2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 10 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
At the end of 22 submissions in a row (since recital #24) I'm really close to skip this one...
My idea was to submit "Le Matin" by Yann Tiersen but an unexpected trip in the last two weeks didn't let me practice to do a decent record, so the piece isn't ready. Plan B is to submit a short piece from my repertoire, but I'm insanely busy this week (including the weekend) and I really don't know if I can have some free time till the deadline.
Anyway, with or without my own piece, I will review all your submissions. wink

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
I just submitted my first entry! Chopin's Prelude in E min. I know, it's been done dozens of times, but it was short enough that I was able to get through it in only about 40 takes. Nearly 4 years and I feel like such a beginner (sigh).

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
I'v just submitted my piece. I’m a bit apprehensive as I’m playing piano since 8 months and I am not in very favorable age to start. But anyway I think that over all recital is very good idea.

My You Tube Channel
Roland LX17
L
L
Originally Posted by sinophilia

I agree with what was said - i.e. it doesn't need to be polished - BUT I would suggest submitting something that you've already worked on for a while and "digested". It makes everything easier. It allows to work on interpretation and expression and receive more useful feedback, maybe.

I have gotten both the interpretation and dynamics well under control for the waltz. The only thing left is getting the middle slow section up to speed.

If I fail to get it to a reasonably satisfactory level in the time allotted, I'll definitely switch it out with something else but getting feedback on something I'm already really good at and know like the back of my hand seems redundant. I would much prefer feedback on something I am still learning and struggling with, possibly improving on aspects I didn't know about. :3

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
This is a pre-recital for me so that people can tell me what I need to fix before the one on June 18th, which I'll be more focused on after 5/28 (Exam Date) smile

Which recital is that, then? (June 18) . . .I must've blinked or something . . .

This is for the music school I go to. I have to perform it in front of real live people ;0

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
@luckiest_charm - I think it's perfectly fine to submit whatever you have. I'm trying to get my video part near perfect, but I'm beginning to realize that it will make me go crazy if I keep trying to. There is a certain section I struggle with (I'm not consistent), so I'm thinking it might be best to submit and show that and hopefully get help from others here.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

L
L
@luckiest_charm - I think it's perfectly fine to submit whatever you have. I'm trying to get my video part near perfect, but I'm beginning to realize that it will make me go crazy if I keep trying to. There is a certain section I struggle with (I'm not consistent), so I'm thinking it might be best to submit and show that and hopefully get help from others here.

The format of submission is supposed to be mp3 as far as I understand, with a CBR of 192 Kbps unless I got something wrong.
That aside, I kind of agree that getting a perfect video recording of something you're still not confident playing can be a nightmare. A few days ago I had a 24 hour deadline to transcribe a piece, learn it and record it. Needless to say, had to take about 300+ takes. xD

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
It does need to be MP3, but the bitrate can be whatever you like. It's just that the overall file needs to be less than 20MB. So if your piece is just a minute, it can probably be much higher bitrate if you prefer ;0

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

L
L
It does need to be MP3, but the bitrate can be whatever you like. It's just that the overall file needs to be less than 20MB. So if your piece is just a minute, it can probably be much higher bitrate if you prefer ;0

Then what do you mean by getting the video part perfect? Is it something personal or related to the recital? Actually, I'd prefer providing a video over audio any day.

S
S
Originally Posted by luckiest_charm

Then what do you mean by getting the video part perfect? Is it something personal or related to the recital? Actually, I'd prefer providing a video over audio any day.

You can submit both an MP3 and a link to your video, the latter being optional.

Last edited by SMA55; 05/11/17 12:18 PM.
K
K
gonna participate too, with an invention by Bach. Cheers!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by luckiest_charm

I'm referring to the execution of a trill. I outlined my struggles with it when I submitted an audio file for the recital and grabbed my spot in the queue. You'll be able to read it when the recital posts. I got lucky with the audio file, which was in fact taken from a video file, but that video file is no good because I hit the zoom button prior to hitting the record button. There is a previous post on it. I'm trying to do another one.

If I can get a better video before Sunday, I'll submit that. Otherwise, I'll keep the audio file and link to another video file I have now (it's good enough) because it's shows what I'm currently struggling with and that might better to show so as to get feedback on how to make it consistent. I plan to play the piece next month at the music school's recital.

In short, I guess what I'm trying to say is that it might better (for me) not to obsess about it because whatever I submit isn't going to be perfect anyway. It will be better to get feedback and how I can improve it.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
In case anyone is confused, videos are optional - all you need to participate is an mp3 file.

I used to make videos with scrolling scores, but it just got to be too time consuming. And too stressful trying to get the best recording I could and syncing the recording with the score in the video. Now I just do the mp3 recording, and try to do that in one take, or just a couple of takes.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Ok, I'm in at #28. Just did 2 takes of a short piece; no time to do more.
And one more Einaudi piece to the menu wink

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by CarlosCC
Ok, I'm in at #28. Just did 2 takes of a short piece; no time to do more.
And one more Einaudi piece to the menu wink

Carlos, great, I look forward to that, it was the first Einaudi I ever tried as a total stretch piece just for the fun of it, after 3 months, it took about another 3 months for me to play it back then, not well, but I could get through it as such without mistakes or missing notes, but I could not do it justice of course back then, In fact I find to this day very hard to do it justice, it's one of my Einaudi bug bears, though I love it laugh

That taught me lesson not to ever try pieces away above my level ever since, I had to unlearn it and let it go for a few month before I could get back to it and approach it fresh.
Several times I was so close to submitting it amongst other pieces, and every time my In Principio I was not quite happy, one of these days ....

Last edited by Alexander Borro; 05/12/17 03:03 PM.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Woohoo! I'm in at 30 (30th to submit, that is, not my age!)

I've been dying for this to come around, as, I missed the last one as I just had not yet recovered from my November crash. I love these recitals, so, missing one was tough.

It continues to be nice to see newcomers. For anyone vacillating between joining and sitting out, I command you to join in. It is a great experience.

As always, I can't wait to hear what you all have played! smile

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I seem to be specializing in procrastination this recital. Only 2 days left!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Sam S

Sam

"ONLY 2 DAYS" sounds so pessimistic. Think of it as 48 WHOLE HOURS! laugh

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Decided to participate last night. Practised my piece this morning. Recorded straight afterwards. Submitted right after that. This is my most efficient recital preparation ever!

Be yourself

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Sam S

I finally decided on the piece yesterday... Now I only have to learn and record it...no other weekend plans needed!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission