2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Craig Hair, Cheeeeee, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 4 invisible), 1,269 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
C
danielp11,

Your final question confirms my conclusion that you don't read my posts thoroughly before attempting to respond.

I said in my first post that I am a Yamaha U1 Silent (upright) owner that I have played on for over 12 years and have recently purchased a Yamaha Grand (C5X) Silent as well. If anyone is experienced with the Yamaha silent pianos, that would be ME. The same QuickEscape mechanism has been used in both Yamaha Uprights and Grands and the link I shared with you in my last post was from the official Yamaha website for North America, which means whatever information you will find on this website cannot be wrong or untruthful, or Yamaha would be in serious trouble by making untruthful claims about their products thereby deceiving/misleading their customers.

So, the official Yamaha website validates what I have also experienced personally as an owner and player of a Yamaha Silent Upright, which is when the Yamaha silent uprights are used in the non-silent mode, they have the same feel and action of the same models that don't have the silent feature option. As a professional player, I have owned and played on multiple Yamaha U1s over the years, some with the silent function, which I have owned for the last 12 years, and some without the silent system, which I regularly play at a school where I also teach. I can confidently say that the feel and touch of my U1 Silent when it is used in the non-silent function is the same as that of all the other comparable U1s without the silent feature that I get regularly to perform and teach on.

Finally, as someone who recently purchased one of the Yamaha's silent grands (C5X SH), I have to tell you that Yamaha silent grands like their silent uprights, when used in their silent mode, the feel/ action changes very slightly, which, some less experienced players may not even notice. But I have noticed the difference on both Yamaha uprights and grands. Although the touch/feel comes really close in both their uprights and grands, it is still slightly different from when they are used in non-silent modes.

The link below, which is withdrawn from the official website for Yamaha Pianos USA, contains the specs for their U1 Silent, which I own. As you can see, the QuickEscape mechanism has been listed under Silent Function/Sensor System for their U1 pianos as well:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/silentpianos/upright_pianos/u1_sh/

Last edited by Classical Pianist; 05/08/17 12:43 PM.
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Classical Pianist
danielp11,

Your final question confirms my conclusion that you don't read my posts thoroughly before attempting to respond.

I said in my first post that I am a Yamaha U1 Silent (upright) owner that I have played on for over 12 years and have recently purchased a Yamaha Grand (C5X) Silent as well. If anyone is experienced with the Yamaha silent pianos, that would be ME. The same QuickEscape mechanism has been used in both Yamaha Uprights and Grands and the link I shared with you in my last post was from the official Yamaha website for North America, which means whatever information you will find on this website cannot be wrong or untruthful, or Yamaha would be in serious trouble by making untruthful claims about their products thereby deceiving/misleading their customers.

So, the official Yamaha website validates what I have also experienced personally as an owner and player of a Yamaha Silent Upright, which is when the Yamaha silent uprights are used in the non-silent mode, they have the same feel and action of the same models that don't have the silent feature option. As a professional player, I have owned and played on multiple Yamaha U1s over the years, some with the silent function, which I have owned for the last 12 years, and some without the silent system, which I regularly play at a school where I also teach. I can confidently say that the feel and touch of my U1 Silent when it is used in the non-silent function is the same as that of all the other comparable U1s without the silent feature that I get regularly to perform and teach on.

Finally, as someone who recently purchased one of the Yamaha's silent grands (C5X SH), I have to tell you that Yamaha silent grands like their silent uprights, when used in their silent mode, the feel/ action changes very slightly, which, some less experienced players may not even notice. But I have noticed the difference on both Yamaha uprights and grands. Although the touch/feel comes really close in both their uprights and grands, it is still slightly different from when they are used in non-silent modes.

The link below, which is withdrawn from the official website for Yamaha Pianos USA, contains the specs for their U1 Silent, which I own. As you can see, the QuickEscape mechanism has been listed under Silent Function/Sensor System for their U1 pianos as well:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/silentpianos/upright_pianos/u1_sh/

Hello Classicalpianist

I understand perfectly what you say, but i dont know if you really understand the mechanics in these silenct systems.
In the link which you just provided,

click on the pdf "silent flyer pdf". In this pdf it says under "study" "quick escape GP ONLY".

So yamaha contradicts itself to the specs of the U1, and all the piano stores i visited (and the link which I provided in my previous post) which confirmed that this aditional mechanics on each key, which is expensive, is only to be found on their grands.

Another link with an official yamaha video: https://youtu.be/4M13L7ZtuaA
At about 0:40 they mention the "regulation rail" which connects to the quick escape action part on each key. This rail is (i think and all the technicians in the stores i have spoken to) only built into their grands.

Daniel

Last edited by danielp11; 05/08/17 01:41 PM.

KAWAI CS11 (sold KAWAI CA 97), KAWAI GX2 acoustic grand piano (sold SCHIMMEL acoustic upright)
C
C
danielp11,

I disagree with you, but will let this post be my last response to you.

You have the right to think what you think based on your research and I have the right to think what I think based on facts, evidence and personal experience.

Everyone's reality is different, which is proven in this case.

I won't argue with you any further.

D
OP Offline
D
Hello classical pianist:

I dont want to argue with you, i just want to figure out the real and not the alternative facts.

There is only a very subtle difference on uprights in acoustic mode between a piano with silent system and one without. When you don't play them side by side it's hard to tell.

The additional price for on sh silent system in a yamaha grand is about 3 times the additional price of an silent system in an yamaha upright in germany.

The price difference is (i think) because of the additional mechanics on each key on a grand.

According to a shop owner in germany uprights are very often ordered with a silent system, while grands are almost always ordered without.
That led me to the conclusion that a normal technician knows how to regulate a "normal" silent system in uprights (including yamaha, which is in my opinion also "normal"), but has no clue how to regulate that much more complicated system on a yamaha grand.

Because of these possible regulation problems with an average technician, I ordered a grand without silent system.

I bet that your technician does not know how to regulate each key with quick escape and regulation bar. You can also adjust the letoff point DIFFERENCE between acoustic and silent play for each key on a yamaha grand with sh silent system, while you can "only" adjust the letoff point and not the difference on jamaha uprigths (both with or without silent system).

Because you can't adjust the DIFFERENCE on uprights, the letoff point has to be adjusted a little bit further back in order not to damage the hammershanks in silent play.

BTW: Have you taught "clair de lune" by debussy? I am at about measure 51 now. I hope the hardest measures are behind me. My teacher (former concert pianist) is easily sight reading that piece, but i am having a hard time...

Greetings from germany
Daniel

Last edited by danielp11; 05/08/17 03:04 PM.

KAWAI CS11 (sold KAWAI CA 97), KAWAI GX2 acoustic grand piano (sold SCHIMMEL acoustic upright)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission