2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Adam Reynolds, cascadia, Carey, accordeur, 1957, 20/20 Vision, 36251, BillS728, Bruce Sato, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 2,258 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

Thanks for this wonderful posting ElaineAllegro! I'm still waiting for the green light from my teacher to get started. I'll be meeting with him in less than two weeks. I'm hoping I will have made enough progress with my current assignments that he'll give me the green light to start the Prelude.

In the meantime, I really appreciate your postings. It gives me some ideas of what I might expect when I finally get started.

Carl

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Does anyone play this in tempo? When Rachmaninoff himself recorded, there were some drastic fluctuations in tempo. Is that how everyone else plays it, or do you play it with a metronome?

Poetry is rhythm

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

I seriously doubt that Rach intended the piece to be played strictly "in tempo." And certainly, practicing with a metronome throughout would be ill advised. crazy

Yes - some pianists perform the piece with significant tempo fluctuations. My personal preference (having lived with this work for almost 60 years now and finally recording it a couple of years ago) is to make a gradual transition to the tempo change in the middle section leading up to the climatic descending chords.

https://youtu.be/Kx_RdoVGBhA

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
B
B
Originally Posted by phantomFive
Does anyone play this in tempo? When Rachmaninoff himself recorded, there were some drastic fluctuations in tempo. Is that how everyone else plays it, or do you play it with a metronome?

Metronome, what metronome? wink

Almost every concert pianist speeds up during the passages with running chords in both hands. (I do too, though I'm no concert pianist.) Otherwise, it sounds plodding.......

If music be the food of love, play on!
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T

Good grief! No metronome. That damned thing originally was invented to provide a guide to the composer's choice of tempo, certainly not as the instrument of torture it has too frequently become today. You cannot play a piece of music AS music with a metronome. You'll get an acoustic version of the horrible computerized "programs" ... with all the life sucked right out of it.

The "life" of music is the ebb and flow of dynamics and tempi. The only use for a metronome is either to check the suggested tempo ... or to work out a difficult portion by repeating the notes in strict time. One you can play those notes, then kick the metronome under the piano. And forget about it. eek

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by TheHappyPianoMuse

The "life" of music is the ebb and flow of dynamics and tempi. The only use for a metronome is either to check the suggested tempo ... or to work out a difficult portion by repeating the notes in strict time. One you can play those notes, then kick the metronome under the piano. And forget about it. eek

I'm a little uncertain how you feel. Can you please clarify your thoughts on metronomes?

Poetry is rhythm
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi All

When reading this please bare in mind I am not primarily a 'classical' pianist, though my reading is decent and I passed grade 6 many decades ago.

For sheet music I have the Alfred Masterworks edition. A year or two ago I learned the first page (what I call the chord section). This was not that difficult as after a bit of analysis I could see the chords on the page, and didn't have to read all the individual notes.

I then started working on the 2nd section and got up to and including the descending chord climax. This was much more difficult, and after a few months work I got frustrated and then side-tracked and the piece of music accidentally on purpose buried itself.

Having seen this post its inspired me to have another go, so I've found the music again. It would be nice to try and get to the end this time.

I don't ever expect to be able to play this perfectly, particularly after the first page, but would be happy if I could at least get the end imperfectly!

A couple of questions:

1. Bar 51 the opening 2 beats - I don't see how this can be played with only 2 hands?!
2. are there any other non-classical pianists out there with any tips for studying something like this.

That said I'll take any help I can get!

Many thanks

Simon

Casio PX-S3000
Korg SV2S (73)

ABRSM Grade 7 distinction 2023.
Decent blues/rock Pianist.
Try to play Jazz Piano, but pretty rubbish.
Studying ABRSM grade 8 now.

B
B
Originally Posted by Simon_b
1. Bar 51 the opening 2 beats - I don't see how this can be played with only 2 hands?!

You could do what this pianist does:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifKKlhYF53w grin

Alternatively, just listen to any other YT to hear how other pianists do it without, er.....implements.

If music be the food of love, play on!

Online Content

You should play this the same way you play measures 53, 27, 28, 31 and 32. Using the sustain/damper pedal, strike the lower notes/chords slightly before the downbeat, then play the upper notes/chords on the downbeat. You'll need to practice the leaps. smile

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks, understood.

Cheers

Simon

Casio PX-S3000
Korg SV2S (73)

ABRSM Grade 7 distinction 2023.
Decent blues/rock Pianist.
Try to play Jazz Piano, but pretty rubbish.
Studying ABRSM grade 8 now.

Online Content

Thanks, understood.

Cheers

Happy to help. Good luck !! smile

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
I'm going to try recording it with minimal tempo changes in the largo section. I think the key is to keep the sonority of the individual chords interesting, and then it won't get boring. There is a lot you can do with the balance, etc. there.

Poetry is rhythm
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
My idea is that ambient sound can be really quite beautiful just by itself. A glass armonica, or trickling water in a cave.

Secondly when listening to real bells, like the big bell in the cathedral in Vienna, or the haunting bell in Hiroshima, the harmonics can be so rich and varied that a single bell by itself can be a sonic wonderland. I think something of this can be reproduced with this piece. I don't know that I am good enough to do it, but I'll try something of an approximation.

Poetry is rhythm
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
^ and having discovered that, you can go listen to some Oliveros, Cage or Saariaho and have a wonderful time!

I had some very good advice from a teacher once that, for very slow tempos, one must consider the beauty of the piano and the room that one is performing on. For exactly the reasons you say. You can get a wonderland from certain pianos and certain rooms, but others just won't do it, and in those others you have to go a little faster and rely on other interpretive choices.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by hreichgott
^ and having discovered that, you can go listen to some Oliveros, Cage or Saariaho and have a wonderful time!

I had some very good advice from a teacher once that, for very slow tempos, one must consider the beauty of the piano and the room that one is performing on. For exactly the reasons you say. You can get a wonderland from certain pianos and certain rooms, but others just won't do it, and in those others you have to go a little faster and rely on other interpretive choices.

That's a nice comment, thankyou for posting it.

Poetry is rhythm
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
I finally fulfilled my commitment from three years ago! This is close to my best at my current technique level, I think. Any suggestions or criticisms more than welcome.

As I played this, I really started getting depressed. It's a very somber piece.

Poetry is rhythm
P
P
Nicely done. If you don't mind I have a couple of suggestions:
- I think your tempos in the first and ending sections are a little fast.
- Try to balance the chords to the top note a little more. This will help give your playing even more brilliance.
- perhaps ease into the tempo change for the middle section. It felt a little jarring. Give yourself time to work up to the descending chords. That would also let the melody sing a little more. I think the time to make a sudden change is coming out of if this section. Notice the A G# C# are half notes instead of quarters.
- I appreciate your regularity of tempo within each section, but it could relax a little; it needs a little more ebb and flow.
- Don't be afraid to show off. Be a full virtuoso; whatever you think is right (within reason) at that moment actually is.

[edit] I forgot to say - all of that is just my opinion. If you or your teacher disagree, go right ahead and ignore me grin

Last edited by P3T3R; 05/04/17 08:57 PM.

Peter
1949 Baldwin M
currently working on Brahms op. 10 Ballades, f-minor sonata and 2nd concerto
Mendelssohn Songs Without Words and E minor Prelude and Fugue
whatever strikes my fancy today.
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
This is good advice. I have to ask, I am not sure what you mean by this:

Originally Posted by P3T3R

- Don't be afraid to show off. Be a full virtuoso; whatever you think is right (within reason) at that moment actually is.

Can you explain a bit?

Poetry is rhythm
P
P
This is good advice. I have to ask, I am not sure what you mean by this:

Originally Posted by P3T3R

Can you explain a bit?

I just mean that you can take more liberty with it. Stretch a note here or there, break before tbe resolution of a climax, just try some things that you imagine only a distinguished virtuoso could get away with. I find it helpful to play a piece like this with very extreme virtuosity and then reign it in.

Peter
1949 Baldwin M
currently working on Brahms op. 10 Ballades, f-minor sonata and 2nd concerto
Mendelssohn Songs Without Words and E minor Prelude and Fugue
whatever strikes my fancy today.
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
ok, I will do my best!

Poetry is rhythm
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission