added. It was apparently fixed.

#2649686 - 06/02/17 04:27 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
casinitaly Offline

casinitaly  Offline

Italy
Hard for me to pin down the issues because I'm not experiencing them on my Windows 10 system using Firefox.

- Frank B.

I'm using Windows 10 and Firefox too! Weird..... and we just upgraded recently to fibre optic internet services.

[Linked Image]
#2649697 - 06/02/17 04:55 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: casinitaly]  
ElaineAllegro Offline
ElaineAllegro  Offline

Midwest US
I'm using Windows 8 and Firefox browser on a 2 year old desktop PC. There are two major problems:

1. The width of the forum is much narrower than before, so there's a lot more scrolling. In "Forums," I used to be able to see everything down to Piano Teacher's Forum all at once; now I can see only Piano Forum (the top-listed forum); then I have to scroll to see ABF, PC, PTF, etc. I'm in the Coffee layout, as before.

2. After I go into a forum, click on a topic and read, I can't get back to the topic list, or even scroll down the page. My computer seems to hang up for a minute or more. It's like the days of dial-in modems! I never had any wait moving between topics in the old version of PW. (I see this was also reported by pianoloverus above.)

As per casinitaly, we also have fiber optic Internet services.

I don't experience either of these problems on my Samsung Android smartphone, but that's not my preferred way to access PW.

Thank you to Frank for the upgrades and the trouble-shooting effort.

#2650221 - 06/04/17 02:00 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
MacMacMac Offline
5000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

North Carolina
This all makes me wonder why the site software had to be changed at all?
I see very little that's good and a whole lot that's bad.

I know Frank is not responsible for the BB software, so it's not his fault.
But I wonder just who produces this faulty software?

#2650267 - 06/04/17 07:45 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
dhull100 Offline
dhull100  Offline

North Tx
iPad and Mac OS X with updated Firefox slow for me too.

#2650316 - 06/04/17 11:10 AM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: MacMacMac]  
Piano World Offline
Piano World  Offline

Originally Posted by MacMacMac
This all makes me wonder why the site software had to be changed at all?
I see very little that's good and a whole lot that's bad.

I know Frank is not responsible for the BB software, so it's not his fault.
But I wonder just who produces this faulty software?

MacMacMac,
The changes were made for security reasons, and to make the forums more in compliance with the mandates from the W3C and the big search engines for compatibility with mobile devices. It was a major undertaking for them to make it so it handles the millions of posts that already exist, and they knew their would be issues. They (the developers) are hard at work on the next iteration, which we hope will address many of the issues with this one.

In the meantime I've learned it sometimes helps to try a different browser.

Patience grasshopper, we will get there.

Best,
Frank B.
Piano World

- Frank B.
Founder / Owner / Host
www.PianoWorld.com
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
ProRecord.info
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
My Keyboards:

#2650976 - 06/05/17 09:46 PM Re: Problems with New Forums? Report It Here! [Re: Piano World]  
ElaineAllegro Offline
ElaineAllegro  Offline

Midwest US
In the few days since my 6/2 post, things have improved considerably: the spacing of the central column (between the ads on either side) has gotten wider, much more like the view in the previous edition. There are fewer "hangups" using the Firefox browser. So, my thanks to Frank and the software team for whatever magic they used to make this work better.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Pearl River Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

New Topics - Multiple Forums
New Chinese made Baldwin 7 foot grand
by 7naturals. 11/22/17 01:23 AM
Moonlight Sonata Sostenuto
by Weiyan. 11/22/17 12:53 AM
Experience with Redbird, Concertpianos, and “Maestro”?
by Duke of Dunning. 11/21/17 06:26 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics182,879
Posts2,673,446
Members89,168
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission