2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 12 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 20 1 2 18 19 20
A
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by JustHarmony
I was, and am, quite interested in the topic of equal temperament and modern vs. historic iterations and discussions of "equal" temperament.... but I seem to have jumped into a mess of petty bickering. What a disappointment. Shall I begin a new thread for those who actually want to discuss?

Bummer.

JH

Hi JH,

I am still happy to discuss modern ETs and historical temps.

You may well start a new thread, why not, or add on to this one, it makes no difference to me.

As I see it, it might be like in a kitchen, you have to discard the dirt and keep the good.

Regards, a.c.

alfredo
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
If tuning were a competition to see who can tune the sharpest treble (and flattest bass) this would, of course be nothing new and some would bend over backwards to win.

But.....

I don't see it as a competition.

I am not arguing nor would I attempt a value judgement but merely reporting on the historical side of the material implied by the title of the thread and it's current validity where other instruments are involved, Particularly since I tuned all of the pianos for the masterclasses given by the principal players in the Berlin Phil on their recent visit here and discussed some of the issues with some of them.

Does anyone else here regularly attend masterclasses given on all families of orchestral instruments by their greatest exponents in order to gain a greater understanding? If not, why not? They're entirely free of charge.

Oh, and I regularly tune the soundstage pianos used for major movie soundtracks where only the finest of musicians are employed.

I sincerely hope nobody minds me posting my experience and factual knowledge, current and historical, on this thread.

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

A
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by rXd
If tuning were a competition to see who can tune the sharpest treble (and flattest bass) this would, of course be nothing new and some would bend over backwards to win.

But.....

I don't see it as a competition.

I am not arguing but merely reporting on the historical side of the material implied by the title of the thread and it's current validity where other instruments are involved, Particularly since I tuned all of the pianos for the masterclasses given by the principal players in the Berlin Phil on their recent visit here and discussed some of the issues with some of them.

Does anyone else here regularly attend masterclasses given on all families of orchestral instruments by their greatest exponents in order to gain a greater understanding? If not, why not?

Oh, and I regularly tune the studio pianos used for movie soundtracks where only the finest of musicians are employed.

I sincerely hope nobody minds me posting my experience and factual knowledge on this thread.

I do not mind you posting on this thread, rXd.

I had a nice chance to attend those type of masterclasses twice, each time for two weeks in two different years.

Originally Posted by alfredo capurso
Originally Posted by rXd

...//SNIP//...

I describe a genuine historically informed ET that may date back to the 1850's at least, that is to say, to the seeds of the development of the modern piano. I only positively know of its existence over ninety years with personal experience of fifty of them. Living history if you like, those tuners of bygone days were no slouches, I have read some of their articles in old monthly "pianomaker" magazines dating from the 1920's and observed the work of and been taught by their students. Their accuracy was no different than today's very best efforts. They were trained as apprentices by masters who insisted on standards no different than the standards that produced the great pianos of old. A triumph of craftsmanship over technology. Tuning standards were the same.

It would take me too many words, in order to elucidate how standards and techniques develop in time.

The video linked below may work much better, hope you enjoy it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaGUW1d0w8g

Regards, a.c.

alfredo
J
J
Thanks for the encouragement, alfredo, but... well... I feel as though I'm about to "step in it" if I continue with this thread or start another. Those who know me would be stunned that I'm turning away from this topic by choice!

Maybe I'll hang around for a while and glean what I can from what others have already said.

Like I said... bummer.

JH

J
J
Ahhh... I can't help myself after all. I started a new thread after ending up on topics of temperaments and tuning in another thread (temperaments and tuning: why it matters for pianists). It's more general, at this point, than discussing specific ETs, but feel free to come along to discuss. Hope to see some of you there. smile

JH

Last edited by JustHarmony; 03/08/15 06:06 PM. Reason: left out title of new thread
A
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

Hi All,

Thank you, JH, for starting your thread then (link below), and thanks to all partecipants. There I got more indications and explainations, I was finally able to understand more.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2395490/1.html

Here I would like to track a work by Haye Hinrichsen (link below), and I would like to thank Isaac Oleg for being there with his integrity.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1508.02292

Your comments are welcome.

Kind regards, a.c.

alfredo
A
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

***2017***

To All

Happy New Year

alfredo
A
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

Hi,

Just to share an analysis (1989) on intonation. If you register, you can read it online for free.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/3344702?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

Regards, a.c.

alfredo
Page 20 of 20 1 2 18 19 20

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission